PDA

View Full Version : So I just got a G750JS-DS71.......

Bruno2284
05-20-2014, 08:26 PM
So I got my G750JS-DS71 today and I had some major issues with it (Battery charging issue and Boot issue), so the company I got the laptop from is overnighting me a new one. So I been browsing the forums and I see that a lot of people are having issues with these notebooks. So my question is. Anybody having good experiences with it ? Anything you did to make the laptop more effective and to run with less problems, I did see some of you disable the fast boot, and others disable driver signature enforcement.

any feedback is much appreciated

thanks guys

PS: sorry for my grammar, English is my 3rd language.

KoolASUS
05-20-2014, 08:35 PM
It seems the new G750 (JS, JZ and I forgot) have more problems than the previous ones, maybe because they run hotter. Strange way to do business for Asus, imo.

Anyway, I was surprised at how many people complain about their new G750 model 2014. I could be wrong, of course.

hmscott
05-21-2014, 01:14 AM
So I got my G750JS-DS71 today and I had some major issues with it (Battery charging issue and Boot issue), so the company I got the laptop from is over-nighting me a new one. So I been browsing the forums and I see that a lot of people are having issues with these notebooks. So my question is. Anybody having good experiences with it ? Anything you did to make the laptop more effective and to run with less problems, I did see some of you disable the fast boot, and others disable driver signature enforcement.
any feedback is much appreciated
thanks guys
PS: sorry for my grammar, English is my 3rd language.

Bruno2284, for the thousands of laptops built and sold, many of the problems come through here to find a solution before going back to the seller or to Asus for repair. This is a user support forum, so the owners of G750's try to help new owners through the process of getting to know their laptop's idiosyncratic behaviors, and try to separate those behaviors from actual problems.

Around the release of a new laptop design, like the G750JM/JS/JZ that now has Optimus there is a period of time where we need to recalibrate our understanding of what is "normal".

For the new G750JM/JS/JZ the new normal is that the CPU is under greater load with the Intel GPU enabled on the same die as the CPU, and the temperatures are up considerably from what we expect as normal on the G750JW/JX/JH.

Even with the JW/JX/JH most new owners aren't used to having 2 fans for cooling, and don't immediately get that the CPU side fan is the only one that normally runs most of the time, while the GPU fan doesn't run unless pushed hard by a game or CUDA processing.

The Optimus tuning is adding a level of frustration because you now have to be aware and check to make sure that on AC power everything you want to get processed on the Nvidia GPU is really running on the Nvidia GPU - and if it is running on the Intel GPU that means the CPU is now doing double duty as is the CPU cooling system.

So if the Intel GPU is being used most of the time, as is the CPU, then the CPU cooling system is running hotter, and the fan running faster and longer - making more noise.

The battery issue started a while before the new G750's released, and new G750JW/JX/JH's were reporting the same charging / power issues, so that seems to be related to that shared section of the old/new versions.

Then take into account the problems of starting a new production run for the G750JM/JS/JZ, you are going to get some fallout with G750's that are failing to cool adequately - and need to be returned to the seller or RMA'd back to Asus.

And, it is busy with lots of excited people spending big $ on something they expect to work correctly out of the box, and rightly so.

The good news is, the people that are returning their non-functioning G750's are getting good ones, eventually :)

The same thing happened with the JW/JX/JH in different ways at different times. And there are lots of happy owners of the G750JW/JX/JZ.

I was fortunate that my first JW was perfect, my 2nd JX was perfect, and my first JH was perfect. This JH is still running great, since November last year. I bought a 2nd power adapter from the Asus estore.asus.com and will likely get a 2nd battery at some point soon - those are the long term elements I would suggest getting a good backup.

Please come back and let us know how your replacement G750JZ runs!

And, while you are waiting you can read up on all the vast knowledge stored here in the forums :)

Welcome to the ROG forums!

aclin12
05-21-2014, 02:29 AM
mine runs as cool as a cucumber. I've played Crysis 3 and BioShock Infinite on max settings the heat is minimal and what heat there is goes strait out the back. I love my JZ.

wafflechomp
05-21-2014, 03:20 AM
I order mine (ASUS G750JS-DS71) from xotic pc, I have no issues whatsoever. I do play Guild Wars 2 and it gets pretty warm (not hot) but playing other games it stays cool.

Bruno2284
05-21-2014, 11:31 PM
So I got my new laptop this morning, Battery/Charger issue is gone, everything is going great until I started to load some games... Stupid intergraded card is taking priority on everything.

try installing beta drivers
try to disable integrated card
try to use the NVidia inspection software to manually override the game
try to set high performance as default
try to load game from NVidia experience

nothing works..... I have gotten ASUS ROG laptops for every one in my company since 2011 and I never seen anything like this. Please for the love god someone help me fix this, I really don't want to send this back after it's all set-up with my stuff now.

hmscott
05-22-2014, 12:12 AM
So I got my new laptop this morning, Battery/Charger issue is gone, everything is going great until I started to load some games... Stupid intergraded card is taking priority on everything.

try installing beta drivers
try to disable integrated card
try to use the NVidia inspection software to manually override the game
try to set high performance as default
try to load game from NVidia experience

nothing works..... I have gotten ASUS ROG laptops for every one in my company since 2011 and I never seen anything like this. Please for the love god someone help me fix this, I really don't want to send this back after it's all set-up with my stuff now.

Bruno2284, you may be the guy perfect to pursue this with Asus, escalating as needed up through engineering / managerial to get the word to them you aren't happy / functional, and need a fix. File a detailed Technical Inquiry, and take it from there :)

You may also want to start similar technical requests through Intel and Nvidia, since the core problem is the interaction with Intel/Nvidia hardware/software outside the control of Asus, except to have decided to integrate that crap into our previously awesome laptops :)

Hegemon
05-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Just curious, are you running a WoW gold-farming operation or similar so that you got your employes gaming laptops :)

just kidding

My 750JS has been amazing and I've own it for a month now. I haven't had any Optimus issues yet - apart from the games I play I have Sony Vegas 10 & 12 and all automatically detected the NVidia. The one thing I have forced to use the NVidia is Google Chrome, everything else detects it automatically. I don't see what the problem is - you open the NVidia control panel and select the card to use it takes about 5 clicks.

There are a few things you can't select the NVidia for (like the Windows Explorer) and I don't see why I would need the discrete GPU for that. No mater what people say, the 4600 Intel GPU is quite potent for mundane tasks, you just need to have the latest drivers (15.33xxx) and have it installed correctly. It handles all basics like a breeze.

Hell, I have even tried a few games on the Intel card and it runs them amazingly well (World of Warcraft) which was a surprise. When people say that the Windows Explorer stutters on the Intel GPU or something like that, take it with a grain of salt. 80% of the laptops in the world have a worse GPU than the 4600 and are running windows quite well.

When I'm not processing video or playing a game I have never ever had any of the 2 fans on, no exceptions. When I play a game the CPU fan starts spinning and about 5min later or so the GPU fan comes on. When I quit the game both fans slowly wind down and stop emitting audible sound within 15 sec. Never had the 2 fans stay on for more than 15 secs after quitting a game or finished processing video.

The JS has been amazing so far, this is RoG after all. My other laptop is G73 which I bough back in 2010 and is still a freakin beast albeit much, much slower than the JS. Never had any problems with both laptops and that's why I only go RoG.

dblkk
05-22-2014, 01:06 AM
Ive had 3 Asus g750 jm models, all of which during gaming on any game hit 100+ degrees on CPU. All of which were returned to best buy for replacement, with the 3rd one just returned for refund.

I then went to amazon and stepped up to the g750js model. While this one gets up to 100c, its normally around 95c max. Hasn't thermally throttled yet. So I'm beginning to think this is just the new CPU temp since the gpu is also used with this model. Plus the copper pipes vs before maybe that has something to do with it as well. Idk. But I'm keeping this one, as yes it runs hotter than id like, it doesn't throttle at all.

One somewhat concerning thing about my j's model though. Is that for where the CPU usage is, it seems to run warmer. Example, upon boot and later with only one chrome tab open (CPU at 10% max), I'm sitting at 65-70c. Gaming results in 85c. Video editing or rendering results in 95-98c. Again nothing throttles, and I love the overall laptop as its solid and I feel perfect, so I'm willing to deal with a warmer than should be running laptop since it leads to no thermal throttling and fan noise still isn't loud.

hmscott
05-22-2014, 01:12 AM
My 750JS has been amazing and I've own it for a month now. I haven't had any Optimus issues yet - apart from the games I play I have Sony Vegas 10 & 12 and all automatically detected the NVidia. The one thing I have forced to use the NVidia is Google Chrome, everything else detects it automatically. I don't see what the problem is - you open the NVidia control panel and select the card to use it takes about 5 clicks.

There are a few things you can't select the NVidia for (like the Windows Explorer) and I don't see why I would need the discrete GPU for that. No mater what people say, the 4600 Intel GPU is quite potent for mundane tasks, you just need to have the latest drivers (15.33xxx) and have it installed correctly. It handles all basics like a breeze.

Hell, I have even tried a few games on the Intel card and it runs them amazingly well (World of Warcraft) which was a surprise. When people say that the Windows Explorer stutters on the Intel GPU or something like that, take it with a grain of salt. 80% of the laptops in the world have a worse GPU than the 4600 and are running windows quite well.

When I'm not processing video or playing a game I have never ever had any of the 2 fans on, no exceptions. When I play a game the CPU fan starts spinning and about 5min later or so the GPU fan comes on. When I quit the game both fans slowly wind down and stop emitting audible sound within 15 sec. Never had the 2 fans stay on for more than 15 secs after quitting a game or finished processing video.

The JS has been amazing so far, this is RoG after all. My other laptop is G73 which I bough back in 2010 and is still a freakin beast albeit much, much slower than the JS. Never had any problems with both laptops and that's why I only go RoG.

Hegemon, that is awesome that you are happy with your G750JS, it gives me hope that I will be happy with my G750JZ :)

It looks like the mix of things you do, and the performance you are getting is working for you, and that's great too.

I just want to correct a couple of assumptions and focus on the issues that other G750JM/JS/JZ owners have mentioned.

The complaints about applications stuck on Intel GPU, hot Intel CPU/GPU, games that won't obey the Nvidia/Intel Optimus settings and stay on Intel - or worse, games that work on Intel and switch to Nvidia then crash until moved back to Intel, all of those complaints here on this forum are all about G750JM/JS/JZ, not the other 80% of the world :)

When you tried World of Warcraft on Intel, were you then able to switch to Nvidia and compare performance, what was the FPS difference, and could you move to higher/highest settings moving from Intel to Nvidia?

We all want it to work, and people wouldn't be complaining if there wasn't a problem - and yes the other 80% of the world with Optimus has been complaining about it for years, we are just wondering why we find ourselves moved over to this problematic Optimus system instead of remaining on our previously successful discrete CPU/GPU laptops :)

Don't you wish your laptop didn't have Optimus either, whether it is functioning ok for you or not, isn't it more work for you than it was on your G73 to get things to work the way you want them to on your G750JS?

Have you run extensively on battery yet? Have you noticed an extended runtime on battery vs your G73?

Hegemon
05-22-2014, 01:52 AM
Hey HMscott,

Will do those tests, I'm now curious to see what happens. I must admit, I don't use the battery much, my G73's battery has been dead for years. I agree that the Optimus is more of a pain than gain but I can't really complain of it since it has been working for me so far.

Just tested my idle temp and it seems pretty reasonable. I'm in NYC - the room is moderately dry and 25C.

Tried to load this beast with Max Payne 3 and this is what I got:

The CPU is still low albeit the GPU is up to ~80C. This is probably not full load for the machine but it is still a demanding game on ultra settings. Not too bad. Too late now but will do proper tests later.

hmscott
05-22-2014, 02:33 AM
Hey HMscott,

Will do those tests, I'm now curious to see what happens. I must admit, I don't use the battery much, my G73's battery has been dead for years. I agree that the Optimus is more of a pain than gain but I can't really complain of it since it has been working for me so far.

Just tested my idle temp and it seems pretty reasonable. I'm in NYC - the room is moderately dry and 25C.

Tried to load this beast with Max Payne 3 and this is what I got:

The CPU is still low albeit the GPU is up to ~80C. This is probably not full load for the machine but it is still a demanding game on ultra settings. Not too bad. Too late now but will do proper tests later.

Hegemon, thanks for the data posts :)

A couple of observations. When HWinfo64 starts up you can click the Sensors Only check box, and it will give you a more detailed sensor display, with thermal throttling info. The Everest edition is very old, well past 2 aquisitions of the product, and looks like it is reading low as compared to HWinfo. Everest releases now as AIDA64 with several editions - I use Engineer Edition.

Here are my idle temps, I don't have Max Payne loaded on my JH, so I will have to dig that out for comparison later.

We have the same 25c ambient temperature. Here are my current idle temps:

Bruno2284
05-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Bruno2284, you may be the guy perfect to pursue this with Asus, escalating as needed up through engineering / managerial to get the word to them you aren't happy / functional, and need a fix. File a detailed Technical Inquiry, and take it from there :)

You may also want to start similar technical requests through Intel and Nvidia, since the core problem is the interaction with Intel/Nvidia hardware/software outside the control of Asus, except to have decided to integrate that crap into our previously awesome laptops :)

Okay, After working all night on this thing I found out a couple of things. So I'm getting my games to work now, and the only way I could tell that it work is that I had to reinstall all the games after I change the NVidia to the Primary video card, after that the games started to follow the NVidia 3D settings on the control panel. Now my games are rocking with the exception of some few lags/bugs ( I think due to the beta driver). Lets see how this works for the next couple of weeks, I have 29 days to decided if I want to keep it or replace it for a MSI or Alienware.

Bruno2284
05-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Just curious, are you running a WoW gold-farming operation or similar so that you got your employes gaming laptops :)

just kidding

That's my side business!!!! keep it down.

But no, I work for a large company that has multiple Marketing/Graphic designer employees and they need the extra power, so they get ROG laptops.

hmscott
05-22-2014, 01:22 PM
Okay, After working all night on this thing I found out a couple of things. So I'm getting my games to work now, and the only way I could tell that it work is that I had to reinstall all the games after I change the NVidia to the Primary video card, after that the games started to follow the NVidia 3D settings on the control panel. Now my games are rocking with the exception of some few lags/bugs ( I think due to the beta driver). Lets see how this works for the next couple of weeks, I have 29 days to decided if I want to keep it or replace it for a MSI or Alienware.

Bruno2284, what a stroke of genius, reinstall after changing the environment variables that are used when installing / configuring during install - the app, OS, and video. That's a great discovery!

That is the key, these are new graphics chips, new drivers, and early days in tuning, so there is still a lot upside for performance and stability.

Remember, Optimus will follow you if you move to Alienware or MSI too :)

dblkk
05-22-2014, 05:25 PM

My great temps while burning a bluray

dblkk
05-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Bruno2284, what a stroke of genius, reinstall after changing the environment variables that are used when installing / configuring during install - the app, OS, and video. That's a great discovery!

That is the key, these are new graphics chips, new drivers, and early days in tuning, so there is still a lot upside for performance and stability.

Remember, Optimus will follow you if you move to Alienware or MSI too :)

Remember, with optimus, you need to install and run/launch the game at least once, before you can add it into optimus manual control. Once you run it, it should automatically add itself to the group. You can also use the geoexperience and search for games, then click auto global settings as well, but i believe you need to run the game at least once as well for that. I just launch it, make sure it gets to the menu, then exit the game.

hmscott
05-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Remember, with optimus, you need to install and run/launch the game at least once, before you can add it into optimus manual control. Once you run it, it should automatically add itself to the group. You can also use the geoexperience and search for games, then click auto global settings as well, but i believe you need to run the game at least once as well for that. I just launch it, make sure it gets to the menu, then exit the game.

dblkk, run first is recommended by Geforce Experience when it can't set optimized settings, but is that needed to set the Nvidia Performance settings for that app too? I have installed apps, and set the 3D Program settings right away and the never run game shows up in the list.

Geforce Experience won't optimize some games, saying "Unable to retrieve all current settings. Try restarting the game or changing the settings within the game first." - even after running and setting settings several times. I would imagine on an Optimus laptop you need to watch what it does -checking all the settings it is tweaking.

Maybe Bruno2284 has checked this out under Optimus?

hmscott
05-23-2014, 12:11 AM

My great temps while burning a bluray

dblkk, damn that's hot! You are thermal throttling, you shouldn't be. Are you in the middle of the desert? Is it really hot there? What is the ambient temps? Your minimum temp shown is about 10c too high for idle.

Sorry to say it, but you should return or RMA that laptop, that is way too hot.

dblkk
05-25-2014, 06:12 AM
Yea this is my fourth laptop now. Talked to Asus to try and get a actual temp limit from them and they gave me some tips on like running trim and other stuff. Even though everything I sent them was involving temps, but w/e. I wish I was still in amazons return policy, think I'm like 3 maybe 4 weeks in now. Yes I can RMA, really don't feel like sending it in to get a refurbished laptop back. If they'd send a new one or mine fixed alright, but I take very good care of it and worried if I do send it in ill get a refurbished with scratches or something all over it.

As far as optimism every game/program I've run needed to be run first before I could even add it into the 3d settings.

Ambient temps are in my house should be around 60 Fahrenheit. I took temps on first boot, then first min of burning/rendering, 4 min in 10 min in and just randomly throughout the entire 3 hour process, temps pretty much identical the entire time. Been happening since I got it. Idle is high, with one tab open I'm at 10 percent CPU and 55-65c. Gaming gets me 75-80c CPU and 75 gpu. That's titanfall or cod on ultra.

hmscott
05-25-2014, 06:53 AM
Yea this is my fourth laptop now. Talked to Asus to try and get a actual temp limit from them and they gave me some tips on like running trim and other stuff. Even though everything I sent them was involving temps, but w/e. I wish I was still in amazons return policy, think I'm like 3 maybe 4 weeks in now. Yes I can RMA, really don't feel like sending it in to get a refurbished laptop back. If they'd send a new one or mine fixed alright, but I take very good care of it and worried if I do send it in ill get a refurbished with scratches or something all over it.

As far as optimism every game/program I've run needed to be run first before I could even add it into the 3d settings.

Ambient temps are in my house should be around 60 Fahrenheit. I took temps on first boot, then first min of burning/rendering, 4 min in 10 min in and just randomly throughout the entire 3 hour process, temps pretty much identical the entire time. Been happening since I got it. Idle is high, with one tab open I'm at 10 percent CPU and 55-65c. Gaming gets me 75-80c CPU and 75 gpu. That's titanfall or cod on ultra.

dblkk, did you purchase using Prime? They are realllly lenient to let you return long after the normal date if you bought on Prime. Give it a try.

If that fails you can pierce through to the seller, and ask them if they would take it back or swap it for a good one - explain your situation with this laptop - I wouldn't bring up the other 3.

60F is pretty chilly, are you wearing a sweater? :)

idle means nothing is running at all, like 0%. Normal usage is hard to nail down to a shareable number, as there are a lot of variations on normal. Same for gaming. It is best to share totally idle, and then running the exact same software / template during a fixed / static run. Like prime95 or furmark or another fixed benchmark.

Those gaming temps seem ok to me... but the fact that you can make it go into thermal throttling isn't good.

If you have an otherwise good example of the JS, I understand why it is difficult to go back to the well again.

dblkk
05-25-2014, 04:14 PM
I tried furmark and prime, and while numbers were high (90-100) they didn't lead to thermal throttling. But anytime I render a video, 720p/1080p/4k, it gets up to 102c and thermal throttles core 2 and 3 everytime.

But I went on amazon lastnight and to my orders, and saw I had/have until june 1st to return for 10% restocking fee. So I started a claim right away, not for return, but for exchange due to manufactur defect issues. I know its a holiday weekend here, but from what I understand they are shipping a new one out right away, and then I have 30 days to ship this one back. If I don't ship this one back they charge the card I used to purchase in first place.

I was very very close to just saying f it and getting an msi with 4800 and 880m and bluray burner for same price as my js model. Seeing as how I went asus for better cooling and fan noise, yet I run 100c and fans are at 4500-5200 almost entire time used. I'm on number 5 or 6 asus now, all but one same issues with heat. But I'll let asus have one more shot. If not, ill just go msi deal with same heat and fan noise issues yet get better specs. I mean I love and just love my asus, but if im going to deal with heat/throttling/fans, well im going to deal with those and more powerful components. But heres to hoping that the new js is good.

Oh, and temps wise, yea we have summer now and 80's, so inside is central air, which display says 62 Fahrenheit right now, 65 sometimes. Try and keep around 60-65. Plus I have air purifier blowing at edge of desk at my pc, which when im on laptop its in front of pc between pc and air purifier, so even that's blowing cool air right past laptop. But don't see temp changes with air purifier off or when im in bd on cooling mat. I don't use fans on cooling mat as I read somewhere that sometimes they can suffocate the laptop, I just use it to keep the laptop off me and the covers.

hmscott
05-25-2014, 04:52 PM
I tried furmark and prime, and while numbers were high (90-100) they didn't lead to thermal throttling. But anytime I render a video, 720p/1080p/4k, it gets up to 102c and thermal throttles core 2 and 3 everytime.

But I went on amazon lastnight and to my orders, and saw I had/have until june 1st to return for 10% restocking fee. So I started a claim right away, not for return, but for exchange due to manufactur defect issues. I know its a holiday weekend here, but from what I understand they are shipping a new one out right away, and then I have 30 days to ship this one back. If I don't ship this one back they charge the card I used to purchase in first place.

I was very very close to just saying f it and getting an msi with 4800 and 880m and bluray burner for same price as my js model. Seeing as how I went asus for better cooling and fan noise, yet I run 100c and fans are at 4500-5200 almost entire time used. I'm on number 5 or 6 asus now, all but one same issues with heat. But I'll let asus have one more shot. If not, ill just go msi deal with same heat and fan noise issues yet get better specs. I mean I love and just love my asus, but if im going to deal with heat/throttling/fans, well im going to deal with those and more powerful components. But heres to hoping that the new js is good.

Oh, and temps wise, yea we have summer now and 80's, so inside is central air, which display says 62 Fahrenheit right now, 65 sometimes. Try and keep around 60-65. Plus I have air purifier blowing at edge of desk at my pc, which when im on laptop its in front of pc between pc and air purifier, so even that's blowing cool air right past laptop. But don't see temp changes with air purifier off or when im in bd on cooling mat. I don't use fans on cooling mat as I read somewhere that sometimes they can suffocate the laptop, I just use it to keep the laptop off me and the covers.

dblkk, it's too bad you didn't jump in a bit earlier, before Optimus... just saying :)

Maybe swap for a JX, or a JH?

It sounds like the video rendering is somehow running on Intel instead of Nvidia, and pushing the CPU die up and past the capability of the cooling system. Is the rendering in fact running on the Intel GPU?

I don't have an Intel GPU to check in XTU, but I would imagine there might be handles to pull in that realm, as there are in the CPU - reduction of voltage, maybe even reduction of clocking.

Or, push the rendering to the Nvidia GPU, but you might need to change tools - to something that can run / render on the Nvidia GPU - Sony tools?

Whatever you get, I think your usage will force Optimus to push everything out the CPU instead of sharing the load between the CPU and the Nvidia GPU. Which is going to run hot.

You were able to do prime95 + furmark on Nvidia GPU, it should be doable on a similar load split for video rendering if you can find the right application.

Good job on the return / swap. I hope it works out. :)

dblkk
05-25-2014, 06:32 PM
dblkk, it's too bad you didn't jump in a bit earlier, before Optimus... just saying :)

Maybe swap for a JX, or a JH?

It sounds like the video rendering is somehow running on Intel instead of Nvidia, and pushing the CPU die up and past the capability of the cooling system. Is the rendering in fact running on the Intel GPU?

I don't have an Intel GPU to check in XTU, but I would imagine there might be handles to pull in that realm, as there are in the CPU - reduction of voltage, maybe even reduction of clocking.

Or, push the rendering to the Nvidia GPU, but you might need to change tools - to something that can run / render on the Nvidia GPU - Sony tools?

Whatever you get, I think your usage will force Optimus to push everything out the CPU instead of sharing the load between the CPU and the Nvidia GPU. Which is going to run hot.

You were able to do prime95 + furmark on Nvidia GPU, it should be doable on a similar load split for video rendering if you can find the right application.

Good job on the return / swap. I hope it works out. :)

I started off with the 765m, and it just wasnt battery wise good enough, and was my second try at the perfect laptop. It was also way bigger and heavier than i had wanted. My next try was the samsung ativ book 8 which was just awesome, yet about a month later overheated to the point of actually frying the mobo and that was no good. Then i saw that the new g750 had maxwell with 860m so jumped right to that. I do use the laptop alot of times right next to a plug. But this is just so i can either work in bed, or work right next to pc but have two seperate video files/projects being rendered at the same time. But i do very often, why i purchased, take this on the go. I have a surface pro which is my daily go to device, but my laptop needs to be able to be just that when i need it. Which is why optimus and onboard graphics switching is a need.

But yes, almost everything is set on the 870m. You should be able to see that in hwinfo that it shows onboard graphics pretty much turned off.
When i ran furmark and such in the very begining, my temps were high, but never once throttled so just figured this was the new optimus enabled laptop temps. But rendering seems to be just a tad heavier than prime and pushes from 100c to 100c and throttling. Lastnights movie, that made me finally switch my thinking and want to try and return, hit 100c right away and cpu was limited to 76% more often than 100%. Normally while throttling i can watch things like turbo boost be limited, or ill see a quick second or so dip into the 80-90% range but runs right back to full throttle for a bit. But lastnight it was 3/4 76% with 1/4 100%. Thats just not good. So ill try one more g750 (5th or 6th now) and if that doesnt do it, then im very sorry and regretable going to go msi gt70 dominator route. I know that route will have the same problems, but ill have more powerful cpu and gpu. Might as well right.

Biggest con going msi route is loosing this forum and all your shared knowledge hwscott

dblkk
05-25-2014, 07:47 PM

My shots from today. Pretty much identical. I included all hwinfo in the second third and fourth picture. It shows integrated graphics clock is up, but nothing else. The program is on dedicated, as well as pretty much every global setting during this run is running off NVidia graphics chip.

If you look at task manager, you'll see pretty big dips from 100% all the way down to 30%'s while it throttles, still this round is mainly at 100%, but its still a huge time waster having these low dips.

hmscott
05-26-2014, 12:07 AM
I started off with the 765m, and it just wasnt battery wise good enough, and was my second try at the perfect laptop. It was also way bigger and heavier than i had wanted. My next try was the samsung ativ book 8 which was just awesome, yet about a month later overheated to the point of actually frying the mobo and that was no good. Then i saw that the new g750 had maxwell with 860m so jumped right to that. I do use the laptop alot of times right next to a plug. But this is just so i can either work in bed, or work right next to pc but have two seperate video files/projects being rendered at the same time. But i do very often, why i purchased, take this on the go. I have a surface pro which is my daily go to device, but my laptop needs to be able to be just that when i need it. Which is why optimus and onboard graphics switching is a need.

But yes, almost everything is set on the 870m. You should be able to see that in hwinfo that it shows onboard graphics pretty much turned off.
When i ran furmark and such in the very begining, my temps were high, but never once throttled so just figured this was the new optimus enabled laptop temps. But rendering seems to be just a tad heavier than prime and pushes from 100c to 100c and throttling. Lastnights movie, that made me finally switch my thinking and want to try and return, hit 100c right away and cpu was limited to 76% more often than 100%. Normally while throttling i can watch things like turbo boost be limited, or ill see a quick second or so dip into the 80-90% range but runs right back to full throttle for a bit. But lastnight it was 3/4 76% with 1/4 100%. Thats just not good. So ill try one more g750 (5th or 6th now) and if that doesnt do it, then im very sorry and regretable going to go msi gt70 dominator route. I know that route will have the same problems, but ill have more powerful cpu and gpu. Might as well right.

Biggest con going msi route is loosing this forum and all your shared knowledge hwscott

Although it isn't optimal, and I don't recommend keeping that example of JS, you can try this while you still have the hot one.

1) Change Power plan MaxCPU to 99% to stop Turbo mode - it might be enough to stop throttling, and overall provide more CPU under load.

2) If that doesn't work, or it isn't enough, you could try disabling use of half the cores using Processor Affinity setting through Task Manager => Details. Right click on the rendering processes and select processor affinity, and uncheck All, and then select all 0,2,4,6,8 - assuming odd cores are the hyperthreaded cores - you can also try 0,1,2,3 - etc

That might be optimal under throttling - as long as it isn't spawing lots of processes that reset the affinity - they should take on the environment settings of the parent process - but double check. You might have to set all the Top CPU usage renderers individually as spawned - click on the task manager column CPU title bar to sort low to high then high to low and watch for the top processes and check their affinity setting.

As the Optimus heat load issue is going to follow wherever Optimus is used, you might look for builds that don't have Optimus - like high refresh screens 120hz/144hz with/without 3D as Optimus can't be used in those configurations.

Not sure how the newer generation MSI's are holding up, but the ones I tried were ok until you put on a 100% load like rendering, so I would make sure the return policy you get one under is good.

You can always hang out here anyway :)

Keep us up to date on your progress!

dblkk
05-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Alright, well several emails from amazon this weekend. They are shipping out a replacement (better be new) asap. Sending it via next day air, so will have by Wednesday. Awesome. I then have 30 days to call ups and have them pick up my existing laptop, in which I will be supplied a return box with postage. So, honestly cant say enough great things about amazon. Got free 2 day shipping, which I opted for next day shipping for $5 more than free instead, had ordered it originally Tuesday around 5-6pm, had it next day at noon. Wowed is to say the least, not with this exchange, just great job amazon.

Will run benchmarks/stress tests on it asap. Then download sony vegas and power director right away and burn/render some movies and compare my exisiting 100c and thermal throttling to this new one. Hopefully, fingers really crossed here, the new one is a keeper. If not I will be going msi gt70 route. But I will keep these rog forums still shortcutted to desktop and be active still on here. If I do end up msi, ill post everything comparing the two on here. good and bad. But I do have rog motherboard so I don't feel to out of place, haha.

HomieOC
05-26-2014, 08:35 PM
when you go to use the video editor program... right click the short cut then move mouse cursor over "run with graphics processor " and choose " High performance nvidia processor" this is a chance too that its using intel and not the nvidia card.. i also have the latest g750 so i have optimus. Also open up Asus Live Update theres a Vbios update available for Optimus so download that too...

Let us know! Btw 100 C isn't normal lol