PDA

View Full Version : ROG750JW + 3D vision

Dandil
06-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Hello;

May be this topic as already been discussed but i must admit i didn't search rather well on the forum.
Here's the situation : i did buy a ROG750JW cause i needed 3D vision for applications developpement. But the deception is big : it appears that my ROG 750JW as no 3D vision compatible screen.
Before ordering i did pay much attention to the ASUS web site to check which machine to buy and for this one it was written " Its screen is NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ compatible and supports active shutter and NVIDIA® 3D LightBoost™ technologies".

So two options : the screen is really not 3D compatible and so ASUS simply lies or the drivers are incorrect.
Searched on the ASUS web site for display drivers, i mean screen not graphic card, and found nothing.
Now i have to deal with my reseller to have my machine changed and it's not easy too.

Big thanks ASUS !

Daniel

hmscott
06-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Hello;

May be this topic as already been discussed but i must admit i didn't search rather well on the forum.
Here's the situation : i did buy a ROG750JW cause i needed 3D vision for applications developpement. But the deception is big : it appears that my ROG 750JW as no 3D vision compatible screen.
Before ordering i did pay much attention to the ASUS web site to check which machine to buy and for this one it was written " Its screen is NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ compatible and supports active shutter and NVIDIA® 3D LightBoost™ technologies".

So two options : the screen is really not 3D compatible and so ASUS simply lies or the drivers are incorrect.
Searched on the ASUS web site for display drivers, i mean screen not graphic card, and found nothing.
Now i have to deal with my reseller to have my machine changed and it's not easy too.

Big thanks ASUS !

Daniel

Daniel, yup, you got bit like everyone else, although I haven't seen anyone complain for about a year... maybe you just missed the window of posts that warned people... sorry. :(

It is true that all G750JW/JX/JH can support a 3D screen through the DisplayPort, but only a select few come with the 3D Glossy screen + Emitter + Glasses, and those are the listed items you look for when purchasing - if the sales listing doesn't explicitly list the 3D Glasses + Emitter + Glossy screen, if any of those are missing or poorly listed - it isn't a 3D screen G750.

Here in the US it was very hard to find any 3D G750JX, and I couldn't find any 3D G750JH's. It looks like the 3D screens were mostly shipping in Europe and Asia.

Also early on, for about 8 months, the guys with 3D screens could only use the Asus listed Nvidia drivers, way old releases, as the ones downloaded directly from Nvidia caused crashing + no boot situations. They can now download the newest drivers from Nvidia, but for quite a while it was a mess.

Can you use an external 3D screen? You can hook up DisplayPort to 3D screen, and that will work. I don't think anyone reported success with using the HDMI and 3D external / 120hz screens, so you should be aware of that too. Get an external 3D screen with DisplayPort.

It's a great laptop, if you can make it work I would keep it :)