PDA

View Full Version : G73jh Win7 Bootable USB drive...?

brettt777
06-13-2014, 07:06 PM
I have installed larger HDD's in my G73jh and in trying to reload Windows 7, I am trying to use a USB drive but I can't get the machine to boot from it. I used the Win7 USB/DVD download tool to load the .iso onto the USB drive so as far as I know it should work. I seem to remember getting this to work once before but I don't remember exactly what I did, and I got it to boot off my win7 DVD and start the installation but the disk was corrupt so it didn't finish. So... what do I need to do to make that machine boot off the USB drive?

billyray520
06-14-2014, 12:27 AM
I have some USB linux distros with persistent images that I run in my G73. What I do to boot them is *F2* into setup, then go to save/exit tab and you'll see the boot list. Just select your USB stick and it'll start bootin' ;)

brettt777
06-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Okay that's a good procedure to know, but apparently there is something wrong with my bootable USB drive because even that way it won't boot up to the Win7 install. I'll remake the bootable drive and try it again.

numanuk
06-16-2014, 01:45 PM
windows 7 needs a valid bootsector on the drive.

I usually just copy the contents of the iso onto the usb device then run bootsect its on the windows 7 iso under the folder boot.

run as admin. 'bootsect /nt60 <usbpendriveletter>:' device is now bootable.

try with the /mbr flag if that still doesnt yield results.