PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to upgrade to windows 8.1 yet?

Tom Windschitl
05-21-2014, 06:45 PM
So i have had my G750 for a few months now and i have been putting off updating to 8.1 just in case any issues might need to be taken care of first. So to those who have upgraded to 8.1 have you had any issues? Is it worth it to upgrade?

chrsplmr
05-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Upgrade from ?
Win8.1 is awesome. imho and from what ive seen in the OC'ing results
it beats Win7 no doubt.

If you are asking specifically issues with the G, I don't have one, but have seen
none on the forum to speak of. .c.

Raja@ASUS
05-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Windows 8.1/8.11 is my fo to OS now. No going back to the earlier ones.

Chino
05-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Go for it.

Tom Windschitl
05-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Upgrade from ?
Win8.1 is awesome. imho and from what ive seen in the OC'ing results
it beats Win7 no doubt.

If you are asking specifically issues with the G, I don't have one, but have seen
none on the forum to speak of. .c.
Yeah i am upgrading from windows 8, guess i didn't think to mention that :P

hmscott
05-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Yeah i am upgrading from windows 8, guess i didn't think to mention that :P

Tom, if your question is, are the drivers ready yet, then yes they finally are adequate/stable :)

But, you need to download the newest drivers from the newest G750JM/JS/JZ download areas - Asus hasn't back-filled the new drivers into the JW/JX/JH download areas:

http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

The most important drivers to get installed before the Windows 8.1 upgrade, besides *all of them*, are the Nvidia BETA 337.50 driver and the latest Bluetooth driver package for your hardware - not having the BT driver update can cause boot/shutdown/reboot issues delaying action by 5-10 minutes. And, the 337.50 Nvidia driver is just the latest tested in forum Nvidia driver :)

What I would recommend is to do all the Windows 8.0 required/optional updates, then install all the new Windows 8.1 drivers, then do the Store upgrade to Windows 8.1, then do all the Windows 8.1 updates. It will take a while, but in the end having all the newest drivers will make it successful.

Let us know how it works out for you :)

Tom Windschitl
05-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Tom, if your question is, are the drivers ready yet, then yes they finally are adequate/stable :)

But, you need to download the newest drivers from the newest G750JM/JS/JZ download areas - Asus hasn't back-filled the new drivers into the JW/JX/JH download areas:

http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

The most important drivers to get installed before the Windows 8.1 upgrade, besides *all of them*, are the Nvidia BETA 337.50 driver and the latest Bluetooth driver package for your hardware - not having the BT driver update can cause boot/shutdown/reboot issues delaying action by 5-10 minutes. And, the 337.50 Nvidia driver is just the latest tested in forum Nvidia driver :)

What I would recommend is to do all the Windows 8.0 required/optional updates, then install all the new Windows 8.1 drivers, then do the Store upgrade to Windows 8.1, then do all the Windows 8.1 updates. It will take a while, but in the end having all the newest drivers will make it successful.

Let us know how it works out for you :)
So to be clear i should download all the drivers from, in my case i have the JW model, from the JW downloads page. Then go to one of the new 750 models and download all those drivers as well then update to 8.1? I think thats how i understood it at least lol :P

hmscott
05-22-2014, 06:58 AM
So to be clear i should download all the drivers from, in my case i have the JW model, from the JW downloads page. Then go to one of the new 750 models and download all those drivers as well then update to 8.1? I think thats how i understood it at least lol :P

Tom, that's very close :)

You want to make a list, perhaps have a tab open on JW and on JM, and on the laptop have the Programs and Features window open, then match what drivers you have installed - it tells you what hardware you have (along with Device Manager) - and then get the newest driver replacing the ones you have already installed with the newer version on the JM page. If it isn't on the JM page, try the JS/JZ page.

You can also search around on newer laptops that use the same hardware, or other groups focused on Notebook Audio, Notebook Bluetooth, etc.

That last suggestion is advanced, so for now you can focus on what is in the JM/JS/JZ download pages - the newer version there of what you have installed on your laptop (using the JW page as a reference too).

Make sense?

Tom Windschitl
05-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Tom, that's very close :)

You want to make a list, perhaps have a tab open on JW and on JM, and on the laptop have the Programs and Features window open, then match what drivers you have installed - it tells you what hardware you have (along with Device Manager) - and then get the newest driver replacing the ones you have already installed with the newer version on the JM page. If it isn't on the JM page, try the JS/JZ page.

You can also search around on newer laptops that use the same hardware, or other groups focused on Notebook Audio, Notebook Bluetooth, etc.

That last suggestion is advanced, so for now you can focus on what is in the JM/JS/JZ download pages - the newer version there of what you have installed on your laptop (using the JW page as a reference too).

Make sense?
Well i guess i kinda got it done for me lol. I started the download for 8.1 then stopped it to start downloading drivers first. However i never got around to the drivers and forgot about the 8.1 download. So it downloaded without me knowing and when i restarted my PC it updated and well FUBAR'ed everything. Along with that i blindly went along with an action center notification that said my drive needed to be repaired, clicked repair and that caused me to loose alot of data on my hard drives. So i took it to the shop and they got it updated to 8.1 for me and recovered what was left of my data so my PC is all fresh and new(almost) again.

hmscott
05-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Well i guess i kinda got it done for me lol. I started the download for 8.1 then stopped it to start downloading drivers first. However i never got around to the drivers and forgot about the 8.1 download. So it downloaded without me knowing and when i restarted my PC it updated and well FUBAR'ed everything. Along with that i blindly went along with an action center notification that said my drive needed to be repaired, clicked repair and that caused me to loose alot of data on my hard drives. So i took it to the shop and they got it updated to 8.1 for me and recovered what was left of my data so my PC is all fresh and new(almost) again.

Yipe!! That sucks, sorry to hear that - that is the the worst 8.1 upgrade story I have heard. :(

Did they/you install all of the newest Windows 8.1 drivers from the JM/JS/JZ download areas?

That action center notification was something you couldn't ignore. There might have been disk corruption already, before the upgrade, and the upgrade make it worse. Doing a disk check before the upgrade should have caught that - I thought a disk check was part of the Upgrade.

Did they do a Windows 8 restore first to get back to the original OEM Asus out of the box install before going ahead with the 8.1 upgrade? Or did they do repairs from where you were after the upgrade?

Tom Windschitl
05-30-2014, 01:39 AM
Yipe!! That sucks, sorry to hear that - that is the the worst 8.1 upgrade story I have heard. :(

Did they/you install all of the newest Windows 8.1 drivers from the JM/JS/JZ download areas?

That action center notification was something you couldn't ignore. There might have been disk corruption already, before the upgrade, and the upgrade make it worse. Doing a disk check before the upgrade should have caught that - I thought a disk check was part of the Upgrade.

Did they do a Windows 8 restore first to get back to the original OEM Asus out of the box install before going ahead with the 8.1 upgrade? Or did they do repairs from where you were after the upgrade?
I'm honestly not sure. I'm thinking the later b/c the ROG logo is no longer the boot logo, its a windows 8 logo now. I know that the main problem though was the drive repair which effed up the boot sequence b/c it would load the ROG logo then go to a black screen.

hmscott
05-30-2014, 01:50 AM
I'm honestly not sure. I'm thinking the later b/c the ROG logo is no longer the boot logo, its a windows 8 logo now. I know that the main problem though was the drive repair which effed up the boot sequence b/c it would load the ROG logo then go to a black screen.

Tom, darn I was afraid of that. You have a *******ized / standard Windows 8.1 install :(

Can you post a snippet of the Storage Manager view of your disk partitions? I am hoping they didn't blow away your recovery partition.

The standard partitioning should look like Disk 0 in this image, sizes will be different, but the recovery partition should be the same size, 20GB:

Another thing to try would be to hit the Fn+F9 key immediately after powering up, and hit it until you got the restore recovery dialog.

Did you happen to make a recovery flash drive with Asus Backtracker? If you have that flash drive you can use it to do a recovery reinstall onto your boot drive of the original Asus OEM WIndows install, and then do the upgrade again, without the gotcha, and then be back to a good Asus install.

If you don't have that flash drive, and F9 doesn't let you restore ( they blew away your recovery capability ), you would need to find someone with that model G750 and build an Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive on their system to use to restore your system.

Given that you took this to someone else to fix for you, you could ask them to do it for you the right way this time, so you have the Asus build instead of a vanilla Windows 8.1 install.

Tom Windschitl
06-03-2014, 05:34 AM
It actually does Flash the ROG logo at startup but doesn't show it on the load screen. Honestly though what am i missing out on without the ASUS install?

hmscott
06-03-2014, 07:22 AM
It actually does Flash the ROG logo at startup but doesn't show it on the load screen. Honestly though what am i missing out on without the ASUS install?

Tom, the steps to recovery are long and detailed, and might involve getting a Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive burned from another G750 of the same model so that you can do a restore to your disk.

For someone with the experience, time, or inclination to support a clean install, it won't matter, they are looking for a challenge to overcome. Many of those guys find that it is a bigger challenge than they expected, and end up looking for the original install from someone. Others just live with things not working, and some after long hours of non-productive time get it all working - for a while - then fix it again, and again. And, they like it :)

For you though it is easier to let Asus, the people who built the laptop, configure all the drivers, apps, and settings in a supportable config that over time they can help you with.

I keep my build at the Asus OEM install because I know it works, and I can then support people here that have the OEM Asus Install. As soon as I hear someone is running Windows 7, or their own clean install of Windows 8/8.1, I try to let the other guys that did that to their G750 support each other. As I don't have the perspective, or install to reference to support them. Unless they aren't getting a response after a few days, then I might try to help them.

Can you post the partitioning for your C drive? It will let us know if it is too late to help easily or if it is going to take a restore install from another G750, or Asus.

Tom Windschitl
06-04-2014, 02:04 AM
Yeah i did check and there is no recovery partition on either hard drive(i installed a second one). Unless its just not showing up(which i doubt from what you have said). But otherwise what your saying is that with the 8.1 install they did i could run into issues down the road? I know i did have one issue with some of the FN keys not functioning but i fixed it by updating the driver.:D I would probably go with a restore install if i could though...

hmscott
06-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Yeah i did check and there is no recovery partition on either hard drive(i installed a second one). Unless its just not showing up(which i doubt from what you have said). But otherwise what your saying is that with the 8.1 install they did i could run into issues down the road? I know i did have one issue with some of the FN keys not functioning but i fixed it by updating the driver.:D I would probably go with a restore install if i could though...

Tom, maybe you can get the seller, or someone local with your model G750 to let you make an Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive?

For others reading this, that is why it is important to make a USB 3.0 flash drive with Asus Backtracker first thing when you get the laptop - in case something happens that blows away the recovery partition - it is the modern equivalent of the recovery DVD's - and you can't order a recovery flash drive from Asus - the estore.asus.com site mentions recovery media, but not for the newer laptops that put the recovery partition on the HD/SSD.

Tom, if you keep at it, downloading drivers and apps from Asus, you can get close to the build, and likely as not get good service out of the laptop - it is just the extra time and expense to do something all over again that Asus already did for us, there is no performance or support advantage to a clean Microsoft Windows install from scratch.

If you ever need to send the G750 in for service, you can backup your data and ask Asus to reimage the HD/SSD :)

Tom Windschitl
06-04-2014, 04:11 AM
Yeah i doubt anyone around where i live has a G750, and if they did idk how i would find them lol. Is there anyway to get the data needed on the flash drive through a download or something? I bought the laptop through amazon so idk if they would be any help....

hmscott
06-04-2014, 04:32 AM
Yeah i doubt anyone around where i live has a G750, and if they did idk how i would find them lol. Is there anyway to get the data needed on the flash drive through a download or something? I bought the laptop through amazon so idk if they would be any help....

You could file a Technical Inquiry with Asus, summarizing the situation, and ask for a recovery flash drive... or whatever recourse they have available to get your install back to the out of box configuration.

If Asus gets enough requests, maybe they will start including a flash drive along with the laptop, and provide that flash drive to legacy G750 users... it's worth a try.

http://vip.asus.com

Set up a login, register your laptop, and click on the Technical Inquiry request tab on the left. :)

Tom Windschitl
06-04-2014, 07:22 PM
You could file a Technical Inquiry with Asus, summarizing the situation, and ask for a recovery flash drive... or whatever recourse they have available to get your install back to the out of box configuration.

If Asus gets enough requests, maybe they will start including a flash drive along with the laptop, and provide that flash drive to legacy G750 users... it's worth a try.

http://vip.asus.com

Set up a login, register your laptop, and click on the Technical Inquiry request tab on the left. :)
Well like you said its worth a try! Thanks for all your help scott! I'll let you know what happens!

Hitchy
06-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Maybe someone could upload the content of his flash drive recovery from ASUS Backtracker? With high speed internet nowadays its nothing to upload 16 Gigs: one night and it s done!

Which version of G750 again do u have?

Tom Windschitl
06-05-2014, 01:55 AM
maybe someone could upload the content of his flash drive recovery from asus backtracker? With high speed internet nowadays its nothing to upload 16 gigs: One night and it s done!

Which version of g750 again do u have?
g750jw db-71

HomieOC
06-05-2014, 04:19 AM
i have the g750 JZ flash drive contents on my server if u want them....

Tom Windschitl
06-05-2014, 10:52 PM
i have the g750 JZ flash drive contents on my server if u want them....
Would that work with the JW model? Being they have different graphics cards cold there be conflicts in the drivers at all?

HomieOC
06-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Would that work with the JW model? Being they have different graphics cards cold there be conflicts in the drivers at all?

is there anyone that can verify this for us please?? thanks! if it should be fine i'll give u access to my ftp :)

Do you have 2 128 gb M.Sata in raid 0 and a 1 tb 7200 rpm regular hardrive? Because thats how mines setup my laptop

hmscott
06-06-2014, 01:59 AM

is there anyone that can verify this for us please?? thanks! if it should be fine i'll give u access to my ftp :)
Do you have 2 128 gb M.Sata in raid 0 and a 1 tb 7200 rpm regular hardrive? Because thats how mines setup my laptop

Guys, it would be interesting to find out :)

The major difference is that the JZ install is for Windows 8.1 and the JW is Windows 8.0, with additional differences due to the Intel GPU enablement and Intel/Nvidia Optimus - externally as different apps supporting graphics. and drivers underneath.

If the built in key for Windows will support a Windows 8.1 install, and you follow up the recovery install with replacing Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops with Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards, and uninstall the Intel HD Graphics driver, it might work.

But, it wouldn't be the stock OEM install as found out of the box on the JW when Tom bought it.

The recovery process uses whatever boot disk is in Bay 1, and secondary drive in Bay 2 - erasing all the partitions on both installed drives as part of the recovery - so remove your secondary drive or back up your personal data before booting on the recovery flash drive.

It would be best to get an Asus Backtracker flash drive built from a JW, and to do it through Asus or your Asus dealer / support shop.

Be careful about distributing copyrighted OS software. If you don't have a license from Microsoft to distribute Windows, don't do it :)

terrybear2k
06-06-2014, 07:10 AM
im running happily with my g56jr with 8.1.1, smooth and slick. the only issues i have with it is the low memory issue. hope there's a permanent fix for that. memory leak from games running on different res between ingame and desktop.

Hitchy
06-06-2014, 03:27 PM
g750jw db-71

Hehe that s ur Lucky day I also got the G750JW with the ref T4087H. I think we might share the same components (GPU GTX 765m) with maybe the exception for the network adapter (mine comes with the Braodcom model, which one is yours).

I would gladly share my backtracker datas with you juste gimme a hint on how to do it : do I just zip the content on my USB key and throw it to a website. If yes which one?

The only hic i see is that where I live (north African country) the connection is kinda slow compared to most of u : here we have max 900 ko/s download coupled with max 50 ko/s upload.....:( so i think it will take me the whole week end to upload it (maybe even more). But i would do it gladly if it helps

EDIT : i forgot about the variant of the Hard Drive that might be different aswell. I ve got a 750 Go HD 7200 tr/min. Do u also have a stand alone HD?

MrRuckus
06-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Windows 8.1 works great on the G750. I would look at any other hardware you have connected to the laptop that you will use on a daily basis. I say this because I have had some serious issues with my Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset after going to 8.1. The sound is completely different and seriously degraded in quality from what they are on a Windows 7 or older OS (Win8 they sounded bad, 8.1 made them even worse). Im currently looking at getting another headset because of it and seriously pissed about it since I spent close to $100 on these headphones and they sound awesome on any older machine, just not my laptop. :/

So I would look at your components, and look to the manufacturers for the 8.1 drivers and research to make sure you wont have any problems.. I run Windows 8.1 as my daily driver on the G750 and it runs flawless. The Headset issue is a Corsair driver issue as seen by their forums, so I cant fault the laptop for that.

Tom Windschitl
06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
I have sent a technical inquiry to ASUS as of today. So i will update you all on what i get back from them!