PDA

View Full Version : Re-install Windows will disable Optimus for good?

Master Po
05-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Just wonder.. it's starting to get annoying that I can't set browser, Windows Media Player and such to use NVIDIA.

I actually get graphical lag while browsing sometimes, like delay on things I write in the url. Lag. And I have 1 tab up.

hmscott
05-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Just wonder.. it's starting to get annoying that I can't set browser, Windows Media Player and such to use NVIDIA.

I actually get graphical lag while browsing sometimes, like delay on things I write in the url. Lag. And I have 1 tab up.

Master Po, nope, it's a hardware thing - you can't avoid it. The Optimus G750's have the Intel GPU wired up, and the Nvidia GPU output goes through it. The video output to the screen, HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort, are all coming out of the Intel CPU and not the Nvidia GPU.

What you are figuring out is the worst part of Optimus - normal OS usage. Windows is depending more and more on hardware acceleration to support common desktop browsing GUI tasks, everything graphical depends on it, and most of it is being forced to render on the Intel GPU.

Using the Intel GPU is slowing everything down, while idling the best GPU for the task - the expensive Nvidia GPU - the reason we buy these high end laptops in the first place - it makes no sense to me.

You need to figure out how to force the Nvidia GPU to be used for rendering / hardware acceleration for each app, and the OS. I don't have one to fiddle with to find the optimum settings.

If you google around, you can get tips from others about other laptops besides the G750's - like Clevo, Alienware, Toshiba, etc where others have worked out the many tweaks needed to get everything optimized with Optimus.

When you get it all figured out, be sure and come back and let us know how to do it :)