PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ GTX880M 'optimus' issue!!!!!!

barbagiggia
05-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Hi guys,

i bought an Asus G750JZ 2 weeks ago. I have upgraded my OS to win 8.1 x64 and i'm having huge issues with my GPU. I have a GTX 880M 3GB on this laptop + a crap integrated Intel HD 4600, the issue here is that for the majority of the games the nVidia GPU is not used but only the Intel GPU!!!! I have tried the Asus 332.60 drivers from the support website, i have tried the latest 337.88 from the nVidia website, i have tried the compatibility mode launch, i have tried all the settings in the nVidia control panel to make the applications start with the proper GPU but there is no way to make work properly several games.... this is frustrating... you have the best GPU for notebook in the world and your tard laptop is using the integrated one....

Someone else is experiencing the same madness???

Atm only Wow is working and using the proper gpu, others games like Diablo 3, EvE Online and others simply don't use the correct GPU so i get oltrageous fps , like 4-5....

Please someone that have a solution post here!

John.

kingkaan
05-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Hi guys,

i bought an Asus G750JZ 2 weeks ago. I have upgraded my OS to win 8.1 x64 and i'm having huge issues with my GPU. I have a GTX 880M 3GB on this laptop + a crap integrated Intel HD 4600, the issue here is that for the majority of the games the nVidia GPU is not used but only the Intel GPU!!!! I have tried the Asus 332.60 drivers from the support website, i have tried the latest 337.88 from the nVidia website, i have tried the compatibility mode launch, i have tried all the settings in the nVidia control panel to make the applications start with the proper GPU but there is no way to make work properly several games.... this is frustrating... you have the best GPU for notebook in the world and your tard laptop is using the integrated one....

Someone else is experiencing the same madness???

Atm only Wow is woring and using the proper gpu, others games like Diablo 3, EvE Online and others simply don't use the correct GPU so i get oltrageous fps , like 4-5....

Please someone that have a solution post here!

John.

Hey bro,

I have the 870m 6gb in my Sager i hate to say i run into same problems sometime....and those latest nvidia drivers were bad for me have you tried rolling back? they messed up my gpu i had to reinstall windows my temp was all over the place before after reinstalling windows now it doesnt pass 72c in bf4 after hours of gaming...now as far as optimus latest drivers also broke optimus and it was only detecting intel not the 870m..so if i were you i would roll back and try other drivers and see if it works. also you can right click on a game or a program and choose what graphics card you want to run it with..that fixed a lot of problems for me..somehow optimus was overriding my settings in nvidia control panel! hope it works for you bro!

barbagiggia
05-30-2014, 11:32 PM
Hey king,

tx for your feedback m8, yes i rolled back 10 times, disabled the HD 4600, even uninstalled the 4600, but nothing at the end same ****. I have also discovered that if i launch WoW (the only one game that is actually working with the GTX880M all the time with the wow.exe 64bit executable) then i close it and i launch after few seconds EvE Online it work also EvE.... unbelievable... i think there is something totaly ****ed up with Optimus and the game think to use properly the nVidia card but in reality it doesn't or maybe it use the Intel crap gpu. I have ofc tried to right click and launch specifically the game with the preferred gpu, nothing.... i have no words... they release ultra expensive hardwares with no fking reliability in the software management at all what a bunch of incompetents.... no idea if we have to blame MS or NVidia but seriously this is ridiculous!

BIOHAZARD9519
05-31-2014, 02:21 AM
Another alternative is to keep nvidia shadowplay running in the background, it forces the dedicated GPU to stay on no matter what scenario.

ithanium2
05-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Diablo 3 has issues with Optimus, it's a long known problem but both Nvidia and Blizzard say that the issue is not from their side.
There is a fix in the battle.net forums to download Nvidia Inspector and manually set the profile on the driver.

Also, I heard that there might(remember...just MIGHT, so don't get your hopes up) be a way to disable optimus, but I cannot test it because my laptop is still in service.

kingkaan
05-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Diablo 3 has issues with Optimus, it's a long known problem but both Nvidia and Blizzard say that the issue is not from their side.
There is a fix in the battle.net forums to download Nvidia Inspector and manually set the profile on the driver.

Also, I heard that there might(remember...just MIGHT, so don't get your hopes up) be a way to disable optimus, but I cannot test it because my laptop is still in service.

Hopefully man...We all would be very pleased if there is a way to disable crappy intel hd card.

HomieOC
05-31-2014, 11:10 PM
ive been noticing while i play watch dogs.. and i just noticed.. the temps. When im playing sometimes it will get laggy out of nowhere and i noticed my gpu temp dropped from 73 to 68 within a second... and it got laggy then got unlaggy and jumped back to 73 c... My only guess is optimus,

hmscott
05-31-2014, 11:56 PM
ive been noticing while i play watch dogs.. and i just noticed.. the temps. When im playing sometimes it will get laggy out of nowhere and i noticed my gpu temp dropped from 73 to 68 within a second... and it got laggy then got unlaggy and jumped back to 73 c... My only guess is optimus,

HomieOC, hard to say, Optimus sets up the link and keeps going after that, if your Nvidia GPU is downclocking it is all on the Nvidia side - but it might be just a lag - and the load momentarily goes down on the GPU - so it cools off, and then jumps back up again when the load returns.

Do you notice your IO light - Disk light - on the front of the laptop goes bright while the lag hits? It could be loading something from the disk and that is causing the hiccup. Same for the network IO, is there a brief jump in network traffic?

barbagiggia
06-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Shadowplay is not even working and i don't know how to modify properly the setting regarding the default GPU with Nvidia Inspector. I still can't play D3 with the right GPU.

HomieOC
06-01-2014, 12:31 AM
HomieOC, hard to say, Optimus sets up the link and keeps going after that, if your Nvidia GPU is downclocking it is all on the Nvidia side - but it might be just a lag - and the load momentarily goes down on the GPU - so it cools off, and then jumps back up again when the load returns.

Do you notice your IO light - Disk light - on the front of the laptop goes bright while the lag hits? It could be loading something from the disk and that is causing the hiccup. Same for the network IO, is there a brief jump in network traffic?

I think your right.. its the SSD... i have game installed on the SSD

Hegemon
06-01-2014, 12:41 AM
I think your right.. its the SSD... i have game installed on the SSD

Also disable "turn off HDD". I used to have similar problems on other computers before and this fixed a good portion of them.

go to power options -> high performance -> change plan settings -> change advanced power settings -> hard disk -> turn off hard disk after -> set it to "never" (both for "on battery" and "plugged-in"

Hegemon
06-01-2014, 12:43 AM
Shadowplay is not even working and i don't know how to modify properly the setting regarding the default GPU with Nvidia Inspector. I still can't play D3 with the right GPU.

In Win 7 I don't seem to have any problems with both shadpowplay and the inspector. The nVidia control panel works perfectly fine, I can even switch between the two GPUs.

hmscott
06-01-2014, 12:56 AM
In Win 7 I don't seem to have any problems with both shadpowplay and the inspector. The nVidia control panel works perfectly fine, I can even switch between the two GPUs.

Hegemon, he says he doesn't know how to do it, can you please post a step by step with images, or a link to how to do it?

HomieOC
06-01-2014, 05:42 AM
hmscott.. I have the intel gpu disabled when im not using battery... Im Pretty sure its switching to intel or something.. I'm gonna have to investigate more.

ive been using GPU Z, and the NVidia gpu isn;t down clocking at all but the temps go from 72 c down to 60 c and it starts lagging then stops lagging and temps go backup. It isn't downclocking because im watching. My only thought is somehow its switching to intel and doesn't down clock gpu??
I haven't had this lag issue with any other game but watch dogs.

btw... my temps never go up and down + 5 or -5 always in that range.. so when it jumps by 10 c.. its weird really weird.. and its not just a little lag its lag to the point where im getting 6 -15 fps for 10 seconds

Oh, and when it lags it's usually near a wall or something where the least amount of graphics power for nvidia card is needed

hmscott
06-01-2014, 07:12 AM
hmscott.. I have the intel gpu disabled when im not using battery... Im Pretty sure its switching to intel or something.. I'm gonna have to investigate more.

ive been using GPU Z, and the NVidia gpu isn;t down clocking at all but the temps go from 72 c down to 60 c and it starts lagging then stops lagging and temps go backup. It isn't downclocking because im watching. My only thought is somehow its switching to intel and doesn't down clock gpu??
I haven't had this lag issue with any other game but watch dogs.

btw... my temps never go up and down + 5 or -5 always in that range.. so when it jumps by 10 c.. its weird really weird.. and its not just a little lag its lag to the point where im getting 6 -15 fps for 10 seconds

Oh, and when it lags it's usually near a wall or something where the least amount of graphics power for nvidia card is needed

Watch Dogs PC performance patch planned to reduce lag and stuttering issues
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/30/watch-dogs-pc-performance-patch-planned-to-reduce-lag-and-stuttering-issues/

" It can be hard to gauge exactly how prevalent a problem can be, but enough are experiencing lag and stuttering issues that Sebastien Viard, the game's graphics technical director, issued a series of tweets explaining the problem and committing to an upcoming performance patch."

Watch Dogs PC Stutter/Lag Issue Fix: "Lower Texture Quality, AA, Resolution Setting" says Ubisoft
http://www.gamepur.com/news/14850-watch-dogs-pc-stutterlag-issue-fix-lower-texture-quality-aa-resolution-sett.html

Sebastein Viard stated that Watch Dogs on Playstation 4 and Xbox One use 3GB Plus of RAM memory for graphics/visuals and added that since there's lack of unified memory in PC, Watch Dogs suffers random stutter and other graphical issues.

Sebastein further advice PC gamers experiencing lag/stutter in Watch Dogs to lower down "Texture Quality, AA, Resolution" to reduce GPU VRAM usage.
Here is what the tweets from Sebastein reads: "Watch Dogs can use 3+ GB of RAM on NG consoles for graphics, your PC GPU needs enough VRAM for ultra options due to the lack of unified mem"

If you experience lag/stutter on a fast PC, try to lower one of those settings to reduce the GPU VRAM usage: texture quality, AA, resolution

Making an open world run on NG & CG consoles + supporting PC is an incredibly complex task, the team did a fantastic job. Congrats guys!"

Lastly, Sebastein confirmed that development are working on a patch to fix these configuration issues on PC.

"And finally, our PC progs are also currently working on a patch to improve your experience thanks to your reports, stay tuned :) #WatchDogs"

To run Watch Dogs at Ultra Setting on PC, the minimum requirement of VRAM is 3GB. If you have less than that be prepare to experience random Lag/Stutter issue. The only way to fix the issue, lower the texture quality, AA and resolution as revealed by Sebastein above.

HomieOC
06-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Watch Dogs PC performance patch planned to reduce lag and stuttering issues
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/30/watch-dogs-pc-performance-patch-planned-to-reduce-lag-and-stuttering-issues/

" It can be hard to gauge exactly how prevalent a problem can be, but enough are experiencing lag and stuttering issues that Sebastien Viard, the game's graphics technical director, issued a series of tweets explaining the problem and committing to an upcoming performance patch."

ive had gpu z open twice with both 8800 m and intell.... it isn't switching so the game is just horribly optimimized.. graphics really aint great.. I think bf4 looks 20 times better and runs 4 times smoother :D

Rogkam
06-01-2014, 07:34 AM
HomieOC the graphics aint that great i agree! Switched and played some BF4 and wow it looks much better. plus theres no lag either. So yea i do believe watchdogs isnt optimized quite yet until we see a patch. I think im going to stay away from OC my GPU now

HomieOC
06-01-2014, 09:01 AM
HomieOC the graphics aint that great i agree! Switched and played some BF4 and wow it looks much better. plus theres no lag either. So yea i do believe watchdogs isnt optimized quite yet until we see a patch. I think im going to stay away from OC my GPU now

Yeah, My 880M has 4 gb vRam and it was using 4,500 MB of vRam which im guessing was digging into my regular laptop ram lol.. thats what it does right? If video card runs out of ram

Hegemon
06-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Hey guys, I have uploaded a short video that shows the GPU switching with Optimus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Qm8hhFlE8&feature=youtu.be

hmscott
06-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Hey guys, I have uploaded a short video that shows the GPU switching with Optimus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Qm8hhFlE8&feature=youtu.be

Hegemon, thanks for posting the video, it was very smooth, descriptive and helpful. And entertaining :)

The non-Optimus laptop also has the individual Program Settings that lets you do Nvidia settings, but is missing the choice of video card.

Sometimes, when engineers get involved they see the program/system as a mass of features, settings, options, and want to provide the potential for the user (themselves) to be able to tweak and set everything.

For real users, people actually trying to do something with the device, a laptop to play games, we just want the thing to perform the best for each thing we want it to do - what we have been told it will do - and what we paid for it to do.

Those 2 goals aren't mutually exclusive, and for the entire population of users we really want available both options and no-options, but it should be an option to push all the options to the background and actually let us game.

Optimus takes away the spontaneity of gaming, and brings back the reality of suck which we are trying to get away from by gaming. :)

Why couldn't Intel / Nvidia see it was as simple as: AC Power = Nvidia and DC power = Integrated graphics.

And, why did Intel have to put the heat generating GPU onto the same die as the already overheated CPU? Sure, we need a way to switch between AC high powered GPU, and battery low power gaming GPU, but why not let it stand out on it's own, like another bus peripheral device?

When position takes precedent over purpose, the purpose is compromised. Get out of the way Intel, high end graphics are trying to fulfill their purpose :)

Hegemon
06-02-2014, 01:35 AM
Hegemon, thanks for posting the video, it was very smooth, descriptive and helpful. And entertaining :)

The non-Optimus laptop also has the individual Program Settings that lets you do Nvidia settings, but is missing the choice of video card.

Sometimes, when engineers get involved they see the program/system as a mass of features, settings, options, and want to provide the potential for the user (themselves) to be able to tweak and set everything.

For real users, people actually trying to do something with the device, a laptop to play games, we just want the thing to perform the best for each thing we want it to do - what we have been told it will do - and what we paid for it to do.

Those 2 goals aren't mutually exclusive, and for the entire population of users we really want available both options and no-options, but it should be an option to push all the options to the background and actually let us game.

Optimus takes away the spontaneity of gaming, and brings back the reality of suck which we are trying to get away from by gaming. :)

Why couldn't Intel / Nvidia see it was as simple as: AC Power = Nvidia and DC power = Integrated graphics.

And, why did Intel have to put the heat generating GPU onto the same die as the already overheated CPU? Sure, we need a way to switch between AC high powered GPU, and battery low power gaming GPU, but why not let it stand out on it's own, like another bus peripheral device?

When position takes precedent over purpose, the purpose is compromised. Get out of the way Intel, high end graphics are trying to fulfill their purpose :)

Hey hmscott,

I completely agree, Optimus is a good idea with very poor implementation. The problem is that even with better drivers they still can't change the architecture of the new JZ/JS/JM so we are stuck with it.

I think that the worst of the problems right now is the extra heat generated on the CPU die. I never get below 46C idle or not. At least I can't throttle this beast as it handles even the most demanding games in the 80s C, so I will stick with it. I love the laptop too much and honestly even with Optimus and the Intel nonsense it is still far better than the competition. It sucks though that the previous generation is actually superior in that department.

The reason I decided to stick with this one is that my 4-year old G73 never gets below 53C while idling and it's been like this for as long as I've been benchmarking it with no problems whatsoever.

hmscott
06-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Hey hmscott,

I completely agree, Optimus is a good idea with very poor implementation. The problem is that even with better drivers they still can't change the architecture of the new JZ/JS/JM so we are stuck with it.

I think that the worst of the problems right now is the extra heat generated on the CPU die. I never get below 46C idle or not. At least I can't throttle this beast as it handles even the most demanding games in the 80s C, so I will stick with it. I love the laptop too much and honestly even with Optimus and the Intel nonsense it is still far better than the competition. It sucks though that the previous generation is actually superior in that department.

The reason I decided to stick with this one is that my 4-year old G73 never gets below 53C while idling and it's been like this for as long as I've been benchmarking it with no problems whatsoever.

Hegemon, it's an unusual situation, the old generation pure Nvidia discrete GPU is the best choice for most of us - unless you want to game on battery, but then it won't be high performance gaming on battery, so why not just pack a tablet, Sony Vita, Nintendo *DS*, for those times in between high performance gaming with something designed for long duration portable gaming?

So far the battery operation of Windows usage on the G750JW/JX/JH has been great, because I don't need to game on it - my Vita, PSP, 6.9" Android phone are always close by so I don't even think to game on the laptop - besides the G750JH is a bit too heavy to hold up in front of me for very long ;)

I am sure the new G750JM/JS/JZ will last a long time, and totally satisfy and delight everyone that gets one :)

Make sure when you get your G750JM/JS/JZ to check to see if it has CPU Throttling temperatures under full load - and find that out during the 7, 14, 30 day return period, so you can get one you want to keep long term.

barbagiggia
06-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Update regarding this very annoying issue.

At the end of infinite tentatives i rolled back to the latest ASUS GPUs drivers (332.60 for the Nvidia and 10.18.10.3379 for the Intel ) and all the games except EvE Online works properly with the nVidia GPU.

It is definitely an issue related to the switching between the integrated and the dedicated GPU and also seems to affect only Windows 8.1 .

I'm sincerely disgusted by the total absence of REAL support and the complete lack of attention for the clients (actually some of the best clients since we are talking about the top line of products here...). I blame particularly ASUS, Nvidia and Intel while i'm less angry with Microsoft. Knowing how these companies act and how few they care about client's issues i'm pretty sure that we will be obligated to live with this ridiculous/unbelievable issue.

I want to thank all you guys for your splendid support and will to help, i have really appreciated this. This Forum is the only real place where you can try to solve this type of issues.

RacerX454
03-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Go to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Nvidia control panel (open)>Manage 3D settings: Under the "global settings" tab, select the NVIDIA processor; Under "Program Settings" tab, specify what programs use what card when started. Fixed my Starcraft II always seeing the Intel processor. You and also select the "Set PhysX Config" here to use the NVIDIA card as well. See if this helps...

4bluedog
06-05-2015, 01:08 PM
I was having the same problems with my G750JM with GTX860M and looking for a solution since months. Few days ago I've experimented again with drivers and did that:

1. got rid of Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers width Display Driver Uninstaler (in safe mode)

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

2. downloaded latest Intel GPU drivers for HD 4600 and installed it

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2% 84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600

3. rebooted
4. downloaded latest Nvidia drivers for GTX 860M and installed it (NOT the ones provided by Asus!)

http://www.nvidia.com

4. rebooted and have stable software/hardware with newest NVIDIA and INTEL GPU drivers witch gave me maximum possible performance (without OC of course)

If anything before didn't work try this. I've joined this forum only for sharing with You my simple solution.