PDA

View Full Version : [G73SW] Wireless faster than wired

dwalan
10-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Hello there!
Recently I've noticed that my wireless connection speed runs faster than when I'm connected via wire. I've got the recommended drivers installed for my ethernet adapter. The problem occured when I switched ISPs.
I've also tried switching cable and tried with another computer which get way better results.

I'm using the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.
I'm getting a speed around 10mbit/s now and with my other computer I can get as high as 100mbit/s and when I'm using wireless I reach around 30-40mbit/s which I excpect from a wireless connection.

Is it possible that my ethernet adapter is broken?

dstrakele
10-10-2011, 03:06 PM
How are you doing your speed testing? Are you seeing these results from the same server over several trials?

dwalan
10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm using speedtest.net to test my speed and I've been testing a few times. And on my other PC I can get up around 100Mbit/s and on my G73sw I get maximum 10Mbit/s

dstrakele
10-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Have both systems been restarted prior to testing? Could we see the raw results from both systems? Take a look at http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks to see if both systems are set up equally.

EDIT: It looks like tweaking the registry will not help Windows 7 since it dynamically tunes its own stack, so disregard the above.

dstrakele
10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
This appears to be a report of someone experiencing a similar issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/slow-ethernet-controller-download-speed-in-win-7/af44d882-6277-4f3c-bf29-be97dc6cf97b

Here's another one: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-and-home/Slow-wired-ethernet/td-p/147227

Are you cable or DSL? Who is the provider? Do normal ethernet speeds return on rebooting the modem? What is the OS of the 2 systems?

ES Designs
12-31-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm experiencing a similar problem. I have posted screen shots along with the download and upload speeds recorded from Speedtest.net. As you can see the wired speeds on my G53 notebook are very low compared to the speeds I'm getting on my wife's Dell 15R. I've tried replacing the RJ45 cables, switching ports on the router, and resetting both modem and router. The tests were done after rebooting both notebooks and were all performed in a 10-15 minute window. Any suggestions?

Ray3andrei
12-31-2011, 06:15 PM
i Have a similar problem, when i unplug my laptop, the fps while gaming drasticly lowers ...

BrodyBoy
12-31-2011, 06:29 PM
@ES Designs: It looks like you're using an older Realtek LAN driver. Try installing the latest one directly from Realtek (http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false). (You want the 57Mb one, "Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1477671)".)

ES Designs
01-01-2012, 07:12 AM
@ES Designs: It looks like you're using an older Realtek LAN driver. Try installing the latest one directly from Realtek (http://www.realtek.com/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false). (You want the 57Mb one, "Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1477671)".)

Once I have the zip file downloaded how do I install the new driver?

BrodyBoy
01-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Once I have the zip file downloaded how do I install the new driver?
Extract the zip file (right-click -> extract all), then go into the extracted folder and run the "setup" file.

ES Designs
01-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks BrodyBoy, I got the new driver installed and now my wired speeds are blazing fast. Thanks for the download link and info!

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Download DPC Latency Checker from the link in the OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread. The download page discusses how to use this utility to locate drivers that cause DPC Latency. Spend some time to reduce it if necessary. It will definitely help system performance.

EDIT: Missed the last page post that you resolved the issue. Glad to hear it! Maybe this'll help someone else...

tdot53
01-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I've been having the same problem, I believe. When connected through a wireless network to another network, my speeds are what they should be (on that network). I pay for 50mbps and I was clocking in around 40-60mbps on another laptop. I still am on that laptop. However when I plug the ethernet into my G73SW-BST6 I'm getting rougly between .6-5mbps. Absolutely ridiculous. When I tried called ASUS and asking them about it they simply told me it was my ISP and that if the wireless was working as it should then there was no way the LAN couldn't be working properly. It's fairly obvious by this thread that that isn't the case. I've tried all of the suggestions above. Any other ideas? Could the LAN connectivity on this computer just be broken? Thanks in advance.

kenji
06-17-2013, 01:08 AM
I had the same problem with my G73SW (wired download speeed running at half the speed of the wireless) and was a couple of days away from sending it in for service when I came across this thread. My April 2011 built unit had the same old drivers (which are the newest ones available from the ASUS website) which tech support "updated" to try and fix the problem. I downloaded and installed the new drivers and presto, wired is running at the same max speed as wireless again!! Whoooo! Thanks BrodyBoy! Maybe now my wireless will be more stable now too as it likes to disconnect periodically for no particular reason.