PDA

View Full Version : Can't get past Aptios Setup Utilities partition error using mini tool partition wizar

LENNYc77
05-28-2014, 07:54 PM
I used a Mini Tool kit And made a mistake, reboot and select proper boot device
Can someone please help me?! I'd be very GREATFUL! have the ROG G 85VX running Windows 8.1 64 bit. While I was using a mini tool wizard I either formatted a partition wrong or deleted some files because my notebook restarted and now I'm stuck in the Aptio Set up Utility. After several calls to support they think that my HDD is not affected Every time I boot it reads on a black screen "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected device and press any key. Under the "boot tab" there is a "boot configuration" I configured it to launch PxE OpROM and then under Boot option#1 is Windows boot manager. Under option#2 is the DVD-RAM.. Then under the Security Tab I went down to secure Boot and went "disabled" and then I pressed F10 save and exit exit and reboot nothing happened, same screen.

Clintlgm
05-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Try the eightforums http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/14661-bootmgr-missing.html seem there may be a way to rebuild the boot manager

Mini tool did not cause the problem. If you deleted/damaged your boot partition you'll most likely need to clean install if a repair install can't rebuild it.

LENNYc77
05-29-2014, 12:17 AM
I downloaded ToolKit Partition Wizard Bootable disk, I inserted the disk, I was still in the Aptio Setup Utility page and I made my Boot Option#1 DVD , I also enabled csm , and disabled the fast boot, went to the security tab and disabled the secure boot pressed F10 to save and exit and reboot at the same time spamming esc key and it brought me to a box that says " Please Select boot device:

Windows Boot Manager (P0: HGST HTS541010A9E680)
P2: HL- DT - ST DVDRAM GT70N
Enter Setup

LENNYc77
05-29-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure which option to choose after reading about EUFI and how it works my mind was leaning towards Windows Boot Manager but since it's taken me 5 days just to get to this point I don't want to make another mistake cause I'll probably lose it after that.. Lol... I've spent a lot of time reading and learning about the differences between software and hardware and I'm kind of burnt. It's kind of an obsession to get this notebook going again. I don't know where I went wrong but I did. I just want to get back to where I was and out of the abyss.... I really appreciate your help sir.....

Clintlgm
05-29-2014, 01:49 AM
Well yea I would have gone for the windows boot manager. Once you get it to boot your window the first time you shouldn't have any further boot problems
Once you get it running again backup, create disk image so you can get back when bad things arise

LENNYc77
05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
I proceeded to go to the Boot Manager and windows started retrieving files and it brought me to another screen that said choose a language so naturally I chose the United States and navigated me to another blue screen that said "System Recovery Options" with a paragraph underneath stating This version of System Recovery Options is compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version. So my notebook came pre installed with Windows 8 and now I have Windows 8.1Pro I don't have a recovery disk for either one. So I called Asus support and requested my product key and they said that a request was sent out to Microsoft to send it to me by email but that was last Thur. Haven't had an email from Neither one of them yet. So I'm assuming that I need to research recovering my recovery Files from my HDD but I don't know how to locate my HDD and extract that file. So my question to you my friend is A.) Is it safe to say that I haven't deleted my partitions? And B.) Is there a way back to retrieving my files and restoring my notebook back to the way it was before "my" whole fiasco occurred? Lastly, will you "HELP" me or at the very least guide me in the direction towards self preservation??? I appreciate your time and efforts tremendously.... Yeah I know know that anything I ever do in the future is definitely going to backed up.. Recovery discs, installation disks the whole nine yards... I never make the same mistakes twice......

Clintlgm
05-29-2014, 12:03 PM
So If you have 8.1 Pro you should have gotten a Product Key with that? However to use you embedded key you will have to use a Window 8 core or OEM Disk or ISO. There are several embedded Key retrieval programs out there. Your Key is embedded on your motherboard not your hard drive.
Also you will have to boot your media UEFI As your original system came as UEFI GPT That was all explained in Rewbens thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14583-Upgrading-the-G75VW&country=&status=) using Rufus is the best way to create your usb install media.

1) Download and extract the Windows Product Key Viewer (http://www.datafilehost.com/d/829c7acd)(you may skip step 1 & 2 if your laptop did not come pre-installed with Windows 8 and doesn't have a product key built into its BIOS)

2) Run pkeyui.exe by right clicking on it then choose Run As Administrator, then find your Windows 8 product key and write it down somewhere safe

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html?filter
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/31093-activate-retail-windows-8-1-windows-8-product-key.html

LENNYc77
05-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Well I would think so but it's apparently imbedded into the hard drive according to Asus support. They also said that they would email Microsoft and have Microsoft email me my product key, I also asked Asus support if they would send me so e recovery disk, again, apparently they don't exist. So I called Microsoft back and after 3 hrs back and fourth one of the tech managers remote accessed my desk top and made me a Windows 8 IOS and installation files and we inserted the disk and booted and I tried to system refresh and my system notified me that the driver that windows was in was locked. At that moment Microsoft indicated to me that they didn't have the tools to unlock that driver. I don't know which driver it is so I'm nor sure what to do. Maybe change my EUFI settings or change the boot order on the BIOS. I thought I was in.... Everything looked good as gold until we tried to save all my files before we did a system repair... So again...I'm at a dead end once again... So frustrated I feel like throwing the damn thing against the wall but I still have faith in correcting this dilemma.... Cont.... I was told by Microsoft that I didn't need my product key because it's already in my HDD. So that's a positive....

LENNYc77
05-30-2014, 05:48 AM
Once again, I greatly appreciate all of your time and cooperation.. I just wanted to be detailed of what has happened and now I'm going to follow Rewben's thread and advice. I actually thoroughly read that whole thread a couple days ago and actually have Rufus ready to go in case I needed that option... Wish me luck..... Round 10 lol...

Clintlgm
05-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Yea Lenny if you damaged your recovery partition your pretty much going to have to clean Install, or the Dreaded RMA. You should be able to get your data off the disk by externally USB connecting to another computer.

LENNYc77
05-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Yeah.... I met my ****EN demise today...,, Well, I sure learned a hell of a lesson from that experience.. Now I know what not to do next time and "always" back everything up no matter what! I'm fully prepared now, to avoid any idiotic moves that could potentially wind me back down the rabbit hole.. I just spoke to Asus support come to find out that I still have until June; still left on my warranty regarding software related problems so he said it sounds like it's a software related problem that they're going have to wipe my notebook clean so I get it all done for free, talk about having a horse shoe up my ass my friend... That was definitely sketchy... You mentioned taking my data off externally through USB? I have a windows 7Pro desktop 32 bit. I could connect them together and extract huh???

Clintlgm
05-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Yes you can just connect SATA Cable and power and move your files onto another hard drive. you don't even need a mount for a short term transfer like your going to do. Yes you can never have to many back ups. My critical business files are backed up on two different Cloud solutions, and 2 different local solutions I keep at least weekly OS SSD Images. Most of this runs automatically.

LENNYc77
05-31-2014, 01:46 PM
You're absolutely right.... My G75 VX MET ITS DEMISE BY THE HAND OF ITS OWNER... SO GOING THROUGH MY PAPERWORK, I REALIZED THAT I STILL HAVE A COUPLE OF WEEKS LEFT ON MY WARRANTY. SO I CALLED ASUS TO CONFIRM AND THEY CONCEEDED THAT IM COVERED 100% IF ITS SOFTWARE RELATED..... So I'm off to to FedEx to ship my notebook out to Asus. I've learned some very valuable lessons and I must have a horseshoe up my ass my friend..... Because you already know how expensive the alternative could've been. Now you said I could transfer data externally from my notebook to my desktop... I have the USB connections to do so; so I'm going to give it a shot. Because Asus Support said that my notebook needs to be wiped out.... My gratitude for all your help is astronomical... I've learned a lot and I'm chalking this one mistake up to what not to do...#1) Back everything up before attempting anything that anything to do with a software change... And make recovery discs as soon as I get it back. Thanks again and I'll keep you updated of the out come my friend...

Clintlgm
05-31-2014, 02:42 PM
Yes I would advise you to PM cl-albert he can be very helpful getting your NB though the Service Center successfully.