PDA

View Full Version : dvd drive keeps making function sounds even when browsing web

mintys1
05-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Just recently as the title describes, I keep getting the dvd drive starting up even when browsing..its the same sound as when you open iTunes up it checks for any media...but just lately has started doing it more randomly...
any ideas?

Suspirion
05-16-2014, 02:35 PM
No idea, I have something similar happening, I hear it spin when I start to run any movie (it spins for a few seconds then stops).
Also movie playing is delayed for those few seconds. (doesn't matter if the movie is from local or external HDD )
I am running Win7.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Guys, take out the media from the drive :)

Many programs will stat all the drives, which will spin up an optical disk if it is in the drive, then it takes a while for the OS to be satisfied with the media, and then it will spin down again, but if your browser stats it again, it will do the dance with the media all over again.

The drive will be quiet if there is no disk in there, or if you pop the tray by pushing the eject button - if you want the media to stay in the tray.

Sean72
05-16-2014, 04:17 PM
My drive does that same irritating spin up check all the time, and the bay is empty. Every time I play e.g. a video from Windows Media Player off of my hard disk, the CD drive spins up. Very irritating. G750JH-DB71. This is not normal, nothing like this has happened on any of my previous machines including my G73JH.

hmscott
05-16-2014, 04:19 PM
My drive does that same irritating spin up check all the time, and the bay is empty. Every time I play e.g. a video from Windows Media Player off of my hard disk, the CD drive spins up. Very irritating. G750JH-DB71. This is not normal, nothing like this has happened on any of my previous machines including my G73JH.

Try popping the tray open with the eject button, and see if the drive noise stops.

rurik133
05-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Hi Alll,
Have same issue with my G750JX, hearing very frequently that DVD drive trying to spin up with no media inside :confused:
Very curious if anyone can found solution for this....

hmscott
05-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Guys, I always uninstall Asus Power4Gear, so I can't double check, but there was a "ODD" option in Power4Gear Hybrid settings. Try unchecking that option, or better yet, uninstall P4G and reboot.

Suspirion
05-18-2014, 10:06 PM
I don't have any media in the drive, nor do I have Power4Gear installed. just to make things clear :)

hmscott
05-19-2014, 12:27 AM
I don't have any media in the drive, nor do I have Power4Gear installed. just to make things clear :)

Suspirion, did you try leaving the tray popped out a tad? That should take the drive offline, and at least get rid of the annoying accesses till the real solution is found.

googling it looks like this has been a problem off and on for a long time on Windows. I haven't seen it myself, so I am trying to think of the things I did that would affect / keep this from happening to me, and sharing them with you.

Here are a couple more:

1) Turn off disk sleep in Power Plan, it might affect the optical drive too, and when a program stat's the available drives it causes the DVD drive to wake up and go through it's start up sequence - even with no media in the drive.

2) Check your Anti-virus to make sure it doesn't stat the Optical drive - uncheck the drive letter for the Optical in the AV settings. I uninstall McAfee, and use Norton Internet Explorer, so if McAfee is doing this then uninstalling it or reconfiguring to not check the Optical media drive might fix it.