PDA

View Full Version : 4 Asus G750 JM's and now on second JS

dblkk
05-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm sure most of you hear have seen and heard my posts before. Mainly reguarding ridiculous temps while rendering. 100-105 c with thermal throttling on at least 2 cores.

Well, just and I mean just got my replacement JS model from amazon via ups.

Just signed into with live account and letting windows do its thing quick. Then will d/l intel extremem tuning utitlity, and stress test this, while I download sony vegas 12 pro and cyberlink powerdirector 12. Seeing as how all laptops before ran hot, yet acceptable during stress, it was the rendering that pushed high and throttling.

Fingers crossed, as this is Asus's last shot. And I really love just everything about this laptop. Just everything screams awesome. But if its going to run hot and throttle. I'm going msi route. I know that'll run hot and throttle, but at least ill get 4800 and 880m for the same issues.

dblkk
05-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Does anyone think it matters if I do all updates windows/asus first, or just run tests? I don't remember there being any update that helped or changed anything as far as cpu temps. Would I be correct?

Bgallodoro24
05-28-2014, 07:08 PM
Just got my jm yesterday. Just ran cpu 5min stress test and temp was stable between 72 & 75C.

dblkk
05-28-2014, 07:24 PM
on battery, balanced power mode, cpu max temps were 88-91c

via intel extreme tuning stress test

dblkk
05-28-2014, 07:41 PM
plugged in on high performance setting, temps were 90-93c

also via intel extreme tuning stress test

Trying to do same thing on old laptop, but keep getting error while launching intel extreme tuning utility. Telling me there is already another performance tuning application running. This is upon first boot and there are no other programs running.

But I remember running these when I first got it to compare with my jm model, and they were about on par with what I got from my new one.

But im downloading cyberlink power director 12 ultimate right now. I'd do vegas first as that's the more intense one but that take a good 4 hours to download, this one is like 20 min.

But that is also the program I use most often, and the program that also (along with vegas) makes me throttle.

Bgallodoro24
05-28-2014, 07:42 PM
i was plugged in, performance mode. How long did you test for?

Bgallodoro24
05-28-2014, 07:46 PM
im def. glad i went with the 860.

dblkk
05-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Ran 15 min test, but after about 2 min into it every time, temps were a pretty average 90c. All the way through the test.

I started off with 860m JM model, same issues. Plus I'm cpu extensive testing, nothing to do with graphics card, as that's on the other side of the laptop

Bgallodoro24
05-28-2014, 08:32 PM
i did cpu test as well for 5min. So far im very happy with this laptop. Just installed Planetside 2 and ran it on ultra for a few min. with fraps and i was in high 50 to low 60.

Bgallodoro24
05-28-2014, 08:32 PM
How do you monitor temps while gaming?

dblkk
05-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Well hwinfo will run in background: give you high/low/avg. Otherwise if you download and instal msi afterburner and rival tuner. Rival tuner works with hwinfo, you can use mwinfo in the settings to choose which/what you want displayed, then select push to rivaltuner. Then when your in game, it works like fraps up in the corner, and will display whatever you want it to. I choose, fps, gpu temp, cpu temp, gpu % load, cpu core 1 and 2 % load.

hmscott
05-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Well hwinfo will run in background: give you high/low/avg. Otherwise if you download and instal msi afterburner and rival tuner. Rival tuner works with hwinfo, you can use mwinfo in the settings to choose which/what you want displayed, then select push to rivaltuner. Then when your in game, it works like fraps up in the corner, and will display whatever you want it to. I choose, fps, gpu temp, cpu temp, gpu % load, cpu core 1 and 2 % load.

dblkk, one of the hidden benefits of troubleshooting hardware, you become expert at using the tools available to collect data :)

Hows it look so far dblkk?

hmscott
05-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Does anyone think it matters if I do all updates windows/asus first, or just run tests? I don't remember there being any update that helped or changed anything as far as cpu temps. Would I be correct?

dblkk, it's not a bad idea to test before updating, just to get a set of baseline numbers. You may be surprised to discover some readings get better/worse as you update/upgrade, so testing at each major upgrade point might not be a bad idea.

hmscott
05-28-2014, 09:52 PM
on battery, balanced power mode, cpu max temps were 88-91c
via intel extreme tuning stress test

What are idle temps? 0% idle.

dblkk
05-28-2014, 09:54 PM
so far, so good. Tried to d/l just the program itself and then load a saved project and files. Program told me that the saved project was created using additional features not available on my current one. so spend another hour downloading all that crap. Started rendering 18 min ago, been at 100% solid now for about 10 min. Temps shot up to 90-91 and hold pretty close, with small dips down to 88c and a few jumps to 93c. But holds pretty steady at 90c. Which is 10c lower than my other, and also 10c away from thermal throttling.

None of this is 100% accurate though. I haven't downloaded any updates, or anything. just monitoring software and video editing software. Will need to do windows/asus/ect updates, set up my settings and profiles, and everything else. Then ill try sony vegas.

But so far its looking good. I'm pretty sure first test run on my last laptop gave me high 90's with no throttling.

dblkk
05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Yes hmscott, all valid points/ideas. Will be doing testing every round of updates. Havent gotten a true baseline 0% load/idle yet, but upon first boot it was around 20-40% cpu and was sitting around 65-70c. Which was around same as last, fan noise was minimal though and before it was noticeable.

After this movies done it is supper time, so ill let it sit while I eat and that should give me a pretty accurate idle. Screen shotting all along the way as well as writing down some notes to compare with later on.

dblkk
05-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Yes hmscott, all valid points/ideas. Will be doing testing every round of updates. Havent gotten a true baseline 0% load/idle yet, but upon first boot it was around 20-40% cpu and was sitting around 65-70c. Which was around same as last, fan noise was minimal though and before it was noticeable.

After this movies done it is supper time, so ill let it sit while I eat and that should give me a pretty accurate idle. Screen shotting all along the way as well as writing down some notes to compare with later on.

hmscott
05-28-2014, 10:25 PM

Idle should be reached within 3-5 minutes, even from a hot run.

BTW, I have been meaning to ask someone, does the Turbofan only boost the GPU fan, or does it boost the CPU fan too?

dblkk
05-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Havent noticed any turbo fan. I know cpu fan seems to ramp up pretty quick but only when you jump to full cpu load. And that maxes around 4500rpm, never seen anything higher, typical idle is 2200 rpm, and average rpm around 3000. Gpu fan I barely ever hear or even feel, but I do know that the gpu fan is larger than the cpu fan, which I don't get since gpu fan rarely runs and cpu fans always on. But either way, ive never had a problem gpu side of things, gpu still sitting at 90c after an hour and a half of 3200mhz cpu, no dips just a constant 100%. Oh its been so long.

Ill keep checking actual rendering in between so many groups of updates I do, and lets hope that this thing stays good.

hmscott
05-28-2014, 10:57 PM
Havent noticed any turbo fan. I know cpu fan seems to ramp up pretty quick but only when you jump to full cpu load. And that maxes around 4500rpm, never seen anything higher, typical idle is 2200 rpm, and average rpm around 3000. Gpu fan I barely ever hear or even feel, but I do know that the gpu fan is larger than the cpu fan, which I don't get since gpu fan rarely runs and cpu fans always on. But either way, ive never had a problem gpu side of things, gpu still sitting at 90c after an hour and a half of 3200mhz cpu, no dips just a constant 100%. Oh its been so long.
Ill keep checking actual rendering in between so many groups of updates I do, and lets hope that this thing stays good.

dblkk, answered my own question while looking for a snippet to show you where to turn on the GPU fan "Turbo", it's not "Turbo", it's "Run GPU Fan on Full Speed", and is toggled from the Asus GPU Tweak Tool for Laptops.

The only screen shot I have is from when I tried that version on my G750JH, which of course isn't supported, but it shows the switch/toggle for the "Run GPU Fan on Full Speed"

I don't know if it will affect CPU temps too, but it might be worth a try to see what effect it has on your overall temps for rendering.

dblkk
05-28-2014, 11:22 PM
Oh yes, I have seen and tried it once to see what exactly it was. And yes, it turns that bigger gpu fan on max. Not sure what rpm it was, but boy was that sucker loud. Havent tried it while rendering as typically core usage is very low and only gpu memory gets used. But next run ill try it out.

N/m, I was still rendering so I tried it out. I was bouncing between 88c and 92c, with gpu fan max im bounching between 86c and 88c. So apparently it does help out a little.

the cpu fan stays at current speed, gpu fan speed is 25500, which would explain why so loud. gpu temp same at 40-42c.

MrRuckus
05-28-2014, 11:40 PM
I wonder if its the paste jobs you had on your previous laptops. It seems there's a varying degree when it comes to temps and these laptops from one to another.

It reminds me of a time when I picked up a GTX295 back in the day and had 4 screws missing from the chassis out of the box. This caused the VRM's to run under load on one side of the card at 105c. That was a $530 purchase for a single graphics card and the QA was lacking. I ended up getting in contact with the manufacturer (eVGA) and they send me a whole set of new screws. But it goes to show that poor QA can lead to high temps on these heat sensitive electronics if everything is not seated correctly. I would repaste myself normally, but these G750's (and laptops in general) are no joke to take apart to that level where you can repaste.

While these notebooks are great performance for the dollar (I doubt you can find better), the QA does seem to slip at times. My sister recently picked up a refurbished Asus Ultrabook and the touchpad was as others have reported on some of the G750's here where the touchpad was so very slightly off center, this caused a small 2mm or so gap on one side which is easily seen on a laptop that is all aluminum in color on everything and that small gap is black. Its not enough to make her return it, but a noticeable eyesore none the less.

If Asus would go just that little extra mile to make sure QA is there, issues like this and others may be reduced. 10 degree's is a pretty big difference when you're running a product at 80-90% thermal capacity.

Thanks for all the info DBLKK, here's to hoping your current G750 holds up temp wise!

dblkk
05-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Yes QA should be better, especially with a $2000 laptop. But I think my main thing is, and why I'm having so many problems, that I'm rendering a lot with the laptop. Benchmarks will put a synthetic 100% max cpu load, but I'm actually putting a 100% pure workload on cpu. Yes mine does run a little warmer than it should otherwise, but I'm working this thing hard. I feel that way more users have the same issue as I have, they just don't know it as they are probably just gaming on it. If that makes any sense.

I'm sure the misaligned/improper amount/bad mixture of thermal paste is to blame. And although it could eaily just be a hit or miss, I think its probably the machine itself not lined up. Laptop still works just fine, games fine, runs programs fine, and never throttles. But when you use the most demanding thing (video editing/3d rendering), that's where that just little bit of umph comes into play.

And as for Asus being the great performance per dollar, that's got to go to the MSI GT70 dominator pro. For similar priced asus, youd get an msi with 4800 i7 and next step up graphics. But for best overall performance/quality gaming laptop, yes that's asus hands down. Honestly I think its just the best. The msi is a better value, and the alienware might have an edge on quality, but for performance/cooling/quality/looks/feel, Asus just hands down.

I wonder if its the paste jobs you had on your previous laptops. It seems there's a varying degree when it comes to temps and these laptops from one to another.

It reminds me of a time when I picked up a GTX295 back in the day and had 4 screws missing from the chassis out of the box. This caused the VRM's to run under load on one side of the card at 105c. That was a $530 purchase for a single graphics card and the QA was lacking. I ended up getting in contact with the manufacturer (eVGA) and they send me a whole set of new screws. But it goes to show that poor QA can lead to high temps on these heat sensitive electronics if everything is not seated correctly. I would repaste myself normally, but these G750's (and laptops in general) are no joke to take apart to that level where you can repaste.

While these notebooks are great performance for the dollar (I doubt you can find better), the QA does seem to slip at times. My sister recently picked up a refurbished Asus Ultrabook and the touchpad was as others have reported on some of the G750's here where the touchpad was so very slightly off center, this caused a small 2mm or so gap on one side which is easily seen on a laptop that is all aluminum in color on everything and that small gap is black. Its not enough to make her return it, but a noticeable eyesore none the less.

If Asus would go just that little extra mile to make sure QA is there, issues like this and others may be reduced. 10 degree's is a pretty big difference when you're running a product at 80-90% thermal capacity.

Thanks for all the info DBLKK, here's to hoping your current G750 holds up temp wise!

hmscott
05-29-2014, 12:28 AM
...N/m, I was still rendering so I tried it out. I was bouncing between 88c and 92c, with gpu fan max im bouncing between 86c and 88c. So apparently it does help out a little.

the cpu fan stays at current speed, gpu fan speed is 25500, which would explain why so loud. gpu temp same at 40-42c.

dblkk, that's great news, I was hoping the Max GPU fan would increase the cool airflow into the laptop, which the CPU fan can then "draft" off of, and that is a good improvement off the top temp for the CPU, about 4C :)

If you can take the noise, perhaps on long rendering jobs it will be worth it. I don't think the fan is really running at 25.5k, but I haven't heard it - maybe it is.

Interesting that maxing the GPU fan didn't drop the GPU temps... perhaps the load on the GPU isn't high enough when... rendering?? Wait, did you check to make sure that the rendering is happening on the Nvidia GPU instead of the Intel GPU? Those Nvidia GPU temps are idle temps...

dblkk
05-29-2014, 12:39 AM
Yes, gpu temps were idle temps. Which would easily explain the temperature. And yes the drafting/increased airflow was a nice call. I also tried running max cpu at 99% to disable turbo. I know it'll work and it'll help, but not what I expect to have to do on a $2000 machine known for its cooling ability. I'd expect that much from the single fan msi, but even then normal high temps on msi are both cpu/gpu at 90c. Which I doubt we will see 90c gpu on asus, but for a while there I would've been tickled pink to run 90c on cpu.

But yes, now its the long upgrading, installing, hardware transferring, software installing grueling process that comes with new laptops. Hopefully this time tomarrow ill have everything almost back to normal.

As for GPU speeds, it is yes noisier than the cpu running at 4500 rpm, but given gpu is larger fan and 25k is 6x faster than cpu, I doubt those are accurate speeds. But yes, very nice to know I have that option if need be.

hmscott
05-29-2014, 12:42 AM
Yes, gpu temps were idle temps. Which would easily explain the temperature. And yes the drafting/increased airflow was a nice call. I also tried running max cpu at 99% to disable turbo. I know it'll work and it'll help, but not what I expect to have to do on a $2000 machine known for its cooling ability. I'd expect that much from the single fan msi, but even then normal high temps on msi are both cpu/gpu at 90c. Which I doubt we will see 90c gpu on asus, but for a while there I would've been tickled pink to run 90c on cpu.

But yes, now its the long upgrading, installing, hardware transferring, software installing grueling process that comes with new laptops. Hopefully this time tomarrow ill have everything almost back to normal.

As for GPU speeds, it is yes noisier than the cpu running at 4500 rpm, but given gpu is larger fan and 25k is 6x faster than cpu, I doubt those are accurate speeds. But yes, very nice to know I have that option if need be.

dblkk, is the problem with running your rendering software on the Nvidia GPU an Optimus switching issue, or will it not run at all on an Nvidia GPU? Would it run on an Nvidia GPU on a JW/JX/JH or would it fail due to not having access to an Intel GPU - as it is disabled on those models?

I would think the performance improvement running on the Nvidia GPU over the Intel GPU would be worth pursuing.

The Sony site seems to think the 7xxm and 8xxm have CUDA support above Vegas 11:
https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5062/kw/nvidia/related/1
https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5073/kw/nvidia
https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5067/kw/nvidia/related/1
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

There may be some tweaks you can use with Nvidia Inspector to force the Vegas app to use the Nvidia GPU? It really would be a nice comparison between the Intel and Nvidia GPU.
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/nvidia_inspector_download.html

I wonder if there is a way for the CUDA processing to be accessible even when the Intel GPU is the primary processor for the app? I seem to recall, long ago, setting up both an ATI card and an Nvidia card on a desktop, and using the Nvidia CUDA processing for SETI@HOME while running through the ATI card as my primary video.

Interesting thread on keeping Nvidia speeds during rendering, might be a bit early, first you need to figure out how to force Vegas to use Nvidia:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1267918/guide-nvidia-inspector-gtx670-680-disable-boost-fixed-clock-speed-undervolting

dblkk
05-29-2014, 02:27 AM
Yes, both vegas and powerdirector my main used programs are easily set and I think globally set to performance/NVidia.

I had to force photoshop cs6 and pinnacle studio, but that's jut because they were globally set to NVidia.

I also set chrome to nvida and IE to stay intel. That way when on battery I know ill just use ie but if I want/need temps down ill run chrome

hmscott
05-29-2014, 02:34 AM
Yes, both vegas and powerdirector my main used programs are easily set and I think globally set to performance/NVidia.

I had to force photoshop cs6 and pinnacle studio, but that's jut because they were globally set to NVidia.

I also set chrome to nvida and IE to stay intel. That way when on battery I know ill just use ie but if I want/need temps down ill run chrome

dblkk, ok :)

So you left the rendering on the Intel GPU/CPU to test the max temp loads?

You can also use prime95 for that... or are you finding the rendering is a more intense load than prine95? Thats good to know, I use prime95 for power supply / cooling load testing, if Vegas is a higher load, maybe I should start using that.

What is the performance X for using the G750 Nvidia GPU over the G750 Intel GPU for Vegas rendering?

dblkk
05-29-2014, 01:32 PM
I've been using NVidia gpu for programs. I've retested twice more for just a quick first 5 min of my render and temps are still around 90c. I'll definitely use intel and see what that gives me for temps. But I'm trying to test how I would normally use the program, which is also what I know for a fact led to thermal throttling on my last ones.

dblkk
05-29-2014, 01:33 PM
And yes, I've ran prime/intel tuning on my last laptop, and ran high 90's temp wise with no throttling. But I go and render a movie, with and without gpu acceleration, and bam 100's and throttling. So I do think that actual workload is just a tad more than a synthetic workload.

hmscott
05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
And yes, I've ran prime/intel tuning on my last laptop, and ran high 90's temp wise with no throttling. But I go and render a movie, with and without gpu acceleration, and bam 100's and throttling. So I do think that actual workload is just a tad more than a synthetic workload.

When you do the rendering on the Nvidia GPU, what kind of % load is on the CPU? I would imagine when using the Intel GPU for rendering the CPU load is 100%.

dblkk
05-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Sadly my max temps are dropping now, last set of updates and driver installs just done an hour ago. Now rendering this movie yields me 85-87c. So, althought that's great, im going to remake a quick movie and make sure effect are being added which will add more stress. I don't think I should be lowering temps but if that is indeed correct, this is freaken awesome. Coolest normal running laptop ive had out of like 5 or 6 laptops now. That's all it took, 6th time a charm

dblkk
05-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Been running prime now for about 15 min, temps got up to 95c, but average around 90's.

Also tried powerdirector using the intel graphics, same temps as while using NVidia, around 90's.

dblkk
05-29-2014, 04:07 PM
When you do the rendering on the Nvidia GPU, what kind of % load is on the CPU? I would imagine when using the Intel GPU for rendering the CPU load is 100%.

Rendering using gpu acceleration, it still utilized 100% cpu, and small fraction of gpu, mainly memory of gpu.

Scionyde
05-29-2014, 05:29 PM
And as for Asus being the great performance per dollar, that's got to go to the MSI GT70 dominator pro. For similar priced asus, youd get an msi with 4800 i7 and next step up graphics. But for best overall performance/quality gaming laptop, yes that's asus hands down. Honestly I think its just the best. The msi is a better value, and the alienware might have an edge on quality, but for performance/cooling/quality/looks/feel, Asus just hands down.

Actually, if you truly wanted great performance per dollar, I'd look at some of the Sager/Clevo models. ;) I was strongly leaning toward them, but all of the models with the Maxwell 860M were single heatpipe per CPU/GPU and single fan. >_<

dblkk
05-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Well, updates are done, programs are mostly installed. Havent gamed yet, but rendered using both most used programs, ran intel, ran prime, ran intel and prime, and I can get spikes about 93c, but avg is 88-90. Not a hint of thermal throttle yet.

Will be getting furmark next and try that, and try furmark and prime together. If I cant force this sucker to overheat I will have no doubt that it can keep cool, which is so much a relief.

On that note, I read on a different forum a user took apart his laptop and rethermal pasted, said the warranty sticker is only on the cpu screws? Does anyone know if that is correct? If I could, I will take this thing apart tommarrow and rethermal paste just to be on safe side. If there isn't a way to not void and rethermal, well at least this one has/holds good temps, hopefully long enough for this first year to get by.

hmscott
05-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Well, updates are done, programs are mostly installed. Havent gamed yet, but rendered using both most used programs, ran intel, ran prime, ran intel and prime, and I can get spikes about 93c, but avg is 88-90. Not a hint of thermal throttle yet.

Will be getting furmark next and try that, and try furmark and prime together. If I cant force this sucker to overheat I will have no doubt that it can keep cool, which is so much a relief.

On that note, I read on a different forum a user took apart his laptop and rethermal pasted, said the warranty sticker is only on the cpu screws? Does anyone know if that is correct? If I could, I will take this thing apart tommarrow and rethermal paste just to be on safe side. If there isn't a way to not void and rethermal, well at least this one has/holds good temps, hopefully long enough for this first year to get by.

dblkk, I wouldn't take a chance on repasting if you are getting good temps, which it looks like you are. Whether the sticker is broken or not, they can tell if you re-pasted, and it is a call the tech can make to reject it due to user tampering.

Also, it is a bit early to start pulling things apart, let a couple of weeks or more go by to let infant mortality time period elapse. Something else might die in the first few weeks of power on, and if that happens and you need to send it in for repair, that would suck :)

HomieOC
05-29-2014, 10:00 PM
How do you monitor temps while gaming?

connect a 2nd monitor. Thats atleast how i do it XD

dblkk
05-29-2014, 10:20 PM
K, I agree that temps are good, but if I could repaste and get even better temps, that is why I was interested. Out of all 5 previous laptops thermals have been the biggest thing. And hopefully fingers crossed nothing else happens since it seems ive finally got a keeper. My luck if this one broke id get one with bad thermals back from asus.

Running furmark, 15 min 1080p burn in test, gpu runs at 88c for last 10 minuets or so. Highest I saw on previous JS model while gaming was 85c, but on titanfall and such that was a normal 75c. Averaged a poor 20 fps with a few jumps all the way to 21fps haha. But furmark was fine, gpu 88c max and cpu got 93c very max but 90c averaged.

After letting laptop sit for 10 min after running furmark, and no other programs open except hwmonitor, the idle temps are between 48c.

What are normal/your average idle temps?

hmscott
05-29-2014, 10:40 PM
K, I agree that temps are good, but if I could repaste and get even better temps, that is why I was interested. Out of all 5 previous laptops thermals have been the biggest thing. And hopefully fingers crossed nothing else happens since it seems ive finally got a keeper. My luck if this one broke id get one with bad thermals back from asus.

Running furmark, 15 min 1080p burn in test, gpu runs at 88c for last 10 minuets or so. Highest I saw on previous JS model while gaming was 85c, but on titanfall and such that was a normal 75c. Averaged a poor 20 fps with a few jumps all the way to 21fps haha. But furmark was fine, gpu 88c max and cpu got 93c very max but 90c averaged.

After letting laptop sit for 10 min after running furmark, and no other programs open except hwmonitor, the idle temps are between 48c.

What are normal/your average idle temps?

dblkk, right now I am at 37c-41c on cores, 41c on package.

I will run the furmark 15min and update...

dblkk
05-29-2014, 11:09 PM
So your running idle 10c lower than me? I'm sure integrated graphics have a play in that, wouldn't think it would be 10c, but honestly not to concerned/nor surprised with that. As you cpu idle is really only running background programs which is very minimal. Same goes for mine but its also pushing my display.

*Edit*
After restarting pc, and then forgetting about it and checking temps like 20 min after reset, idle are 43-45c on THRM and about 40-43c on core #0-3 and package.

dblkk
05-29-2014, 11:35 PM
:o makes for happy camper

People can argue that you shouldn't have to go through more than one and no more than two ever to get a good laptop. And while I agree, the Asus is just so damn good that its just to worth it to get a good one. And even with the thermal problems I had, it's still a better laptop than the MSI which at best would've been just as hot.

hmscott
05-29-2014, 11:47 PM
So your running idle 10c lower than me? I'm sure integrated graphics have a play in that, wouldn't think it would be 10c, but honestly not to concerned/nor surprised with that. As you cpu idle is really only running background programs which is very minimal. Same goes for mine but its also pushing my display.
*Edit*
After restarting pc, and then forgetting about it and checking temps like 20 min after reset, idle are 43-45c on THRM and about 40-43c on core #0-3 and package.

Cool, literally :)

It looks like there are 2 steps of idle temp on the Optimus G750's, the normal idle where the Intel GPU is keeping the temps up during normal Windows use, and the low idle where even the Intel GPU has shutdown to preserve energy, and the temps drop to "CPU/GPU idle".

Here is the result from running Furmark 15 minutes 1080p burnin - along with CPU temps.

dblkk
06-03-2014, 01:36 AM
Decided today for heck of it ill try temps under stress. So ran intel extreme tuning and ran stress test. temps were around 95c average. So I tried to drop voltages, just a few notches down, and same thing. This is only a 5 min test, I ran 3 times and reach time averages 93-95, gets up to 97c. What the heck is going on here? Not yelling at you, just very confused.

Earlier I played a 'few' matches of titan fall. I have msi rival stats synced with my hwinfo to display cpu %, cpu temps, gpu%, gpu temps, and fps. I was getting high 80c while gaming on cpu, cpu was around 78-80c. The gpu is normal, but don't think gaming at 30%cpu should yield almost 90c.?

dblkk
06-03-2014, 01:38 AM
not happy in the least. Plus today was huge storm day, so inside temps should've been easily lower 60s at worst. Not a happy camper at all.

Thoughts suggestions? anything. This is 3 jm and 2 js models now, in which I feel that thermal throttling is not something I should have to put up with in a $1800 laptop

hmscott
06-03-2014, 02:02 AM
not happy in the least. Plus today was huge storm day, so inside temps should've been easily lower 60s at worst. Not a happy camper at all.

Thoughts suggestions? anything. This is 3 jm and 2 js models now, in which I feel that thermal throttling is not something I should have to put up with in a $1800 laptop

dblkk, what were the values for the voltage offset you tried? HomieOC did about -90mV on his, and his CPU temps dropped 10c, so give that a try :)

HomieOC, have you settled on a stable CPU/cache voltage offset yet? Are you still using -90mV, more or less? Can you please put together a nice post with directions / images for the new JM/JS/JZ users?

I was able to get -125mV on my JW, -75mV on my JX, and now I am stable at -50mV on my JH.

In November last year, initially my JH was only stable at -20mV, so it took some "burn-in" time to a good negative voltage offset on the JH. Gradually I increased the negative offset by -5mV every couple of months, and now it works at -50mV... better cooling the lower the voltage offset.

dblkk
06-03-2014, 05:35 AM
dblkk, what were the values for the voltage offset you tried? HomieOC did about -90mV on his, and his CPU temps dropped 10c, so give that a try :)

HomieOC, have you settled on a stable CPU/cache voltage offset yet? Are you still using -90mV, more or less? Can you please put together a nice post with directions / images for the new JM/JS/JZ users?

I was able to get -125mV on my JW, -75mV on my JX, and now I am stable at -50mV on my JH.

In November last year, initially my JH was only stable at -20mV, so it took some "burn-in" time to a good negative voltage offset on the JH. Gradually I increased the negative offset by -5mV every couple of months, and now it works at -50mV... better cooling the lower the voltage offset.

I tried twice lowering voltage. not exactly sure which ones as I'm not looking at it (I'm on my surface pro in bed now). but I lowered two setting 4 minus clicks. reran stress with no difference. I tried 4 more negative clicks, system unstable, shutdown/restart. so far not to good for undervaluing seems to really like those stock volts. As I'm not willing to give up performance I will not be underclocking or disabling turbo. Not spending this much to have to slow it down. I'll go mid before I do that. But I haven't given up yet, plus have a few more weeks before I have to send first one back, so either tommarrow or Wednesday ill be playing around some more and see if I can't get these volts or temp down. If anything ill just day f it and repaste.

HomieOC
06-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Stable Offset for both is 50 Mv

hmscott
06-03-2014, 06:42 AM
Stable Offset for both is 50 Mv

Cool :)

Hopefully you can inch it down over time to get near that -90mV. You were seeing 10c lower temps on stress runs with -90mV. What do you see with -50mV?

HomieOC
06-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Cool :)

Hopefully you can inch it down over time to get near that -90mV. You were seeing 10c lower temps on stress runs with -90mV. What do you see with -50mV?

i see around 5-7 c less temperature :D

hmscott
06-03-2014, 07:04 AM
i see around 5-7 c less temperature :D

HomieOC, nice temperature drop!

dbblk, a 5-7c drop would put you well below 90c, into the mid 80c's which isn't bad :)

hmscott
06-03-2014, 07:12 AM
I tried twice lowering voltage. not exactly sure which ones as I'm not looking at it (I'm on my surface pro in bed now). but I lowered two setting 4 minus clicks. reran stress with no difference. I tried 4 more negative clicks, system unstable, shutdown/restart. so far not to good for undervaluing seems to really like those stock volts. As I'm not willing to give up performance I will not be underclocking or disabling turbo. Not spending this much to have to slow it down. I'll go mid before I do that. But I haven't given up yet, plus have a few more weeks before I have to send first one back, so either tommarrow or Wednesday ill be playing around some more and see if I can't get these volts or temp down. If anything ill just day f it and repaste.

dbblk, the underclocking/no-Turbo isn't recommended for normal operation, but it is good to know to get more juice out of your battery - plus it's nice to know how to drop the heat should you be stuck operating in a harsh environment.

The clicks are small, and 4 isn't very much - are you maybe clicking on the CPU Voltage setting - which you want to leave at Default?

The Dynamic Voltage Offset and Processor Cache Voltage Offset are the ones to drop. Click on the setting, get the pop up menu, mouse to the right edge and a scroll bar comes visible, click the Up arrow till you get to -50.xxxx mV on both settings, and Apply, then Save as a Profile name like nooc -50mV, so you can load it and other Profiles as you need them.

If you re-paste you might not get an ok on the return or refund... if you are prepared to keep it or sell it afterwards, then go for it :)

But, I am not so sure a re-paste will do more than the -50mV voltage offsets, of course combining both will be awesome.

It is also possible that there is nothing really wrong with the paste, it is just how the new Intel CPU/GPU runs with more of the Core Circuits - video section and rendering section powered up is going to raise the heat baseline.

It would be nice to know...

HomieOC
06-03-2014, 10:12 AM

Lowering volts got me that temperature... My room is also very cool right now too.

If i put fan to max it idles around 33 c lol

hmscott
06-03-2014, 10:17 AM

Lowering volts got me that temperature... My room is also very cool right now too.

If i put fan to max it idles around 33 c lol

That's a nice temp for -50mV voltage offset on CPU/cache :)

dblkk
06-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Alright, dropped both offset voltages. -50 and then tried -75. Then tried -75 and ran gpu fan full throttle. Temps still 95c, lowest -75 and gpu fan 100% still runs 93c.

Don't know what else to try. And as far as thermal repaste, according to several msi gt70 owners, a repaste with a good paste has gotten them between a 5-10c drop in temps. Theyre now running 75-80c, vs the 85-90c before. And one gt70 owner who renders says he never gets above 95c and has never throttled, and several gamers claim during gaming cpu/gpu are both around 80c and never get higher than 90c, plus after paste those temps have dropped 5-10c.

Not saying im going to get an msi, as I don't think amazon will let me switch brands now.