PDA

View Full Version : What is one thing that you like the most & dislike/detest about your ROG G750?

Don^Neo
06-18-2014, 01:53 AM
Nearly two months since I am enjoying my G750. Thought to reflect back a little.

1 thing I like the most - You get what you pay for. Full stop (well, almost).

1 thing I dislike/detest - The HDD/RAM cover's fake copper lookalike paint. Or, at least I thing it is paint. Honestly, on a $2500 performance laptop I would have expected real copper really. Like, for example, the upgrade they made on the fan heatsink piping.

Jot down yours.

With Regards,
Don^Neo

hmscott
06-18-2014, 02:21 AM
About my G750JH-DB71

Like most: It doesn't have Optimus :)

Detest: I can't upgrade to a future G750 that is non-Optimus :(

I guess that Detest doesn't come into play until the next generation of Nvidia card in the next generation G750, but it is on my mind... I hope I don't need to go to another make to get a non-Optimus laptop...

BIOHAZARD9519
06-18-2014, 03:19 AM
My G750JS-DS71

I like: Optimus, cooling with quiet fans, overclock, design (like LinusTechTips said, no crazy lights that scream "OMG I'M HIGH PERFORMANCE"), keyboards, large trackpad WITH BUTTONS, battery life (close to 8 hours in class), ROG badge ;)

Don't like: Fingerprint magnet, no easy way to clean the fans, sound and display could be better.

So far, I would most likely go with ROG again in the future.

BIOHAZARD9519
06-18-2014, 03:24 AM
I hope I don't need to go to another make to get a non-Optimus laptop...

It is cool what MSI did with their upcoming GT72 laptops, apparently it has a dedicated button to turn on/off optimus.

hmscott
06-18-2014, 03:32 AM
It is cool what MSI did with their upcoming GT72 laptops, apparently it has a dedicated button to turn on/off optimus.

BIOHAZARD9519, interesting, I wonder how they implemented that... afaik if you have Optimus your video comes out of the Intel GPU , heating up the CPU!, even if the rendering is done on the GTX card.

In order to implement an actual kill switch on the Intel GPU video and swap over to the GTX video out, you would need a crossbar video switch - and then how would you implement the software driver(s) switchover - without rebooting?

The only idea I had so far was to find, or custom build, a 120hz screen laptop - since Optimus won't support more than 60hz, it would need to be built with the Intel GPU connections cut off, and the Nvidia GPU video output would be exclusively used - like the G750JW/JX/JH.

I don't need a 3D screen, but that would be less objectionable than Optimus :)

Can you please post some URL's on how MSI did the switch?

BIOHAZARD9519
06-18-2014, 05:28 AM
Skip to 1:28. I take it with a grain of salt because I haven't found any confirmation in words that this exists yet.

http://youtu.be/75CAqeoofJ4

hmscott
06-18-2014, 05:36 AM
Skip to 1:28. I take it with a grain of salt because I haven't found any confirmation in words that this exists yet. http://youtu.be/75CAqeoofJ4

BIOHAZARD9519, thanks, that's pretty cool, I wonder what the other buttons do? :)

Let's hope it is a video switcher in front of the Intel/Nvidia video outputs, and a real Intel GPU kill switch.

Then we can run Nvidia on AC, and Intel on battery, and get what we really want - no dumb-ass tweaking to get our apps/games to run on Nvidia all the time on AC - that should also make Windows / IE use Nvidia on AC too.

Let's hope Asus takes back their early lead with the G750 series being non-Optimus, with a similar arrangement :)

Looks like lots of G72 info just got uploaded... buttons do stuff, not out till Oct, still has Haswell / 880m so nothing really new except the Optimus switch off - has 2 DisplayPort outputs out the back - I wonder if one is Intel output and one is the switched output... here is the BIOS page setting for Integrated Graphics or Switchable Graphics:

The only other thing I found of interest, is this previously unannounced Killer N1525 Wireless AC/BT controller !
Wireless Killer N1525 Combo (2*2 a/c)+BT4.0 M.2 type

Come on Asus, release switchable graphics, or better, soon! :)

BIOHAZARD9519
06-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Come on Asus, release switchable graphics, or better, soon! :)

Yes please!