PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable Temperature Ranges

Puterguru
06-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Is there an established "acceptable temperature range" for these laptops? I realize people's conditions are very different. Ambient temps, gaming temps, browsing temps, idle temps. Certainly though there is a range that just seems too high? If so what is it? I think the only way to make some comparisons would be for everyone to post some of their temps. That would at least give a better idea.

Example:
Room temp 75 - When I woke up the laptop from idle, CPU temp was 39C and GPU 37C

Browsing the Internet - CPU bounced from 44C to 51C. I believe GPU was the same.

Playing Mass Effect, all settings on high - 71C and 55C

Playing Alan Wake, all settings on high - 60C and 55C

Thoughts? Your temps?

Thanks.

dblkk
06-11-2014, 08:47 PM
If your talking g750?

Your temps are very good. I have js model, and idle 40c, gaming 55-80c. rendering 90-93c.

The i7 will thermally throttle at 100c.

If your talking gpu, that's still about right. my 870m idle 40-45c, gaming 60-80c. Highest ive seen was around 85c and still fine and that was just once.

sasuke256
06-11-2014, 08:48 PM
perfect :)

Torpedo499
06-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Yeah, very nice temperatures. If I may, what clock rate is your CPU while you are browsing the internet?

Puterguru
06-12-2014, 01:32 AM
Thanks everyone. Why not post your temps as well so we can get a norm?

Yeah, very nice temperatures. If I may, what clock rate is your CPU while you are browsing the internet?

Whatever the default is. I do not overclock. I did add a Cooler Master NotePal U3/ and a small fan to help expedite getting the exhaust out of the back.

hmscott
06-12-2014, 04:32 AM
Thanks everyone. Why not post your temps as well so we can get a norm?

Whatever the default is. I do not overclock. I did add a Cooler Master NotePal U3/ and a small fan to help expedite getting the exhaust out of the back.

Puterguru, on an earlier laptop I used an exhaust assist fan like this. It clips to the exhaust vents and pulls hot air out of the laptop/video card.

ETS 3rd Gen powerful laptop exhaust fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCx3pKCoTZ8

ebay listings for fan
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Black-ETS-Exhaust-Type-Notebook-Laptop-Air-Cooler-Radiator-Cooling-Fan-/400560773427

I haven't tried this one, but the earlier model I used reduced temps, varying - under load it helped enough to run it.

Torpedo499
06-12-2014, 02:44 PM
I did add a Cooler Master NotePal U3/ and a small fan to help expedite getting the exhaust out of the back.

Sounds very cool! Is the Notepal a sturdy cooler? and does the laptop hang off the sides at all?

Thanks!

Puterguru
06-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Sounds very cool! Is the Notepal a sturdy cooler? and does the laptop hang off the sides at all?

Thanks!
Thanks! Seems very sturdy to me although I don't touch it. I use my laptop as more of a desktop replacement.

I found a cart for sale in my local classifieds. Picked it up for $40.

Put the laptop on the Cooler Master. It fits perfectly!

Grabbed a cheap air filter from Walmart. It was $5 and still allows for airflow

And here is the finished package. The highest temp that I have seen so far is 72 while heavy gaming.

hmscott
06-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Puterguru, nice setup :)

The NotePal U3 fans are moveable? Did you focus them on the vent intake locations under the G750 to push air into the G750?

Angling the G750 screen toward your seating position, would direct the hot exhaust at an angle hitting the wall bouncing it to the left and away from the laptop.

The large vortex fan on your desk won't do much facing like that, you could pull the laptop stand forward about 6-8 inches to get the laptop exhaust vents away from contact with the wall, and aim the vortex fan across the exhaust vents angling back so as to assist the exit of hot air - make sure you don't create turbulence there that would create a high pressure area making it harder for the exhaust vents to push out hot air.

You really shouldn't need that much cooling effort to keep the G750 cool...try the angling away from the wall and toward you with the vortex fan and cooling pad fans off, and compare the temps. Your laptop temps should be good enough to run 24/7 for years without the extra fans and resulting noise.

Elevating the G750 so the intake and exhaust vents are clear of the resting surface, directing the output of the exhaust fans into open space to allow the hot air to mix with room air instead of feeding back into the G750, are enough to let the G750 cooling do the job. The resulting temps are within acceptable range for 24/7 use for years :)