PDA

View Full Version : Bought G750JX, now what?

ƒox
06-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Hello there,
Ive recently bought G750JX from a second hand, it was used for few months but otherwise perfect condition for about 2/3 of the original price. It came with extended warranty, insurance and Origin account with BF4 and Crysis, pretty good deal Id say.
The problem is, it has Win7x64 right now(not really legal one). I want to have Win 8/8.1 which were there originally OEM installed and also I wanna upgrade it with SSD.
I have zero experience with OS installing or HDD upgrade, but it shouldnt cause me any trouble to follow some guide.
So, if I first clean install Win 8(following eg. this (http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?t=191)) then clone it using ASUS Backtracker to Samsung SSD Evo 250 GB and then adding the original HDD into secondary bay(basicaly the same setup which is posted on forum every other day), should everything work?
Also, any tips and tricks for a new user of G750JX(well, not really new, I have it for 3 weeks now wihout any problem)?
Help is very appreciated :)

sasuke256
06-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Undervolt the cpu and overclock the gpu :)

hmscott
06-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Hello there,
Ive recently bought G750JX from a second hand, it was used for few months but otherwise perfect condition for about 2/3 of the original price. It came with extended warranty, insurance and Origin account with BF4 and Crysis, pretty good deal Id say.
The problem is, it has Win7x64 right now(not really legal one). I want to have Win 8/8.1 which were there originally OEM installed and also I wanna upgrade it with SSD.
I have zero experience with OS installing or HDD upgrade, but it shouldnt cause me any trouble to follow some guide.
So, if I first clean install Win 8(following eg. this (http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?t=191)) then clone it using ASUS Backtracker to Samsung SSD Evo 250 GB and then adding the original HDD into secondary bay(basicaly the same setup which is posted on forum every other day), should everything work?
Also, any tips and tricks for a new user of G750JX(well, not really new, I have it for 3 weeks now wihout any problem)?
Help is very appreciated :)

’ox, congrats on the JX :)

If the Windows 7 overwrote the partitioning, and removed the recovery partition, you won't be able to restore the original OEM Asus OS install with what you have.

Installing Windows 8/8.1 is possible because the Windows key is in the BIOS, but that will be a Microsoft Windows install, that will need to get all the Asus apps / drivers installed, and even then it won't be an official Asus install, and some apps won't work - you can't use Asus Live / Installer / Backtracker / ? as they need a real OEM Asus install to support them.

Asus Backtracker, even if it runs, won't have a recovery partition to work with, so it can't make a flash recovery drive.

If you still have warranty, and are close to an Asus service center, you could Will Call it and drop it off to get the OS reinstalled, or ship it on RMA to get the OS reinstalled. Be sure and back up all your data, and send a blank drive to make sure it gets reinstalled :)

Where are you located?

pokerface
06-09-2014, 02:59 AM
just do a clean Windows 8.1 install and get the key from your BIOS, it's much better than the factory installed OS anyway since it doesn't have any bloatware and you will be able to downloaded and install the latest drivers clean!

ƒox
06-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Where are you located?
I live in Prague, Czech republic. Also, I dont really mind not having Asus apps. The only one I seem to use now is Asus Smart Gesture.

just do a clean Windows 8.1 install and get the key from your BIOS, it's much better than the factory installed OS anyway since it doesn't have any bloatware and you will be able to downloaded and install the latest drivers clean!
I think Im gonna do that.

Thank you both :)

HomieOC
06-09-2014, 09:18 PM
pokerface is 100% correct :)