PDA

View Full Version : G750JH Intermittent failure to start on or switch to battery power

Sean72
05-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Hey,

My G750JH-db71 of about 2 months since purchase has an intermittent problem running or starting on battery power. I use it as a desktop replacement, but still need to take it into the field occasionally. When I first pulled the power out while it was on, it just died. And it wouldn't start up on battery. But sometimes, it does work. And yet today, I could not start it without power plugged in again.

So, I have tried/checked the following:

-Battery says 97% not charging, but I have had it run on battery before
-I can pull the battery out while the notebook is on and running on a/c power, and the charging indicator shows the battery is gone
-I can put the battery back in while on a/c power and the battery links back up and says 97% not charging
-There is an identical unit in the other office which does not have this problem. I took its battery out and hot swapped it in. It happened to be after the battery had been used down to 88% or so, and once plugged into my machine, it accepted it and showed that it needed charging and started charging it. But even with that battery in, when I pulled the a/c power, the unit instantly dies.

Could there be any other reason for this besides a hardware failure, and what would be the best next step?

BTW, this is my second Asus, I had/still have as backup the G73JH and I absolutely love these units.

Sean

hmscott
05-16-2014, 02:18 AM
Hey,

My G750JH-db71 of about 2 months since purchase has an intermittent problem running or starting on battery power. I use it as a desktop replacement, but still need to take it into the field occasionally. When I first pulled the power out while it was on, it just died. And it wouldn't start up on battery. But sometimes, it does work. And yet today, I could not start it without power plugged in again.

So, I have tried/checked the following:

-Battery says 97% not charging, but I have had it run on battery before
-I can pull the battery out while the notebook is on and running on a/c power, and the charging indicator shows the battery is gone
-I can put the battery back in while on a/c power and the battery links back up and says 97% not charging
-There is an identical unit in the other office which does not have this problem. I took its battery out and hot swapped it in. It happened to be after the battery had been used down to 88% or so, and once plugged into my machine, it accepted it and showed that it needed charging and started charging it. But even with that battery in, when I pulled the a/c power, the unit instantly dies.

Could there be any other reason for this besides a hardware failure, and what would be the best next step?

BTW, this is my second Asus, I had/still have as backup the G73JH and I absolutely love these units.

Sean

Sean, nice debugging, and it looks like you proved it is something internal to the laptop as the problem.

If it won't start on either battery, with all the nice debugging details you gave, it looks like there is a problem internal to the laptop, and you will need to return to seller if it is still possible (within return period), or you need to start an RMA with Asus to fix the problem.

You can sign up here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with all the details you posted here and ask for an RMA.

http://vip.asus.com

Let us know how it works out for you :)

Sean72
05-16-2014, 03:13 AM
Well, FWIW, I spoke to support on chat, and they told me to do three things to fix this:

-Reset BIOS to default with F2 to get in, then F9 to reset them, then F10 to save and exit.
-Go to device manager and uninstall the "ms acpi compliant control method battery", but not delete the drivers if it asks.
-He also said "Also, after loading optimized defaults, I recommend a system refresh. Pleased be advised this will not affect your files such as photos or music but it will uninstall all the apps and programs you have installed on the unit."

So I did the first two, and pop's your uncle, but it now works. I never thought that a notebook refusing to start on battery could be related to drivers. Maybe it was the BIOS. But unfortunately, I did both of them at the same time, so I don't know which one to recommend.

I'll watch and test it and update here if it happens again, and what it takes to fix or if it turns out to be something that actually does need repairing. And I really don't want to go back to the start and do a system refresh, so that I'm holding on in the hopes it isn't necessary.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 03:27 AM
Well, FWIW, I spoke to support on chat, and they told me to do three things to fix this:

-Reset BIOS to default with F2 to get in, then F9 to reset them, then F10 to save and exit.
-Go to device manager and uninstall the "ms acpi compliant control method battery", but not delete the drivers if it asks.
-He also said "Also, after loading optimized defaults, I recommend a system refresh. Pleased be advised this will not affect your files such as photos or music but it will uninstall all the apps and programs you have installed on the unit."

So I did the first two, and pop's your uncle, but it now works. I never thought that a notebook refusing to start on battery could be related to drivers. Maybe it was the BIOS. But unfortunately, I did both of them at the same time, so I don't know which one to recommend.

I'll watch and test it and update here if it happens again, and what it takes to fix or if it turns out to be something that actually does need repairing. And I really don't want to go back to the start and do a system refresh, so that I'm holding on in the hopes it isn't necessary.

Sean72, cool, those are the things to try when a battery isn't charging, that's the first time I have heard it applied to power fail on battery :)

I hope that is the fix, let us know down the road how it goes.

Thanks for posting a follow up!

Sean72
05-16-2014, 04:22 PM
I spoke too soon. Now it stopped working again, and no amount of reinstalling the battery drivers or resetting the BIOS makes any difference... now what?

Also, when I select restart, especially from the win 8.1 log in screen before logging in, the system sort of half shuts down, with the keyboard lights still on and the wireless light on. It sits this way for a while, maybe a minute or longer, and eventually, will restart, usually if I press a key e.g. Esc. or something like that. And I have a difficult time getting into the BIOS screen, it takes a number of tries to do so, whether I hold down or repeatedly press F2.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 04:25 PM
I spoke too soon. Now it stopped working again, and no amount of reinstalling the battery drivers or resetting the BIOS makes any difference... now what?

Also, when I select restart, especially from the win 8.1 log in screen before logging in, the system sort of half shuts down, with the keyboard lights still on and the wireless light on. It sits this way for a while, maybe a minute or longer, and eventually, will restart, usually if I press a key e.g. Esc. or something like that. And I have a difficult time getting into the BIOS screen, it takes a number of tries to do so, whether I hold down or repeatedly press F2.

Did you upgrade the BT driver to the latest Windows 8.1 version for your hardware from the new G750JM area? That is the symptom of the long shutdown from a down rev BT driver.

You can also try disabling BT from the PC settings, and enable Airport mode, with the Wifi slider enabled. That worked for me until the working Windows 8.1 BT driver update arrived.

Sean72
05-16-2014, 04:32 PM
I'll have to look that one up. I know that when using the BT feature with my BT headphones, the system slows down and e.g. Google music playing in Chrome stops responding for about 30 seconds every once in a while

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out if I have the right G750JH-DB71 BIOS, there are multiple on the site and the FAQ page they say to read doesn't open.

I just don't understand how Windows can have any influence on actual ability for the hardware to power up, even on battery. What if I pull out the hard drives, shouldn't the BIOS be the only determiner of start up behavior?

hmscott
05-16-2014, 04:35 PM
I'll have to look that one up. I know that when using the BT feature with my BT headphones, the system slows down and e.g. Google music playing in Chrome stops responding for about 30 seconds every once in a while

Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out if I have the right G750JH-DB71 BIOS, there are multiple on the site and the FAQ page they say to read doesn't open.

I just don't understand how Windows can have any influence on actual ability for the hardware to power up, even on battery. What if I pull out the hard drives, shouldn't the BIOS be the only determiner of start up behavior?

You are over-thinking it, if the BT driver is active, as it is at boot and at shutdown, it has the ability to hose the system, and in fact, does :)

It takes 5 seconds to disable BT, give it a try. :)

The JH has 2 models, the JH and the JHA, use CPU-Z to look up which you have - the motherboard tab will show the BIOS version, then download the newest of the version you have, and update. If you want to get fancy, go into the BIOS after the update and Set Defaults, Save, and reboot again to Windows.

Sean72
06-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Well, I tried uninstalling BT, but it always re-installs itself on the next boot. I have however succeeded in disabling it and it has stayed disabled. But that hasn't affected the no-boot-on-battery problem. I rolled the BIOS back to the original version it shipped with and it still has the problems. It is most disturbing to pull the power out of one's notebook and have the machine die instantly. It looks like it must be some hardware thing, can't figure anything else. I've cleaned the battery connectors on the notebook side, tested another battery...

If I do get it to run on battery, then set my open, running notebook on its side and tap it on the bottom or give it a gentle shake, it often will die. I've looked inside at the HDD, RAM and SSD stuff without seeing anything amiss, but I'm not going to dig inside beyond what the warranty allows, the machine is too new.

While I am 99% certain that the whole system reset thing that ASUS suggested will do nothing, I get the feeling that they will do nothing unless I take that step. Is there any way to properly clone the 256 GB RAID 0 basic disk, or will I just have to do a simpler data copy and start over? Any idea how long it might take to get it serviced? I need this machine for my work.

hmscott
06-17-2014, 05:27 AM
Well, I tried uninstalling BT, but it always re-installs itself on the next boot. I have however succeeded in disabling it and it has stayed disabled. But that hasn't affected the no-boot-on-battery problem. I rolled the BIOS back to the original version it shipped with and it still has the problems. It is most disturbing to pull the power out of one's notebook and have the machine die instantly. It looks like it must be some hardware thing, can't figure anything else. I've cleaned the battery connectors on the notebook side, tested another battery...

If I do get it to run on battery, then set my open, running notebook on its side and tap it on the bottom or give it a gentle shake, it often will die. I've looked inside at the HDD, RAM and SSD stuff without seeing anything amiss, but I'm not going to dig inside beyond what the warranty allows, the machine is too new.

While I am 99% certain that the whole system reset thing that ASUS suggested will do nothing, I get the feeling that they will do nothing unless I take that step. Is there any way to properly clone the 256 GB RAID 0 basic disk, or will I just have to do a simpler data copy and start over? Any idea how long it might take to get it serviced? I need this machine for my work.

Sean72, the new battery slap on the side failure would be enough for me to ry to return the laptop to the seller. Sometimes a vendor will understand and allow a return, it will be quicker than RMA.

If you need to RMA, you are going to want to write clear documentation on how to recreate the problem, maybe even include a video in the zip file attached to the Technical Inquiry to start the RMA.

By reset do you mean power reset, taking out the power / battery and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, and then reassemble and power up? It sounds like you mean Reload the System software...

You can backup an image of the RAID0 with Macrium Reflect, not sure if you can restore with out the $ version, but here is their site:
http://www.macrium.com/
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx <== Free

You can backup personal info, and files to the 1TB drive, but don't forget to take out the 1TB drive before doing the system recovery restore, it will erase all the partitions on all the drives connected, before re-creating partitions, and re-creating the OS drive / Bay 2 setup.

You might want to use Asus Backtracker to make a recovery flash drive and restore from that, that way if it went wrong, you would have the flash recovery backup drive - note it only backs up the Recovery Partition - you still need to back up your stuff.

The newest version is in the G750JM download area, but here is the Windows 8.0 version
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS%20Backtracker/HelpDesk_Download/

But, like you, with the physical induced failure, and the bad battery contact for your original battery, I agree that it sounds like a physical problem that needs fixing.

Let us know how it works out :)

Sean72
06-17-2014, 06:05 AM
I'll take a closer look at Macrium Reflect. Amazon says I'm too far from the purchase date for a return, so I guess it will be RMA. I hope it doesn't take too long. I'll have to go back to my G73JH for a while, nice machine, but going to be sooooo slow compared to the G750JH.

One thing I did learn last time I spoke to Asus was to contact them on another machine, not the one in question. They don't seem to have a way to re-contact the same person, so once you reboot... you have to start again unless you've opened a proper support ticket.

hmscott
06-17-2014, 06:32 AM
I'll take a closer look at Macrium Reflect. Amazon says I'm too far from the purchase date for a return, so I guess it will be RMA. I hope it doesn't take too long. I'll have to go back to my G73JH for a while, nice machine, but going to be sooooo slow compared to the G750JH.

One thing I did learn last time I spoke to Asus was to contact them on another machine, not the one in question. They don't seem to have a way to re-contact the same person, so once you reboot... you have to start again unless you've opened a proper support ticket.

Sean72, if you have Amazon Prime you can get consideration for late return, I have have done it as long as 90 days, but you do have to be nice and persistant, and have a good reason, which I think you do - that problem wouldn't show up unless you moved the laptop around a lot, but it sounds like you had it in place for a couple of months - so you wouldn't see the failure until past the normal return date. Give it a try :)

If you are talking about Chat then yes, you need to connect from a different machine, as part of the debugging might require rebooting the problem machine. And, always open a support ticket for a real problem, chat isn't going to solve serious problems like yours.

Have fun :)