PDA

View Full Version : Read before flashing bios update

numanuk
05-12-2014, 04:48 AM
After seeing many users here with bricked laptops after BIOS flashing I decided to write this thread.

-Make sure BIOS is for your system.

-Got an external HDD using NTFS? Got many folders on this drive because you use it to backup all sorts of things right? Think you can copy the BIOS to update to the root folder and flash without problems? Think again any folders on the NTFS drive will brick your laptop. This probably applies to FAT32 formatted drives as well.

-When choosing a file to flash, make sure eazyflash can see the bios revision you are going to flash, if it says unknown you probably have a folder on the drive. Format and copy the bios file over again.

-ALWAYS use a FORMATTED usb stick when flashing make sure the only thing on it IS files NO folders whatsoever or you'll end up with a brick.

Be mindful of these things and you wont have to do this ever!!

billyray520
05-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Good advice! FAT32 formatted AND BOOTABLE USB stick with necessary files. I keep one such USB stick dedicated to just this sort of work. Used it to flash the Video Bios as well. Can also be used for updating other computer/laptop BIOSs. Extra files won't hurt, but no need for subfolders. :)

numanuk
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
ASUS does need to improve their EazyFlash utility though. The folder issue seems to suggest they havn't fully implemented the NTFS filesystem in the BIOS, perhaps they never tested it with the typical data people tend to have on their drives.

I'll have to do some more research on it, testing it with usb drives made with windows xp and windows vista/7/8, I think XP uses NTFS 5.1 and windows vista/7/8 use NTFS 6 perhaps the subtle differences between them are enough to throw eazyflash off under certain circumstances.