PDA

View Full Version : G750JS (and possibly other models too) HDMI audio out issue

theclaw37
05-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Posting this for others to see (as there are probably other people with this issue too):

I've installed all the drivers from the Asus support site. As you probably have seen, the Nvidia control panel only has the 3D settings avavailable now.

The issue:

Plugged the laptop to my Denon receiver through HDMI. The video came out perfectly, but NO audio whatsoever. The sound was still coming from the laptop no matter how many restarts, driver reinstalls etc. Under playback devices in windows, the HD Audio entry was marked as "Not plugged in". This is because (apparently) the Intel GPU is responsible for the HDMI port.

The fix:

- Get the latest (.exe) driver from Intel. (15.XX.. something) You can find the link to directly download the driver from your Intel Control Panel. The one provided by Asus is 10.XX.something
- If you try to install the driver (update it), it will say your computer is not approved for this driver or something along the line.
- Extract the EXE to a folder with 7-Zip.
- Now go into your Device Manager, and under "Sound, Video, and game controllers" you will have 3 entries (One from microsoft, one from Nvidia, and one from Realtek). You want to select the one from microsoft (the first), right click it, and click "Update driver software"
- Select "Browse my computer..." and point it to the directory you extracted your exe file. Make sure "Include sub-folders" or something like that is checked.
- The entry in the Device Manager will now be updated to Intel(R) Display Audio, along with a warning that the device could not be started (and a yellow exclamation mark near the speaker icon).

Using the HDMI:
- Plug in your device to your laptop through HDMI BEFORE turning the laptop on, but after turning the device on (eg. my Denon receiver).
- Power up your laptop.
- Windows should now display the device attached in the "playback devices" menu.
- Enjoy.

Although this method is kind of "hacky", until an official updated driver from intel comes up and also lets us install it on our systems, this is the method.

This problem is nowhere to be found on the internet, and i had to fix this by trial and error. Thankfully found this solution. Hope it helps others too.

hmscott
05-19-2014, 01:48 AM
...Under playback devices in windows, the HD Audio entry was marked as "Not plugged in". This is because (apparently) the Intel GPU is responsible for the HDMI port.

The fix:
Using the HDMI:
- Plug in your device to your laptop through HDMI BEFORE turning the laptop on, but after turning the device on (eg. my Denon receiver).
- Power up your laptop.
- Windows should now display the device attached in the "playback devices" menu.
- Enjoy.

theclaw37, I am beginning to get the sneaking suspicion that Optimus Sucks :)

I was going to get a JZ, but after all the crap I am seeing that comes along with Optimus, I just don't think I can put up with it. I had hoped Intel, Nvidia, and Asus would work this out better, since they waited so long before moving the ROG laptop to Optimus, but it sure doesn't look like it helped much.

theclaw37
05-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Well i'm not sure Optimus is the devil here. Previously i had an Asus N55-SF that also has optimus, but all the control panel settings and the hd audio ettings were done through Nvidia. Intel was just there to run separately. It really was like having 2 gpu's to choose from. Maybe the drivers are the fault and when we get better ones everything will be fine.

hmscott
05-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Well i'm not sure Optimus is the devil here. Previously i had an Asus N55-SF that also has optimus, but all the control panel settings and the hd audio ettings were done through Nvidia. Intel was just there to run separately. It really was like having 2 gpu's to choose from. Maybe the drivers are the fault and when we get better ones everything will be fine.

theclaw37, if your N55-SF was able to set the settings through Nvidia, then it wasn't the current Optimus configuration. Now, everything needs to get set through the Intel GPU which handles the output configuration for video and audio, the Nvidia settings are upstream from the Intel GPU, and have no effect - so they are disabled.

You had to install a new Intel GPU driver to get Intel(R) Display Audio control established.

Optimus is the problem, the discrete nature of having 2 video cards has been subsumed into the Optimus control, which has limited the abilities of the discrete Nvidia GPU - HD audio included - to what the Intel GPU will pass through. The weakest GPU video / audio part has all the control. It makes no sense.

theclaw37
05-19-2014, 12:40 PM
If that is the case, they should at least put an audio control panel inside the intel control panel, and not let us wander.