PDA

View Full Version : G60JX-RBBX05 Keyboard problem - missing keys/letters.

Darkning
10-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey guys, I know this laptop is a bit older(2009?) but ever since I bought it I've been struggling with the same missing keystroke/letter/lagging keyboard issue that alot of the G73 users have mentioned having. I noticed there's a G73 thread regarding new bios updates and something about a vBios? update.

I guess my question is will the bios for that laptop work in my g60jx(I don't think it will), and if not then what are my options for removing the keyboard lag problem? My temporary solution has been to uninstall the Synaptics drivers(which absolutely fixes the typing problem) and use the default windows 7 drivers, but accidentally palm tapping now is as much of a problem as the faulty keyboard ever was beforehand. Any suggestions?

If there's a way to just remove the tap-to-click with the default Windows 7 PS2 touchpad drivers then that would be perfect but I haven't been able to find one yet.

Thanks!

dstrakele
10-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Flashing the BIOS has the potential of rendering your system unusable if anything goes wrong. You don't want to do it unless the release notes indicate it resolves a problem you currently experience on your system. You definitely do not want to flash a BIOS from another system.

If ASUS does provide a BIOS update to resolve your missing keystroke issue, it is recommended that you place it on a USB drive or a USB flash drive formatted in FAT32 as opposed to NTFS.

Darkning
10-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah I woudn't dare attempt to install the BIOS for another machine on this. Could spell doom in no time at all.

Any other suggestions than waiting on Asus? The most recent BIOS for this computer came out over a year ago.

JRd1st
10-08-2011, 04:44 PM
What BIOS does your unit have now? (You can find out by going into the BIOS ;) )

Darkning
10-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Well it's version 208 from the ASUS website. Is that different from the actual Bios Rev?

JRd1st
10-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Looks like 208 is the latest one. See if there's a newer ATK package or KB Filter than what you have installed. (Look in Control Panel >> Programs and Features to see your version of the ATK Package. Look in Device manager >> Keyboards >> Keyboard Device Filter >> Properties for the KB Filter version.)

That's about it for software fixes . . . Except look elsewhere than Asus for your Synaptics driver. What version of that do you have? I can try to find a newer one for you. :)

EDIT: look here for a newer Synaptics driver http://www.station-drivers.com/page/Synaptics.htm :D

chrsplmr
10-08-2011, 05:54 PM
FTP site?

dstrakele
10-08-2011, 06:12 PM
In the threads about keyboard lag/missing keystrokes, I see some folks have gotten relief by disabling the touchpad. Just for troubleshooting sake, you could try that on your system. There appears to be some problem with tape and adhesive on the bottom of the touchpad.

grungeboy2
10-09-2011, 09:08 PM
it's just kind of a problem with those units.

try unintallin the kbfilter and ATK software package. i'd reinstall the touchpad software, alot of people have that problem with the keyboard. while uninstalling the touchpad software might fix it for you, that's really not the fix for it.