PDA

View Full Version : g750JS 870m 90c+ temperatures normal?

vandridine
05-30-2014, 10:45 PM
My personal laptop has a 670m, with benchmarks hits low 70-75c under very heavy load. My little brother has a g750JS which he got for college a few weeks ago and while trying to see how well watch dogs preforms it was hitting high 80's to low 90's. I then decided to benchmark using heaven benchmark and after about 10 min it was sitting around 92c. Is this normal for these new 800 series cards? Personally from what i know about gpu's 90c is usually not normal for desktop cards, especially talking about laptops.

noone
05-31-2014, 01:25 AM
benchmarking @ 90 is not great, but to be expected. Benchmarking programs should produce more heat than gaming.

Run HWMon or something whilst playing a demanding game, tell us what the highest temps are.

vandridine
05-31-2014, 02:06 AM
played watch dogs for about 15 min, ended up staying between 89-92C.

BIOHAZARD9519
05-31-2014, 02:13 AM
Remember that the JS will overclock when it sees fit. So you might get some oddly high temps at some points, though I don't think I have ever hit 90 or above on my JS so far. If you are getting temps that high in Watch Dogs, it might be a good idea to go into the GPU Tweak program and run the fans full blast. Would be better for the PC in the long run.

HomieOC
05-31-2014, 02:24 AM
mine runs around 83 c.. so 90 is high but its still ok... . I run my fans full blast when i game though so i get 72 c at full blast during games with the fan on.

I recommend running fan on high

hmscott
05-31-2014, 05:01 AM
mine runs around 83 c.. so 90 is high but its still ok... . I run my fans full blast when i game though so i get 72 c at full blast during games with the fan on.

I recommend running fan on high

It looks like that's why Asus added the Full Fan mode option on the new G750JM/JS/JZ - they run too hot otherwise.

Kinda like the MSI that I took back because it had a switch on the top left of the keyboard platform, just under the screen - Turbofan, or somesuch. Sounds like a Banshee, even with headphones on while gaming - I couldn't take the noise.

I hope the next series of G750's solve these teething issues and get silent and cool operation back...

SirHafizRahim
07-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Remember that the JS will overclock when it sees fit. So you might get some oddly high temps at some points, though I don't think I have ever hit 90 or above on my JS so far. If you are getting temps that high in Watch Dogs, it might be a good idea to go into the GPU Tweak program and run the fans full blast. Would be better for the PC in the long run.

gotta agree with u..my JS were always running on high reso online multiplayer gaming for seriously long hrs. it may reach 12hrs total gaming mode but the 870m GPU doesnt seem to even reach 75. Thats why this notebook is a MONSTER!! good buy only a lil overpriced. BTW apart from switching on GPU to full blast mode, do u find other alternative? eg. cooling pads, external mini notebook fan..not to blow cool air in but place it at an angle of 90Degrees perpendicular to the ventilation windows at the back(if u could imagine). so u are actually clearing the hot airs that lingers around the notebook after being blown out. :) hope this helps a bit though

dblkk
07-31-2014, 02:45 PM
I don't have my JS model any more, and I went through 3 of them. But mine just had high CPU temps while rendering. I don't think a 'single' one of mine had over 80c tops for GPU. Benchmarking, rendering, gaming, nothing. And that was without the max/full fan on.

But 92-93c is the throttling point of the 860/870/880m. So as long as your not hitting that, performance will not be hit. And if you are running 90's, well that's warm yes, but chip was designed to run at 92c constant without problems, so it shouldn't fry the chip.

And on another note, I ended up with the msi gt70 dominator pro with 880m. My GPU (max fan off or on) pretty much runs at 93c the entire time, gaming benching whatever, and it throttles itself sometimes up to 100mhz below stock. And I still don't actually see any lag or gameplay issues. So if your hitting 90c and maybe hit 93c once or twice, I think you should be fine.

Remember that ambient (your room temperature) also comes into play with laptop heat, as well as keeping the back of the laptop (where fan vents are pointing) away from any obstruction for I believe 16"-18".