PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Recovery CDs

ShaunH
05-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Hi there.
My fiance has had issues with the recovery cd's in the past (thanks for the step by step guide..I'll check into the updated software); she has the 1tb hd and an ssd. Asus has informed her that the installation information doesn't like the dual drives and cannot install properly. She was informed to do a factory reset of the machine and this should fix issues. She did this once before and it worked. Yesterday, she did it again but this time there were issues;It couldn't find the drivers.. My fiance didn't realized she only had 3 of the 4 disks and, with the machine already factory reset and wanting the cd's, she is unable to make a new set. On top of this, when she placed one of the disks into the ROM, the computer thought for about 20 secs, and turned off. Now, it will not turn on at all and the screen seems to be malfunctioning (cannot see boot scree, or anything..doesn't seem to be turning on at all).

We are at a lose since we cannot even take it into a repair centre without the recovery cd's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Shaun

Clintlgm
05-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Recovery CD's ? what model, what OS.
You Don't need the disk to RMA Asus has the Image to restore the Note Book, I would remove the 1 GB Data drive.
Three of the four sounds like a G75 or 55 with windows 7, you can purchase one from Asus Store I think for around $50 US.
or just download a windows 7 SP 1 Home Premium ISO (http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/), use Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) to create an UEFI Install media 4 GB USB thumb drive formatted fat 32.
remove the 1 GB hard drive until you have complete a clean install of window 7 Sp1 HP

See this thread for guides and notes (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)

Download the latest driver from Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)

skidoo
05-21-2014, 12:24 AM
[QUOTE=Clintlgm;402749]Recovery CD's ? what model, what OS.

You Don't need the disk to RMA Asus has the Image to restore the Note Book,

That statement always leaves me scratching my head.
I agree, Asus has the image, and yes you have to RMA it! to get it back.
I am fine that Asus never gave owner of these NB's no recovery disc, but, to not have a site where Asus NB owners can
at least download the image, and not have to RMA it, is beyond me?!?!
Come on ASUS, get it together...you would save some of us owners a whole lot of grief..IMO.

Clintlgm
05-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Well all the notebooks that shipped with Win 7 also shipped with AI Recovery for which kept nagging you to create your Recovery disk until you either made the disk or figured out how to stop the nag.
Now Window 8 is a different animal, I don't know if Asus put in a nag to get you to download Asus Backtracker or not. I'll assume that they don't since we get so many people coming here that have no idea at all about the Recovery program. It seems from being in other forums that most companies are no longer shipping a recovery disk, but have recovery programs that you burn your own recovery disk. Of course using the Rule that manuals are only read as a last resort, a lot of people find out they need to burn these recovery disk only after its too late.
For the win 7 notebooks Asus will sell you a recovery DVD for $50 I think

GottiBoi55
05-21-2014, 06:04 PM
Recovery CD's ? what model, what OS.

You Don't need the disk to RMA Asus has the Image to restore the Note Book,

That statement always leaves me scratching my head.
I agree, Asus has the image, and yes you have to RMA it! to get it back.
I am fine that Asus never gave owner of these NB's no recovery disc, but, to not have a site where Asus NB owners can
at least download the image, and not have to RMA it, is beyond me?!?!
Come on ASUS, get it together...you would save some of us owners a whole lot of grief..IMO.

The "Recovery Image" idea is great, but there's one catch, each model has many configurations.
The only Recovery Image that would work would be a basic image, but Asus would lose out on the $50 disk set they sell on there e-store.

skidoo
05-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Yes, I agree, There are many different setups, meaning there would be many different images to choose from...but...
Asus does have these images....all of them...otherwise they wouldn't be so quick to give us an RMA #.
It wouldn't take much effort for them at this stage, IMO.

I can't remember if my Win 8 version G75 VX nagged me....I don't think so.
But, obviously I am one of those customers who have lost their image of Win8, I tried to read up on it, but somewhere I
screwed up!...my fault.

I was told to RMA it....Which is nice of Asus...but really, couldn't I just download their image for my NB????

Customer service is important, and having a site to download the image would definitely improve CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!
That should be clearly obvious by this point, and all the posts!

Yes...I like my NB...but I am disappointed that this NB came with no copy of restore disk from ASUS for this NB.
I never liked that fact.....period!

I guess some of us here can still hope that Asus could make download of an Image a reality.
It sure would go a long way to satisfying their customers and giving them the sense of assurance in their product.

Sorry for the rant......I will keep hoping!?!

GottiBoi55
05-21-2014, 08:32 PM
LMAO.....I guess that would be too easy to send you a image download for your model.
I got the recovery disk set from the asus e-store for $50, and it only had window home premium, and all the drivers on it.

PS: The recovery set doesn't even recreate the recovery partition, and that's not even mentioned in the description when buying.
I could have downloaded an ISO for free and saved $50, and then used the driver disk that came with my laptop.

skidoo
05-22-2014, 04:38 AM
Sorry to hear about the 50 $'s.

Should have just put a scratch in it, then sent it back saying it was defective.
Can't believe they would sell a disk...calling it a recovery disk...and then not have the recovery partition that came with the NB.