PDA

View Full Version : G75VW charger and Hard Drive Size GB question

Domination66
06-11-2014, 11:24 PM
So I have a G75VW laptop with windows 8 and when I click on "Computer" it says I have 910 GB of storage. Is that the right amount? OK So about the charger. The huge power brick charger for this computer recently died, the computer had a virus, the battery dies after 60% without a warning and not warning me at 10% and again at 7%, my left and right clicker on my track pad is sticky because of orange juice I accidently spilled :( , and I wanted the vents blown out from dust. So I went to best buy and asked them to fix all these issues because I had a warranty I bought with this computer there 2 years ago. (I know now to never get the warranty. I'm already sick of dealing with Bust Buy.) Anyway I got it back with my computer nice and cleaned up of viruses and everything updated, but my left and right clicker, the battery wasn't fixed, and so I highly doubt that the vents were blown out also. And the charger they sent me was an universal AC Adapter one and was 4X smaller than the AC/DC OEM one that came with it. (Pic below.) And I don't know if It's safe to use or not. The OME one that came with the charger has an input of 100-240V ~ 2.25A 50-60HZ output of 19V and 9.5A. The "New" one is 100-240V~ 1.5A 50-60HZ and output of 19V and 3.42A. Please help me cuz I love this laptop.

elaguni
06-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Hi Dominitor66,

I'm sure some of your questions have been answered else where, but I don't have the link handy so hope this helps:

1. 910GB - I assume your hard drive is 1TB. Quick answer: yes, that's just about the right size. Bit more details: that has to do with how hard drive oem computes/convert GB to TB. To HDD oem, 1,000 GB = 1TB but to Software/ Operating System 1,024KB = 1MB, 1,024MB = 1GB, 1,024GB = 1TB, and so on.

2. OEM chager - Maybe I should get myself one of those when I'm out and about with my G75 :) Is it safe to use? Hard to say, but if anything goes wrong coz of that, forget about claiming warranty from Asus (if you tell them that you used third party charger). I had used an OEM charger before with my old laptop - no issue at all, till I had to change laptop altogether. Your G75 will power on (minimum volts to power a G75 is about 15V) but your battery will charge slower (9.5A vs 3.42A - somebody, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ;) )

cl-Albert
06-12-2014, 04:33 PM
And the charger they sent me was an universal AC Adapter one and was 4X smaller than the AC/DC OEM one that came with it. (Pic below.) And I don't know if It's safe to use or not. The OME one that came with the charger has an input of 100-240V ~ 2.25A 50-60HZ output of 19V and 9.5A. The "New" one is 100-240V~ 1.5A 50-60HZ and output of 19V and 3.42A. Please help me cuz I love this laptop.

Hi Domination66, you received the wrong charger, so try to get the right charger for your notebook to avoid problems.

If you look under your notebook, there should be a label with the power input requirements (in the battery bay for your notebook?) mentioning the 19V, 9.5A input requirement for the 180w adapter which you are already aware of.

The 19V, 3.42A adapter you received is only 65 Watts (if you're interested multiply 19V by 3.42A to get 64.98 Watts which we just call 65W).

You can find G75VW 180w chargers from other places, but if you are in the U.S. or Canada and interested, the ASUS U.S. eStore site lists the G75VW 180w charger which currently shows out-of-stock, so you may need to check back if you're still interested:
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5113

2. OEM chager - Maybe I should get myself one of those when I'm out and about with my G75 :) Is it safe to use? Hard to say, but if anything goes wrong coz of that, forget about claiming warranty from Asus (if you tell them that you used third party charger). I had used an OEM charger before with my old laptop - no issue at all, till I had to change laptop altogether. Your G75 will power on (minimum volts to power a G75 is about 15V) but your battery will charge slower (9.5A vs 3.42A - somebody, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ;) )

I don't too a lot of testing with smaller wattage chargers, but it's not providing all the power that your notebook needs, so would watch out and be concerned of the things below.

1. The smaller charger may not be able to charge the battery especially while the notebook is on and drawing more power. If necessary, you may be able to charge the notebook battery with a smaller charger while the notebook is turned off (and only running the notebook on battery power when it's turned on?).

2. The notebook may power-off unexpectedly while plugged in to the smaller charger.

3. The smaller charger may get very hot and could even potentially be a fire hazard as a worst case, but not really sure how likely this is. The smaller charger may not last as long though if you keep using it in this way that it wasn't designed for.