PDA

View Full Version : New buyer/owner & ASUS G750JS-RS71 thoughts...

6Nations
05-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Hi All,
I have been looking at the ROG series for a while now, and lurking around this forum, as my old (5years and counting) Acer slowly started to creak and groan every time I fired it up, so I have finally decided to take the plunge and invest.

I am looking at a few options:

#1 the G750JM-DS71. It was where I started my searches.
#2 the G550JK, which is a little less in $, but seems to only be on backorder here in the US as of today. I like the sleeker design, but have not seen much (other than the N550...)
Finally, I had this mad idea:
After reading posts from members about the need to upgrade a JM with an SSD, I thought:
#3 G750JS-RS71. (from Costco for $1400) which is like the standard JS-DS71, but has no SSD and only 12gb RAM then adding a Samsung 500gb drive.

Costco G750JS-RS71 with 12gb RAM 750gb HDD for $1400 (http://www.costco.com/ASUS-G750JS-RS71-Laptop-|-Intel-Core-i7-|-3GB-Graphics-|-1080p-|-Backlit-Keyboard.product.100117276.html)

Newegg - Samsung 500gb EVO SSD $260 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249)

Option 3 pushes the wallet a bit more than I wanted, but seems like it might work out well. However, I know either of Options 1 and 2 would both keep me happy.

Any thoughts as to whether Op3 is a good idea, or should I stick to 1/2?
Thanks.

dblkk
05-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi All,
I have been looking at the ROG series for a while now, and lurking around this forum, as my old (5years and counting) Acer slowly started to creak and groan every time I fired it up, so I have finally decided to take the plunge and invest.

I am looking at a few options:

#1 the G750JM-DS71. It was where I started my searches.
#2 the G550JK, which is a little less in $, but seems to only be on backorder here in the US as of today. I like the sleeker design, but have not seen much (other than the N550...)
Finally, I had this mad idea:
After reading posts from members about the need to upgrade a JM with an SSD, I thought:
#3 G750JS-RS71. (from Costco for $1400) which is like the standard JS-DS71, but has no SSD and only 12gb RAM then adding a Samsung 500gb drive.

Costco G750JS-RS71 with 12gb RAM 750gb HDD for $1400 (http://www.costco.com/ASUS-G750JS-RS71-Laptop-|-Intel-Core-i7-|-3GB-Graphics-|-1080p-|-Backlit-Keyboard.product.100117276.html)

Newegg - Samsung 500gb EVO SSD $260 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249)

Option 3 pushes the wallet a bit more than I wanted, but seems like it might work out well. However, I know either of Options 1 and 2 would both keep me happy.

Any thoughts as to whether Op3 is a good idea, or should I stick to 1/2?
Thanks.

These laptops are just great, the feel, the use, just the whole thing is very very pleasant. Gaming wise they are just beasts.

That said, they should/better/will last for the next 4 years at least. The step (JM to JS) gives you a 860m jump to 870m. Now the 860m card is just a screaming fast card, which provides great power usage, but the 870m is more of a heavy hitter. Provides excellent performance but consumes more power. The 870m is the better card and by a pretty decent margin. It should provide at least an extra year of ultra/high graphics compared to the 860m.

If you plan on using this for 4 years or more without upgrading, every last bit you can put into core components you cant change out will make it last longer and keeping you happier.

Honestly, personally, if it was up to me, choice wise, and I couldn't stretch budget. I'd scratch the JM and SSD, and just buy the JS. Then later on I can easily buy an ssd when I have more $$. Yes the ssd is huge difference, but you can always get one and throw it in. Cant upgrade the graphics so you get what you buy.

Prostar Computer
05-30-2014, 08:28 PM
This hinges on a couple of things:

1. Do you need/want a 15.6" screen? Or a 17.3"? (Consider the added dimensions and weight of the 17.3" models)
2. How much graphics capability/potential do you want/need?

In any case, an SSD will yield a huge improvement in all around performance over a HDD. :cool:

Bgallodoro24
05-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Ive had my JM for 3 days now and love it.

sasuke256
05-31-2014, 01:07 PM
max temp while gaming everyone ?

Bgallodoro24
06-01-2014, 08:07 PM
55 and 60 gpu
57 and 62 cpu

while i play smite

Puterguru
06-04-2014, 01:03 AM
55 and 60 gpu
57 and 62 cpu

while i play smite
My temps are at 125F at idle. Is that normal?

hmscott
06-04-2014, 01:53 AM
My temps are at 125F at idle. Is that normal?

Puterguru, it helps to know which model you have :)

The JW/JX/JH idle at 35c-40c depending on the ambient temperature, the JM/JS/JZ idle about 10c higher, unless you do consistent configuration to constantly make sure the Intel GPU onboard the CPU isn't being used - that brings up the baseline temp. You can also drop the CPU idle temp by configuring negative offset voltage for Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and Cache Voltage offset.

So, if you are seeing 125f = 51.6c you likely have a JM/JS/JZ, and have something activating the Intel GPU - like browser tabs open, or another app open that is set to use the Intel GPU/CPU.

Puterguru
06-04-2014, 11:48 PM
Puterguru, it helps to know which model you have :)

The JW/JX/JH idle at 35c-40c depending on the ambient temperature, the JM/JS/JZ idle about 10c higher, unless you do consistent configuration to constantly make sure the Intel GPU onboard the CPU isn't being used - that brings up the baseline temp. You can also drop the CPU idle temp by configuring negative offset voltage for Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and Cache Voltage offset.

So, if you are seeing 125f = 51.6c you likely have a JM/JS/JZ, and have something activating the Intel GPU - like browser tabs open, or another app open that is set to use the Intel GPU/CPU.
Thank you, I have the G750JS - It's 118-125f at idle or with browsing the Internet and no games. This is my first gaming laptop so I wasntsn't sure what temps should be. I thought I read someone else on this forum had temps of 75 while gaming so I thought mine was a little high.

hmscott
06-05-2014, 12:08 AM
Thank you, I have the G750JS - It's 118-125f at idle or with browsing the Internet and no games. This is my first gaming laptop so I wasntsn't sure what temps should be. I thought I read someone else on this forum had temps of 75 while gaming so I thought mine was a little high.

Puterguru, 118-125f => 47.8c-51.6c are normal CPU temps for the JS with the Intel GPU active, as reported so far.

The G750 starts with the advantage of already having great cooling systems for CPU / discrete Nvidia GPU, so the G750 can handle the increase in baseline temps without causing CPU temperature throttling issues under load.

As an aside, we normally use Celsius for comparing temps. I was raised on Fahrenheit myself, and still use Fahrenheit for ambient temperature sharing, but for technical component measurements it is most always done in Celsius.

There are a number of posts on how to set your Global system preference to the Nvidia High Performance GPU, and also posts on how to get specific apps to pay attention to that setting so you can put all the GPU load on the Nvidia GPU and take it off of the Intel GPU - that will help lower temps on the Intel CPU/GPU - the Left cooling fan facing from the keyboard side.

The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU lets you set a negative voltage offset on the Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and the Cache Voltage Offset - which lowers the wattage usage by the Intel CPU/GPU which reduces the temperature - on battery it also saves battery energy.

For the new models it sounds like a setting of -50mV is a good start, some CPU's might accept more - my JW did 125mV, JX did 75mV, and my JH is stable at -50mV.

You can drop the load temp around 10c, and a little less at idle.

But, I wouldn't worry about it, you can likely run just fine as is. :)

Puterguru
06-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Dude your awesome. I appreciate the informative reply. THANK YOU!