PDA

View Full Version : The Infamous FN+F9 Refuses to Function Properly

knight1fox3
06-11-2014, 12:55 AM
<sigh> well the title pretty much says it all. Decided to post here because I've tried numerous remedies reading various threads. So far I can't get FN+F9 to work properly. All other FN+ keys seem to work fine except the touchpad toggle. I read through this entire thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27672-fn-f9-not-working-everything-else-does./page5

I tried the suggestions there but to no avail. I also downloaded/installed the latest ATK package along with the Elan driver. A bit of history, I have the G750JX model that came pre-installed with Win8.0. I had issues trying to upgrade to 8.1 so I started with a fresh install and updated to 8.1 that way. I really don't have much else installed at this point aside from all the required device drivers. I'm looking for any tips/suggestions that might help solve the issue. This was another interesting article with a few suggestions but again, did not work for my setup.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/the-fn-f9-key-to-disable-touchpad-does-not-work-on/346481c9-b7a5-4f3e-86b3-4d1c5e51fa69

Thanks in advance!

MrRuckus
06-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Do all of the other function/F* keys work? If they do, that's pretty strange.

You could always try the drivers for the G750JH? I just checked and it looks like both the JX and the JH use a Elantech Touchpad. It looks like it just uses an older version? I believe both laptops use the same touchpad.

G750JH uses version 11.5.9.1 - Dated 5-31-2013
G570JX uses version 11.5.12.1 - Dated 12-17-2013

The JH looks to have most of its drivers under 8.0, while the JX has them under 8.1. While those touchpad drivers are listed under Win 8.0 for the JH, I use them in Win 8.1 Pro without any trouble. I use that toggle all the time. I would give the old drivers a shot?

Older drivers are under G750JH Win 8.0 here:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JH&p=3&s=521

knight1fox3
06-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Do all of the other function/F* keys work? If they do, that's pretty strange.

You could always try the drivers for the G750JH? I just checked and it looks like both the JX and the JH use a Elantech Touchpad. It looks like it just uses an older version? I believe both laptops use the same touchpad.

G750JH uses version 11.5.9.1 - Dated 5-31-2013
G570JX uses version 11.5.12.1 - Dated 12-17-2013

The JH looks to have most of its drivers under 8.0, while the JX has them under 8.1. While those touchpad drivers are listed under Win 8.0 for the JH, I use them in Win 8.1 Pro without any trouble. I use that toggle all the time. I would give the old drivers a shot?

Older drivers are under G750JH Win 8.0 here:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JH&p=3&s=521

Thanks for the reply Ruckus. I will certainly give that a shot. What about the ATK package? Is that needed to for the toggle to function properly? Presently I don't have any ATK or Elan drivers installed because I figured I'd be testing various versions out.

MrRuckus
06-11-2014, 10:27 PM
I would try your ATK with the JH touchpad drivers. I dont think the ATK is different in the laptops hardware wise, so it may help to try the older version ATK with the older Elan drivers.

Do your other Function keys work, only the Touchpad toggle not working? In that case I would try to keep your current ATK version. If not, maybe try the JH ATK.

knight1fox3
06-12-2014, 02:07 AM
That's the part that's so odd and also what I read in a few other threads. All other function keys work except F9 for whatever reason. I checked your link and selected Win8.0. Looking at the version of the Elan driver, unfortunately I've already tried that version and it didn't work. After I tried the latest and greatest from ASUS.com, I uninstalled ATK and the Elan driver and then re-installed from my original driver disk. Which had the same version (V11.5.9.1) as what was listed for the JH model. To keep things straight, here are the versions I've tried to date with no success:

Touchpad_Elantech_Win8_64_VER11591.zip
Touchpad_Elantech_Win81_64_VER115121.zip

ATKPackage_Win8_64_VER100030.zip
ATKPackage_Win81_64_VER100031.zip

This isn't a huge deal just more principle at this point. Frustrating that something so simple just doesn't work when other functions do. Perhaps I'm missing some other driver that is needed? Some other threads mentioned installing the latest NVidia video drivers as well. But I don't see how that would affect the operation of the touchpad in conjunction with the F9 toggle. I'll keep searching. Thanks for the feedback thus far. Any other thoughts?

knight1fox3
06-12-2014, 02:12 AM
What do think about the suggestions listed here starting with post #7?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46548-F9-FN-doesn-t-work-how-can-I-turn-off-my-touch-pad&p=395762&viewfull=1#post395762

Does the "disable touchpad when USB mouse is plugged in" option have to be checked? How is your software configured?

Is there any setting in the BIOS (though I doubt it) that would prevent the touchpad from being disabled?

hmscott
06-12-2014, 04:26 AM
What do think about the suggestions listed here starting with post #7?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46548-F9-FN-doesn-t-work-how-can-I-turn-off-my-touch-pad&p=395762&viewfull=1#post395762

Does the "disable touchpad when USB mouse is plugged in" option have to be checked? How is your software configured?

Is there any setting in the BIOS (though I doubt it) that would prevent the touchpad from being disabled?

There is a setting to disable/enable the "Internal pointing device" in the BIOS Advanced Tab.

knight1fox3
06-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Oh I remember that setting. However, that would permanently disable it rendering the F9 toggle inoperable I believe. Not quite what I was aiming for, ha ha.

hmscott
06-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Oh I remember that setting. However, that would permanently disable it rendering the F9 toggle inoperable I believe. Not quite what I was aiming for, ha ha.

knight1fox3, it looks like an update somehow removes or disables the Asus Smart Gesture systray app and that also disables Fn+F9, check for the solution details and follow up, Zacharyp1 has Fn+F9 again :)

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48255-My-FN-F9-just-stopped-working&p=409105&viewfull=1#post409105

knight1fox3
06-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestion hmscott. I've tried installing two different versions of Smart Gesture but neither has allowed the Fn+F9 combo to work (note: all other functions work fine). I tried both Win8_64_VER11591 and Win81_64_VER115121 to no avail. Is there a some setting within Windows (i.e. control panel?) like a check box or something that would "allow this device to be disabled"? I'm just throwing ideas out at this point since it's a very strange problem. When I do hit Fn+F9, I see the busy icon for an instant so I assume the command is registering with Windows, but something is preventing the actual disabling of it. Before I upgraded to 8.1 (stock Win8.0 install), when I would hit Fn+F9, a small red circle with a line through it would appear on top of the touchpad icon. But now nothing seems to happen to the icon at all.

hmscott
06-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion hmscott. I've tried installing two different versions of Smart Gesture but neither has allowed the Fn+F9 combo to work (note: all other functions work fine). I tried both Win8_64_VER11591 and Win81_64_VER115121 to no avail. Is there a some setting within Windows (i.e. control panel?) like a check box or something that would "allow this device to be disabled"? I'm just throwing ideas out at this point since it's a very strange problem. When I do hit Fn+F9, I see the busy icon for an instant so I assume the command is registering with Windows, but something is preventing the actual disabling of it. Before I upgraded to 8.1 (stock Win8.0 install), when I would hit Fn+F9, a small red circle with a line through it would appear on top of the touchpad icon. But now nothing seems to happen to the icon at all.

knight1fox3, is there an uninstall function with the installer... haven't looked. I didn't see an entry in Programs and Features to uninstall... I was going to suggest uninstalling, rebooting, installing, rebooting and see if that fixes it - maybe find the install point and make sure everything including settings is uninstalled before reinstalling.

You could also look at Manage => Event Viewer => Windows logs => System / Application logs, so see if there are any errors or clues there.

knight1fox3
06-13-2014, 02:44 PM
knight1fox3, is there an uninstall function with the installer... haven't looked. I didn't see an entry in Programs and Features to uninstall... I was going to suggest uninstalling, rebooting, installing, rebooting and see if that fixes it - maybe find the install point and make sure everything including settings is uninstalled before reinstalling.

You could also look at Manage => Event Viewer => Windows logs => System / Application logs, so see if there are any errors or clues there.
While trying the different versions mentioned above, I did first uninstall/reboot as directed by the EXE. Then I would run the installer and also reboot as directed. I'll give it another shot and also will check the event viewer. What I still don't get, this is fresh Windows install. There couldn't possible be any conflicts. So it has to be a driver mismatch then, yes?

hmscott
06-14-2014, 02:40 AM
While trying the different versions mentioned above, I did first uninstall/reboot as directed by the EXE. Then I would run the installer and also reboot as directed. I'll give it another shot and also will check the event viewer. What I still don't get, this is fresh Windows install. There couldn't possible be any conflicts. So it has to be a driver mismatch then, yes?

If this is a fresh Windows install, a Microsoft driver may have been found "close enough" to the driver requirement, and was substituted, but that is keeping the Asus driver from installing, or installing correctly, which was found for the touchpad driver PovilasP by here:

Disabling g750jm touch pad - note I think he meant Synaptic's driver, not Symantec :)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47891-Disabling-g750jm-touch-pad&p=409384&viewfull=1#post409384

knight1fox3
06-18-2014, 02:15 AM
Success! Thanks for the suggestion hmscott. I just assumed the standard Windows driver would be over-written by the Elantech driver/software. Following the link you provided, I uninstalled the Synaptics driver and rebooted. The system installed a Microsoft PS/2 Mouse then. So I installed the latest Win8.1 Elantech driver and rebooted. Still no Fn+F9. Then I installed the latest Win8.1 ATK package and rebooted. Finally Fn+F9 was functional! Hopefully these results can aid anyone else having similar issues. Thanks again all!