PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Rog G750 very long reboot time

Punkbuster89
05-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Hi there!
I'm having a weird problem with my G750ROG, sometimes (not everytime but very often) when i turn ON my laptop it takes a very long time to boot on, initially i see a black screen then after 3-4 minutes the ROG splashscreen appear and everything works fine...
ANyone had the same problem or know which can be the cause of that?
thanks!

Rogkam
05-31-2014, 07:07 PM
i only had that problem when i first got the laptop and intalled alot of programs and games. Issue was solved when i rebooted the laptop a few times. hmscott also recommended perfectdisk to quicken up things with the SSDs/hhds

Punkbuster89
05-31-2014, 07:13 PM
yeah also for me the first time was very slow, somethimes everything it's ok and the laptop reboot in less than a minute... it's very strange i'm not adding or removing programs the problem appear randomly...

hmscott
06-01-2014, 12:32 AM
yeah also for me the first time was very slow, somethimes everything it's ok and the laptop reboot in less than a minute... it's very strange i'm not adding or removing programs the problem appear randomly...

Punkbuster89, if it happens randomly something might be updating in the background that you aren't aware of, and that can cause an occasional delay.

It's Windows guys, it's gonna do slow things once in a while, relax and don't spend a lot of time worrying about every slow boot, especially if it boots up quick the next time, etc.

My JH just did a few funny long start ups, black screen for 15 seconds before getting the login screensaver, and then went away a few boots later. Nothing to worry about :)

HomieOC
06-01-2014, 01:14 AM
Punkbuster89, if it happens randomly something might be updating in the background that you aren't aware of, and that can cause an occasional delay.

It's Windows guys, it's gonna do slow things once in a while, relax and don't spend a lot of time worrying about every slow boot, especially if it boots up quick the next time, etc.

My JH just did a few funny long start ups, black screen for 15 seconds before getting the login screensaver, and then went away a few boots later. Nothing to worry about :)

I don't understand hmscott... I've read everywhere that there isn't improvement from defragging SSD... im confused now.. lol.. i do have perfect disk

hmscott
06-01-2014, 01:27 AM
I don't understand hmscott... I've read everywhere that there isn't improvement from defragging SSD... im confused now.. lol.. i do have perfect disk

It's a mystery :)

Multiple accesses are multiple accesses, whether there is dead time introduced by mechanically aligning the head on an HD, or grabbing lots of small blocks all over the SSD, organizing the file blocks in sequential order allowing larger sequential transfers helps throughput.

It if helps, it helps. I leave the SSD set to SSD optimize most of the time, but occasionally I will set it to SmartPlacement and do an optimize run - and it helps. After the optimize, I set it back to run in SSD Optimize mode.

Several other people have done it too, and found improvement in throughput benchmarks, among other improvements.

Just wondering why you ask about that here, we were talking about start up delays, and an optimized SSD might be a little quicker to boot - on the order of a few seconds, but likely not the order of magnitude Punkbuster89 is worried about. :)

HomieOC
06-01-2014, 01:29 AM
It's a mystery :)

Multiple accesses are multiple accesses, whether there is dead time introduced by mechanically aligning the head on an HD, or grabbing lots of small blocks all over the SSD, organizing the file blocks in sequential order allowing larger sequential transfers helps throughput.

It if helps, it helps. I leave the SSD set to SSD optimize most of the time, but occasionally I will set it to SmartPlacement and do an optimize run - and it helps. After the optimize, I set it back to run in SSD Optimize mode.

Several other people have done it too, and found improvement in throughput benchmarks, among other improvements.

I'll defrag and let u know if there is improvements.. heres mine right now

hmscott
06-01-2014, 01:31 AM
I'll defrag and let u know if there is improvements.. heres mine right now

Those numbers look fine already :)

If you already have Perfect Disk it has been optimizing for you in the background.

You probably won't notice much of an improvement over those numbers.

The last person I went through this with was getting 700MB reads, and afterwards it was over 1000MB, you don't have the same problem he was having - your disk isn't fragmented enough yet :)

It looks like you haven't set the Intel RAID cache yet, and you can get improvement for writes by enabling the "write-back" cache. Here are the numbers I have with the write-back cache enabled

And, write through cache - which is safer in case you have a sudden crash/power loss - I usually run with this setting when not benchmarking.

Here are the settings in Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html?wapkw=intel+rapid+storage+technolo gy+%28intel+rst%29

Download SetupRST.exe from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23496&lang=eng&wapkw=intel+rapid+storage+technology+%28intel+rst% 29

HomieOC
06-01-2014, 02:17 AM
Those numbers look fine already :)

If you already have Perfect Disk it has been optimizing for you in the background.

You probably won't notice much of an improvement over those numbers.

The last person I went through this with was getting 700MB reads, and afterwards it was over 1000MB, you don't have the same problem he was having - your disk isn't fragmented enough yet :)

It looks like you haven't set the Intel RAID cache yet, and you can get improvement for writes by enabling the "write-back" cache. Here are the numbers I have with the write-back cache enabled

And, write through cache - which is safer in case you have a sudden crash/power loss - I usually run with this setting when not benchmarking.

Here are the settings in Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html?wapkw=intel+rapid+storage+technolo gy+%28intel+rst%29

Download SetupRST.exe from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23496&lang=eng&wapkw=intel+rapid+storage+technology+%28intel+rst% 29

why is my 4k qd read so low?

ALso, since i did a smart placement defrag on my laptop its taking like 7 seconds longer to boot up the operating system.. but once im in desktop its as fast as it was before... Was it the defragment? Enabling write cache helped with boot i think. i Just enabled it.. thanks! but i still don't know why its booting few seconds slower after i defragged

HomieOC
06-01-2014, 02:24 AM
never mind a reboot. fixed the slow read.