PDA

View Full Version : loose power jack

sstansifer
05-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone. I can't seem to find information on this so I'd figure I'd ask. I have a G750 and for some reason the jack where the power cord plugs in doesn't lock the cord into the laptop. It sits in there loose. Battery and everything work fine it's just annoying because it's very easy to unplug the power. Really annoying while gaming. Is this normal? If not is there a simple fix? Any help would be awesome.

MrRuckus
05-15-2014, 04:23 PM
It should be snug. Shouldn't be loose. Mine is held in with a good amount of pressure needed to get it out. I'm sure there are pieces of metal that press on the walls of the AC plug in the laptop, not sure how to manipulate them though. Maybe somebody else has some experience with that. But the plug looks pretty enclosed.

HomieOC
05-15-2014, 08:42 PM
mines loose.... tooo idk why.. it wiggles.. when i tug on it plugged in.. is that normal?

hmscott
05-16-2014, 03:30 AM
mines loose.... tooo idk why.. it wiggles.. when i tug on it plugged in.. is that normal?

HomieOC, don't wiggle it :)

It isn't a locking connector, I haven't seen any that are for a long time, if you get caught up in the wires of a locking power cord it will pull the laptop to the floor, so that is why it is an easy release cable.

It is tight enough to stay in on it's own, but any kind of tug will pull it out.

If you have a tendency to yank it out, be happy it doesn't hold on and pull the laptop to the floor...I don't recommend jerry-rigging a lashing to hold it in, as you are setting yourself and the laptop up for a fall later.

I dress the cable to drape behind the laptop, and out of the way of anything that would tug it out.

HomieOC
05-16-2014, 05:03 AM
HomieOC, don't wiggle it :)

It isn't a locking connector, I haven't seen any that are for a long time, if you get caught up in the wires of a locking power cord it will pull the laptop to the floor, so that is why it is an easy release cable.

It is tight enough to stay in on it's own, but any kind of tug will pull it out.

If you have a tendency to yank it out, be happy it doesn't hold on and pull the laptop to the floor...I don't recommend jerry-rigging a lashing to hold it in, as you are setting yourself and the laptop for a fall later.

I dress the cable to drape behind the laptop, and out of the way of anything that would tug it out.

omg thank you !! im so glad its normal.... it actually has come out of the socket a few times and i wasnt even tugging on it,.. i was simply moving the laptop, and i'm glad t has this feature lol

hmscott
05-16-2014, 05:12 AM
omg thank you !! im so glad its normal.... it actually has come out of the socket a few times and i wasnt even tugging on it,.. i was simply moving the laptop, and i'm glad t has this feature lol

Apple has a cool solution to the problem, surface mount connections held on with magnetism. It holds on a little better, the break away force required is greater than a lose connector, but not so high as to fail to disconnect should the weight of the laptop start entering into the tug.

The angled connector on the Asus cord helps to keep it from pulling out, as the force is off axis, but that can work against you too when it digs in against the sides of the connector, but if it is pulling out ok for you then it is working as expected :)