PDA

View Full Version : Hello, upgrading G750JW RAM and looking for more information

Stillwithyou
06-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Good morning all,

I would like to upgrade the RAM on my Asus Rog G750JW and I am looking for more informations that could help me.
The official website just says this: : DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM, up to 32 Gb. and I know the ram should have a lower electric consumption than 1.5v (1.3 to be more precise)

I search for the maximum frequence and some user's expériences in the same case as mine.

Thank you for any help and have a great day !

Stillwithou.

MeanMachine
06-15-2014, 02:12 PM
I only use Corsair for quality and RMA reliability.
http://www.corsair.com/en/memory/laptop-memory?memorytype=DDR3L|

hmscott
06-15-2014, 02:16 PM
I only use Corsair for quality and RMA reliability.
http://www.corsair.com/en/memory/laptop-memory?memorytype=DDR3L|

MeanMachine, these aren't good for the G750/G56/G550, as these Corsair say DDR3L, but if you look at the specs their SPD is set to 1.5v, and only say "Tested at 1.35v".

When they get installed in the G750 they run at 1.5v, not 1.35v, which isn't good for the Haswell :)

If you are going to replace the existing memory, and don't need to worry about compatibility, you can put in any real 1.35v/1.28v DDRL3 memory.

If you want to coexist with the Asus installed memory, it is best to use CPU-Z, hwinfo64, or another tool to read the Make/model of what is installed, and then google the exact model to find a supplier of more of the same.

If you want to bump up from the 4GB SODIMM's installed, then use the 4GB model to find the 8GB match in the same family for compatibility.

Stillwithyou, if you post the make/model we can help you look up the matching parts :)

MeanMachine
06-15-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your input.hmscott, :)
I see your point,but what would the consequence of the higher voltage be? Damage to the CPU or What? and can not the voltage be set to 1.35v in the Bios.
Also for the OP, what would you recommend?.
There seems to be some conjecture on other Forums regarding this issue.
For my own benefit I'll check with Corsair and see what they say.

Ah I see you edited, good advice

Darnassus
06-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Don't forget, 'performance ram' is a gimmick ;c

Just get the ram that has the clocks you need, and the voltage. 1.35volts

Darnassus
06-15-2014, 03:17 PM
I see your point,but what would the consequence of the higher voltage be? Damage to the CPU or What? and can not the voltage be set to 1.35v in the Bios.

.. the Haswell begins to get a little toasty. ;3

hmscott
06-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required!&p=272284&viewfull=1#post272284

It's a long thread, but it should bring you up to speed.

Although Marshall mentions 1.35v memory as being shipped in G750's, we have mostly seen 1.28v DDR3L memory, and getting the same make/model matches up the same 1.28v memory, instead of trying to find compatible 1.35v memory.

There is no advantage to putting in different memory than was shipped with the G750, it already has the best lowest wattage 1.28v memory available.