PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ GPU overheat?

Tindrael
06-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Hi!
I was playing some Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Metro 2033 on my JZ (love this laptop!), however I noticed that I have a slightly higher GPU temp during these games than others have. Others report having 74-79C, while I was having 83-85C after 20min+ of gaming. Ambient temp is 26C.

Just for the hell of it I tried Furmark. I know that Furmark does not represent the highest temp that a user gets during gaming, but still it is a good way to test the thermal paste and the cooling system.

First I ran the 15 min test which gave me 70-74C (avg fps during test was 12)

Then I tried the Burn-in stress test at 1920x1080 resolution and the temp I've got shocked me, not even the GPU fas was able to keep up and I've reached the GPU throttle level in less then 3 minutes. Avg FPS was 38.

Here is a screenshot:

Is this normal for ALL G750JZ models or this is due to bad thermal paste or cooling system and I should send it back for a replacement ? What are you guys getting for max temp during burn-in test and 15 min test?

Thank you.

sasuke256
06-08-2014, 07:27 PM
well 93 is way too high for the JZ, it seems that JZ are most likely to go max 80 for the gpu..

Tindrael
06-08-2014, 08:11 PM
well 93 is way too high for the JZ, it seems that JZ are most likely to go max 80 for the gpu..

Even during a Furmark Burn-in test?

HomieOC
06-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Even during a Furmark Burn-in test?

the most my JZ went to was 85 C.... anything more then that isn't acceptable.

Tindrael
06-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Can you please make a screenshot while Furmark is running?

I am thinking now about sending it back and I might include your screenshot as explanation that my temp is not "normal".

Thank you!

ps: What is your ambient temp ?

pps: Is there a way to turn on the GPU fan to max RPM?

HomieOC
06-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Can you please make a screenshot while Furmark is running?

I am thinking now about sending it back and I might include your screenshot as explanation that my temp is not "normal".

Thank you!

ps: What is your ambient temp ?

pps: Is there a way to turn on the GPU fan to max RPM?

Yes there is a way to turn fan to max. Open GPU tweak that came with your PC

the max my fan hit was 85 c doing burn in at 1080.. I Left GPU fan at idle during test
AND i overclock my GPU so your temps are not normal

Tindrael
06-08-2014, 10:04 PM
You are doing the 15 min Burn-in benchmark, I am talking about the Burn-in test!
The test does not have a time limit and it runs with higher FPS.

During the 15min burn-in benchmark my temp stays below 80C, only during the burn-in test it reaches 93C!

Here is my 15-min Burn in benchmark result:

Strangely it runs on much lower FPS for me than for you, is that because of the OC?

My computer did not come with pre-installed OS, I heard there are 2 kinds of GPU Tweak tool, which one should I install ?

hmscott
06-09-2014, 02:32 AM
Tindrael,

For my JH the 15 minute burn-in test and the Burnin test give the same temps / fps, 78c 39fps.

From your screenshot image, there are no frequency numbers showing for CPU/memory for GPU1/2 and GPU3 numbers look wrong/low - it looks like your Nvidia driver crashed - when the Nvidia driver crashes and recovers it runs at low speed to protect the card, until you reboot.

You might try rebooting between runs to make sure you have a clean start on the Nvidia driver.

Or it might have been running on the Intel GPU, but I would think it would be slower than even 9fps on the Intel GPU... maybe watch with an external program like GPU-Z like you did before to see what is actually doing the rendering, and what speed it is running - a crashed Nvidia driver will show lower than normal frequency GPU/mem.

I was able to change Furmark settings to generate a 93c temp run on my JH, give it a try.

Here are the settings:

Here is the run at 50-55fps with 93c, the hottest I have seen on a JH reported :)

Before running that one, maybe back off on the memory clock a couple of hundred mhz, and tune until you don't crash the Nvidia driver.

For reference my 780m is running at 932mhz/6250mhz

ultimate2368
06-11-2014, 08:16 AM
Hi, is that FAN control option avaible only for the JZ and the new 2014 series with 8XXM graphics? I have got JX and I would welcome this option, also.

HomieOC
06-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Hi, is that FAN control option avaible only for the JZ and the new 2014 series with 8XXM graphics? I have got JX and I would welcome this option, also.

It seems that only the 8XXM asus g750 laptops have this option, and they most likely added it because those models run hotter.

Darnassus
06-11-2014, 05:02 PM
I thought it was meant to run cooler, since it now has a full copper heat sink.. ;c

Tindrael
06-12-2014, 12:27 AM
I am starting to get REALLY DISAPPOINTED in ASUS...

Today I've took back my G750JZ to the store and received a brand new, unopened replacement.

I came home, installed Windows and ran a Furmark test...it blowed this one away too.

Than I tried my own test. In this test what I do is I load up Metro 2033 menu and wait what temp it reaches. From this temp I can see the absolute maximum that the GPU can reach during a high gpu intensive game, like Crysis 3.

Here are my result:

Old, originally purchased laptop (26C ambient temp)
with laptop cooler: 86C

New, replacement laptop (28,5C ambient temp)
Without laptop cooler: 92C
With laptop Cooler: 89C

(I've not timed the test, but it was less then 20 min on the new laptop)

In short, during 28,5C ambient temp my JZ can barely stay under the throttling level with a laptop cooler.

I know it is summer and it is hot, but still, I don't think that 2/2 G750JZ should produce such high temps if we consider the cooling system it has ...

Not to mention that I think the CPU is even is running on higher temp in this new laptop and even while typing I can hear the CPU fan speed up...

hmscott
06-12-2014, 04:36 AM
...Here are my result:

Old, originally purchased laptop (26C ambient temp)
with laptop cooler: 86C

New, replacement laptop (28,5C ambient temp)
Without laptop cooler: 92C
With laptop Cooler: 89C

(I've not timed the test, but it was less then 20 min on the new laptop)

Tindrael, you might want to call the shop and ask to trade back... I have needed to do that before, and if you are nice, they will help. Good luck.

It may be that the new series of JM/JS/JZ are just running hotter, as you aren't the first person that returned several different G750JM/JS/JZ only to find small variance's in temps.

Although it isn't optimal, it does work, and it is summer / hot (83F) and you do have a laptop with the hottest GPU, the 880m - I would imagine non-Asus laptops will also run hot with the 880m at high load.

There is only so much that can be done in a small space to disapate that heat. I have had Nvidia/ATI laptops that have run hotter, and ran fine. I don't think your 880m is in danger at 92c.

ultimate2368
06-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Well, JX runs its 770m OVced at the max for +- 78 celsiuseven in these temperatures outside. I am only sad about these fan options. I tried to download GPU tweak for the new series and RPM is set for the max already (6700RPM) and I cannot change that, sadly.

Darnassus
06-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Ran both types of Furmark at 1080. I'm on a 770m though, didn't spike past 70*C. But my ambience is 17-20*C

932MHz clocks

850mV

5200MHz memory