PDA

View Full Version : G75VX Ram Upgrade Questions

neworleans
06-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post to the forum and I am sure these questions have been already asked, so I am sorry for repeating again. I made a search within the forum but couldn't find any answer to this question so I am hoping you guys can help.

I am willing to upgrade my 8GB ram to max. Just opened the back of the notebook to see the ram slots and there are two slots available. I think there are 2x4gb rams already in the system. My question is this. Can I just install 2x8gb rams and make it 24gb ram or should I have to stick with 4gb rams to keep the consistency and install only 2x4gb rams?
My preference would be to upgrade to 32GB but I think I will have to remove the board to reach the other slots since they looked on the other side of the board?

Any input would be appreciated...

rewben
06-11-2014, 04:46 AM
hi @neworleans, check this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23929-Adding-RAM-to-G75&p=168646&viewfull=1#post168646).

there are 2 scenarios: full swap and top-up. both can be done. it's much easier to do full swap, because you don't need to worry about different timings that might result in ram down-clocking, as in the top-up scenario. (although it's really not a big deal, it's better to get the right ram's in the first place)

in your case you will do a full swap, because you need to replace 2x4gb stock ram's to achieve that. yeah you will take out the keyboard in order to access the hidden slots. it can be done with a little bit of patience and g75 tear-down videos on youtube.

stakashima1@gmail.com
06-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Just keep in mind, if you decide to access the RAM behind the KB, you will void your warranty. I had 8G installed and installed another 8 in the two
empty slots and really didn't notice a difference.

elaguni
06-12-2014, 12:53 AM
. . .I had 8G installed and installed another 8 in the two
empty slots and really didn't notice a difference.

Perhaps you haven't maxed out usage of your RAM. Installing additional RAM isn't going to make your computer boot faster. In other extreme cases it would, when your RAM(say 1gb while running Windows Vista :D) is not enough to hold commonly used/startup processes, which are then placed on the HDD = crawling boot/startup of your laptop.

For my case:
Upgraded the RAM of my G75 as soon as I got it = no change in boot time.
Installed SSD = boot and shutdown time is on par with high end macbook pro.
Installed total of 24GB RAM = Now I can run 5 - 7 Server Virtual Machines (which I use for testing) + other programs simultaneously -> this is one of those cases when more RAMs make a difference.

Just saying :)

stakashima1@gmail.com
06-12-2014, 06:37 AM
I picked up the RAM since it was on sale along with a Samsung EVO SSD. The SSD by far was the biggest game changer for my G75. Boot up times of 8 seconds.

neworleans
06-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Thank you very much for every input. I also talked to a couple of Asus tech guys online, I asked them if I could install 2x8GB rams by keeping the 2x4gb ram onboard, they said it is no problem but the last tech guys recommended me to get the same brand which is Samsung, so I ordered 2x8gb DDR3 1600MHz rams for 150 bucks.

The reason I wanted to upgrade my ram is because I am a structural engineer and run offshore structure analysis, some of the analysis take half an hour. I am expecting to reduce this calculation time by adding 16gb ram.

denzalvin
02-29-2016, 05:08 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post to the forum and it is possible that this question has been posted with similar topic but I couldn't find the exact answer that I need, so I need your help please. I have a 16Gb G75VX laptop and I wanted to upgrade to 32Gb to run virtual machines. I already have 2 out of 4 slots used for the RAM and I wanted to add 2 more with the same type but I'm not sure the specific type and specification of RAM. From what I understand in the forum, I can use Hynix 2x8Gb PC3 DDR3 12800 CL11 1.5v , can I use the memory from the links below? Many thanks in advance.

Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Hynix-16GB-2X8GB-PC3-12800-DDR3-PC12800-1600mhz-204pin-Laptop-Memory-CL11-/111568771937

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Hynix-12800S-SO-DIMM-SDRAM-HMT41GS6MFR8C-PB/dp/B00JAB6B7Q