PDA

View Full Version : G75VX: turn-off-after-resume is back

Zastai
05-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Hi all,

my G75VX had two major issues for a very long time:

about half the time (later this grew to 95% of the time), Windows would not initialize the display properly during the boot: the ROG logo shows just fine, but then Windows turns off the VGA driver to switch to the "real" driver but it doesn't actually get there
after resuming from sleep, the laptop would turn itself off after a few minutes

The second issue resolved itself after upgrading to Windows 8.1.
That made the first issue far less aggravating - I just never rebooted if I could help it (always just suspend/resume).

However, it's now back (luckily, starting Windows worked straight away after turning it back on).

Searches on this forum find many mentions of both issues, but I couldn't see an actual fix listed (I'd expect it to be stickied if there was one).
For the boot issue, I've seen suggestions this is due to using the standard nVidia drivers - is that confirmed? In other words, is installing ASUS' (probably outdated) drivers a guaranteed fix?
For the turn-off, there's a sticky about a auto-reboot after hibernate for G75VW - is this the same thing? Or is there a different fix/workaround for it?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Clintlgm
05-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Hi all,

my G75VX had two major issues for a very long time:

about half the time (later this grew to 95% of the time), Windows would not initialize the display properly during the boot: the ROG logo shows just fine, but then Windows turns off the VGA driver to switch to the "real" driver but it doesn't actually get there
after resuming from sleep, the laptop would turn itself off after a few minutes

The second issue resolved itself after upgrading to Windows 8.1.
That made the first issue far less aggravating - I just never rebooted if I could help it (always just suspend/resume).

However, it's now back (luckily, starting Windows worked straight away after turning it back on).

Searches on this forum find many mentions of both issues, but I couldn't see an actual fix listed (I'd expect it to be stickied if there was one).
For the boot issue, I've seen suggestions this is due to using the standard nVidia drivers - is that confirmed? In other words, is installing ASUS' (probably outdated) drivers a guaranteed fix?
For the turn-off, there's a sticky about a auto-reboot after hibernate for G75VW - is this the same thing? Or is there a different fix/workaround for it?

Thanks for any and all replies.

It sounds like the same issue that some people had with the VW's the fix should be the same? or at least worth a try
The drivers on the Asus Support Downloads are Asus Certified known to work on our notebooks tested and approved
I'm not much help on the Sleep/Hybrid shutdown or hibernate I have an SSD and just shut down everytime since a boot up is only 20 Seconds or so

Zastai
05-30-2014, 11:44 AM
I did at least remember the workaround for the auto-turn-off issue.
The underlying problem seems to be ASUS proprietary keyboard processing, which seems to bypass the normal ways a keyboard driver sends a key to Windows. As a result, Windows does not see any input events and decides that it was woken up for no good reason and tries to go back to sleep which fails miserably (perhaps due to InstantOn & co?).
However, I replaced the ATKMedia executable with one that uses SendInput() to send a "real" media key to Windows. That prevents the issue - so I just need to remember to start my media player upon resume and hit play/pause/next/prev a couple times.

Would just like to get a _confirmed_ fix from someone so that this workaround is no longer needed.

(also are some forum buttons in Spanish for everyone? "Respuesta Rápida" / "Ir a Avanzado")