PDA

View Full Version : G56JR not updating nvidia drivers

DWJorgeB
06-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Hello, a friend of mine bought a G56JR w/ GTX760M yesterday that comes with the 332.x driver. He was trying to play Watch_Dogs and we know that the latest nvidia driver helped performance a lot on that game, so we tried to install the latest 337.88 that I have on my G46VW w/ GTX660M, but somehow it can't be installed on his computer, because it doesn't find "compatible hardware".

From what we figured out, ASUS somehow blocked nvidia's default drivers from installing while not keeping their own drivers updated, which is just inadmissible for a brand new computer imho.

Any way we can install the new drivers or should we just return the computer and get a brand that gives people the freedom to install the new software (like ASUS used to)?

hmscott
06-10-2014, 01:55 AM
Hello, a friend of mine bought a G56JR w/ GTX760M yesterday that comes with the 332.x driver. He was trying to play Watch_Dogs and we know that the latest nvidia driver helped performance a lot on that game, so we tried to install the latest 337.88 that I have on my G46VW w/ GTX660M, but somehow it can't be installed on his computer, because it doesn't find "compatible hardware".

From what we figured out, ASUS somehow blocked nvidia's default drivers from installing while not keeping their own drivers updated, which is just inadmissible for a brand new computer imho.

Any way we can install the new drivers or should we just return the computer and get a brand that gives people the freedom to install the new software (like ASUS used to)?

DWJorgeB, it isn't Asus - most likely they already registered the ID for the new laptop/GTX card combo, and Nvidia needs to get it in the .inf file to support install.

There are ways around this, adding it yourself, but it is a PITA, and might not get you what you expect - other driver changes might be needed to fully support the new G56JR video card, so you might go through the process, only to need to boot in Safe Mode and run DDU to remove the driver - maybe even piece by piece.

Here are some info links, in case you want to enter the 3rd ring of Windows Hell ;)

Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide)
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158

nvidia INF modding - quick guide (x64)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKiS9uTqjGA

This is the place to go for modded drivers, they might have one for the G56JR, now or soon, and in the forums, you can request.
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/30969-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files/
http://laptopvideo2go.com/

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 12.7.1.0
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

You might zip up the successfully modded file, for each Nvidia release you mod, and post the zips to laptopvideo2go.com forums, and post a link to them here - not sure abut the forum rules for this...

Let us know how it goes :)

DWJorgeB
06-10-2014, 03:35 AM
DWJorgeB, it isn't Asus - most likely they already registered the ID for the new laptop/GTX card combo, and Nvidia needs to get it in the .inf file to support install.

So, it may come built-in on future drivers?

I may try to mess around with INF files if this doesn't get sorted out.

Thank you for the info :)

hmscott
06-10-2014, 04:04 AM
So, it may come built-in on future drivers?

I may try to mess around with INF files if this doesn't get sorted out.

Thank you for the info :)

Unknown if Nvidia will eventually support the G56JR, but I would be surprised if it isn't, every other Asus I have seen eventually gets support - anyone's experience different? - any laptop GTX cards still not supported?

Here is the current r337 thread on laptopvideo2go, and it includes the latest modded inf file:
http://laptopvideo2go.com/infs/335series/33788_win8x64/nv_dispi.inf

Thread for r337 337.88, where that inf is hosted:
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/30960-v33788-windows-8-64bit-nvidia-mobile-oem/

Parent thread for r337, where new drivers like 337.90 - etc - will show up
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/192-geforce-r337-series/

Parent thread, where you can find other driver families, newer and older.
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/123-nvidia-video-drivers-and-tools/

On your laptop you will need to look at the Device manager to get the GTX card ID, and then search for it in the nv_dispi.inf file to see if support is there.

Example using my 780m. First use Device Manager to get the Hardware ID for the specific card in your laptop.

Then look at the most up to date driver/inf file support in the GTX driver family thread on laptopvideo2go, using 337.80 as the example.

Then you download the driver hosted there, not sure it includes the inf file, if not download both and put them together to install :)

Give it a try if your Hardware ID is in the inf file (make sure there is a windows8/8.1 entry, it doesn't have to be mobile, as you can see the card ID in the G750JH is classified as a desktop.

If the hardware ID isn't in the inf file, you can duplicate another ID, you could use the 780m as an example - find each instance, duplicate the line, and change the new line to have your hardware ID. Replace the downloaded / expanded drvier inf file with your modded one, and try an install :)

It isn't difficult, but it can be frustrating if it doesn't work, you have to be patient for new drivers to get supported, but usually it doesn't take long.

There may be other changes to make - do some more research - I haven't done it for a while myself, so please come back and give us the step by step how to do it today :)

DWJorgeB
06-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Unknown if Nvidia will eventually support the G56JR, but I would be surprised if it isn't, every other Asus I have seen eventually gets support - anyone's experience different? - any laptop GTX cards still not supported?

well my G46VW is supported, thats why I was surprised that my friend's isnt... We'll try that inf trick, we're not afraid of Window's hell :p

Kwikalot
06-10-2014, 09:22 PM
well my G46VW is supported, thats why I was surprised that my friend's isnt... We'll try that inf trick, we're not afraid of Window's hell :p

Hey,

My sister recently bought G56JR and I'm facing the same problem with drivers for GF GTX 760M. It seems that only drivers from Asus site are working and they are quite out of date. I'm a little bit afraid to mess with config files, so if You'll do it, please let me know how it went :)

At first I thought that this can be a bug in new drivers (337.88), but it turns out, that even older versions have the same problem and cannot detect 760M graphic card.

rathaROG
06-11-2014, 03:56 AM
I've just bought G56JR and I can't update GTX 760M driver as well... I'd rather wait till ASUS releases the next update because now I'm not gonna play any games this month. :p

RyanS
06-11-2014, 06:40 PM
I also own this notebook, bought earlier in May and play all my games just fine on it. Basically most people will never even notice the differences in older games that the new drivers will make and for me these marginal fps increases is a no-brainer compared to the alternative of an unstable system. Just saying. :)

DWJorgeB
06-12-2014, 01:44 AM
I also own this notebook, bought earlier in May and play all my games just fine on it. Basically most people will never even notice the differences in older games that the new drivers will make and for me these marginal fps increases is a no-brainer compared to the alternative of an unstable system. Just saying. :)

yeah, but on games like Watch Dogs, the performance improvement is something like 50%

xdon82
07-02-2014, 07:00 AM
installed newest nvidia drivers [inf modified]. FPS increased at least by 5 FPS [+/i] in all games. amazing. How to force nvidia / asus to make the new drivers also for gtx 760M in g56jr ?

In Formula One 2013 there is benchmark.
on asus nvidia drivers [only available] min FPS: 44, avg FPS: 52
on newest nvidia drivers - min FPS: 52, avg FPS: 59

tested at Full HD, Ultra details

so now I'm installing Bettlefield 4

ONE IMPORTANT THING. When I uninstalled POWER4GEAR [or something like that] the FPS increased already on older drivers!!!! P4G has some critical bugs

if you want I can put a link to inf file for g56jr - just let me know [ I only changed part of the ID SUBSYS for the GTX 760M which was already in the list in the file - which seems reasonable] However I wonder why this GPU has another ID - some changes in the GPU ?????

nvidia ver: 337.88

>>>>> the inf file for GTX 760M in G56Jr is: nvami.inf <<<<<
originally in the file: NVIDIA_DEV.11E3.14AD.1043
modified to: NVIDIA_DEV.11E3.22CA.1043

Twiggy
07-02-2014, 07:29 AM
You don't need the INF edits if you're willing to go beta right now - the latest NVIDIA beta drivers should install without modification. This should be a much easier way to start having the latest and greatest. (You might want to restart your PC after installing it so that everything works properly, even though it's not required.)

hmscott
07-02-2014, 07:32 AM
You don't need the INF edits if you're willing to go beta right now - the latest NVIDIA beta drivers should install without modification. This should be a much easier way to start having the latest and greatest. (You might want to restart your PC after installing it so that everything works properly, even though it's not required.)

Twiggy, are you reporting that you were able to install 340.43 BETA on a G56JR, and it works?

"should be" and verified tested as working by you personally are 2 different things, before all reports up to now are that there were no Nvidia Drivers from Nvidia that would install on the G56JR.

Twiggy
07-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Twiggy, are you reporting that you were able to install 340.43 BETA on a G56JR, and it works?

"should be" and verified tested as working by you personally are 2 different things, before all reports up to now are that there were no Nvidia Drivers from Nvidia that would install on the G56JR.

I've actually installed it and have it working on my G56JR. In Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 340.43 (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/340.43/340.43-win8-win7-notebook-release-notes.pdf), one part stands out (I always read release notes of new drivers before installing):

Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows 8.1 Fixed Issues
[Notebook][GeForce GTX 760M]: Verde notebook driver support needed for Asus: G56JR notebook. [1509458]

Seeing as this is officially in the release notes, I'd suppose that it applies to any G56JR out there.

hmscott
07-02-2014, 01:42 PM
I've actually installed it and have it working on my G56JR. In Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 340.43 (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/340.43/340.43-win8-win7-notebook-release-notes.pdf), one part stands out (I always read release notes of new drivers before installing):
Seeing as this is officially in the release notes, I'd suppose that it applies to any G56JR out there.

Twiggy, great news, you might want to start a new top level thread, announcing that 340.43 supports the G56JR :)