PDA

View Full Version : Audio and Video Problem with HDMI cable output (G53sw)

ristaag99
06-19-2014, 04:26 AM
Hey guys,

Ive had my asus laptop for a good 3 years now and could never get it to work with an HDMI cable before, and only recently did i actually have to make it work which is why i'm waiting this long to seek help.

Before updating the nvidia drivers my laptop never properly detected the HDMI cable which is attached to an hdtv. after updating (06/08/2014) it now actually detecs it and so does nvidia control panel, however it still doesn't work properly.

i've tried everything from switching monitors and changing resolutions. Now the best i can get to is having the audio assigned to the tv but can't actually hear anything (just some clicking noises) but no video at all.

tried different cables and also another tv but to no avail.

Any solutions? trying to play dark souls 2 on a tv (console gamers be damned !!)

ristaag99
06-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Any help?

ristaag99
02-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Still have the problem guys.

cl-Albert
02-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Hi, not sure if you can try these things easily, but below are some ideas if you're interested and hopefully we can get some better ideas.

1. Check your G53SW with an HDMI monitor if you haven't already just to make sure this works at least.
2. Check the HDMI display while you are in the bios (use Fn+F8 if necessary) or safe mode.
3. Make sure a different system works with the HDMI cable and TV/monitor you are using to help confirm the equipment and steps are correct (G53SW-A1_16G's post below reminded me about this to give proper credit).

Although I don't have a G53SW to check into it more, if it's like our other models, the steps to do the things above should be similar to a standard vga monitor which you may also want to compare with to make sure the steps are correct to output to an HDMI monitor/display.

Good luck!

G53SW-A1_16G
02-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Hi ristaag99,

I have the same model as well, but I've never had any issues with the HDMI connection. (either with an external monitor or a TV.)
I don't use the HDMI frequently but on occasion have so, and it seems to work fine (both video + audio switching).
My exact model is the G53SW-A1. The HDMI connection worked with all of the NVIDIA drivers (as far as i can remember).

The only other ideas i have (except from Alberts) is to check the "other end" for a possible problem.

Meaning, check your TV with any other HDMI devices - to see if the TV connection works first.
If it doesn't, then the TV is the problem and not your laptop.
If it works, then maybe try another HDMI port on your TV, it could be any kind of issue (i am not that familiar with these types of problems).

Also, instead of using the classic Fn+F8 for output switching, while you're in Windows (tested on Win 7), try using the key combo "Win Key" + P.
Once pressed, windows will pop-up a small window, with 4 options: Computer only, Duplicate, Extend, Projector only.
Just select any of them to see if it works like that.

But beware, i don't know, when you select "Projector only" and nothing pops up on your TV, and your laptop screen goes "blank",
if it will come back to the laptop after a while. At that point you may want to use the Fn+F8 option to bring back your output to laptop display.

Sometimes, it could be that the HDMI connector doesn't "sit" well in the connection of either device.
You can also try to connect each end firmly. This had happened to me a few times (from what i remember). I simply unplugged the HDMI from the laptop and plug it back in to fix this.

P.S. I seriously doubt that the G53SW HDMI connection is damaged, although it is not exactly impossible.

Other than that, i am sorry but i cannot help you much more!

Hope you find it!

C4RN1
02-06-2015, 09:20 PM
My fiancee's laptop (asus x401a) has the same problem as you do, it also has the asus factory image on it with windows 8.1 upgraded. I haven't tried to fix this problem because I have 6 other laptops in the house that can connect to the tv (I'll try to solve her issue and let you know). I have a x501a (same motherboard as the x401a) that worked fine with the factory image so I don't know what could really cause this issue. I would bet it's a corrupt driver that doesn't get fully removed when you update the drivers.

If I were you I would backup all of the data you want saved and do a fresh install of windows. Then after everything loads update the chipset driver and restart.
After you restart install the Network (both wifi and lan), Audio drivers (both), and display driver (get it straight from nvidia).

Once you have all the basic devices installed go and install the keyboard drivers (atk and kb filter), usb 3.0 (if you have it) and install the rest of the odd programs like lifeframe and power4gear.

If you have any devices that aren't installed by now you'll have to report back here and let us know. Usually it's the media card driver that's left over.

This would be the only way I know how to fix the problem, you could dig around in the registry and find the value that's possibly causing the issue but that's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

If you don't want to do a fresh install then just do a system recovery to see if the asus recovery image has the same issue. On my fiancee's laptop the problem still remains after a system recovery. I'm going to try to fix her issue and if I figure it out I'll let you know.

ristaag99
02-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Thanks for your responses guys.

But i've pretty much tried all those solutions before and none worked which is why i'm thinking it has to be a hardware issue.