PDA

View Full Version : G46VW Keyboard Backlight Won't turn on

JayTwo
06-08-2014, 02:46 AM
Hey guys. I got a G46VW refurb not too long ago, and am loving it so far, but the backlit keyboard on mine does not seem to work. I'm worried it may be broken, but I am optimistic because it seems like the increase and decrease brightness hotkeys aren't working either. I may just be doing something wrong. I have WIndows 8.1 installed, and ATK package Version V1.0.0027 and BIOS 210. A few of the function hotkeys are not working, as I said, and am wondering if there is a way to fix this issue, as I think if i can get the hotkeys working correctly, it will fix the backlight problem. Thanks in advance!

travyfresh
06-10-2014, 01:30 AM
I recently puchased a g46vw as well and have the same issue. All of my hotkeys work except the backlight keys. I'm not sure if it is broken or simply a BIOS issue but I would like to find out to prevent me having to RMA it.

cl-Albert
06-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Hey guys. I got a G46VW refurb not too long ago, and am loving it so far, but the backlit keyboard on mine does not seem to work. I'm worried it may be broken, but I am optimistic because it seems like the increase and decrease brightness hotkeys aren't working either. I may just be doing something wrong. I have WIndows 8.1 installed, and ATK package Version V1.0.0027 and BIOS 210. A few of the function hotkeys are not working, as I said, and am wondering if there is a way to fix this issue, as I think if i can get the hotkeys working correctly, it will fix the backlight problem. Thanks in advance!

I recently puchased a g46vw as well and have the same issue. All of my hotkeys work except the backlight keys. I'm not sure if it is broken or simply a BIOS issue but I would like to find out to prevent me having to RMA it.

If the keyboard lights flash momentarily at power up before you get into Windows, this should tell us the hardware is working okay, so check this first to get a better idea what to try next.

JayTwo
06-12-2014, 12:02 AM
I get nothing at startup, but on force shut down, I get a (very) brief flash on the keyboard.

cl-Albert
06-12-2014, 05:13 PM
I get nothing at startup, but on force shut down, I get a (very) brief flash on the keyboard.

Honestly, not sure what the very brief flash on (force?) shut down means, but believe there is some problem not related to the software if you don't see the keyboard flash momentarily at power up.

We may want to verify with other G46VW owners if necessary who have working keyboard lights since I don't have a G46VW test unit to check right now, but from what I remember when testing the unit, it should flash at power-up like all our other lighted keyboard models.

Also, sounds like your software should be set up correctly, so not sure what else we can suggest here except to confirm you really see the ATK package listed under Windows Programs and Features and it is installed.

JayTwo
08-18-2014, 12:48 AM
Yes everything is correct and the ATK package is installed, as shown here: http://gyazo.com/85a7ae872011a4512c827a3cb0893a81.png

I have no idea. My only hope was going to be trying to go back to factory image, but I cannot access my recovery partition, (though it is still there), and I can't find any system images anywhere.