PDA

View Full Version : Spin, Stop, Spin, Stop, Spin, Stop, Spin, Stop, Hard Drive

Darnassus
05-20-2014, 05:46 PM
As I download files..

( I told my computer to put all my internet downloads onto my mechanical drive )

It stops, starts, stops, starts and it does this every 1 second interval. I can hear it which is pestering, but it also doesn't sound so healthy for my hard disk.

Wasn't there a program that collects data into the ram, then writes the bunch of data into the disk when it comes up to set amounts? Forgot the name..

hmscott
05-20-2014, 10:36 PM
As I download files..

( I told my computer to put all my internet downloads onto my mechanical drive )

It stops, starts, stops, starts and it does this every 1 second interval. I can hear it which is pestering, but it also doesn't sound so healthy for my hard disk.

Wasn't there a program that collects data into the ram, then writes the bunch of data into the disk when it comes up to set amounts? Forgot the name..

Darnassus, you could use a RAMdisk as a temporary storage location, is that what you are thinking of? You would need to move everything off of the RAMdisk before shutting down, or you would loose everything when you power off.

I used to use RAMdisk often for development on Windows for builds, but with SSD's and faster processors, it hasn't been much of a need.

I did try RamDisk Plus, not cheap, but it works great. I bought their PerfectDisk product.
http://www.raxco.com/business/solutions/server-pc-performance/high-speed-ram-disk

SoftPerfect RAM disk - free, but I haven't tried it on WIndows 8.x
http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

What I do for the same situation you are describing is to have the initial download go to the SSD, and then weekly or so I sort through the download folder and file what I want to keep long term into sorted folders on the HD - like ISO's, releases, patches, etc. Everything else I delete.

Maxter
05-20-2014, 10:39 PM
You could also change the time it takes for the reader head to go into safety (lock) on the mechanical drive.

hmscott
05-21-2014, 12:41 AM
You could also change the time it takes for the reader head to go into safety (lock) on the mechanical drive.

Maxter, would have suggested quiethdd, but I know Darnassus is aware of it, what it does, and I didn't think it would help in this situation.

In this case the HD isn't going idle and sleeping, it is getting small blocks of data often enough to stay awake, the head not parked, but the data parts are small enough and infrequent enough for the access and return arm action on most every write.

If this were a bittorrent download, I would suggest setting the write block caching - tuning how often the small blocks are grouped for writing, Azureus/Vuze have great write tuning settings that solves this problem, but for regular slow ftp/http downloads this can happen, and often the software isn't tunable.

What is the software selection you are using for downloads Darnassus?

Darnassus
06-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Maxter, would have suggested quiethdd, but I know Darnassus is aware of it, what it does, and I didn't think it would help in this situation.

In this case the HD isn't going idle and sleeping, it is getting small blocks of data often enough to stay awake, the head not parked, but the data parts are small enough and infrequent enough for the access and return arm action on most every write.

If this were a bittorrent download, I would suggest setting the write block caching - tuning how often the small blocks are grouped for writing, Azureus/Vuze have great write tuning settings that solves this problem, but for regular slow ftp/http downloads this can happen, and often the software isn't tunable.

What is the software selection you are using for downloads Darnassus?

hmscott I love you, yes that's exactly it. The blocks are in that threshold of not putting the arm into lock, it just sits on the disk and keeps on I/O'ing.

I'm not using any program really, I'm downloading files from stuff off of the web, usually mod files that are uploaded to storage sites like TurboBit.net

I'm using Chrome if you count that, though.

I just need to find some program that stores the data virtually on my ram or something, then dumps it into the drive when it reaches like, 500mb or so.

100kbs being written every 2 seconds is annoying to hear.

hmscott
06-12-2014, 06:09 AM
hmscott I love you, yes that's exactly it. The blocks are in that threshold of not putting the arm into lock, it just sits on the disk and keeps on I/O'ing.
I'm not using any program really, I'm downloading files from stuff off of the web, usually mod files that are uploaded to storage sites like TurboBit.net
I'm using Chrome if you count that, though.
I just need to find some program that stores the data virtually on my ram or something, then dumps it into the drive when it reaches like, 500mb or so.
100kbs being written every 2 seconds is annoying to hear.

Darnassus, did you try setting up a RAMDISK, I posted some links for you in the response above the one you responded to.

Prostar Computer
06-12-2014, 09:11 PM
That's not normal behavior. If you're under warranty, I recommend claiming it. Drives these days are efficient at parking the arm without user configuration and shouldn't exhibit such roller coaster-like I/O.

Just make sure the problem is prevalent in other tasks should you try to claim the warranty. If the manufacturer/supplier can't recreate the problem, they're liable to send it back as is.

RAM disk might be a viable option, but there are some drawbacks to it to bear in mind.

Darnassus
06-13-2014, 09:19 PM
That's not normal behavior. If you're under warranty, I recommend claiming it. Drives these days are efficient at parking the arm without user configuration and shouldn't exhibit such roller coaster-like I/O.

Just make sure the problem is prevalent in other tasks should you try to claim the warranty. If the manufacturer/supplier can't recreate the problem, they're liable to send it back as is.

RAM disk might be a viable option, but there are some drawbacks to it to bear in mind.

Like what kind of drawbacks?

And really, it all makes sense really, I mean, if your download location is not your OS drive, and at like 50kb a sec, with nothing else being read, your drive would stop, start, stop, start since the information it's writing is so little. Right? I mean, during normal operations if I'm reading from the drive.. it doesn't stop, start. Or known as I/O'ing. It runs smooth like it should. Mind you, it's not loud, you need to test and listen for it.. I just have acute hearing.

I might go research more on Ramdisk, thank you Prostar and hmscott. ;3

Darnassus
06-13-2014, 10:17 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/260918/how_to_supercharge_your_pc_with_a_ram_disk.html Hmm..

Darnassus
06-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Need to find a different program, one that specifically puts internet download into a virtual drive on my ram, then dumps it automatically into my hard drive when it's finished.

hmscott
06-14-2014, 03:56 AM
Need to find a different program, one that specifically puts internet download into a virtual drive on my ram, then dumps it automatically into my hard drive when it's finished.

Darnassus, many/most download programs / tools will allow a temporary directory to be used during the download (ramdisk dir), and then it will copy to the destination directory when complete. Here are the settings/preferences dialogs for Flashgot and Downthemall, there are lots more you can use + settings to increase threads, streams, and simultaneous downloads from the same and different servers. These examples are firefox extensions.

Darnassus
06-14-2014, 05:50 AM
I use Google Chrome. >xc

hmscott
06-14-2014, 05:59 AM
I use Google Chrome. >xc

Darnassus, there is a quick fix to set the disk cache for Chrome to a folder on your ramdisk, then all temp files go to your ramdisk.

Edit your Chrome shortcut, properties, Target, set the "C:\Temp" to your ramdisk temp folder.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disk-cache-dir="C:\Temp"

Chrome download managers don't have an option to set the Temp directory for downloads. Neither does Chrome.

For firefox, you don't need a ramdisk for cache files - firefox does it for you, in about:config set

browser.cache.disk.enable False
browser.cache.memory.enable True
create a new Integer variable called browser.cache.memory.capacity

Set browser.cache.memory.capacity to a number in KB, like 50000 = 50MB , but start with -1 and firefox will allocate it based on your memory - I have 32GB and firefox set it to 32MB, which is kinda low, find the size you need to hold file transfers in memory, long enough to stop the spin spin spin.

You can watch cache usage in firefox with about:cache

Firefox download tools that allow setting a temp location will be needed to cache .part files. You need to use firefox + memory cache + download manager temp.

Darnassus
06-14-2014, 01:05 PM
So where's the ramdisk program that has the dumping feature in it? ;d

hmscott
06-14-2014, 01:40 PM
So where's the ramdisk program that has the dumping feature in it? ;d

Darnassus, the ramdisk holds the TEMP folder, which is set in the download manager to hold the .part file, which when the download completes, is put in the Download Folder set in the Download manager. :)

The ramdisk TEMP .part file goes away after the file is moved to the Download Folder.

Using DownThemAll!, you would right click on the download link - or click and select DownThemAll! as default handler (see images), pick the download area - or use default set in DownThemAll!, and Start the download - which will download first to the .partD file in the ramdisk TEMP folder.

Download is cached to ramdisk TEMP

When the download is complete, the file is moved to the Download folder

Darnassus
06-15-2014, 02:02 AM
hmscott not to insult your hard work by providing me this information.. but you are not being clear, and involving firefox when I strictly use chrome doesn't help me.

hmscott
06-15-2014, 02:15 AM
hmscott not to insult your hard work by providing me this information.. but you are not being clear, and involving firefox when I strictly use chrome doesn't help me.

Chrome won't do what you want it to do. At least not with the current version of Chrome and the extensions and apps available.

You can't redirect the download temp file creation. If you set the download folder to the ramdisk, it will end up there. The download managers, app or extension, on Chrome won't do what you want; they don't provide redirecting the download temp file to another location.

Firefox can be made to do what you want it to do, as described above. If you have any questions please ask.

If you want to spend some time on your own researching this to get Chrome working as you like, and you find a way, please post it here. :)

hmscott
06-15-2014, 04:32 AM
If you haven't picked a ramdisk yet, I am liking ImDisk, with excellent configuration options and unlimited ramdisk volume size + dynamic allocation, and adequate performance, about 2.5GB/sec throughput - although Raxco Ramdisk gets 8GB+ - but costs $$$, DataRAM gets about 5GB/sec and is free up to 4GB volume.

ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver - comes with a RAMdisk control app.
http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/#ImDisk

Here is a short description for ImDisk:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1086220/imdisk-open-source-ram-drive-with-no-size-limitations

DataRAM ramdisk
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk/

Here is a nice description for DataRAM:
http://blog.laptopmag.com/faster-than-an-ssd-how-to-turn-extra-memory-into-a-ram-disk

Darnassus
06-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Ah now I understand what you mean about the Temp File.. word being TEMPORARY in terms of location. Sad Chrome can't do that.. would have made things much easier if the Browser handled it all.

I only want 1 gigabyte or 2 gigabyte max in terms of size.

My initial idea was yes to set my download location of Chrome to the RamDisk, but the RamDisk program ITSELF to handle the dumping into another location once the file was complete.

Isn't there a RamDisk program that dumps data once it's finished / becomes inactive? I notice there's ones that dump when you shut down, but I want it to do it when the data is finished.

hmscott
06-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Ah now I understand what you mean about the Temp File.. word being TEMPORARY in terms of location. Sad Chrome can't do that.. would have made things much easier if the Browser handled it all.

I only want 1 gigabyte or 2 gigabyte max in terms of size.

My initial idea was yes to set my download location of Chrome to the RamDisk, but the RamDisk program ITSELF to handle the dumping into another location once the file was complete.

Isn't there a RamDisk program that dumps data once it's finished / becomes inactive? I notice there's ones that dump when you shut down, but I want it to do it when the data is finished.

Darnassus, are you talking about a ramdisk that backs up the ramdisk to disk before shutting down, and restores it at boot time? It keeps all the files within the mounting letter, and doesn't dump files to another disk, it backs up the disk image in total.

I was thinking of the download program downloading to a temp area, the ramdisk, then when it completes the download it puts it in the download folder.

There are download managers that categorize downloads - video files to one folder, music files to another, etc, but they keep all the folders in 1 tree, and don't give the option of changing the folder after download. Free download manager was one external download manager that integrates with Chrome, but it doesn't have a setting for temp location either.

The ImDisk RAMdisk control panel has a setting to modify the system-wide TEMP/TMP, but a program has to use that environment variable to make it useful - many do some don't.

Like I said, if you want to spend time getting Chrome to work, you might find something I didn't, since I don't live in Chrome there might be something I haven't seen yet... give it shot :)

Darnassus
06-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Well poopie.. :'c