PDA

View Full Version : G750jh-db71 - Can't update the BIOS

ShagraX
06-14-2014, 05:34 AM
When I try to update my bios via either of winflash or easy flash utility, it goes to a blue screen where it displays the bios specs of the bios file that I want to update my bios to. However, even though I wait like 5-10 minutes, there is no installation bar or anything, just a plain blue screen with some writings on the top. Normally, there should have been an installation bar below those writings...

What am I doing wrong? I put my bios file into a fat32 usb stick and everything, and I'm sure that my bios version is right.

hmscott
06-14-2014, 11:46 PM
When I try to update my bios via either of winflash or easy flash utility, it goes to a blue screen where it displays the bios specs of the bios file that I want to update my bios to. However, even though I wait like 5-10 minutes, there is no installation bar or anything, just a plain blue screen with some writings on the top. Normally, there should have been an installation bar below those writings...

What am I doing wrong? I put my bios file into a fat32 usb stick and everything, and I'm sure that my bios version is right.

If you unpacked the bios file from the zip package, and the file is the correct one for your laptop, and select it - you should have the option to update it, you need to take action to confirm the update.

Take a photo of what you see and post it here so we can help. You are probably missing something in the interface and not taking an action needed to make the update. A couple of shots of the bios and how you got there would help too.

ShagraX
06-14-2014, 11:51 PM
What kind of confirmation? After I click on the bios file in easy flash utility, a window opens and I choose yes option then it goes to a blue screen but there is no installation bar.... And nothing happens. After 10-15 minutes I just shut down my computer ..

hmscott
06-15-2014, 12:04 AM
What kind of confirmation? After I click on the bios file in easy flash utility, a window opens and I choose yes option then it goes to a blue screen but there is no installation bar.... And nothing happens. After 10-15 minutes I just shut down my computer ..

I can't see what you are seeing, that is why I asked for a photo(s)...to let us know what you are doing and seeing. Your verbal description isn't helping. From it I have to assume the BIOS file you are trying to load is corrupted, or the flash drive is problematic.

If you are using the same BIOS file on the flash drive, and for Winflash, then it is the BIOS file that is causing the problem - re-download and unpack again, and try again. Use a different download option at the Asus site - Global/vs other download options.

And, then try Winflash again, it doesn't do the flash under Windows, it only schedules the BIOS update to occur at reboot.

ShagraX
06-15-2014, 09:19 AM

I downloaded the file again, but there is only one server, so I downloaded it again from "global". Then I extracted it, then I used a different fat32 usb stick. Then I opened winflash and flashed the new bios, but the above screen is what I am left with after the restart and It doesn't do anything, then, after 5 minutes I just shut down my computer. By the way, while in this blue screen, cpu fan goes bananas...

hmscott
06-15-2014, 09:41 AM

I downloaded the file again, but there is only one server, so I downloaded it again from "global". Then I extracted it, then I used a different fat32 usb stick. Then I opened winflash and flashed the new bios, but the above screen is what I am left with after the restart and It doesn't do anything, then, after 5 minutes I just shut down my computer. By the way, while in this blue screen, cpu fan goes bananas...

What version BIOS version do you have installed on the G750JH?

ShagraX
06-15-2014, 09:52 AM
What version BIOS version do you have installed on the G750JH?

202 Version

hmscott
06-15-2014, 10:03 AM
202 Version

202JHA?

I haven't seen that version before, mine came with 203JHA, and the support page for the G750JH doesn't list 202JHA or 202JH, or even 202

It's possible that upgrading from 202JHA to 203JHA might be something to try.

Then when that is successful upgrade from 203JHA to 204JHA, which worked ok for me.

Here are the BIOS currently listed on the G750JH support site.

BIOS 204
BIOS 203 (G750JHA)
BIOS 205 (G750JH)
BIOS 204 (G750JHA)
BIOS 206 (G750JH)

Notice there are 2 204 versions, one for JH and one for JHA... your BIOS does say 202JHA, or just 202? The first G750JH's didn't have a JHA version, they started without anything but the number... no JH or JHA until the JHA came out.

If your BIOS only says 202, and doesn't say JHA, then try upgrading to 206JH...

ShagraX
06-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Mine is 202 JHA, I also tried to upgrade to 203 JHA, but I'll give it another try now ...

hmscott
06-15-2014, 10:16 AM
Mine is 202 JHA, I also tried to upgrade to 203 JHA, but I'll give it another try now ...

The lock on the BIOS screen isn't good, it is refusing to use that BIOS... either it is corrupt or it is the wrong series, or perhaps there is a hardware problem. Or something I haven't seen before :)

Do you have the admin password set? I haven't set it myself in the BIOS so I don't know what it looks like to get locked out - I would have assumed it would prompt for the admin password.

If you can't update the BIOS, file a Technical Inquiry with Asus, along with a nice description of the problem and attach a zip file with the screenshot(s).

You can set up a login here, register your laptop, and file the Technical Inquiry
http://vip.asus.com

ShagraX
06-15-2014, 01:01 PM
I haven't set admin password. Bios file is neither corrupt nor incompatible with my computer. I don't know if there is a hardware problem, but there doesn't seem to be something wrong on appearence.
BTW, I tried 203jha and it didn't work either.

godsmack82
12-21-2014, 09:20 AM
I haven't set admin password. Bios file is neither corrupt nor incompatible with my computer. I don't know if there is a hardware problem, but there doesn't seem to be something wrong on appearence.
BTW, I tried 203jha and it didn't work either.

ı have same computer and ı can not update bios version like this friend..

hmscott
12-21-2014, 11:44 AM
ı have same computer and ı can not update bios version like this friend..

godsmack82, there are 2 models of G750JH, the JH and the JHA, only 2 :)

If the JHA BIOS doesn't work, then use the JH BIOS. The installer won't install if it is the wrong motherboard.

You can tell which you have by looking at the CPU-Z Mainboard tab and it will be listed there, I have the JHA version:

CPU-Z download, I get the ROG themed version
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

The BIOS installer also won't install the same version or older, it needs to be a newer - higher version number BIOS.

You also need to unpack the .zip file to get the BIOS file out and usable.

Give it a look and try again, and please come back and let us know if it works this time :)

godsmack82
12-21-2014, 03:32 PM
godsmack82, there are 2 models of G750JH, the JH and the JHA, only 2 :)

If the JHA BIOS doesn't work, then use the JH BIOS. The installer won't install if it is the wrong motherboard.

You can tell which you have by looking at the CPU-Z Mainboard tab and it will be listed there, I have the JHA version:

CPU-Z download, I get the ROG themed version
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

The BIOS installer also won't install the same version or older, it needs to be a newer - higher version number BIOS.

You also need to unpack the .zip file to get the BIOS file out and usable.

Give it a look and try again, and please come back and let us know if it works this time :)

Thanks for your reply. I ınstall cpu-z programme. Motherboard model g750jha. I download newer version of g750jha and extract ıt to usb. My current bios version g750jha-202 i download g750jha-204 and unpacked the zip file. i can see newer version bios when i select update bios but just show blue screen appears nothing happened like other computer. same screen .

godsmack82
12-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Should I change any setting for bios update in bios setting page? For example disable fast boot and secure boot control?

hmscott
12-21-2014, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your reply. I ınstall cpu-z programme. Motherboard model g750jha. I download newer version of g750jha and extract ıt to usb. My current bios version g750jha-202 i download g750jha-204 and unpacked the zip file. i can see newer version bios when i select update bios but just show blue screen appears nothing happened like other computer. same screen .

Should I change any setting for bios update in bios setting page? For example disable fast boot and secure boot control?

godsmack82, if you are getting a BSOD when using Winflash, uninstall it and update it to a newer version, or don't use it :)

Put the new BIOS file on the root level of your C drive, or on a USB flash drive, and use the BIOS Flash installer to install.

That should work :)

godsmack82
12-21-2014, 11:03 PM
I tried all Bios versions from asus g750jh Update Page but result same.

hmscott
12-21-2014, 11:13 PM
I tried all Bios versions from asus g750jh Update Page but result same.

godsmack82, you tried with Winflash and from inside the BIOS methods?

If so, you need to contact Asus and get support from them.

https://vip.asus.com <= create login, register laptop, file Technical Inquiry.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

godsmack82
12-22-2014, 06:14 AM
I think İt is chronic problem in this model. Becouse i saw few same problem in this forum. I will contact them. Thank you for your assistance.

godsmack82
12-22-2014, 06:28 AM
I think İt is chronic problem in this model. Becouse i saw few same problem in this forum. I will contact them. Thank you for your assistance.

hmscott
12-22-2014, 12:37 PM

godsmack82, sorry to hear it isn't working for you. I have done it 2x on my G750JH, and several more times on my G750JW/JX, so it is possible.

Let Asus know what is wrong, they might have a work around, or may need to RMA your laptop for the fix.

Please come back and let us know what the fix was to get it working.

godsmack82
12-22-2014, 06:39 PM
godsmack82, sorry to hear it isn't working for you. I have done it 2x on my G750JH, and several more times on my G750JW/JX, so it is possible.

Let Asus know what is wrong, they might have a work around, or may need to RMA your laptop for the fix.

Please come back and let us know what the fix was to get it working.

Could you explain how am i install it? I tried several times all version g750jh / g750jha with asus bios flashtool and without it.

hmscott
12-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Could you explain how am i install it? I tried several times all version g750jh / g750jha with asus bios flashtool and without it.

godsmack82, these videos are close enough of descriptions to work for your G750JH. If you don't like these, search on youtube, there are many more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ietCgRXV1E8 ==> don't disable CSM or Secure boot, that isn't part of a BIOS update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykXrik89TpI

Those are both using the BIOS to do the flashing, with the new BIOS file on a USB flash drive. Using Windows to go into UEFI settings (BIOS), or hitting F2 on boot to get into BIOS.

If you run into problems, take a photo so we know what you are seeing, so far you aren't explaining what is going on - it is hard to help you without knowing what you are doing and how it is failing. Photo's help a great deal.

This isn't difficult, don't over think it, follow the directions - your BIOS page/lines might be a bit different, but it should be common sense to figure it out.

Please let us know how it works out for you.

hmscott
12-22-2014, 07:12 PM
godsmack82, the G750JH manual also has a couple of pages on how to update the BIOS, you can download the G750JH manual in your favorite language from the G750JH support site:

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JH/HelpDesk_Download/

Here are the pages in English:

Between the videos and the manual, read over them and get a good idea before starting on how to proceed, maybe make a checklist / steps list before starting, and then you are ready to do it right the first time.

Doing the "Restore Defaults" step after updating is important, as it will clear out the BIOS settings area so you start with a clean / non-corrupt template for the new BIOS settings. You may need to go into the BIOS a 3rd time (1st is update BIOS, 2nd is Set Defaults) so that you can set the options you want as they were before - like VM settings, or other options. Don't worry, the RAID settings will default ok to support your 2 x 128GB SSD's unchanged.

godsmack82
12-23-2014, 07:13 AM
godsmack82, the G750JH manual also has a couple of pages on how to update the BIOS, you can download the G750JH manual in your favorite language from the G750JH support site:

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JH/HelpDesk_Download/

Here are the pages in English:

Between the videos and the manual, read over them and get a good idea before starting on how to proceed, maybe make a checklist / steps list before starting, and then you are ready to do it right the first time.

Doing the "Restore Defaults" step after updating is important, as it will clear out the BIOS settings area so you start with a clean / non-corrupt template for the new BIOS settings. You may need to go into the BIOS a 3rd time (1st is update BIOS, 2nd is Set Defaults) so that you can set the options you want as they were before - like VM settings, or other options. Don't worry, the RAID settings will default ok to support your 2 x 128GB SSD's unchanged.
My problem like this :
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45623-Asus-G750jha-bios-Update-problem

godsmack82
12-23-2014, 07:14 AM
My problem like this :

I watched them already thank you.

hmscott
12-23-2014, 08:05 AM
My problem like this :

godsmack82, PM cl-albert - he responded to that thread:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45623-Asus-G750jha-bios-Update-problem&p=389068&viewfull=1#post389068

and cl-albert works for Asus, point out that thread and that you have the same problem, cl-Albert should be able to help you :)