PDA

View Full Version : G750 JS - CPU Overheating, What Thermal Solution ?

CME64
06-16-2014, 01:47 AM
Hi

I bought this laptop (G750js-DS71) not more than a month ago, and I noticed that the temperature spikes a lot in no time.
I tested a light 3d scene rendering (using all 8 threads at 100% load) and the temperature spiked to around 96 Celsius in less than 10 seconds
That is too dangerous for the CPU, knowing that the Tj max is 100C. The thermal solution is supposed to keep the temperature below the Tj max at all times even when it is running on 100% load especially since the laptop is brand new and aging/heat shouldn't have affected the grease yet.

I started questioning the thermal solution in terms of:

1- Thermal Compound:
The thermal compound that comes installed doesn't seem to be conductive enough ..

2- Fan speed:
could be the problem if they're not fast enough to change speed, but even on max speed the temp was above 90C at 100% load

Questions:
What are the detailed specs of the stock thermal compound ?
Could the compound break even when the laptop is still new ?
Anyone else got the same problem on 100% CPU load ? and what did you try so far ?

additional info:
- I'm not using any tweak tools nor overclocked the gpu/cpu
- The fans are running on auto speed (not fixed)
- on idle state the minimum temp is around 38C
- on gaming state, reaches around 80C

Regards,
CME64

Darnassus
06-16-2014, 05:09 AM
What is your ambient tempurature? Have you overclocked your CPU? Might be a good idea. Makes it run cooler! ;3

What game you playing?

What bench tool you using to put CPU under 100 load? I will replicate and tell you my own score.

Highest history of CPU temp for me is 79*C and GPU 84*C

Idle sounds good, mine is usually 45-50. As of this post 46. Net browsing only.

Thermal GOOO sounds it's just some cheapie from Coolermaster maybe. The G750 series uses cheap parts in it other than the mandatory GPU, CPU.

CME64
06-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Thank you for replying,

Ambient temp: below 28c
As I mentioned I didn't overclock the CPU nor GPU
What games hmm, lots of them, but the highest temp reached was with "Watchdogs"
I didn't use benchmarks, I was rendering a teapot on a plane with plain default materials using 3ds Max's default render engine,
I could limit the threads used by the process to use 1 thread for each core to spread the temp but still, I'll be running on 50% load which is unacceptable
My idle temp is almost the same, but I posted the best record of current 2 days log
I tried Coolermaster's products before (on other laptops) and they were great. I don't think they're using it
I would have paid extra for a better compound to be installed like arctic silver 5 or something, but unfortunately that is not an option as they claim to install a high end compound on ROG series. And I don't intend to void the warranty by installing a new one, at least not too soon ;).

Will you try rendering a teapot with 3ds max ? :P

Regards,
CME64

sasuke256
06-16-2014, 10:15 AM
undervolt the cpu -50mv and enjoy -5C :)

dblkk
06-16-2014, 02:19 PM
I've had 3 Jm's and 2 Js's. All of which easily got to high 80-low 90c. And while rendering get up to 100c and thermally throttle. If you undervolt the cpu, it helps a little. But my JS now, undervolted, during games (in general titanfall borderlands bf4 ect) my cpu temps are still 85c. I guess this is just the new temps with optimus chips. THe last versions had the igpu part of the die cut off, and asus listening to customers who wanted better battery and optimus, then made that the enw way with these last g750's. Higher heat, trade off for 4-5.5 hours of battery, vs the 2.5-3 on last gens fully gpu machines.

Tradeoff I'm willing to make I guess.

But your temps are yes high, from what ive seen 5 times personally, your temps are average. Laptop is fine 100% up to 100c, then itll throttle.

CME64
06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Thank you all for replying,

As far as I know, undervolting electronic components reduces it's performance and could potentially be damaged by that ( when it requires more voltage than it gets)
also this may void the warranty (when the CPU dies) which I could have voided by replacing the thermal grease in the first place, back to square one
I may have that as my before-last resort

Seems that everybody is getting to dangerous heat levels with this series!
I wonder what the architecture designers were thinking when they built it like this ! and yet bragging about it's ultimate cooling solution !
at least if they failed to keep the heat lower than tj max by at least 20% at 100%, why not research a solution to the problem !?
btw the heat will increase over the years (as the grease deteriorates) and that's why I'm concerned since the laptop is still brand new and it reaches dangerous temp levels

Darnassus
06-16-2014, 05:06 PM

As far as I know, undervolting electronic components reduces it's performance and could potentially be damaged by that ( when it requires more voltage than it gets)
also this may void the warranty (when the CPU dies) which I could have voided by replacing the thermal grease in the first place, back to square one
I may have that as my before-last resort

Seems that everybody is getting to dangerous heat levels with this series!
I wonder what the architecture designers were thinking when they built it like this ! and yet bragging about it's ultimate cooling solution !
at least if they failed to keep the heat lower than tj max by at least 20% at 100%, why not research a solution to the problem !?
btw the heat will increase over the years (as the grease deteriorates) and that's why I'm concerned since the laptop is still brand new and it reaches dangerous temp levels

What video driver you on? The latest being 337.88 boosts FPS and performance of Watch Dogs by 75%. I couldn't play that game on my JX at low, now I am playing on ultra setting.

Undervolting the CPU doesn't damage it, check out a guide around here, I think it's much better for it.. less voltage, less heat.. longer life. ;x

Overclocking the GPU is a different story.

Do you have your laptop on a bed? solid surface?

The laptop draws 30-40% air from the bottom of the unit, with the 60% through the tweeters ( speakers ) located underneath / behind the screen joint.

If your keyboard gets dusty and you are brushing it off, then chances are the majority of the airflow is constricted by dust build up. You can easily clean the speaker mesh by removing the very back piece of the laptop by removing.. I believe around 7 screws. The piece then snaps off, but be careful not to break the speaker wire.

P.S. the myth that this laptop draws air through the keyboard is busted.

CME64
06-16-2014, 06:54 PM
LOL the problem is CPU heat not GPU, though I'm using the 337.88 driver and the game works fine just eats up like 11gb of memory.
I read about undervolting, many say it's safe and others say otherwise it seems to be a moot.
seriously you're asking that question ? no way, it's on top of a coolermaster x3 fan all the time on max speed and I cleaned that fan the day I bought the laptop.
As for dust I don't think so, the keyboard is covered all the time with the light white sheet that came with it (just to protect it from dust) since I'm using an external one, and currently my usage of the laptop is below 10, ps this baby is only 3 weeks old. In other words, there is no way it's a dust problem.
what's that rumor about it drawing air from the keyboard? .. I never heard of it .. I know air is drawn from the bottom and expelled from the back.
I posted this thread to see if others had the same problem and what they did about it, and the undervolting is an interesting idea I would save for last
Also I was expecting to get a reply from ASUS regarding their cooling problem and see what they would say about it ..

Regards,
CME64

Neovox
06-18-2014, 05:27 AM
Let me know if u got any answer from them. I just bought a JS model and i am getting Cpu temps too high (92-95c).

djadam
06-18-2014, 07:21 AM
@CME64 i have the exact same model and i can confirm u have a bad laptop that's it. i can benchmark or play games like watchdogs at a solid 55 fps gpu running at full clock and my temps are around 70c full cpu benchmark was hitting 75c for cpu. u should contact asus and rma for bad thermal compound application. just to confirm my cpu when being stressed is around 3.17ghz always and around the 70c range. i let my fans do their own thing but whenever i game with headphones i just flip the switch for max fans to guarantee a cool laptop. what u describe is definitely a failure with the compound application. let me know on any new news u have. or contact me though PM.

good luck with the troubleshooting.

btw this is my second JS model the first one i had had a horrible gpu down-clocking issue. it seems like alot of these new models are having issues. lots of threads being made especially about thermal issues.

hmscott
06-18-2014, 07:55 AM
@CME64 i have the exact same model and i can confirm u have a bad laptop that's it. i can benchmark or play games like watchdogs at a solid 55 fps gpu running at full clock and my temps are around 70c full cpu benchmark was hitting 75c for cpu. ...btw this is my second JS model the first one i had had a horrible gpu down-clocking issue. it seems like alot of these new models are having issues. lots of threads being made especially about thermal issues.

...I tested a light 3d scene rendering (using all 8 threads at 100% load) and the temperature spiked to around 96 Celsius in less than 10 seconds

djadam, it would be interesting to see the results of you duplicating the same rendering test that CME64 sees high temps on.

Your examples aren't the same as CME64's problem set - CME64 is running everything on the Intel GPU/CPU - while your examples are clearly rendering on the GTX GPU.

What CME64 is seeing, is the same complaint I have seen from several other people. Rendering apps that won't run on the Nvidia GPU due to Optimus, are forced to render on the Intel GPU *and* do the CPU intensive parts on the same chip - causing the temps to hit 95c+.

I think you will see the same temps as CME64 when doing the same rendering on the Intel GPU...your Intel CPU/GPU temps will be just as high.

CME64, I don't think your JS is doing anything out of the ordinary, you need to figure out how to do the rendering work on the GTX GPU, and offload the Intel CPU/GPU to only do compute intensive tasks - doing both CPU and GPU rendering on the same chip is going to run hot - it is the way it was designed.

If your rendering requirement will run on a GTX only laptop, you might consider getting a JX or JH to do your work mix instead of an Optimus G750 which will only run it on the Intel GPU. On the JX / JH your performance will be higher, and the compute load will be split between the CPU and GTX GPU, allowing cooling to be split across both cooling systems.

If you have a store near by that has Asus G750's on display, bring a copy of your rendering test on a flash drive to copy over and run on a JW/JX/JH - even a JW with a GTX765m will render faster than the Intel GPU.

hmscott
06-18-2014, 09:18 AM

CME64, undervolting won't hurt the hardware, and won't invalidate your warranty, it will however reduce operating temperatures for parts that function just as well with less voltage than the stock applied voltage.

Many people have under-volted their Haswell G750's and are running lower temps. It seems to help out the Optimus G750's even more than the non-Optimus G750's because the JM/JS/JZ are running so hot and close to the limits that even a small decrease in temp can avoid thermal throttling, so your JS will benefit.

Try -25mV to start, for Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and Cache Voltage Offset, and if that is stable - keep increasing on up to -125mV until it becomes unstable, then come back a bit to get the lowest voltage / heat output and remain stable.

If you crash, it doesn't hurt the computer, and while tuning don't do any installs / uninstalls or valuable work that would be lost if you crash - until you have dialed in the right offset - you can always save your offset tuning in an XTU Profile and back down to the most stable Profile while you do real work, and then return to the tuning later.

Take your time, and enjoy yourself, and it will be rewarding in the long run. :)

djadam
06-18-2014, 03:39 PM
@CME64 @hmscott the main stress tester ive used was AIDA64 that stressed the cpu fpu cache and mem. give me anything to throw at my cpu i wanna see if thes temps are reachable or if it is an issue with his laptop. now the main thing ive used with the intel gpu is iTunes visualizer for music. it refuses to use the 870m. i get around 35 fps and intel gpu runs at 100%. my temps are like i said around 75 max.

btw @hmscott i did end up getting a replacement laptop. haven't tested gpu too much yet though but seems to work fine.

Ninemeister
06-18-2014, 07:37 PM
CME64, undervolting won't hurt the hardware, and won't invalidate your warranty, it will however reduce operating temperatures for parts that function just as well with less voltage than the stock applied voltage.

Many people have under-volted their Haswell G750's and are running lower temps. It seems to help out the Optimus G750's even more than the non-Optimus G750's because the JM/JS/JZ are running so hot and close to the limits that even a small decrease in temp can avoid thermal throttling, so your JS will benefit.

Try -25mV to start, for Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset and Cache Voltage Offset, and if that is stable - keep increasing on up to -125mV until it becomes unstable, then come back a bit to get the lowest voltage / heat output and remain stable.

If you crash, it doesn't hurt the computer, and while tuning don't do any installs / uninstalls or valuable work that would be lost if you crash - until you have dialed in the right offset - you can always save your offset tuning in an XTU Profile and back down to the most stable Profile while you do real work, and then return to the tuning later.

Take your time, and enjoy yourself, and it will be rewarding in the long run. :)

I can back this up. Undervolting will definitely not damage the hardware. The only side effect would be if you were to crank up the frequency with insufficient voltage, the OS might crash/lock up. Over volting in excess can definitely damage equipment though.

CME64
06-18-2014, 09:07 PM
@Neovox, I will post the solution here if I find it.

@djadam X( you have confirmed my theory, I will contact asus asap
but I would like to know more about your model, did you run on all 8 threads at 100% ? some games don't support threading and if they do they won't run on all the threads you have. i7 4700HQ has 4 cores, each with 2 threads => 8 threads and with rendering engines they utilize all threads to the max and that is the difference
I could run 100% with 4 threads for half the performance yet the heat won't reach as high as 85

I oiled the set's fan and it is giving more air flow now, and I tested rendering on a fairly high settings + simple scene with default materials
it took about 4 mins at 100% load on all threads and the temp reached 99c on core_0 0_o
check this out (after the rendering was done)
and this was the scene

I have to check the thermal compound issue with ASUS
thanks for the suggestion

Regards,

CME64
06-18-2014, 09:26 PM
wow I didn't see those many replies on the second page :/

@hmscott you're right, all the rendering was running on the cpu while the gpu was taking a nap,
the CPU fan speed was around 4900rpm whilst the GPU fan speed was around 2400rpm almost as an idle state
I'll have to read more about this Optimus problem you mentioned and figure out a way to share the load with the GTX
as for games they're running swiftly, the only problem is with rendering (or CPU full usage) which was supposed to be handled on the hardware level as an expected worst scenario, I'm disappointed in their tests after this experience

Thanks to you all for replying and for your suggestions, I'll try the safest and most convenient ideas first
because I don't want to open my G750 like I did to the f8sn nor tweak the hardware, it's still brand new for God's sake :(
Regards,

cagamut
06-18-2014, 10:42 PM
I have the same temperature problem with ds71 Your fan speed is low. You must run gpu tweak and ac adapter on to get full fan speed when you are using cpu at full capacity. I'm getting 88 C at most.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48308-G750jm-ds71-cpu-high-temperature-problem&country=&status=

hmscott
06-19-2014, 02:07 AM
I have the same temperature problem with ds71 Your fan speed is low. You must run gpu tweak and ac adapter on to get full fan speed when you are using cpu at full capacity. I'm getting 88 C at most.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48308-G750jm-ds71-cpu-high-temperature-problem&country=&status=

cagamut, does Full Fan Speed spin up both fans? Or just the Nvidia GPU fan - the one on the right (while facing the screen).

The CPU/IntelGPU fan is the one on the left, and I don't think Full Fan Speed applies to that fan, can you please double check?

CME64's problem is that the CPU die is getting all the head load, and he needs the CPU fan to spin up faster. Spinning up the Nvidia GPU fan to Full Speed won't help much - it does get the air flow into the laptop up a bit and seems to help the CPU cool down a bit, so it isn't completely useless :)

hmscott
06-19-2014, 02:13 AM
...I could run 100% with 4 threads for half the performance yet the heat won't reach as high as 85

I oiled the set's fan and it is giving more air flow now, and I tested rendering on a fairly high settings + simple scene with default materials
it took about 4 mins at 100% load on all threads and the temp reached 99c on core_0 0_o
and this was the scene

CME64, can you please post links, upload a the sample test - or point out where it is in the app demo directory, and make a step by step that would allow us to run that render to get performance numbers and temps for you?

djadam can run it on his Optimus laptop and see how hot his CPU/IntelGPU gets.

And, I can run it on the G750JH non-Optimus, and I can give you performance numbers and temps split across the CPU/NvidiaGPU.

CME64, you should be able to set High Performance Nvidia Graphics in the Nvidia Control panel Manage 3d settings, and in the Program Settings tab set an app setting for the rendering app/tools/etc you are using. If that isn't enough, google for the app name optimus and see if there are app settings or nvidia tweaks that will force the rendering on to the Nvidia GPU.

djadam
06-19-2014, 02:42 AM
@Neovox, I will post the solution here if I find it.

@djadam X( you have confirmed my theory, I will contact asus asap
but I would like to know more about your model, did you run on all 8 threads at 100% ? some games don't support threading and if they do they won't run on all the threads you have. i7 4700HQ has 4 cores, each with 2 threads => 8 threads and with rendering engines they utilize all threads to the max and that is the difference
I could run 100% with 4 threads for half the performance yet the heat won't reach as high as 85

and this was the scene

I have to check the thermal compound issue with ASUS
thanks for the suggestion

Regards,

@CME64 what is that program that your using and getting these temps from. as well what is that program displaying your temps. as mentioned in the pm to u but i will mention here too i am aware that most games dont use all threads but also alot of games are like 80% gpu use and not as much cpu. depends on the game. i can play any game from my selection at 100% gpu usage and temps are in the 70Cs. (this is nvidia gpu though) the highest ive seen my cpu is 80c but i can not 100% confirm it was all 8 threads when stress testing. i do know it was all cores though.

cagamut, does Full Fan Speed spin up both fans? Or just the Nvidia GPU fan - the one on the right (while facing the screen).

The CPU/IntelGPU fan is the one on the left, and I don't think Full Fan Speed applies to that fan, can you please double check?

CME64's problem is that the CPU die is getting all the head load, and he needs the CPU fan to spin up faster. Spinning up the Nvidia GPU fan to Full Speed won't help much - it does get the air flow into the laptop up a bit and seems to help the CPU cool down a bit, so it isn't completely useless :)

@hmscott not to butt in too much here but i do know that on the 2 identical laptops i had (g750JS) the full fan speed switch does max out both fans. around 4900 RPM

CME64, can you please post links, upload a the sample test - or point out where it is in the app demo directory, and make a step by step that would allow us to run that render to get performance numbers and temps for you?

djadam can run it on his Optimus laptop and see how hot his CPU/IntelGPU gets.

And, I can run it on the G750JH non-Optimus, and I can give you performance numbers and temps split across the CPU/NvidiaGPU.

CME64, you should be able to set High Performance Nvidia Graphics in the Nvidia Control panel Manage 3d settings, and in the Program Settings tab set an app setting for the rendering app/tools/etc you are using. If that isn't enough, google for the app name optimus and see if there are app settings or nvidia tweaks that will force the rendering on to the Nvidia GPU.

@hmscott yes i could do that once i know the program. i will post all the info then. i have a feeling its a bad thermal compound application cuz my laptop is cool even with any stressing i try.

hmscott
06-19-2014, 02:50 AM
@CME64 what is that program that your using and getting these temps from. as well what is that program displaying your temps. as mentioned in the pm to u but i will mention here too i am aware that most games dont use all threads but also alot of games are like 80% gpu use and not as much cpu. depends on the game. i can play any game from my selection at 100% gpu usage and temps are in the 70Cs. (this is nvidia gpu though) the highest ive seen my cpu is 80c but i can not 100% confirm it was all 8 threads when stress testing. i do know it was all cores though.

@hmscott not to butt in too much here but i do know that on the 2 identical laptops i had (g750JS) the full fan speed switch does max out both fans. around 4900 RPM

@hmscott yes i could do that once i know the program. i will post all the info then. i have a feeling its a bad thermal compound application cuz my laptop is cool even with any stressing i try.

djadam, wow, both fans run at high speed? That must be really noisy! I can't believe Asus couldn't get the fan curves set for the additional heat load, without forcing the user to click a software button to force full speed fan mode - on both fans... wow.

If you run a CPU intensive program, all 8 threads at 100%, but don't have a GPU component also running on the Intel CPU/GPU then you aren't stressing like CME64's rendering - that is why he is seeing more heat.

Off the top of my head, you could run Cinebench, forcing it to render on the Intel GPU, and see if that stresses both CPU and GPU to 100%, but that is what you are looking for, a repeatable test that renders on the Intel GPU and does compute on the Intel CPU. If you find a test that we can all download and run in a repeatable way to force the Optimus Laptop CPU/IntelGPU to high heat, that would be great :)

Another possibility is to run 2 programs at once, I do this to test full load on CPU/GPU.

Run prime95 8 threads (default test) to load up the CPU, then run Furmark burn-in test to load up the GPU - you would need to make sure that Furmark is running on the Intel GPU.

Here are the program links:

Cinebench
http://www.maxon.net/products/cinebench/overview.html

Prime95 - I noticed that there is a new version 28, I last ran 27...
http://www.mersenne.org/download/

Furmark
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Have fun :)

djadam
06-19-2014, 03:01 AM
djadam, wow, both fans run at high speed? That must be really noisy! I can't believe Asus couldn't get the fan curves set for the additional heat load, without forcing the user to click a software button to force full speed fan mode - on both fans... wow.

If you run a CPU intensive program, all 8 threads at 100%, but don't have a GPU component also running on the Intel CPU/GPU then you aren't stressing like CME64's rendering - that is why he is seeing more heat.

Off the top of my head, you could run Cinebench, forcing it to render on the Intel GPU, and see if that stresses both CPU and GPU to 100%, but that is what you are looking for, a repeatable test that renders on the Intel GPU and does compute on the Intel CPU. If you find a test that we can all download and run in a repeatable way to force the Optimus Laptop CPU/IntelGPU to high heat, that would be great :)

yep both are at full speed from that switch. tbh in my own opinion its not too loud compared to some laptops. if u see the tear downs of these laptops these fans are big compared to some laptops with the annoying small fans. the nice thing is that we at least have the choice to turn it on or off. at idle though im quiet. the stressing ive done is just cpu always so i would need a program that did cpu stress with intel gpu at the same time if that is what he is doing with his tests. just ran now cinibench cant do intel gpu only sees my 870m and the cpu test is all 8 threads but no gpu use. im very curious what CME64 is using

hmscott
06-19-2014, 03:12 AM
yep both are at full speed from that switch. tbh in my own opinion its not too loud compared to some laptops. if u see the tear downs of these laptops these fans are big compared to some laptops with the annoying small fans. the nice thing is that we at least have the choice to turn it on or off. at idle though im quiet. the stressing ive done is just cpu always so i would need a program that did cpu stress with intel gpu at the same time if that is what he is doing with his tests. just ran now cinibench cant do intel gpu only sees my 870m and the cpu test is all 8 threads but no gpu use. im very curious what CME64 is using

djadam, when the G750JH is fully loaded running prime95 and furmark, and both CPU/GPU fans are running as fast as they go, they aren't very loud either. Glad to hear it is the same on the new G750's. The MSI with their Turbo Fan switch, is way louder...

I updated the post above with download links, and suggested another test, as above with prime95 loading up the Intel CPU and forcing Furmark to run on the Intel GPU, that should get the temps up to where CME64 is seeing them :)

djadam
06-19-2014, 04:00 AM
djadam, when the G750JH is fully loaded running prime95 and furmark, and both CPU/GPU fans are running as fast as they go, they aren't very loud either. Glad to hear it is the same on the new G750's. The MSI with their Turbo Fan switch, is way louder...

I updated the post above with download links, and suggested another test, as above with prime95 loading up the Intel CPU and forcing Furmark to run on the Intel GPU, that should get the temps up to where CME64 is seeing them :)

so interesting news i did prime 95 with furmark on intel gpu prime 95 was have issues getting into the 3Ghz for the cpu when the gpu was stressed. idk if its not supposed to overclock it to its max or just meet the standard clock speed. attached is the screenshot of the few min of testing.

so a bit of info gpu was staying around 2.4 Ghz at 100%
temps were a max of low 80Cs intel gpu was at 100%
and furmark was just loving the fps :P its 1080p btw

now i tried the prime 95 by itself and the clock speed did increase temps went to 95 but dropped as soon as the fans sped up. then temps were around mid 80Cs

i would like to still duplicate exactly what CME64 did to get the temps

hmscott
06-19-2014, 04:20 AM
so interesting news i did prime 95 with furmark on intel gpu prime 95 was have issues getting into the 3Ghz for the cpu when the gpu was stressed. idk if its not supposed to overclock it to its max or just meet the standard clock speed. attached is the screenshot of the few min of testing.

so a bit of info gpu was staying around 2.4 Ghz at 100%
temps were a max of low 80Cs intel gpu was at 100%
and furmark was just loving the fps :P its 1080p btw

now i tried the prime 95 by itself and the clock speed did increase temps went to 95 but dropped as soon as the fans sped up. then temps were around mid 80Cs

i would like to still duplicate exactly what CME64 did to get the temps

djadam, ok so it looks like this isn't the test to push the temps, as furmark seems to be backing off to protect the hardware :)

It looks like neovox may have found a good test, setting AIDA64 to run multiple stress tests at once.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48308-G750jm-ds71-cpu-high-temperature-problem&p=411347&viewfull=1#post411347

neovox didn't post an image of what tests he enabled in AIDA, I will ask him in that thread.

You could try the default tests enabled and see what temps you get - I don't think it comes up with GPU checked, but I don't know if neovox enabled GPU as well.

I would try defaults first, then enabled GPU too, and see what you get.

Here is a GPU only run on the JH

And, for comparison, here is everything except disk/memory checked, CPU stuff + GPU.

djadam
06-19-2014, 05:32 AM
djadam, ok so it looks like this isn't the test to push the temps, as furmark seems to be backing off to protect the hardware :)

It looks like neovox may have found a good test, setting AIDA64 to run multiple stress tests at once.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48308-G750jm-ds71-cpu-high-temperature-problem&p=411347&viewfull=1#post411347

neovox didn't post an image of what tests he enabled in AIDA, I will ask him in that thread.

You could try the default tests enabled and see what temps you get - I don't think it comes up with GPU checked, but I don't know if neovox enabled GPU as well.

I would try defaults first, then enabled GPU too, and see what you get.

Here is a GPU only run on the JH

And, for comparison, here is everything except disk/memory checked, CPU stuff + GPU.

oh yeah man i use AIDA64 all the time love the program. those temps i would talk about earlier where i was listing off my cpu temp during a stress test was from AIDA64. so here i stressed for a good 3 min and saw my temps were stable so i stopped. it was stressing cpu fpu cache mem and gpu this is intel gpu and nvidia gpu.

i was starting to think the stress wasn't working as good or something cuz everyone keeps complaining about bad temps. idk for me it looks like i can be a happy camper with a good working laptop for once.

hmscott
06-19-2014, 06:40 AM
oh yeah man i use AIDA64 all the time love the program. those temps i would talk about earlier where i was listing off my cpu temp during a stress test was from AIDA64. so here i stressed for a good 3 min and saw my temps were stable so i stopped. it was stressing cpu fpu cache mem and gpu this is intel gpu and nvidia gpu.
i was starting to think the stress wasn't working as good or something cuz everyone keeps complaining about bad temps. idk for me it looks like i can be a happy camper with a good working laptop for once.

djadam, that's what it's supposed to look like!

You should send that one back to Asus and ask them to take notes, and start doing the same thing for every G750 they are shipping :)

I noticed your CPU speed is a bit low at 2.9GHZ, are you at stock speeds, or under-clocked a bit? How about under-volting, have you dropped the voltage offset?

I have the CPU running at 3.2Ghz with the cores set to 36x, 35x, 34x, 34x, and the cache set to 36x, and I have it under volted to -25mV.

Those Intel GPU/CPU temps are amazingly low, and I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it in the GPU-Z and AIDA monitoring :)

I hope CME64 and the other JS/JM owners run the same tests and post their results for comparison.

Don't sell that JS :)

CME64
06-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Guys thanks for doing tests on your laptops that really helps.

@hmscott, your latest test on AIDA64 is almost similar to rendering, you ran all 8 threads to the max, but I'm quite surprised you didn't exceed 92c, I'll run the same test on AIDA64 too.

I'm quite aware of the cooling solution (copper heat sink and dual fans),
In fact it is one of the main reasons I purchased the G750 in addition to the GPU and motherboard
I was worried a bit about CPU performance but it was the best mobile CPU so far.

To me it seems to be a heat transfer problem, either the heat spreader is using a small area or the thermal compound is not transferring enough heat to the heat sink. The thing about the H. spreader is that in laptops intel isn't using the cheap thermal compound it uses between the die and the spreader like in desktops Haswell CPU and the H. spreader's area isn't going to be different than your CPUs too, so it is probably a thermal compound and that was my first deduction.

*for those who want to run the exact same tests:
the program I'm using is : 3ds max 2014
in the first test I used the default render engine
the second I used v-ray 3.06 render engine
I could rebuild a similar scene and save it, upload it to you guys, but you'll have to have the software (3ds max) and plugin (v-ray 3.06) in order to run the test

I'll build another scene as soon as I go back home (currently at work) and post it here

I would love to see your test results tonight,
Thank you,
Regards,

CME64

hmscott
06-19-2014, 06:58 AM

@hmscott, your latest test on AIDA64 is almost similar to rendering, you ran all 8 threads to the max, but I'm quite surprised you didn't exceed 92c, I'll run the same test on AIDA64 too.

In fact it is one of the main reasons I purchased the G750 in addition to the GPU and motherboard
I was worried a bit about CPU performance but it was the best mobile CPU so far.

To me it seems to be a heat transfer problem, either the heat spreader is using a small area or the thermal compound is not transferring enough heat to the heat sink. The thing about the H. spreader is that in laptops intel isn't using the cheap thermal compound it uses between the die and the spreader like in desktops Haswell CPU and the H. spreader's area isn't going to be different than your CPUs too, so it is probably a thermal compound and that was my first deduction.

I could rebuild a similar scene and save it, upload it to you guys, but you'll have to have the software (3ds max) and plugin (v-ray 3.06) in order to run the test

I'll build another scene as soon as I go back home (currently at work) and post it here

Thank you,
Regards,

CME64

CME64, my laptop isn't an Optimus, it is a discrete Nvidia only G750JH, so my CPU temps are just CPU - no GPU - all the rendering is done on the Nvidia 780m.

djadam ran the test, and he got even lower CPU temps on his JS, with rendering on both the Intel GPU and Nvidia GPU, I am amazed at the temps. :)

Lets see how your JS runs the same AIDA64 test compared to djadam's G750JS, and maybe others with the JS can do the same, so we can get an idea of the range.

djadam's temps are the lowest I have seen - but I don't know if they are typical or unusual overall because we don't have enough readings.

I am downloading 3dsmax as a 30 day trial, so when you are ready please go ahead and upload what we need to run the render.

CME64
06-19-2014, 07:41 AM
CME64, my laptop isn't an Optimus, it is a discrete Nvidia only G750JH, so my CPU temps are just CPU - no GPU - all the rendering is done on the Nvidia 780m.

djadam ran the test, and he got even lower CPU temps on his JS, with rendering on both the Intel GPU and Nvidia GPU, I am amazed at the temps. :)

Lets see how your JS runs the same AIDA64 test compared to djadam's G750JS, and maybe others with the JS can do the same, so we can get an idea of the range.

djadam's temps are the lowest I have seen - but I don't know if they are typical or unusual overall because we don't have enough readings.

I am downloading 3dsmax as a 30 day trial, so when you are ready please go ahead and upload what we need to run the render.

You may be talking about real-time rendering or view rendering, that is true, that kind of rendering takes place on the GPU.
but rendering in 3D graphics software (aside from view rendering) but rather scene rendering into images is another story, it always takes place on the CPU.
It may be possible to force the GPU to take part in that (which is a solution I'm interested in as it uses the GPU instead of leaving it idle while rendering), but it's always the CPU's duty to render the final image

Definitely I'll try AIDA64's benchmark and share the results
Till then,

hmscott
06-19-2014, 08:12 AM
You may be talking about real-time rendering or view rendering, that is true, that kind of rendering takes place on the GPU.
but rendering in 3D graphics software (aside from view rendering) but rather scene rendering into images is another story, it always takes place on the CPU.
It may be possible to force the GPU to take part in that (which is a solution I'm interested in as it uses the GPU instead of leaving it idle while rendering), but it's always the CPU's duty to render the final image
Definitely I'll try AIDA64's benchmark and share the results
Till then,

Then I missed the point of your complaint, I thought you said you were doing CPU benchmarks that were going into the 80c's, but the rendering run ran into the high 90c's, which I would have though was the added Intel GPU load on the CPU die.

When you do a run, if you can have open the hwinfo64 to watch CPU load/temp, and the GPU-Z monitor on the Intel/Nvidia GPU it would help me get an idea of the loads involved. For the aida64 runs too.

If djadam can run the same rendering test where you are seeing those high temps, then that would be a good comparison as well.

The workload settings make a difference as well. The furmark 1080p benchmark for me runs at 84c with 38fps, but the furmark burnin test with different settings runs at 93c with 55fps. Both run at 99% load...

Furmark settings to get the high FPS run

Try it :)

djadam
06-19-2014, 03:25 PM
djadam, that's what it's supposed to look like!

You should send that one back to Asus and ask them to take notes, and start doing the same thing for every G750 they are shipping :)

I noticed your CPU speed is a bit low at 2.9GHZ, are you at stock speeds, or under-clocked a bit? How about under-volting, have you dropped the voltage offset?

I have the CPU running at 3.2Ghz with the cores set to 36x, 35x, 34x, 34x, and the cache set to 36x, and I have it under volted to -25mV.

Those Intel GPU/CPU temps are amazingly low, and I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it in the GPU-Z and AIDA monitoring :)

I hope CME64 and the other JS/JM owners run the same tests and post their results for comparison.

Don't sell that JS :)

haha yeah i figured these were good temps :P and yeah ive always noticed that with benchmarking the clock isnt at the max max. this is totally stock and well 2.9 still is above the standard clock of 2.4Ghz but it doesnt want to go to the max of 3.24Ghz. during normal use though the clock speeds are max at 3.24Ghz its just weird how it wont go there when benching. i dont think that is the missing factor in the tests though. maybe stock has a mind of its own and at full load doent overclock itself as much? idk if id want to change my cpu clocks lol ive seen no issue with mine im just happy with the fastest mobile cpu sitting on my desk here. i care more about my gpu then cpu. yeah deffenetly wanna see the tests done on their laptops as well its looking like thes models are having issues with the thermal compound. maybe its the way the put together the laptop? who knows. hahaha id never sell this im happy i can play any game atm with good settings too bad its not the 880m though :P

Thank you,
Regards,

CME64

CME64 i think your right about the heat transfer issue and id say thermal compound. will take a look at the program tonight when not at work then see what i can do.

Then I missed the point of your complaint, I thought you said you were doing CPU benchmarks that were going into the 80c's, but the rendering run ran into the high 90c's, which I would have though was the added Intel GPU load on the CPU die.

When you do a run, if you can have open the hwinfo64 to watch CPU load/temp, and the GPU-Z monitor on the Intel/Nvidia GPU it would help me get an idea of the loads involved. For the aida64 runs too.

If djadam can run the same rendering test where you are seeing those high temps, then that would be a good comparison as well.

The workload settings make a difference as well. The furmark 1080p benchmark for me runs at 84c with 38fps, but the furmark burnin test with different settings runs at 93c with 55fps. Both run at 99% load...

yeah i can do that see what happens. btw hmscott im surprised at your furmark scores that's some amazing fps there temps a bit higher then me but better fps. my 870m is like in the 20s for fps haven't done too much in terms of testing it though.

Neovox
06-20-2014, 01:35 AM
Guys, I've tried to update the bios because in the website there's something related to thermal policy. Well apparently during the Unreal engine I got 55C at max with the cpu and 65 C GPU . Repeating the test using aida64 to stress the processor, the temperatures stayed high again. I am 98% sure that is a thermal solution problem. Should I send to Amazon and get a new one in this case?

Thanks

hmscott
06-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Guys, I've tried to update the bios because in the website there's something related to thermal policy. Well apparently during the Unreal engine I got 55C at max with the cpu and 65 C GPU . Repeating the test using aida64 to stress the processor, the temperatures stayed high again. I am 98% sure that is a thermal solution problem. Should I send to Amazon and get a new one in this case?
Thanks

Neovox, so far we have seen 3 people swap out several JM / JS units to try to get better temps, and they all run about the same. :(

djadam's JS is getting the best temps we have seen, but it isn't typical - at least not in the past, maybe djadam can tell us where he got his JS, and that might suggest newer builds are coming out cooler - I hope so :)

I would return to Amazon, and find a local place you can purchase, that way you can swap it same day and get local support. Ask for newly arrived stock... just in case Asus has gotten a better build process up and running.

djadam, where did you get your JS? :)

hmscott
06-20-2014, 01:59 AM
haha yeah i figured these were good temps :P and yeah ive always noticed that with benchmarking the clock isnt at the max max. this is totally stock and well 2.9 still is above the standard clock of 2.4Ghz but it doesnt want to go to the max of 3.24Ghz. during normal use though the clock speeds are max at 3.24Ghz its just weird how it wont go there when benching. i dont think that is the missing factor in the tests though. maybe stock has a mind of its own and at full load doent overclock itself as much? idk if id want to change my cpu clocks lol ive seen no issue with mine im just happy with the fastest mobile cpu sitting on my desk here. i care more about my gpu then cpu. yeah deffenetly wanna see the tests done on their laptops as well its looking like thes models are having issues with the thermal compound. maybe its the way the put together the laptop? who knows. hahaha id never sell this im happy i can play any game atm with good settings too bad its not the 880m though :P
CME64 i think your right about the heat transfer issue and id say thermal compound. will take a look at the program tonight when not at work then see what i can do.
yeah i can do that see what happens. btw hmscott im surprised at your furmark scores that's some amazing fps there temps a bit higher then me but better fps. my 870m is like in the 20s for fps haven't done too much in terms of testing it though.

djadam, your extra low temps might be because of the low speeds the CPU is running, and not going past into full speed.

Which power plan are you running? Try switching to High Performance, the mincpu/maxcpu is set to 100%/100% - that should keep your speed to max all the time, even with no load.

If you can't clock to 3.4ghz, then there is a problem with your laptop to resolve. :(

Where did you get your JS? Country/seller?

I updated the post with an image of the furmark run, and the settings I used to get 50-55fps (varies during run). Give it a try :)

djadam
06-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Neovox, so far we have seen 3 people swap out several JM / JS units to try to get better temps, and they all run about the same. :(

djadam's JS is getting the best temps we have seen, but it isn't typical - at least not in the past, maybe djadam can tell us where he got his JS, and that might suggest newer builds are coming out cooler - I hope so :)

I would return to Amazon, and find a local place you can purchase, that way you can swap it same day and get local support. Ask for newly arrived stock... just in case Asus has gotten a better build process up and running.

djadam, where did you get your JS? :)

im in ontario canada, got it at futureshop. this is my second JS the first had a gpu issue and the trackpad actually wasn't screwed in properly.

on a side note where are u all from?

djadam, your extra low temps might be because of the low speeds the CPU is running, and not going past into full speed.

Which power plan are you running? Try switching to High Performance, the mincpu/maxcpu is set to 100%/100% - that should keep your speed to max all the time, even with no load.

If you can't clock to 3.4ghz, then there is a problem with your laptop to resolve. :(

Where did you get your JS? Country/seller?

I updated the post with an image of the furmark run, and the settings I used to get 50-55fps (varies during run). Give it a try :)

my powerplan is the power 4 gear high performance with modified settings that i made sure i had what i want cpu is always 100% when plugged in. i just googled quick and may have a fix will post when i do. im overclocking cpu to your settings but not undervolting it. and wow thx for the furmark pics. there was a setting i had on that u didnt have on. the fps was high 40s. now u have the 780m so still a bit faster then mine.

hmscott
06-20-2014, 04:26 AM
im in ontario canada, got it at futureshop. this is my second JS the first had a gpu issue and the trackpad actually wasn't screwed in properly.
on a side note where are u all from?
my powerplan is the power 4 gear high performance with modified settings that i made sure i had what i want cpu is always 100% when plugged in. i just googled quick and may have a fix will post when i do. im overclocking cpu to your settings but not undervolting it. and wow thx for the furmark pics. there was a setting i had on that u didnt have on. the fps was high 40s. now u have the 780m so still a bit faster then mine.

Oh! Canada!! :)

USA.

Power4Gear causes problems, you might try uninstalling it, and running the Windows High Performance plan, see if that fixes it. And, I usually run on Balanced, plenty of power, but idles lots cooler - min/max CPU set to 0%/100% - btw, to turn off Turbo, set max to 99%

djadam
06-20-2014, 04:28 AM
@hmscott when u say turbo u refer to the jump forn 2.4-3.4 that intel provides as their "turbo speed"

hmscott
06-20-2014, 04:34 AM
@hmscott when u say turbo u refer to the jump forn 2.4-3.4 that intel provides as their "turbo speed"

Yes, so since you are reaching 2.9ghz, you are doing the turbo, you just aren't going all the way to 3.4ghz. 2.9 ghz is an odd ceiling to hit... unless your multipliers are set lower than stock.

Try running prime95 with 1 thread.

The Turbo only maxes out on 1 thread, at 2 threads a little slower, 3 threads and 4 threads the slowest turbo.

So it may be that you are running things with 4/8 threads and the CPU won't "turbo" all the cores the same, and drops down speed on the 1st core.

You can check with Intel XTU what your multipliers are set for... cache too.

djadam
06-20-2014, 05:08 AM
Yes, so since you are reaching 2.9ghz, you are doing the turbo, you just aren't going all the way to 3.4ghz. 2.9 ghz is an odd ceiling to hit... unless your multipliers are set lower than stock.

Try running prime95 with 1 thread.

The Turbo only maxes out on 1 thread, at 2 threads a little slower, 3 threads and 4 threads the slowest turbo.

So it may be that you are running things with 4/8 threads and the CPU won't "turbo" all the cores the same, and drops down speed on the 1st core.

You can check with Intel XTU what your multipliers are set for... cache too.

well i OC with xtu basically to your settings. then undervolted to -70 mV on cpu and cache prime 95 seemed to not be able to pick a core kept bouncing throughout all the cores when trying to single thread. :S who knows anyways im clocked at 3.6 seems that sometimes it doesn't always reach that but does alot too. during a full 100% stress the max clock drops idk why but tbh im not worried. my temps were low 90s till fan caught up then mid 80s. tbh i have a fast cpu here that seems to run fine i dont wanna do too much to it and risk the good laptop :P

btw 100% deleted P4gear and just did my own settings.

hmscott
06-20-2014, 05:21 AM
well i OC with xtu basically to your settings. then undervolted to -70 mV on cpu and cache prime 95 seemed to not be able to pick a core kept bouncing throughout all the cores when trying to single thread. :S who knows anyways im clocked at 3.6 seems that sometimes it doesn't always reach that but does alot too. during a full 100% stress the max clock drops idk why but tbh im not worried. my temps were low 90s till fan caught up then mid 80s. tbh i have a fast cpu here that seems to run fine i dont wanna do too much to it and risk the good laptop :P
btw 100% deleted P4gear and just did my own settings.

djadam, sounds good :)

There is a trick you can do to force a process to 1 core, or say 2 to get the matching hyper-thread.

You can use Windows Task Manager, Details tab, sort by CPU, and select the prime process running 100% and the parent prime process that is likely idle, one at a time, and set their process affinity to only 1 core (or 2 if you want the hyper-threaded core). You right click on the process, select affinity, and I click the All check box to deselect All, and then select the ones I want, usually Core 6,7. Then you are stable on 1 core, including the new prime95 threads that run after the last one completes.

Have fun :)

CME64
06-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Hey guys,
Last night I was so tired and I headed to the bed as soon as I arrived home,

here are the results of AIDA64's stress test, I stopped it when the temp reached the max,
The statistics:

but according to core temp the max temps are different (depends on the delay time between reads done by the logger)

and this was after rendering the test scene (attached for you to run it if you want)

and here is the test scene (3ds max 2014 - no plugins needed)
MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/download/nf9f9gdp3fcsaj2/Render_Test.zip)

@hmscott btw the benchmark you used last was for GPU stressing as it seems,
I have no problems with GPU though, the main problem is CPU

note: 4gear power plan has no apparent effect, it performs as well as the high settings plan

tell me what happens with you guys in your rendering test
Thanks,
Regards,
CME64

hmscott
06-20-2014, 03:29 PM
@hmscott btw the benchmark you used last was for GPU stressing as it seems,
I have no problems with GPU though, the main problem is CPU

CME64, best of luck on replacing your laptop, please come back and let us know how the new one runs :)

Neovox
06-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Guys, I gave up.

Yesterday I sent an email to amazon and asked for a replacement. This optimus technology its just annoying. Well I paid a lot of money for this notebook by my own, and the minimum that I expect is to work fine. Apparently we are only a few with this problem if you consider the total amount of people that bought this specific model (djadam is a good example of a JS working fine). For now I will wait for the replacement (I know, I've should asked the money back and bought at another place to avoid problems with lote, but whatever ;x) and if the problem persists I will get the G750JX-DB71. I know that our GPU its better, but at least the heating problems will be solved because this model is a reliable one.

Thanks for you help and patience

=D

CME64
06-20-2014, 04:24 PM
CME64, best of luck on replacing your laptop, please come back and let us know how the new one runs :)
Who talked about replacing ? I don't think I can replace it anymore, I bought it from ebay, expstore and the money back condition was that it must be within 14 days of purchase,,
my only options is to run to ASUS for maintenance, use CPU tweeks, or apply a new thermal paste myself which I will not do before the warranty ends

Please share your rendering results

hmscott
06-21-2014, 03:27 AM
Who talked about replacing ? I don't think I can replace it anymore, I bought it from ebay, expstore and the money back condition was that it must be within 14 days of purchase,,
my only options is to run to ASUS for maintenance, use CPU tweeks, or apply a new thermal paste myself which I will not do before the warranty ends Please share your rendering results

CME64, sorry, I wanted to respond, but didn't have time for a proper long response :)

Your temps are too high, and replacement, or repair with Asus is important to make sure you get the most from your laptop. Those temps indicated are likely causing thermal throttling, so you aren't getting full performance during those runs.

Did you use hwinfo64 to measure temps yet? It's Sensors only mode gathers lots of data on temps, power usage, and performance, and during the time it is running will catch thermal throttling events you might miss by watching a meter - like on XTU or other monitoring software. It looks like this:

If you do a run and see thermal throttling, capture that for Asus, as that will help focus their RMA reasons.

It's too bad you can't return to the seller, as that is usually the quickest route. But, Asus can be quick too, the better you set up the Technical Inquiry with a clear description and reproducible examples - not the render - the quicker they will write up the correct corrective action to implement when they receive your laptop.

You didn't include rendering steps/instructions, I loaded 3dMax and the file you uploaded, but the simple render only took 20 seconds or so, what is the proper way to do the rendering run where you are getting high temps? The render I am seeing is too short to heat up the CPU.

CME64
06-21-2014, 01:05 PM
good suggestions
I used hwinfo before but usually I use core temp, I'll give it another try
about rendering
just open the scene and click on the perspective view to activate it (you'll see colored borders when it is active)
then press F9 and your render will start. the settings are ready all you have to do is render it.
please tell me about your max temp after the rendering is done.

hmscott
06-21-2014, 01:18 PM
good suggestions
I used hwinfo before but usually I use core temp, I'll give it another try
about rendering
just open the scene and click on the perspective view to activate it (you'll see colored borders when it is active)
then press F9 and your render will start. the settings are ready all you have to do is render it.
please tell me about your max temp after the rendering is done.

CME64, "just open the scene and click on the perspective view to activate it (you'll see colored borders when it is active)"

I might be doing it correctly, and I might not, I click on the object press p, and I get xyz in color, I hit F9, and it is doing the same thing I did yesterday, it takes about 30 seconds to render, how long is it taking you to render? My top temp captured in hwinfo64 is 74c

Here is the screenshot, forgot to post it yesterday :)

dblkk
06-21-2014, 02:10 PM

couldnt open your rendering link, so i tried running prime95 and aida64.

Temps arent liking me. But this is my 3rd JS, and went through 3 JM models with same thing.

hmscott
06-21-2014, 03:36 PM
couldnt open your rendering link, so i tried running prime95 and aida64.
Temps arent liking me. But this is my 3rd JS, and went through 3 JM models with same thing.

dblkk, thanks for posting, I had you in mind when I mentioned earlier about people swapping through several JM/JS G750's and still seeing high temps. And, you aren't the only one that has done this.

djadam's low temps are likely due to his laptop not clocking up as high, that would draw less power and generate less heat. djadam's laptop is the only one that has had those very low temps.

The only way around this is to undervolt the CPU, and perhaps downclock it's turbo multi's a couple of clicks - not disabling turbo all the way by setting maxcpu to 99% in power plan, but just dropping down from 34x to maybe 32x, or maybe like djadam's CPU, 29x - to emulate what he is seeing.

It would suck to have to do that, but if it keeps the CPU from going into thermal throttling under load you might actually get better overall performance/throughput by downclocking a bit.

CME64
06-21-2014, 08:27 PM
@hmscott, yes it is a very simple scene and it takes about 30 seconds to render,
I'm surprised your max temp was 74c, mine got to 95c on the same scene ..

@dblkk, you're getting high temps as me, temps better get to like us soon 3:)

So I found a temporary solution for rendering, but it is a work around not a solution really,
I changed the maximum processor's state from the power options to 99% instead of 100%
the turbo stopped working, I could render fine (but a bit slow) and no dangerous temps (max reached was about 70c) and it took 34 seconds to render
here is a screenshot

Also on AIDA64, the max temp for stress testing was 81c on 2.4ghz no turbo boost :(

I wonder if turbo oc temp was overlooked by ASUS while planning the cooling system, it seems that the thermal compound is working fine with 2.4ghz or it would have throttled otherwise (thermal compound problems don't give exceptions for lower clocks)

I'm going to try to figure out a solution to limit the turbo boost's max clock to protect the CPU and get the maximum performance possible

Regards,
CME64

TokoDude
06-21-2014, 09:45 PM
test dde

hmscott
06-21-2014, 10:37 PM
@hmscott, yes it is a very simple scene and it takes about 30 seconds to render,
I'm surprised your max temp was 74c, mine got to 95c on the same scene ..
@dblkk, you're getting high temps as me, temps better get to like us soon 3:)
So I found a temporary solution for rendering, but it is a work around not a solution really,
I changed the maximum processor's state from the power options to 99% instead of 100%
the turbo stopped working, I could render fine (but a bit slow) and no dangerous temps (max reached was about 70c) and it took 34 seconds to render
here is a screenshot
Also on AIDA64, the max temp for stress testing was 81c on 2.4ghz no turbo boost :(
I wonder if turbo oc temp was overlooked by ASUS while planning the cooling system, it seems that the thermal compound is working fine with 2.4ghz or it would have throttled otherwise (thermal compound problems don't give exceptions for lower clocks)
I'm going to try to figure out a solution to limit the turbo boost's max clock to protect the CPU and get the maximum performance possible
Regards,
CME64

CME64, disabling turbo is effective, but you might be able to get a bit more performance than that and still keep the heat down by using XTU to reduce the turbo multipliers - try 30x for a start. You can also apply negative voltage offset using XTU, start at -50mV on through -125mV, as far as you are stable, and that will reduce heat generation too.

I forgot to post the screenshot yesterday, added it to the post, and did another run now with hwinfo / GPU-Z running side by side to get the temps. The ambient temperature is up during the daytime, so this run went at 76c

You can see I am running at 3.4ghz turbo, which is why my run is only 23 seconds, instead of your 34 seconds. That is a huge performance difference, and over a large project could make a big difference in turn around time.

It is too bad you are getting these high temps on your CPU, the sooner you get it fixed the better :)

Just for fun, I worked out how to use the iray Nvidia CUDA renderer, still playing with it, but at least it is working and has an output. I had to play with the settings for lighting, background, etc to get anything but a black render image. You can see the GPU-Z showing GPU load on the 780m during the run.

Found these references useful:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2015/ENU/index.html?guid=GUID-624F7D94-DF89-4D39-8ABB-13F8F73EE5DD

http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2013/presentations/S3473-Getting-Started-Iray-Photoreal-Rendering.pdf

http://blog.irayrender.com/

http://blog.mentalray.com/

CPU temps went up during the iray run - it looks like some time would need to be spent to get a nice balance between performance and result - set to a 1 minute limited render.

I was hoping that off-loading the rendering to the GTX GPU would reduce the load on the CPU and allow you to work around the thermal throttling of the CPU without reducing performance through reducing the multi-plier's on the cores.

dblkk PM'd me some good results with tuning the core multipliers on turbo - I hope dblkk follows up in the thread - it could help you too.

CFE64, it looks like V-Ray will off load the rendering, without increasing the CPU temp, in fact the CPU runs really cool, and the CUDA rendering is quick, and the result seems the most compatible.

V-Ray download
http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/downloads.html?s=v-ray

Installation Instructions
http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/help/200R1/install_instructions.htm

V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Help
http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3/V-Ray+3.0+for+3ds+Max+Help

I installed the 64 bit V-Ray RT 3.00.07 for 3ds Max 2015, and it was pretty easy to set the render from CPU to Nvidia - and there are options to select a render server too. Didn't check cost :)

CFE64, that V-ray is pretty cool, lots of great options, fast, and makes a nice render :)

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray.html

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray_licensing.html

dblkk
06-22-2014, 12:07 AM
CME64, disabling turbo is effective, but you might be able to get a bit more performance than that and still keep the heat down by using XTU to reduce the turbo multipliers - try 30x for a start. You can also apply negative voltage offset using XTU, start at -50mV on through -125mV, as far as you are stable, and that will reduce heat generation too.

I forgot to post the screenshot yesterday, added it to the post, and did another run now with hwinfo / GPU-Z running side by side to get the temps. The ambient temperature is up during the daytime, so this run went at 76c

You can see I am running at 3.4ghz turbo, which is why my run is only 23 seconds, instead of your 34 seconds. That is a huge performance difference, and over a large project could make a big difference in turn around time.

It is too bad you are getting these high temps on your CPU, the sooner you get it fixed the better :)

Yea, i kind of gave up thinking that this new series will offer last series temps. Really wished i wouldve jumped on the JH train, but i use laptop on the go to much to give up optimus, so temps here i stay. But between 7 laptops now from the new sereies and identical temps being to high, im just going to accept this.

I thought I got a fairly decent undervolt, but didnt prove to drop next to anything temp wise. And will also most definitly try your idea of lower the turbo multiplier. Problem is right now at moment, any time i try to launch intel tuning i get an 'undable to start intel extremem tuning utility. if there is another performance tuning application running, you must close it before trying to start this application. This is all done before launching anything other than chrome, no other monitoring software or anything. A few restarts have been tried, so i will probably uninstall and then perhaps go to guru3d.com and redownload, dont remember which version im at, but ill grab the newest and retry my undervolt, and dropping multipliers.

I also use what was from reading, a very decent coolermaster laptop cooling pad, which drops temps maybe a degree or two. Urgh, kind of.

Just waiting for this next year to fly by, and then rethermal paste. I have a beast of a pc, and about $1000 worth of custom liquid cooling. And this has shown me how big of a difference thermal pastes can vary. With pc, i tried to oc the chip as high as possible. I got my 8350 to 1.496 volts at 5.3ghz on all 8 cores, but even with exceptional liquid cooling (360mm rad, 240mm rad, 120mm rad, (even took out my 780sli)) my temps were still hovering 65-70c, which is the max for the chip. Tried all top 5 rated thermal pastes, and each one applied identically ( there is some very very slight varience) temps did range from 61-72 through the different pastes. So I feel, after trying a few thermal pastes, i should easily get this laptop to at least drop below 95c.

hmscott
06-22-2014, 12:31 AM
Yea, i kind of gave up thinking that this new series will offer last series temps. Really wished i wouldve jumped on the JH train, but i use laptop on the go to much to give up optimus, so temps here i stay. But between 7 laptops now from the new sereies and identical temps being to high, im just going to accept this.

I thought I got a fairly decent undervolt, but didnt prove to drop next to anything temp wise. And will also most definitly try your idea of lower the turbo multiplier. Problem is right now at moment, any time i try to launch intel tuning i get an 'undable to start intel extremem tuning utility. if there is another performance tuning application running, you must close it before trying to start this application. This is all done before launching anything other than chrome, no other monitoring software or anything. A few restarts have been tried, so i will probably uninstall and then perhaps go to guru3d.com and redownload, dont remember which version im at, but ill grab the newest and retry my undervolt, and dropping multipliers.

I also use what was from reading, a very decent coolermaster laptop cooling pad, which drops temps maybe a degree or two. Urgh, kind of.

Just waiting for this next year to fly by, and then rethermal paste. I have a beast of a pc, and about $1000 worth of custom liquid cooling. And this has shown me how big of a difference thermal pastes can vary. With pc, i tried to oc the chip as high as possible. I got my 8350 to 1.496 volts at 5.3ghz on all 8 cores, but even with exceptional liquid cooling (360mm rad, 240mm rad, 120mm rad, (even took out my 780sli)) my temps were still hovering 65-70c, which is the max for the chip. Tried all top 5 rated thermal pastes, and each one applied identically ( there is some very very slight varience) temps did range from 61-72 through the different pastes. So I feel, after trying a few thermal pastes, i should easily get this laptop to at least drop below 95c.

dblkk, AIDA64 has conflicted in the past, try quitting it, or see if there is a service running that has the api locked up such that XTU can't read/write settings. You could look at your installs since XTU and see what might be the conflict and uninstall it.

Don't be surprised if a re-paste doesn't make much difference, you have found that all are about the same out of the factory, and in the past people have tried re-pasting only to find the same temps +- a few degree's - which turned out to be variations in ambient and location.

Contrary to popular belief, modern pastes put on by companies like Asus are good, not like the old days of thermal pads and too thick application of paste. But, at this point even a couple of degree's on the physical side will help keep you below thermal throttling, so it could help.

If you are real stingy with the paste, use high quality copper shims or lap the surfaces, are careful to make sure all the thermal connections are solid for the pipes, you might just make a big difference :)

Neovox
06-22-2014, 01:17 AM
Hey guys, just to keep you updated...

I got a replacement from asus and I think now its fine.

My idle temps are around 38-40 C and the max temp with AIDA64 was 90 also stressing the gpu, which I suppose that are both intel and NVIDIA. The max temp average its 85 C now.

It seems that this model is a little bit hotter that the others before, but now the temperatures seems to be descent.

Thanks for you help

hmscott
06-22-2014, 02:24 AM
Hey guys, just to keep you updated...

I got a replacement from asus and I think now its fine.

My idle temps are around 38-40 C and the max temp with AIDA64 was 90 also stressing the gpu, which I suppose that are both intel and NVIDIA. The max temp average its 85 C now.

It seems that this model is a little bit hotter that the others before, but now the temperatures seems to be descent.

Thanks for you help

Neovox, that's great!!, it looks like you got a good one :)

Juanbear
07-06-2014, 11:22 PM
undervolt the cpu -50mv and enjoy -5C :)

how did you do this?

TrickOrTreat
02-12-2015, 08:00 PM
All of the ASUS G750xx laptops have an inherent case design flaw degrading the CPU thermal cooling over time if the laptop owner does not proactively take preventative measures. To expand, the inherent case design flaw is a result of where ASUS placed the Kensington security lock with a small hole/opening, which is at the left rear corner right next to the CPU thermal cooling components (e.g., cooling fins, fan and exhaust opening). And as a result of their placement of the Kensington security lock with the small opening, that small opening allows unfiltered air to be easily sucked directly into the laptop because it is located right next to the CPU cooling fan.

I've opened up my 8 months old G750 laptop and found an incredibly dusty CPU fan, which looked like it was from a CPU fan belonging to a 4 year old laptop, not an 8 months old laptop. Surprisingly, my GPU fan was very clean with almost no dust at all. Anyway, I cleaned all of the internals with a blower and taped up the Kensington lock opening to prevent future unfiltered air from being sucked into to the CPU cooling components. In the future, I also plan to open up my G750 to replace the CPU & GPU thermal compound as well as placing my own additional copper heatsinks to the CPU/GPU cooling components.