PDA

View Full Version : G750JS - buzz in headphones

jetrian
06-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Hello, I have a small problem.
When I use the headphones, i hear a light buzz going on, a kind of whitenoise. This whitenoise stops after a while sounds are not used in the computer, or if I lower the mixer volume completely to 0. Does any of you have the same issue?
I do not hear any whitenoise coming from the pc speakers though, and the headphones do not make that noise on any other machine.

BIOHAZARD9519
06-14-2014, 05:59 PM
It's a common issue across all the G750s. I believe it's a side effect of the headphone amplifier.

hmscott
06-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Hello, I have a small problem.
When I use the headphones, i hear a light buzz going on, a kind of whitenoise. This whitenoise stops after a while sounds are not used in the computer, or if I lower the mixer volume completely to 0. Does any of you have the same issue?
I do not hear any whitenoise coming from the pc speakers though, and the headphones do not make that noise on any other machine.

It's a common issue across all the G750s. I believe it's a side effect of the headphone amplifier.

Guys, the headphone amp in the G750 is noisy with low impedance headphones. Like Apple earbuds, or anything under 80ohms impedance - some people seem ok with their 40ohm headphones, others not so much.

Over 80ohms up through 250ohm - 300ohm headphones seem like the sweet spot. I haven't heard of any 600ohm reports, but they should be ok - if a little harder to drive.

There have been some examples of bad shielding caused by a manufacturing defect, that even with high impedance headphones there is still noise, so if you have one of those, return it or send it in for RMA. Note that they guys with one of those needed to get one from another vendor, as the defect seems to be all in a production batch so all the laptops in a shipment had that problem.

Here is a headphone review thread from a while back. You can also do a forum search for headphone impedance to get more threads.

What headphones do you use with your g750?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35545-What-headphones-do-you-use-with-your-g750&p=291697&viewfull=1#post291697

There used to be a problem on AC with the Realtek driver enabling power save mode during idle times, which causes crackling. You can check your registry for the proper settings. Default now should be to disable power save on AC, but have power save mode ON on battery.

Fix for Realtek sound popping and/or high pitched tone/squeal
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/587521-fix-realtek-sound-popping-high-pitched-tone-squeal.html

The links for the .reg files are not working, and the regedit image is also not showing, but you don't need them, just check the registry settings in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtek\RAVCpl64\PowerM gnt

The settings there are as follows:

DelayTime - time in seconds of inactivity which triggers powering down the sound chipset. Default is 10.

** Enabled - enables the power management. Default is 0. Set to 1 to disable and always prevent these noises.

OnlyBattery - If power management is enabled, setting this to 1 will disable power management when the laptop is plugged in. The popping noises will only be heard when the laptop is on battery power, but this helps conserve power so the battery lasts longer.

** I have power management disabled at all times, AC and Battery.

jetrian
06-15-2014, 04:53 PM
No luck :/ It still happens.. the hiss is really destroying my experience. :(

Sgt_LazyBear
06-15-2014, 05:54 PM
I have the same problem with the rog g10ac...
Bought it yesterday, and i must say its a very beasty machine.

But the buzzing is to load, especially on high demanding games

If anybody finds a solution, pls tell me or ill be returning it :'(

jetrian
06-15-2014, 07:35 PM
I wonder if buying a small usb amp will fix the issue

hmscott
06-15-2014, 11:16 PM
I wonder if buying a small usb amp will fix the issue

jetrian, the G750 is a portable device, so you can take it with you headphone shopping, and you can find a pair that is a better impedance match with the G750 audio amp.

That headphone jack is also a Toslink Optical port, so you can feed a receiver that takes Toslink, and plug your headphones into the receiver. I use Sennheiser RS-220's and plug the Toslink output of the G750 into the RS-220 base, and it is hiss and noise free.

I also use Bluetooth headphones, and they have no hiss.

My Sony MDR-XB500's sound great fed from the headphones jack, and their impedance is 40 ohms.

What make/model of headphones are you trying to use that exhibit hiss?

I haven't tried USB headphones, but be careful, some have complained about Windows 8.1 not working with their headphones, search for it on the forum.

Check out that headphones thread link for some reviews.