PDA

View Full Version : 750JZ is slow to boot up

Rogkam
05-24-2014, 04:49 PM
My JZ is really slow to boot up compared to my previous JH. For example when i boot it up. I see my username and password letterbox it takes 3 seconds for me to be able to type anything. Then once I punch in my password, it takes another 20 seconds.

My JH took about a total of 3 seconds into the desktop.

hmscott
05-25-2014, 03:25 AM
My JZ is really slow to boot up compared to my previous JH. For example when i boot it up. I see my username and password letterbox it takes 3 seconds for me to be able to type anything. Then once I punch in my password, it takes another 20 seconds.

My JH took about a total of 3 seconds into the desktop.

Rogkam, it could be a few things, did you disable all the startup crud that programs sneak in? Go into the task manager => startup and disable everything, then try it again.

If you are still installing lots of stuff between reboots, the system will try to re-optimize startup at the next boot, and that takes extra time. Try not installing anything, and run through 2-3 reboots, and then measure on the 3-4 reboot.

If you are installing lots of stuff, and uninstalling, you will fragment the disk. I use Perfect disk to optimize - SmartPlacement initially to optimize startup layout, then switch to SSD Optimize during normal operation - if you have an SSD. The trial is free, and I ended up purchasing PerfectDisk.

You also might try disabling startup login, like while you are at home - I don't recommend leaving login off if you carry it out of the house - and see if that helps.

I have about 1.1 sec bios time showing in Task Manager => Startup, and 5 seconds in Norton Utilities 16.

You could also install CCleaner, and clean out all the cruft that Windows accumulates - I am pretty active so I clean out 500-1.5GB on a regular basis, if you haven't done it since installs/updates, you can clean out 2-5GB.

Rogkam
05-26-2014, 03:41 AM
ah yes, that was it. I did just get the machine and i've been installing and uninstalling programs and games like crazy. i restarted about 2-3 times after that the boot ups are back to 3 seconds. Thats also with nothing touched at start up. Everything is still as stock as i purchased it.

thanks again!

hmscott
05-26-2014, 08:10 AM
ah yes, that was it. I did just get the machine and i've been installing and uninstalling programs and games like crazy. i restarted about 2-3 times after that the boot ups are back to 3 seconds. Thats also with nothing touched at start up. Everything is still as stock as i purchased it.
thanks again!

Rogkam, cool, the other stuff I mentioned will help too...if you aren't already doing it :)

Rogkam
05-28-2014, 06:46 PM
hmscott i'm really liking the perfect disk. But is there a way I can test the read/write speeds to see how fast they are and also is there a way to make my games boot up even faster.

I just installed a 250GB samsung evo SSD and I'd like to know which SSD I want to install my steam/origin in for faster game load times

hmscott
05-28-2014, 10:23 PM
hmscott i'm really liking the perfect disk. But is there a way I can test the read/write speeds to see how fast they are and also is there a way to make my games boot up even faster.
I just installed a 250GB samsung evo SSD and I'd like to know which SSD I want to install my steam/origin in for faster game load times

Rogkam, there are a number of good performance testing programs, but unless I am looking for a performance problem, where I want exhaustive detail, I use CrystalDiskMark and CrystalDiskInfo - watch out when you install, some versions have parasitic installs for software you don't want, read the options and check boxes completely before clicking next :)

The disk throughput results I post here are with CrystalDiskMark, I mostly drop the size down from 1024MB to 512MB, and 3 iterations instead of 5, to shorten the test time, results are close between the two settings.

You have to decide on the balance between C drive usage, and performance, but I install most everything I can on the 2nd drive, I keep my Steam, Origin, Battlenet, Ubisoft, etc folders there, off of the C drive.

Some things I install the program on the C drive, and the data on the 2nd drive - if it allows it, I do it. Sharing the IO across more controllers usually improves performance overall.

Perfectdisk keeps things optimized for me as I install/uninstall many times a week, and I let it do it automatically for me, and only force things manually if I am doing a test for numbers.