PDA

View Full Version : G750JS GeForce card problem

theclaw37
05-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Just bought this today. Installed windows 8.1, everything fine. Then i try to run thief with the Nvidia card. Game works for about 2-3 mins, then crashes the driver pretty bad (with artifacts on screen). Now NOTHING that requires the nvidia card (GTX 870M) works, and even windows is sluggish (for example when i try to run the Nvidia control panel). I tried reinstalling windows and the drivers again, but th same thing happened. Is this a HW problem? What do i do?

hmscott
05-16-2014, 03:43 AM
Just bought this today. Installed windows 8.1, everything fine. Then i try to run thief with the Nvidia card. Game works for about 2-3 mins, then crashes the driver pretty bad (with artifacts on screen). Now NOTHING that requires the nvidia card (GTX 870M) works, and even windows is sluggish (for example when i try to run the Nvidia control panel). I tried reinstalling windows and the drivers again, but th same thing happened. Is this a HW problem? What do i do?

theclaw37, once the Nvidia driver crashes you have to reboot Windows to get back to normal speed. I haven't had a crash for quite a while, but next time I plan on logging out and logging back in to see if exiting the desktop will restart the display driver - saving a reboot.

Did you do your own "clean install" of Windows 8.1 from Microsoft media, or did you do a restore recovery from the Asus OEM configuration?

What is the Nvidia driver version you are running now?

The latest for the GTX8xxm series is 337.50 BETA. These are early days for these new 8xxm cards, so there will be teething problems through the first few driver releases from Nvidia. Sorry to say, it is just the way it is with Nividia and new chipsets.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/74637

theclaw37
05-16-2014, 05:46 AM
Hello Scott. After the driver crashed, i rebooted many times. I've installed Windows 8.1 from Microsoft, i've even installed Windows 7 (I'm a student and i have access to Windows keys through DreamSpark), and tried with both the driver from Asus AND the driver from Nvidia.

Here's how the computer behaves (that leads me to believe it's a real HW problem):
- When i boot Windows, before showing the log-in screen, it takes about a minute for the screen to come up (Possibly trying to access the GTX)
- When i right-click on the desktop, it takes about another minute (Probably because the menu contains the NV control panel option)
- Can't even open GeForce Experience.
- FurMark runs perfectly with the Intel HD 4600, but when i try to run it with the GTX, it says there's no compatible OpenGL hardware installed (And that i should buy a GeForce 6 or higher lol :) ).
- Thief doesn't even try to open.
- General stutter in a CLEAN system install after the crash, that leads me to believe every time the system tries to access the GTX, it has problems and falls back to Intel but it takes a while.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 06:08 AM
Hello Scott. After the driver crashed, i rebooted many times. I've installed Windows 8.1 from Microsoft, i've even installed Windows 7 (I'm a student and i have access to Windows keys through DreamSpark), and tried with both the driver from Asus AND the driver from Nvidia.

Here's how the computer behaves (that leads me to believe it's a real HW problem):
- When i boot Windows, before showing the log-in screen, it takes about a minute for the screen to come up (Possibly trying to access the GTX)
- When i right-click on the desktop, it takes about another minute (Probably because the menu contains the NV control panel option)
- Can't even open GeForce Experience.
- FurMark runs perfectly with the Intel HD 4600, but when i try to run it with the GTX, it says there's no compatible OpenGL hardware installed (And that i should buy a GeForce 6 or higher lol :) ).
- Thief doesn't even try to open.
- General stutter in a CLEAN system install after the crash, that leads me to believe every time the system tries to access the GTX, it has problems and falls back to Intel but it takes a while.

theclaw37, did the G750 exhibit any of these problems before blowing away the OEM Asus Windows configuration and installing Windows 8.1 from scratch?

Before throwing in the towel and contacting Asus for an RMA, that is the first thing I would do, boot from the Asus Backtracker Flash drive backup you made of the original Recovery partitions, do a recovery install, and see if the Asus Windows 8.1 configuration works ok.

Installing Microsoft Windows from scratch on a laptop isn't the same as a desktop, there are a number of drivers and configuration specifics that aren't uploaded by the manufacturer for you to download, you have to figure out what is missing. It isn't unusual for experienced people to fail at it, and give up without success.

There is no performance advantage in doing a Microsoft Windows install from scratch over the Asus OEM build. The best and quickest path is to use the Asus OEM install and then uninstall what you don't need.

You could try getting the 337.50 BETA, unzip it into a folder, go into the Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia video adapter, and then scan for hardware changes, and point the installer to the 337.50 folder.

If that doesn't do it, there might be down rev / not installed Intel chipset, Intel GPU, Intel Management, or other support drivers.

I hope you have a backup of the original Asus OEM build, but if you don't you could go to the store you got the G750 with a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive, and ask politely to build an Asus Backtracker recovery out of it. I think on the new G750's the Asus Backtracker comes installed and ready to burn a flash drive. The other choice would be to borrow their boot drive to see if booting your G750 on it will get rid of the Nvidia card issues you are seeing.

theclaw37
05-16-2014, 06:11 AM
Hey. Well, my laptop version came with Free-DOS, so there's no Asus OEM Windows. I also installed every necessary driver from the Asus support page, to no avail.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Hey. Well, my laptop version came with Free-DOS, so there's no Asus OEM Windows. I also installed every necessary driver from the Asus support page, to no avail.

Your Asus G750JS didn't come with Windows 8.1? Where are you?

Yeah, that's the problem I am talking about, Asus won't post all the drivers for download, just the ones updated since the OEM build.

I haven't heard of Asus shipping laptops without Windows, so if your region does that I don't know what to say to help. Maybe Asus will let you ship it to them to get a Windows 8.1 install, if you ask nicely. You may have to get a language/keyboard matching close to your region, but not quite.

Is this the Freedos config you got?
http://shop.datacom.bg/eCom/product_info.php/g750js-t4046d-asus-g750js-t4046d-p-25987?osCsid=5bbd5f0601d770bb3d3b78d84fadf23d

Maybe someone here with a G750JS can take a nice screenshot of their Programs and Features items - with the version / name clearly displayed (expand the column) so that theclaw37 can try to replicate the items needed for full function?

theclaw37
05-16-2014, 06:17 AM
I'm in Romania :). But as i mentioned, the card WORKED for about a minute or so (in Thief), and then crashed the driver (with some pretty bad artefacts on screen) and never worked again.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 06:25 AM
I'm in Romania :). But as i mentioned, the card WORKED for about a minute or so (in Thief), and then crashed the driver (with some pretty bad artefacts on screen) and never worked again.

Without a known good Windows config on which to do the testing I wouldn't give up on the Nvidia card yet...

How the heck are you supposed to make use of a G750JS with freedos?

What is the problem with distributing Windows 8.1 in Romania? Can you get a G750 Windows config there? Is there any hope of finding a JS with the Asus Windows config installed that you can clone or make an Asus Backtracker backup?

theclaw37
05-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Nope... :). There are variants with Windows installed, but i have no known friends that have one.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Nope... :). There are variants with Windows installed, but i have no known friends that have one.

How about the dealer you bought it from? If you just got it, and the GTX card is bad, you should return it to them anyway, they would be doing themselves a favor to trade you a JS with Windows 8.1 installed, or help you get your Windows 8.1 config running to avoid you returning the laptop.

theclaw37
05-16-2014, 07:02 AM
That's what i'm going to do (hopefully today). I'm going to demand a replacement, as i really need this laptop to be functioning (for work).

theclaw37
05-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Update: Went to the store and replaced the laptop today. Even they couldn't figure out what the problem was, so it was indeed most likely HW. The new one now works flawlessly.

hmscott
05-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Update: Went to the store and replaced the laptop today. Even they couldn't figure out what the problem was, so it was indeed most likely HW. The new one now works flawlessly.

theclaw37, that's good news, glad to hear you now have a working G750JS :)