PDA

View Full Version : Blank Screen with G1sn

clexidra
10-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Hello, I have an ASUS G1sn bought in 2008. Is a couple of months that I have the following problem: when I swich on the notebook the 1st time in the day this work well and I can work without any problem but if I need to reboot the notebook I have a black screen and it seems that the notebook doesn't load the OS (win 7).
If I wait for about 20/30 minutes and I restart the notebook it load the OS, the screen is ok and I can continue to work.

Any suggestion in order to solve this problem ?

thanks.

dstrakele
10-08-2011, 06:00 PM
From your description, it sounds like an overheating problem. It can successfully start when cold or after it cools off. However, I would expect you to encounter problems while using the system if it was overheated, rather than just on a reboot. You can easily monitor CPU and GPU temperatures with free utilities like RealTemp or SpeedFan. If overheating is determined, blowing the system out with compressed air may help. Repastiing with a thermal paste can also help older systems.

A black screen on boot can also result from bad memory. Testing memory with the Windows Memory Diagnostic is a quick way to determine if that is an issue. Running CHKDSK is another easy test.

Checking the System and Application Event Logs for Warnings or Errors may also help troubleshoot your startup issue.

dstrakele
10-08-2011, 07:21 PM
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2558-power-on-getting-a-black-screen-no-post-nothing is an interesting thread for you to check. I am assuming you are rebooting your system rather than resuming from sleep or hibernation. Is that correct?

clexidra
10-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Yes I rebooting. When this problem happens I didn't see the usual screen that appears at every boot, I'm referring to the Bios screen, the one in which you can see all the info about bios, the F2 button, etc.
Thanks, I'll try your suggestion today.

clexidra
10-09-2011, 05:05 PM
I think it is not an overheating problem because I made this test:
1.- the notebook is switch off all the day
2.- I switch on the notebook and it works
3.- after the notebook load all the OS I switch off, the notebook stay switch on less than a couple of minutes
4.- I wait for about 5 minutes
5.- I switch on the notebook and it doesn't work...

JRd1st
10-09-2011, 05:13 PM
There could be a bad connection someplace that, when warm, is bad and good when cool. Or there could be a component that goes bad when it's only a little warm/hot. In any case, it's almost surely a hardware problem.

It needs to be repaired either by Asus or some other qualified personnel. Unless you're a techie type then you might be able to isolate the area with cold-spray. ;)