PDA

View Full Version : G750JM Daily BSODS, DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Jaitsu
06-17-2014, 12:20 AM
So, about a month ago, I bought myself a shiny new G750JM-DS71 notebook from Newegg, and ever since I've been having this issue. Almost every day, at random intervals, I get blue screens of death indicating a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I'm completely at a loss as to what could possibly be causing this. At first I suspected hardware, and after a two-week long war with Newegg, they finally replaced the thing. And now I have another brand new one... with the same exact issue. I've done a bit of homework on how to analyze a MEMORY.DMP, and details of an !analyze -v and !irp are available at the following link.

http://pastebin.com/CHTDyuQu

From this log, I don't see any implication of any driver but pci.sys and ACPI. But it has to be SOMETHING software-wise, or else why would two completely different notebooks have the same issue? I've updated the BIOS to 206 (BSODs started before I did), disabled GPU Tweak, disabled USB Charger Plus, everything that might affect drivers and power states, and nothing seems to stop this from happening.

Twice it's occurred while the notebook was closed (not in sleep mode,) once when returning from sleep, once during a game, once during a Livestream, and one during casual web browsing, so usage doesn't seem to affect when it happens.

Now, unfortunately, I didn't think to change memory dump types to minidumps, so if anyone wants the actual dump to analyze, you'll have to wait for this to happen to me again... I doubt you'll be waiting longer than a day. If I can't figure out a solution to this, I'm going to have to go for a refund, because this is getting ridiculous, when once every 24 hours I suddenly lose everything I'm doing.

The only two programs I have installed that could be playing with drivers are MalwareBytes and COMODO Firewall - both popular software that I've used in tandem on plenty of other systems, so I don't see why they could possibly cause a BSOD, let alone one referencing a power failure.

The real pain here is that since the issue takes so much (~24 hours on average?) time to reoccur, Newegg has been giving me serious issues with my returns, since they seem to only test the notebook for a few hours before assuming there's nothing wrong, so I can't even claim the no lemon policy.

(Apologies if I seem a little frustrated, but I've been going back and forth with this thing and Newegg for a month and constantly going nearly-24-hour intervals of getting my hopes up only for a ":(" face to pop up in my face and laugh at my misfortune.)

EDIT: 332.60 drivers are a bandaid fix, but Microsoft may have ninja'd this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2983139

CME64
06-17-2014, 10:57 AM
seems to me that you need to update your OS and drivers
also please provide your error code as it has a meaning (click here for more info) (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559329(v=vs.85).aspx)

Regards,

Jaitsu
06-17-2014, 07:36 PM
seems to me that you need to update your OS and drivers
also please provide your error code as it has a meaning (click here for more info) (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559329(v=vs.85).aspx)

Regards,

Everything is completely up to date, including Windows, drivers, and the BIOS. If you look at the Pastebin of the dump analysis, the error code is 3. The full set of parameters is 0000000000000003, ffffe0014512e060, ffffd000c0fb8930, ffffe0014517f740

Jaitsu
06-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Update: Here's my Google Drive folder with a couple of minidumps, if it's any help. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzczOJsZzalmLUxpeFB3enRZLVU&usp=sharing

I've removed USB Charger since the most recent of these, but I did that before the first return too, so I doubt that's it. No further BSODs yet, but keep in mind that so far it's taken nearly 24 hours to reoccur every time.

Jaitsu
06-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Happened again, even after removing GPU Tweak and USB Charger. Additional minidump added to google drive folder linked above.

Have also disabled GPU and CPU power saving settings, to no avail. I'm running out of options. Going to temporarily remove MalwareBytes just on the off chance that its driver is somehow doing this, then I'm going to Asus official support, and if I can't get it solved then I'm going to have to go for a refund.

Sorry to bump this so often, but with Newegg's 30 day refund window the clock is ticking for me to find a solution.

Edit: Have also removed the ATK Package and its included WMI ACPI driver in case it's responsible for this... even if that does mean that I now have almost no working function keys.

hmscott
06-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Happened again, even after removing GPU Tweak and USB Charger. Additional minidump added to google drive folder linked above.

Have also disabled GPU and CPU power saving settings, to no avail. I'm running out of options. Going to temporarily remove MalwareBytes just on the off chance that its driver is somehow doing this, then I'm going to Asus official support, and if I can't get it solved then I'm going to have to go for a refund.

Sorry to bump this so often, but with Newegg's 30 day refund window the clock is ticking for me to find a solution.

Edit: Have also removed the ATK Package and its included WMI ACPI driver in case it's responsible for this... even if that does mean that I now have almost no working function keys.

Did you uninstall Power 4 Gear and Gaming Mouse? Those are good to get rid of first off, as well as Splendid, Live Update, and Vibe. Power4Gear / Gaming mouse might be involved in the problem, so at least uninstall those first.

Jaitsu
06-19-2014, 05:47 AM
Removed every one of those, though I've been reinstalling things as I establish what it isn't. Removed said WMIACPI driver as well as MalwareBytes and so far so good, but that's what I've been saying every 24 hours or so, and then it BSODs. If this doesn't stop it, I might try rolling back to the ASUS-specific graphics driver rather than the latest ones from nvidia, much as I don't want to do that; quality hardware tweaks really shouldn't require me to stick with an outdated driver, especially when ASUS likely stop updating it in a few months' time...

Caastiel
06-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Hello, I have the G750JM just a couple of weeks old and I get this exact same BSOD with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE often too. Usually I'll notice programs failing to start or failing to close right before the BSOD comes up. Please someone, help!

hmscott
06-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Guys, it seems this thread may have found the solution, reverting back to Nvidia driver 332.60 from the Asus download

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help..new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2.1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD&p=411055&viewfull=1#post411055

G750JM download area, Windows 8.1, VGA, Version V9.18.13.3260
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JM&hashedid=hk9WNtlEOFPl0Q7s

This kind of incompatibility with release Nvidia drivers happened before on the G750JW/JX/JH early on, and it took a few months to resolve. The 3D screen JX/JH had a longer term incompatibility with Nvidia release drivers.

It will be matter of trying each new Nvidia Beta/release driver as they come out, and watch for new drivers from Asus... less likely :)

It might help to give feedback to Nvidia.

Official NVIDIA 337.88 WHQL Performance Display Driver Feedback Thread (5/26/14)
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/746026/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-337-88-whql-performance-display-driver-feedback-thread-5-26-14-/

Asus also keeps a central area for VGA drivers, and right now the newest nvidia driver is 333.11, IDK if it is stable on the JM/JS/JZ, but it is worth a try.

Here are the Asus posted VGA drivers.
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=VGA&p=3&s=111

Update: It looks like the 340.43 driver is not crashing, it has the problem of breaking Asus GPU Tweak tool OC'ing, but you can use MSI Afterburner to OC instead - this driver also has fixes / improvements for BF4 Hardline.

340.43 Download, Feedback, and MSI Afterburner Workaround
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48452-Can-t-OC-GPU-after-updating-nvidia-geforce-drivers-to-340.43-(BETA)&p=411657&viewfull=1#post411657

Please post feedback here if 340.43 solves the crashing, or not.

Jaitsu
06-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Y'know, I searched, I swear I did... But that's good to know, thanks. I'm not sure if my most recent BSOD was before or after I updated to the latest Nvidia beta, but we shall see. I'll give it a few days, if it doesn't BSOD I'll let you know, and if it does, I'll switch to the 332.60s and keep you all posted. Perhaps there should be a sticky about this, if this can happen from using up-to-date drivers...

Edit: Confirming what hmscott said: 340.43 drivers have not crashed thus far, though I've noticed a dip in performance, presumably due to the OC no longer working. Installed Nvidia System Tools, overclock settings don't appear to be working there either. Even MSI doesn't seem to be working for me; I play with the settings, but the GPU clock graphs don't budge. Troublesome, but I'd rather deal with a touch less performance than random blue-screens. Oh well. If I decide I really want the extra performance, I'll go back to the ASUS driver. I'm just glad now we know the cause of this! And good on Nvidia for fixing the BSODs, at least.

hmscott
06-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Edit: Confirming what hmscott said: 340.43 drivers have not crashed thus far, though I've noticed a dip in performance, presumably due to the OC no longer working. Installed Nvidia System Tools, overclock settings don't appear to be working there either. Even MSI doesn't seem to be working for me; I play with the settings, but the GPU clock graphs don't budge. Troublesome, but I'd rather deal with a touch less performance than random blue-screens. Oh well. If I decide I really want the extra performance, I'll go back to the ASUS driver. I'm just glad now we know the cause of this! And good on Nvidia for fixing the BSODs, at least.

Jaitsu, that's good news :)

Even though the MSI meter isn't showing the GPU frequency, you can use GPU-Z to see the frequency under load - so I run a CUDA job through BOINC to pump up the GPU/memory clock, and use MSI to set the +setting for memory and GPU. Here is another link where I have more detail on how I did it:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48452-Can-t-OC-GPU-after-updating-nvidia-geforce-drivers-to-340.43-(BETA)&p=411657&viewfull=1#post411657

After getting the OC done through MSI Afterburner, my performance under 340.43 is better for most things, here are some test results:

3dmark - New Skydiver test Sponsored by Asus :)
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48526-3dmark-New-Skydiver-test-Sponsored-by-Asus-)&p=411701&viewfull=1#post411701

Jaitsu
06-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Annnnd nope. It's back. After an entire week without BSODing, it's done it again, same error as ever. Rolling back to ASUS' 332.60s and notifying NVidia.

iloveme
06-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Hi,

I've received yesterday my G750JM laptop , and having the same BSOD issue . Nvidia driver version : 337.88 . Could you please let me know if you managed to find the cause?

Thank you in advance.

dullz
06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
have a look here...its happening alot!:mad:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help..new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2.1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD/page2

Jaitsu
06-26-2014, 08:41 PM
The graphics driver definitely has something to do with the BSODs; using the latest beta driver (340.43) let me go for an entire week without it happening (but it still happened) and so far it hasn't happened at all with the 332.60s. It's only been a day, but so far no one seems to have the BSOD with the Asus 332.60 driver, so for now, switch to those. If anyone has a blue screen with those, please say so. If a lot of users are having the same issue with the same notebook while using Asus' driver, they're going to either have to fix it or issue a recall, because random blue screens are not acceptable.

EDIT: Oh wonderful. Just figured out that when using the 332.60 drivers, when the conditions occur that would normally cause a blue screen (usually exiting a game or something similar), the GPU can still get stuck "on" and in low-power mode. This means the graphics clock locks up at 405, when it should go up to 666 while playing games. This leads to poor performance far below what the 860M is supposed to be capable of. This is obviously a serious, widespread issue, and I'll be contacting ASUS about it.

Caastiel
06-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Hmm so far I've managed to not get a BSOD with the 340.43 driver. I'll still recommend those with the JM model to update to this version, but does Asus even acknowledge this problem?

Jaitsu
06-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Caastiel, the 340.43 driver still BSODs. It takes a lot longer, but it still happens. I'm contacting ASUS to get this handled and supposedly it's been "escalated," fingers crossed.

Jaitsu
07-09-2014, 08:48 PM
As of the 5th, it appears that the G750JM has been inducted into Nvidia's Verde program - there is a new driver, version 337.88, on the download page, with a Verde tag in the filename. To the best of my knowledge, getting a Verde driver indicates that Nvidia are aware of the issue and have created an official fix specific to the model, so hopefully this is the last of our troubles, and even more hopefully this means that we don't have to worry about staying on a particular driver set forever.

I've installed the driver and haven't had an issue yet, but I'll be back if it comes back. That said, so far so good - GPU activity indicator flips on and off instantly when it should, no BSODs, no performance derps. Even GPU Tweak appears to be working - seeing 1196 GPU clock with it on, 1084 off.

Thanks to all that helped get ASUS' and Nvidia's attention, it seems to have paid off!

Maxter
07-10-2014, 04:10 PM
This has been previously discussed. It is definitely a driver issue. Some people claim the 340 is stable enough. If this one still causes BSOD, go to the previous version. Only happening to JM versions so far - nVidia should release a new driver hopefully by the end of the month addressing this... it might take more though :-/

karliflan
07-13-2014, 12:23 AM
Having the same issue with a G750JM, and I purchased it ONE day ago. This really does suck. Hopefully it gets addressed soon.

Jaitsu
07-13-2014, 01:13 AM
Having the same issue with a G750JM, and I purchased it ONE day ago. This really does suck. Hopefully it gets addressed soon.

Have you updated to the latest version available on ASUS' support download page? 340.43 is NOT stable with the G750JM, but ASUS' modified 337.88 runs just fine, as far as I can tell. Whether Nvidia's next general driver (after 340.43) will support the G750JM properly remains to be seen.

Jaitsu
07-14-2014, 12:21 AM
...Nope. Issue has returned with the 337.88 driver. Disappointing. *sigh* Back to 332.60, it is.

http://i.imgur.com/0ESc1Rv.png

karliflan
07-15-2014, 06:43 PM
I reset the PC as instructed by ASUS Support and it actually worked... I'm kind of surprised. I tried to replicate the problem several times yesterday and I couldn't ever make it BSOD. Before, I could set my watch by it. All I would have to do was force quit a game running and it would BSOD on me. I'll post more if I have the issue again.

*Edit:
1. Restart PC
2. Tap F9
3. "Troubleshoot"
4. "Reset"

You will lose your personal files, unfortunately. And obviously, there's no knowing if this is a definite fix.

hmscott
07-15-2014, 06:56 PM
I reset the PC as instructed by ASUS Support and it actually worked... I'm kind of surprised. I tried to replicate the problem several times yesterday and I couldn't ever make it BSOD. Before, I could set my watch by it. All I would have to do was force quit a game running and it would BSOD on me. I'll post more if I have the issue again.

*Edit:
1. Restart PC
2. Tap F9
3. "Troubleshoot"
4. "Reset"

You will lose your personal files, unfortunately. And obviously, there's no knowing if this is a definite fix.

karliflan, that reset you back to the original configuration - check your driver versions - it reset/undid all the updates/changes since the G750 came out of the box - you really only needed to back up to the 332.60 version of the Nvidia driver :)

When you go through doing Windows updates - via Microsoft updates and manual updates to current Windows 8.1 drivers downloaded from Asus, make sure to not do an Nvidia driver update, that will bring you back to a current driver, which is causing the crashing - you want to stay on 332.60 for now.

A reset was overkill, but effective :)

Jaitsu
07-16-2014, 01:33 AM
I have been looking into this thread since I bought my G750JM.. researched and tried lots of things and nothing seems to work instead keeping 332.60 driver..

New verde drivers do not work, I also have replaced the 5400rpm HDD for 2x7200rpm in raid0 mode, downloaded a new copy of Windows 8.1 from Microsoft and burned the ISO into a DVD to give it a really new setup (not the recovery backup that is already installed)
problem keeps when using new drivers..

We need to push Asus for a better support on this, maybe also try to report on Nvidia`s website.. a new BIOS release should solve this that seems to be involved on graphics idle state/power consumption controller.. it is really frustrating to have a brand new -and expensive- laptop that present this kind of issue

please lets keep it updated
thank you

I've reported the issue to ASUS directly and got a bit stonewalled by representatives that were absolutely convinced that it was just my unit and I needed an RMA, though I may or may not have finally gotten through to one that said she would have the issue 'passed to the relevant departments,' and that was the last of it. I've also been posting on the Nvidia forums, but there's only so much I can say and so many times I can bump a thread if no one else comments before it starts to seem spammy.

I've also requested that an ASUS staff member comment directly on this thread and got nowhere, unless our "ROG Gurus" are actually staff. Not sure why ASUS would have their own forum if they're going to remain entirely uninvolved, though if these threads get enough attention that it starts making people think twice before buying, maybe they'll notice. :P

karliflan
07-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Haha, I only did what they told me to! I was so over having issues lol. Its still not quite right but its not crashing anymore.

hmscott
07-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Guys, you might try this as an experiment. Run the 340.43 or 337.88 driver but increase the pagefile size to something huge.

I know you all BSOD after 10-15 minutes of gaming on anything but 332.60, but while researching Windows managed pagefile size in another thread it occurred to me this might be the reason for the BSOD's under Windows 8.1 + Intel + Nvidia drivers with memory leaks.

Virtual memory is @ 100% if i run a game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution!
https://communities.intel.com/message/238707#238707

Error when running games: “Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs.”
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-gaming/windows-81-x64-low-memory-while-playing-full/e4602805-a1e1-4704-b006-92f43247b9e8?page=1&tm=1405512200321

I wonder if this is the problem everyone is seeing with newer Nvidia driver versions BSOD'ing - it might actually be a Windows 8.1 memory allocation + Intel + Nvidia new driver memory leak issue.

The threads mention similar crashing, and backing up to an Intel GPU driver from Windows 8 fixes the problem on Windows 8.1. The problem was introduced in the newer Windows 8.1 drivers trying to match memory allocation changes in Windows 8.1.

The thread mentions a 2TB pagefile allows them to run for hours before BSOD...that might not be feasible in the G750, but maybe something much larger than the 32GB pagefile maximum most of you have been running - something like 500GB?

I would try it, but I have a JH...

If you try it, please post your results. :)

Jaitsu
07-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Jaitsu, what is the email/contact person that you talked with? can you add their reply in this post? or did you directly called support?
I am sure if more people start reporting, also with URL of this thread, they will pay more attention and give us a solution, at least a better reply.

I know this seems very simple to solve, keep the old driver, but this driver will not last forever and will not run new games as good as new drivers does, I have watchdogs installed for example and it get randomly graphics glitches.. also as I said, we have spend a quite good amount of money on this kind of machine -ROG series- that sure is one of their top range names on marketing and have lots of development involved. I think we really deserve a more specific and special attention.

I will report to Asus when get time and post the feedback in here.

Well, I don't have an email address, but I have a name.

Dear Stephens,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

We have passed it to the related department, we will try our best to deal with the defects, and come up with a better solution. Thank you for your understanding!

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
http://support.asus.com/servicehome.aspx?SLanguage=en

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate
to contact us.
An email survey will be sent to you within the next 5 days. Please be sure
to rate the service I provided to you today.

Best Regards,
Vivi Zhou
ASUS Product Support Team

Guys, you might try this as an experiment. Run the 340.43 or 337.88 driver but increase the pagefile size to something huge.

I know you all BSOD after 10-15 minutes of gaming on anything but 332.60, but while researching Windows managed pagefile size in another thread it occurred to me this might be the reason for the BSOD's under Windows 8.1 + Intel + Nvidia drivers with memory leaks.

Virtual memory is @ 100% if i run a game at a different resolution than the desktop resolution!
https://communities.intel.com/message/238707#238707

Error when running games: “Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs.”
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1405512200321

I wonder if this is the problem everyone is seeing with newer Nvidia driver versions BSOD'ing - it might actually be a Windows 8.1 memory allocation + Intel + Nvidia new driver memory leak issue.

The threads mention similar crashing, and backing up to an Intel GPU driver from Windows 8 fixes the problem on Windows 8.1. The problem was introduced in the newer Windows 8.1 drivers trying to match memory allocation changes in Windows 8.1.

The thread mentions a 2TB pagefile allows them to run for hours before BSOD...that might not be feasible in the G750, but maybe something much larger than the 32GB pagefile maximum most of you have been running - something like 500GB?

I would try it, but I have a JH...

If you try it, please post your results.

Hmm. I did get a couple of out-of-memory errors waaay back when I first got the thing before my first replacement, but none since, and I've started keeping an eye on Task Manager for clues when I'm expecting a BSOD and haven't seen any suspicious memory usage. And, erm, 500 GB is a bit of a tall order considering that'd fill my entire Data partition alone, which is already two thirds full. XD I can try it with a bigger (but not crazyhuge) pagefile, but I don't think that's the issue in this case.

I'm fairly convinced that the issue in this case is just Optimus failing to power down the GPU when it's not in use - and when the OS detects that the power state change is taking too long, we get a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Because the one universal warning sign of an impending BSOD is the tray icon being stuck in the "on" state while the tooltip displaying "None" in the list of programs using it: http://i.imgur.com/Vwq6Lft.png (screenshot edited because I'm on the 332.60s that don't do it right now)

I'm not sure what the 332.60s do differently; either they cancel the failed IRP and try again, or just have the OS postpone the timeout before it gives up and BSODs. One way or the other, it seems hacky, because I've caught the 332.60 driver getting 'stuck' in a low power state and failing to rev up to the maximum clocks for demanding games, causing performance issues in games.

EDIT: Still BSODing on any driver that isn't 332.60 regardless of page file size.

SEnergy
07-28-2014, 06:47 PM
nvm, doesnt work

Daywhite
08-02-2014, 02:33 PM
I have the G750. I bought mine new about 2 weeks ago and have been getting this error message since i got it.
I haven't read all the posts but this is how i fixed this issue on mine...

1. Uninstalled the drivers for intel HD 4600 and Nvidia GTX 880M.
2. Restart.
3. Re-install the nvidia driver.
4. Don't re-install the Intel one.

Seems it is just simply a conflict of display drivers.

So far this solution has worked for me, i will post again if it does it again.

broadleaf
08-02-2014, 05:27 PM
I have the G750. I bought mine new about 2 weeks ago and have been getting this error message since i got it.
I haven't read all the posts but this is how i fixed this issue on mine...

1. Uninstalled the drivers for intel HD 4600 and Nvidia GTX 880M.
2. Restart.
3. Re-install the nvidia driver.
4. Don't re-install the Intel one.

Seems it is just simply a conflict of display drivers.

So far this solution has worked for me, i will post again if it does it again.

Lol.

Mrblue254
08-04-2014, 06:40 AM
guys just found out that the latest driver gives you the BSOD error... just roll back to 337.88 bcoz it works great.. have not seen that error until i updated to the new driver 340.52.. hope this helps someone..

BenF2409
08-12-2014, 11:50 AM
I too would like a solution to this...soon. 332.60 works fine for me, but any later than that and the error returns. Contacted ASUS, they just said RMA.

swaaye
08-12-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm seeing this BSOD too. It happens occasionally (maybe once per day) in two situations 1) waking from sleep 2) booting into Windows.

I've gone back to the 332.60 ASUS NV driver as suggested here to see if that fixes the problem. I've tried things like cleaning DIMM contacts, 3 hours of memtest86+, cleaning SSD contacts, changing SSD drive bay, installing Intel Rapid Storage, updating Intel IGP driver, and different NV drivers including the recent 340.x one.

Here are my Windows minidump files for anyone who cares. Most are the same, but one mentions the Intel IGP driver and so I updated that driver but it didn't fix the problem.

_
08-13-2014, 03:39 AM
Thank you everyone who has provided mini-dumps of BSODs so far. However Nvidia have requested our users provide a full stack dump, not mini dump, in order to accurately identify the issue. Users can PM me direct with links to full dumps then I can pass on to Nvidia R&D. Please note I only want PMs until 22nd August, please don't provide beyond this date (otherwise I'll get people sending me stuff for months!).

TheIconoclast
08-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Same problem, I am on the 332.60 drivers seems to be the only solution. I thought I found a fix, but no luck. I called Asus today and they were of little help. They only suggested RMA and I referenced them to this thread, the support rep said he didn't know then. I really don't know what to do next as I want a stable functioning notebook as I am starting my third year of college soon. Worse comes to worse I'm selling this laptop and going with MSI.

swaaye
08-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Thank you everyone who has provided mini-dumps of BSODs so far. However Nvidia have requested our users provide a full stack dump, not mini dump, in order to accurately identify the issue. Users can PM me direct with links to full dumps then I can pass on to Nvidia R&D. Please note I only want PMs until 22nd August, please don't provide beyond this date (otherwise I'll get people sending me stuff for months!).

Are you referring to the C:\Windows\memory.dmp file that's about 500MB?

BenF2409
08-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Okay I just had 2 BSODs within 10 minutes of each other yet I'm on 332.60 still...

EDIT: Okay it appears this is a frequent thing that just started, a couple more have happened...I haven't done anything different since before I started getting them.

Jaitsu
08-13-2014, 07:56 PM

Awesome, glad to see an official response to this. Though, uh... Interesting timing, because I think Microsoft may have just jumped in and ninja-fixed this literally yesterday with an update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2983139

However, I'm not holding my breath. I've now updated to the very-very-latest 340.65 (Beta OpenGL) driver, which has shown to BSOD once before installing that Windows Update, and hasn't done it since. Should it occur again, I've set Windows to create full stack dumps, and will submit mine as soon as I have one.

warpkid
08-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Awesome, glad to see an official response to this. Though, uh... Interesting timing, because I think Microsoft may have just jumped in and ninja-fixed this literally yesterday with an update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2983139

However, I'm not holding my breath. I've now updated to the very-very-latest 340.65 (Beta OpenGL) driver, which has shown to BSOD once before installing that Windows Update, and hasn't done it since. Should it occur again, I've set Windows to create full stack dumps, and will submit mine as soon as I have one.

Thanks for headsup. Running Windows Update now. Lets see if it does the job!

Jaitsu
08-13-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm not exactly clear on whether or not Microsoft's update actually fixes the issue, or if it does, if it's just a band-aid. Assuming it doesn't happen again on its own, I can temporarily uninstall the update just to get a full memory dump for the sake of Nvidia R&D fully understanding what's going on here. Still, I am curious as to whether or not it really does fix it; it hasn't been very long yet, but so far so good...

Jaitsu
08-14-2014, 06:54 AM
Okay, so... The bad news is, the Windows Update didn't fix it.

The good news is I now have a shiny new full MEMORY.DMP.

The more-bad news is that it's 12 GB and I have nowhere to upload a file that big.

SO! Um. Anybody know where I can upload a 12 GB memory dump? Otherwise I have a server I use to host some Minecraft files that I could rehost it on until Nvidia downloads it, I guess...

swaaye
08-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Okay, so... The bad news is, the Windows Update didn't fix it.

The good news is I now have a shiny new full MEMORY.DMP.

The more-bad news is that it's 12 GB and I have nowhere to upload a file that big.

SO! Um. Anybody know where I can upload a 12 GB memory dump? Otherwise I have a server I use to host some Minecraft files that I could rehost it on until Nvidia downloads it, I guess...

I PM'ed MarshallR yesterday about details on the dump files he wants and got no response. If you compress that dump with 7zip or Winrar, it should come down to 10-20% of its original size. Mediafire can be used to host big files.

I suggest you password protect + encrypt that archive because memory dumps contain everything that was in RAM and are thus a security risk.

Jaitsu
08-14-2014, 09:28 PM
I PM'ed MarshallR yesterday about details on the dump files he wants and got no response. If you compress that dump with 7zip or Winrar, it should come down to 10-20% of its original size. Mediafire can be used to host big files.

I suggest you password protect + encrypt that archive because memory dumps contain everything that was in RAM and are thus a security risk.

I sent him a link to both an uncompressed and a 7Zip'd archive of my memory dump. Seeing as I can't really control when the BSOD happens (it seems like a dice roll for it to happen, normally up to 20 minutes after exiting a game and usually only after playing it for hours) I can't really keep track of what's running in the background, so hopefully I didn't include anything too compromising, but I'm not too worried, haha. It's buried in my own personal server, I'm not linking it publically, and as long as professionals remain professional I don't have much to worry about.

swaaye
08-18-2014, 06:36 PM
I sent him a link to both an uncompressed and a 7Zip'd archive of my memory dump. Seeing as I can't really control when the BSOD happens (it seems like a dice roll for it to happen, normally up to 20 minutes after exiting a game and usually only after playing it for hours) I can't really keep track of what's running in the background, so hopefully I didn't include anything too compromising, but I'm not too worried, haha. It's buried in my own personal server, I'm not linking it publically, and as long as professionals remain professional I don't have much to worry about.

I sent in a memory dump too now. Yesterday I played a few hours of Dead Space and then tried to switch to Mirror's Edge. Mirror's Edge wouldn't load. I found the process locked up and couldn't kill it. So I tried to log out in Windows and the power state BSOD hit. I was running the 340.x drivers.

I ended up using Google Drive for the 7.2GB 7zip archive.

BenF2409
08-25-2014, 08:35 AM
Okay I'm on 332.60 still and it seems that I'm only getting BSODs when my laptop is in sleep mode, which can be inconvenient. Any further progress made on the issue?

ComputerTech
09-06-2014, 03:28 PM
I just bought a G750jm so should I avoid updating the nvidia driver? it currently has release 332.33 which should be the stock driver. I don't want to face this BSoD issue so please let me know. The most current release nvidia driver is 340.52 is that one safe now?

Jaitsu
09-06-2014, 11:22 PM
I just bought a G750jm so should I avoid updating the nvidia driver? it currently has release 332.33 which should be the stock driver. I don't want to face this BSoD issue so please let me know. The most current release nvidia driver is 340.52 is that one safe now?

I'm... actually not sure if it's just the 332.60 driver that's safe or if it's anything there or older. One way or the other, I'd update to 332.60 and no further for the time being. 340.52 BSODs. Not as often as the other ones, but it does.

And Ben: Are you sure the driver installed properly? 332.60 shouldn't be BSODing at all, I've been using it for the majority of the time since I got my G750JM and it hasn't BSOD'd once running that, not even going in and out of sleep.

Anyway, still waiting on a fix from ASUS/Nvidia... they have our crash dumps, they have all the facts, fingers crossed that this is resolved in the next Nvidia driver.

BenF2409
09-07-2014, 08:10 AM
I'm... actually not sure if it's just the 332.60 driver that's safe or if it's anything there or older. One way or the other, I'd update to 332.60 and no further for the time being. 340.52 BSODs. Not as often as the other ones, but it does.

And Ben: Are you sure the driver installed properly? 332.60 shouldn't be BSODing at all, I've been using it for the majority of the time since I got my G750JM and it hasn't BSOD'd once running that, not even going in and out of sleep.

Anyway, still waiting on a fix from ASUS/Nvidia... they have our crash dumps, they have all the facts, fingers crossed that this is resolved in the next Nvidia driver.

I've uninstalled it with all the other Nvidia bits and reinstalled it several times but it hasn't worked. Not entirely sure why. It used to be fine, only started recently.

SEnergy
09-22-2014, 08:17 PM
okay so I used to have BSOD when I turned off the game, several minutes after that, however I went to nvidia control panel and set preferred graphics processor to the High-performance nvidia processor and I havent seen bsod since then (more than a month)

337.88 from asus website

CĂ©dric
09-23-2014, 03:51 AM
Hi SEnergy ty for update.

Can u tell me wich windows u're running?

Edit:

Hi guys

I've contacted asus few days ago by mail and they gave me a link to dl 337.88. Im using it since about 12h now and no BSOD till now.

I really dont get it: -some guys BSOD on 332.60, i dont
- some guys BSOD on 337.88, i dont
-some guys dont BSOD on 344.11, i do

i'd really like to know where that issue come from..

Edit n°2:

Bsod when i was on twitch.. back again to 332.60

Vachekibri
10-24-2014, 10:36 AM
For me, the latest version 344.48 air to be stable and function properly. A view over time.

Fidd3
10-28-2014, 02:58 PM
As said before SET GTX860M preferred in global settings, nvidia control panel. I have been free from BSOD ever since I changed.
just do it! 344.48 works nicely now :)

CĂ©dric
10-28-2014, 05:56 PM
I tried ur solution and i still BSOD but i have a new kind of error now: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

Fidd3
10-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Latest version of nvidia drivers too?

Vachekibri
11-10-2014, 08:00 PM
I tried ur solution and i still BSOD but i have a new kind of error now: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

I have this error one time and it's cool now. Have got take upgrade??

CĂ©dric
11-11-2014, 05:21 AM
I found a solution to fix bsod once and for all: i sold my JM.

hmscott
11-11-2014, 08:26 AM
I found a solution to fix bsod once and for all: i sold my JM.

CĂ©dric, an inspired solution :)

I hope you enjoy your new G751JY better!

shahbazvs
11-11-2014, 01:08 PM
i'm currently on the latest version from nvidia 344.60 , almost a week and no BSOD's ..no other changes i made . lap working perfectly fine..:)

CĂ©dric
11-11-2014, 03:26 PM
CĂ©dric, an inspired solution :)

I hope you enjoy your new G751JY better!

I'll let you know soon.

RAM-disk
11-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Hi everyone, received my G750 JM a week ago and like pretty much everybody else spend the last 7 days in total frustration. Freezing,crashing
constantly DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE over and over...well , 2 days ago I installed Win7 Ultimate and unbelievably the same problems.So I
did a full factory reset last night, left it running all night with the out of the box factory settings.. all good this morning,started to install programs and windows updates ...all good, then installed Pale moon (fire fox clone) and bang DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. So restart, right click pale moon shortcut, run with graphics processor chose integrated - and there is peace in middle earth again. Been pushing my rig to freeze or crash but so far all is good.
Pale moon had taken over all things Network related ,just right clicking on the wireless icon in the task bar would give me a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. It's also one of the programs I usually install first and so my troubles started right away.

It seems that certain programs have trouble with these hybrid graphics and need to be told what to do. Pale moon seems to be one of them maybe Fire Fox too but I'm sure there are others.

This is probably not the whole story but I hope this helps someone else.

hmscott
11-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone, received my G750 JM a week ago and like pretty much everybody else spend the last 7 days in total frustration. Freezing,crashing
constantly DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE over and over...well , 2 days ago I installed Win7 Ultimate and unbelievably the same problems.So I
did a full factory reset last night, left it running all night with the out of the box factory settings.. all good this morning,started to install programs and windows updates ...all good, then installed Pale moon (fire fox clone) and bang DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. So restart, right click pale moon shortcut, run with graphics processor chose integrated - and there is peace in middle earth again. Been pushing my rig to freeze or crash but so far all is good.
Pale moon had taken over all things Network related ,just right clicking on the wireless icon in the task bar would give me a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. It's also one of the programs I usually install first and so my troubles started right away.

It seems that certain programs have trouble with these hybrid graphics and need to be told what to do. Pale moon seems to be one of them maybe Fire Fox too but I'm sure there are others.

This is probably not the whole story but I hope this helps someone else.

RAM-disk, you say you selected Integrated GPU, but did you also try selecting Nvidia GPU? Does Nvidia GPU cause the crash specifically - or is the crash caused by leaving it on "automatic"?

Also, 344.65 is out, and with each new release from 344.11 most every JM owner says the crash frequency decreases.

The CPU heat goes up by doing rendering on the iGPU instead of the Nvidia GPU - that is why you want to offload all of the GPU processing you can to the Nvidia GPU and off of the Integrated Intel iGPU.

RAM-disk
11-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Yes ,seems to be the automatic setting, I think what is needed is management software - a dedicated folder for games for instance.All contents of that folder would then run thru the Nvidia GPU and all other stuff left for the on board graphics.Or just set offending programs individually.

RAM-disk
11-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Oh , just to be clear, Nvidia selected as default globally, Pale moon selected individually to run on Intel.

Arnas
11-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Hi mates. I wanted to buy g751jm, but it only be available in the middle of the 1st quarter of 2015. I can't wait that much, and I think am gonna buy g750jm. I have a few questions. Does bsod is solved by updating all drivers to latest and enable high performance nvidia in global settings? Does both hard drive bays are capable of sata 3? Does those lines and other screen problems are thing of the past? If hmscott reply me, it would be nice☺. I always dream about Rog notebook☺.

hmscott
11-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Hi mates. I wanted to buy g751jm, but it only be available in the middle of the 1st quarter of 2015. I can't wait that much, and I think am gonna buy g750jm. I have a few questions. Does bsod is solved by updating all drivers to latest and enable high performance nvidia in global settings? Does both hard drive bays are capable of sata 3? Does those lines and other screen problems are thing of the past? If hmscott reply me, it would be nice☺. I always dream about Rog notebook☺.

Arnas, there haven't been any reports of G751JM's crashing, so it might be worth waiting... touch screen, glossy screen, new case design. When the G751 comes out in your area, the prices of the G750JM/JS/JZ might drop too, so that would be worth waiting for as well.

If you can't wait, and can stretch the extra bit for the G750JS model, I would go with that. Even though the crashing of the G750JM has reduced, it seems to still be happening to some, so you should consider you might be one that still gets crashes exiting some games.

It's hard to recommend the G750JM or even the G751JM due to both still using Optimus, and now the G751JT/JT doesn't have Optimus. Maybe take those next 3-4 months and save up enough for the G751JT, or even the JY?

It's up to you, and you might be happy with the G750JM and not crash, but if you can find something else to use between now and the G751 release in your area, I would wait.

Please come back and let us know what you get, and how it works out :)

Arnas
11-17-2014, 05:33 AM
Alright, I think about it.

Arnas
11-17-2014, 03:08 PM
I think am gonna wait those months and strech my budget to g751jt. No dealing with optimus, ips display, powerful 970m card, more stylish case (im my opinion) and no bsod problems. Afer all... it's my hard earned money. Thanks hmscott for your opinion☺.

Phantom3D
11-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Hi, 750jm here, and getting the power_state_errors a few times per day. It was fine for maybe 6 months. My girlfriend has the 750 with 770 card, and no problem. Is this caused by the GFX card? The error seems to come more often when starting or quitting a game. Or turning off the computer after a game. With normal web browsing and work, it works fine. I have of course been through the hassle of a complete re installation. I have also tried different drivers with no luck. As a pro IT Expert I am running out of solutions. I don't like the idea of sending it in for repair either.

Regards

RAM-disk
11-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Driver conflict, revert to the original driver the machine came with. The 860m is notorious for exposing Optimus for what it is (crap).
Google "860m BSOD" it's not just ASUS.
Crash happens when the switching between Intel (browsing,all mundane desktop work) and Nvidia (gaming and other 3D) goes wrong. Newer drivers don't work right.
The G750JM works fine out of the box, it's the driver updates that cause the problems. Try that first.

Phantom3D
11-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the answer.
I might have had one or two BSOD's in the 6 months I have had the computer. But after the latest driverupdate I happens each time after gaming. And when i installed the drivers I had just before that, it still happend. Is this 100% sure driver related?

RAM-disk
11-24-2014, 08:29 PM
When reverting to an older driver make sure you choose custom install and check the clean install check box at the bottom, that way all remnants of the previous driver will be removed. Also do NOT install the NVIDIA experience option, that can cause problems too.

Yenraf
12-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Just my .02 on this after a bunch of reading and testing some things.

I am using a G751JM and was having the BSOD issues like everyone else after running any kind of game. I noticed that someone mentioned that Microsoft tried to address the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE issue with an update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2983139. I looked at my update history and it looks like this was part of an update rollup package (KB2975719) that installed on 12/1/2014.....which happens to be the day that my BSOD problems started. Needless to say that after uninstalling update KB2975719 4 days ago......I have not had a single BSOD error.

I am running the newest Intel (from ASUS support site) and Nvidia drivers (344.75) with Nvidia Experience installed.

YMMV but it seems to have tentatively worked for me. If I start getting BSODs again I will post back

hmscott
12-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Yenraf, this has been going on for a while now, I thought the Black screen of death patch was fixed with a replacement patch, but now you say that replacement patch is causing you BSOD's

Here is the last part of the story I recall:

Microsoft re-releases botched Windows 8.1 Update 2 patch KB 2975719
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2608889/microsoft-windows/microsoft-re-releases-botched-windows-8-1-update-2-patch-kb-2975719.html

Search the ROG archive for both versions of the patch for other postings about them.

Thanks for the heads up on the correlation between 860m BSOD and the KB2975719 replacement patch.

You might feed this back to Asus and Nvidia support as feedback.

usmanm77
12-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Well as for me, the 344.60 is still the best driver after the stock that came with the G750JM. Its has been almost 7 weeks since i installed it and no BSOD's anymore. Even in roughest conditions still no BSOD.
Im glad ive finally found a stable driver that performs properly. Im not installing the 344.75 for now.

Assmuncher
12-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi all. BSODS brought me here. But since I own one of these now I guess I am here to stay (provided I can fix the bsods lol).

I posted on this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48151-Help-new-G750JM-after-geforce-experience-update-to-2-1-gt-gt-gt-BSOD/page10

But I figured I would post here as well since this seems to be more active. I am really hoping some of you guys can give me some input here. Not really sure if I fixed it yet (we'll see).

romantico3pe
12-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Solution fo this bsod is very easy

baimjuvenile
12-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Solution fo this bsod is very easy
can u tell me how to solve it??
please replay

romantico3pe
12-22-2014, 01:03 AM
can u tell me how to solve it??
please replay

Sure, this how i fixed in my girlfriends g750, the problem is caused by your video card driver and windows 8.1 power management. I suggest you go ahead and get the latest NVidia video driver do a clean install of it, but install driver only.( no GeForce experience) after that go to power management settings, advance and make sure pci express (link state power management) is set to OFF. On intel graphics select power to mminimun power savings. Go to nvidia control panel 3d settings and select the default graphics to nvidia. then you wont have any other blue screen. Good luck

RAM-disk
12-22-2014, 04:26 AM
Bazinga! That did not work. 2minutes into PSX2......BSOD.
Back to 332.60.

romantico3pe
12-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Bazinga! That did not work. 2minutes into PSX2......BSOD.
Back to 332.60.

Are u sure you followed exactly what i said. Because i have done the samething in 3 computers and they havent have any bsod anymore

baimjuvenile
12-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Sure, this how i fixed in my girlfriends g750, the problem is caused by your video card driver and windows 8.1 power management. I suggest you go ahead and get the latest NVidia video driver do a clean install of it, but install driver only.( no GeForce experience) after that go to power management settings, advance and make sure pci express (link state power management) is set to OFF. On intel graphics select power to mminimun power savings. Go to nvidia control panel 3d settings and select the default graphics to nvidia. then you wont have any other blue screen. Good luck

romatico3pe, thx for reply, but i did my own way, by disabling windows update after i uninstalled kb2975719, and untill now, i don't had any BSOD anymor, but i will pst, if i has 1, and i using 332.60 nvidia driver (driver stock for my G750JM)
thx for help :)

baimjuvenile
12-26-2014, 05:06 AM
romatico3pe, thx for reply, but i did my own way, by disabling windows update after i uninstalled kb2975719, and untill now, i don't had any BSOD anymor, but i will pst, if i has 1, and i using 332.60 nvidia driver (driver stock for my G750JM)
thx for help :)

it's ****ING happen again :mad: it's really piss me off

RAM-disk
01-04-2015, 01:00 AM
I don't think there will ever be a fix for this, looks like ASUS has abandoned all of us JM owners.
This is really pissing me off, so next weekend I'll be checking out the local stores ( no more on line shopping,
apparently we are now expected to ship our units to and fro until we get a good one... that's one that actually works as advertised ).

This one, I'll probably just throw it of the roof. Watching it hit the ground and burst into pieces will be the most enjoyment from
this piece of junk since day one.

Get it together ASUS, you just lost another longtime customer.

RAM-disk
01-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Before I leave, here is a patch of sorts to ease everyone's suffering, not a fix just a patch.

1. Download the latest Intel 4600 driver from the Intel site (don't use the ASUS driver) install the driver, it will refuse ...something about not compatible blah blah blah... F.ck it install thru device manager using the Have Disk option.

2. Download the latest Realtek HD audio driver from the Realtek site (do not use the ASUS driver) Install,reboot.

3. Download latest Nvidia driver 347.09 in my case. Unzip driver to Desktop, open driver folder and delete these 4 folders :

Display.NView, GfExperienceService, Miracast.VirtualAudio and ShieldWirelessController.(you'll have to do this with all drivers down the road)

Install your modified driver as admin, clean install driver only. Reboot, done.

This gives me 332.60 equivalent stability but better frame rates.

This should work for most of you since mine is probably the most f'd up rig around.

And with that I'm outa here.

dav.simonyan
02-02-2015, 06:42 AM
Hi, this BSOD error occurs only when playing the games or randomly? Today I am planned to buy ASUS G750 with GTX860m but willing to use it mainly for work(with 100% CPU usage and 12-16GB RAM usage), will be it safe to buy this notebook if I am not planning to play a games?

hmscott
02-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Hi, this BSOD error occurs only when playing the games or randomly? Today I am planned to buy ASUS G750 with GTX860m but willing to use it mainly for work(with 100% CPU usage and 12-16GB RAM usage), will be it safe to buy this notebook if I am not planning to play a games?

dav.simonyan, if you aren't planning to play games, why get such a fat notebook with a heavy duty build to support the high-end GPU?

There are plenty of Haswell i7 notebooks, really nice thin and light builds, that will do the same CPU work as the G750.

If you intend on doing rendering, or some other GPU work, then you will likely run across the BSOD's just like running a game. It is the GPU usage that causes the problem, the games angle is mostly because that is how users that buy a ROG Laptop use it.

If you want a newer slimmer version of the G750, take a look at the G751JT with the 970m. The G751JT is only $150 more than a G751JM with an 860m and Optimus (yipe!) - the G751JT has a 970m :)

Again, if you only want a high end CPU, and not the GPU, there are far better choices out there :)

dav.simonyan
02-02-2015, 09:34 AM
hmscott, thanks for your replay!

I decided to buy ASUS G750 or G751 because of dual fans, 4 ram slots and 2 HDD slots(with easy steps for upgrade rams and HDD/SSD-s) + 17.3" screen is better for writing a code. Also I will play games from times to times but mainly I want to buy it for work(programming). Regarding design, I like it and heaviness is not a problem for me. Regarding the price, in my country almost every notebook's price is much higher than in US, for example between Haswell i7 notebooks I can choose between:

1. HP ENVY 15 j002er - 1210$
15,6" (1920x1080) Full HD Anti - Glare / Intel Core i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz) / 12GB RAM DDR3 (1600MHz) / 1TB HDD (5400RPM) / nVidia GeForce GT 740M / No ODD / Bluetooth / WebCam / Wi-Fi / 2,45Kg / Silver / Windows 8 - 64bit

2. Lenovo IdeaPad Y50-70 - 1380$
15.6" (1920x1080) / Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz) / 8GB RAM DDR3 (1600MHz) / 1TB HDD + 8GB SSD / nVIDIA GeForce GT 860M 2GB / No ODD / Bluetooth / WebCam / 2,4Kg / Black / Windows 8.1

3. Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p - 1255$
15,6" (1920x1080) Full HD Anti - Glare / Intel Core i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz) / 8GB RAM DDR3 (1600MHz) / 1TB HDD (5400RPM) + 8GB SSD / nVIDIA GeForce GT 755 2GB / DVD/RW / Bluetooth / WebCam / Wi-Fi / 2,7Kg / Black / Windows 8.1

4. Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 - 1130$
17,3" (1920x1080) Full HD / Intel Core i7-4700MQ (3.4GHz) / 8GB RAM DDR3 (1600MHz) / 1TB HDD (5400RPM) + 8GB / nVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2GB / DVD/RW / Bluetooth / WebCam / Wi-Fi / 2,9Kg / Brown / Windows 8

5. ASUS G750JS-T4052H - 2390$
17.3" (1920x1080) Full HD Anti - Glare / Intel Core i7-4700HQ (2.4 GHz) / RAM 16 GB / HDD 1 TB + SSD 256 GB / nVidia GeForсe GTX 870M, 3 GB

and the G750jm with 16GB ram/GTX860m/256GB SSD + 1TB HDD I can buy for 1690$ and compared with the other variants it seems a good deal, of course if I can work without problems with BSOD. Also I can choose an G751JM model by the same price, the only difference except i7 4710 cpu is that it have 2x1TB HDD instead of 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(also the IPS screen). I will run VM's on it that's why I think G750m with SSD will be better choise. But if G751 will be more stable in case of BSOD errors I will prefer that. Please write what do yo think. Which one I should prefer.

P.S. >take a look at the G751JT with the 970m

Here the best model is with GTX 870m and the difference between G751 with GTX860m and G751 with GTX 870m is 700$ :)

dav.simonyan
02-02-2015, 11:35 AM
One more question, as I understand the problem of BSOD appears only when GTX 860m gpu was used, is it possible to disable GTX 860m when necessary and use Intel HD4600? If yes, will it fix BSOD issues?

Azrael_Manatheren
02-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? And if not, has ASUS been helpful in replacing the laptop?

SHADO
02-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? And if not, has ASUS been helpful in replacing the laptop?

How many times are you going to ask the exact same question about the exact same issue?

Once is sufficient.

Azrael_Manatheren
02-03-2015, 03:16 PM
I asked on different threads. And different forums. But I am going to assume from your unhelpful reply the answer is no.

On another note. I dont mean to be an ass. I just use this thing for everything and the fact that it is breaking is really disheartening.

Usernamealreadyinuse
04-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Hey guys,

I've just registered to say I found a solution on the web that fixed the issue for me and at least the thread starter :
http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/34653-bsod-windows-8-1-latest-nvidia-driver.html#post490186

Simply put, uninstalling pre-installed Asus softwares helped. Cf link for more important details, my post is the last one as of now, under luTin pseudo. All the other solutions i tried during hours did not help.

it's on an brand new ASUS N751JK-T4204H with GTX850m on, Nvidia 344.88 (never tried older drivers since I did not consider it a solution)
BSOD was DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

I hope it helps,
Best,

Mantis187
04-03-2015, 07:51 PM
make sure your laptop ALWAYS runs off of the NVIDIA GPU, do not allow it to use NVIDIA optimus (i.e. auto select) problem fixed. The BSOD happens (to me anyways) when auto select is on. The GPU and AGPU (i.e. NVIDIA OPTIMUS) runs back and forth choosing what GPU to use according to temps and GPU load. Disabling the auto select feature and just allowing the NVIDIA GPU to run keeps this issue from happening. I had to mess with it countless hours in order to get it working right. But it allowed me to use newest drivers and have no issues. Hope this helps!

RAM-disk
04-04-2015, 06:27 PM
NVIDIA needs to put a simple ON/OFF software switch in to their drivers. Optimus on or Optimus off.The present setup does not work reliably.
Need to be able to turn it completely off.

Usernamealreadyinuse
04-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Hey guys, I have bad news :
I had two BSOD since my last message, so we had to RMA a few days ago because I didn't have time anymore to take care of the computer since it was not mine, I had to leave town. I wish I had time to combine my (borrowed) solution with some others I've seen on the internet people say it worked for them. As for my comp, NVIDA card was forced 'on' all the time after I applied the solution, and yet BSOD appeared again, so that was not helping for me, maybe for others. I wish i had tried the contrary, forcing it off, but I really ran out of time to troubleshoot again the comp (use it for hours on battery only and wait for the BSOD to happen; the BSOD would only happen when on battery only in my case)

gl,

rob54613
04-11-2015, 08:57 AM
I had the same issue with my n550lf but that was a problem I caused with overclocking. Every time optimus switched from integrated to dedicated it would blue screen driver power failure. Since then I down graded from windows 8 to 7 on it and had no problems.

I don't use it much anymore but from use it hasn't happened since. Would be interesting to see if for me it was just windows 8 NVidia drivers or I was just lucky.

RAM-disk
04-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Just tried the new ASUS driver 347.52 right from the ASUS support site and guess what, 3 BSOD one after another. This is unbelievable, all I can do at this point is shake my head.

Back to 332.60 the only one that works for me.

AjithPoison
05-02-2015, 02:45 AM
Hey guys..i m a new user... i own a g750jm .... i am experiencing some serious problems... when i power on my g750jm, a bsod error occurs saying that VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR ...i didnt know what to do..so i googled and found some solutions..but apparently non e of them worked..i tried reinstallinng drivers in safe mode...it didnt work...then i tried refreshing my g750jm....it didnt work...and then i had to reset my entire g750jm to stock factory mode...so i performed a reset...it didnt work ...i even updated the bios and tried resetting again...it didnt work...whatever i do,i still get that bsod fatal error.....i need help guys...seriously.... i am confused now...any help would be appreciated..please help me out....

hmscott
05-02-2015, 05:41 AM
Hey guys..i m a new user... i own a g750jm .... i am experiencing some serious problems... when i power on my g750jm, a bsod error occurs saying that VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR ...i didnt know what to do..so i googled and found some solutions..but apparently non e of them worked..i tried reinstallinng drivers in safe mode...it didnt work...then i tried refreshing my g750jm....it didnt work...and then i had to reset my entire g750jm to stock factory mode...so i performed a reset...it didnt work ...i even updated the bios and tried resetting again...it didnt work...whatever i do,i still get that bsod fatal error.....i need help guys...seriously.... i am confused now...any help would be appreciated..please help me out....

AjithPoison, did the problem happen right after the reset back to the out of the box configuration - before any Windows updates / driver updates?

Some G750JM's won't run on anything other than 332.60 or before version, which version are you running?

If it is doing this right after the reset, before any other changes, then you should report it to Asus for debugging. You have done all the testing you can, and let them know what you have done in the Technical Inquiry text.

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, file a technical Inquiry.

If you are still in the return period, it's quicker to swap it for a new one at the seller, give that a shot first.

If you can, get Asus to upgrade you to a G750JS, to get out of the 860m realm - that particular G750JM 860m has more problems with Nvidia drivers and BSOD's that it should. Ask nicely for Asus to get you something else.

Please come back and let us know how it works out. :)

4bluedog
06-03-2015, 06:53 PM
I've got a solution:
1. get rid of Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers width Display Driver Uninstaler (in safe mode)
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
2. download latest Intel GPU drivers for HD 4600 and install it
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2% 84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4600
3. reboot
4. download latest Nvidia drivers for GTX 860M and install it
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/85819/en-us
4. reboot and have fun!!! :)

intensivevirus
06-24-2015, 11:30 PM
so how do i fix this issue? I just installed the new update for nvidia a week ago and i've gotten two BSOD's. can someone email me on how to fix this? i'm not to savy. i usually get all my info off of YT. lol