PDA

View Full Version : Asus Gaming Laptop cooling fan advice

cheito3
06-21-2014, 02:36 AM
Hello, i own a Asus G750JW gaming laptop and i was wondering which cooler would fit it better. Thanks in advance.

Darnassus
06-21-2014, 04:30 AM
Cooler? You mean.. like a cooling pad / chill matt?

You want something that can take 17-19 inch laptops. Though I have a 17 inch, it's veeery snug, with about 5mm overhanging the sides which I like. Making it look like it's not even there.

Asus_G72GX
06-21-2014, 08:05 AM
Don't waste money on this cooler pads it's full rubbish. I tested CoolerMaster Notepal U3 for 17 inch with 3 fans (external fan speed control wheel), and the temperature remained the same as with out this stand. Even on G72GX the temperature remained the same. Maybe CoolerMaster Notepal X3/Thermaltake Massive 23 will make difference on 1-2 C but they does not make sence on this price. And note that with these stands it becomes uncomfortable to look on screen as it levels upper on vision level.

cheito3
06-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Don't waste money on this cooler pads it's full rubbish. I tested CoolerMaster Notepal U3 for 17 inch with 3 fans (external fan speed control wheel), and the temperature remained the same as with out this stand. Even on G72GX the temperature remained the same. Maybe CoolerMaster Notepal X3/Thermaltake Massive 23 will make difference on 1-2 C but they does not make sence on this price. And note that with these stands it becomes uncomfortable to look on screen as it levels upper on vision level. But, ive notices that my laptop doesnt lift very much from any surface that i put it on, i mean, its too close to the table, maybe this will make it hard for it to get air, and of course is even worse when its on a bed or a surface like that, i always put my phone or something under the front of my laptop just in case because i seriuosly see it too low.. you sure this doesnt affect the cooling system?

hmscott
06-21-2014, 03:40 PM
But, ive notices that my laptop doesnt lift very much from any surface that i put it on, i mean, its too close to the table, maybe this will make it hard for it to get air, and of course is even worse when its on a bed or a surface like that, i always put my phone or something under the front of my laptop just in case because i seriuosly see it too low.. you sure this doesnt affect the cooling system?

cheito3, that is the real benefit of a laptop cooling pad, to provide a firm surface to sit on. The JH/JZ have tall bottom feet holding up the laptop, but the JW/JX/JM/JS have shallow lift, so can benefit from being raised up.

A simple wooden board, a coffee table book, or an inexpensive passive laptop pad large enough to hold up the laptop firmly are just as effective as an expensive multi-fan pad.

Hitchy
06-22-2014, 08:41 AM
I do not agree with ypu guys when u say the cooling pad does not benefit the temps. I ve got a Zalman, and i ve tested it many times (with and without) and I assure you on max speed i get not less than 4 or 5C drop on temps.
It also helps in term of stable surface keeping a good flow of air for my JW base!

I definetly recommend getting a Zalma 17' (even though mine is a 15' but it does the job with no prob ;))

hmscott
06-22-2014, 09:06 AM
I do not agree with ypu guys when u say the cooling pad does not benefit the temps. I ve got a Zalman, and i ve tested it many times (with and without) and I assure you on max speed i get not less than 4 or 5C drop on temps.
It also helps in term of stable surface keeping a good flow of air for my JW base!

I definetly recommend getting a Zalma 17' (even though mine is a 15' but it does the job with no prob ;))

Hitchy, that would be great, I haven't found one that made any difference to the cooling over lifting it off soft surfaces. There are quite a few Zalman 15"/17" models, which 15" do you have, and which 17" do you recommend?

Hitchy
06-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Hitchy, that would be great, I haven't found one that made any difference to the cooling over lifting it off soft surfaces. There are quite a few Zalman 15"/17" models, which 15" do you have, and which 17" do you recommend?

So I ve got the ZM NC-1000 for 15' which as i said does the job just right. For instance i made the test right now while answering you : my temp on idle was about 46 C when I started the Zalman and as you can see it dropped until around 42 on the screen shot (now it s even hitting 40). And this is on max level fans.38023
So my advice on the model would be the ZM NC-2000 which comes with compatibility up to 20 inch screens (from Google)

N.B: my temp is now 39 so It dropped from 46 stable to 39 stable on max level , that's a 7C gain.

hmscott
06-22-2014, 10:13 AM
So I ve got the ZM NC-1000 for 15' which as i said does the job just right. For instance i made the test right now while answering you : my temp on idle was about 46 C when I started the Zalman and as you can see it dropped until around 42 on the screen shot (now it s even hitting 40). And this is on max level fans.38023
So my advice on the model would be the ZM NC-2000 which comes with compatibility up to 20 inch screens (from Google)

N.B: my temp is now 39 so It dropped from 46 stable to 39 stable on max level , that's a 7C gain.

Hitchy, nice :)

I am a fan of no fan noise, what is the effect of just using the pad without fan, vs the laptop on the desk - does raising it up with the pad without an active fan help at all?

You posted the GPU temp, which is great, does the CPU temp drop too?

I will check it out sometime soon on my JH :)

Hitchy
06-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Hitchy, nice :)

I am a fan of no fan noise, what is the effect of just using the pad without fan, vs the laptop on the desk - does raising it up with the pad without an active fan help at all?

You posted the GPU temp, which is great, does the CPU temp drop too?

I will check it out sometime soon on my JH :)

Haha everything comes with a price... In fact i will try to dress a description of all situations :

1- Using the Zalman as a stable surface with OFF fans :
* Temps : GPU / CPU noting noticeable (in fact i can't say since i always put the Zalman Under my JW)
* Noise : guess what... :) nothing of course

2- Using the Zalman as a stable surface with ON fans @minimum level (idle / browsing internet)
*Temps : on GPU Slight gain of -2 to -3 C (from 44 to 42). On CPU : can't really say using Intel XTU lot of fluctuation for the cores from 45 to 48. That s why i prefer referring to the GPU temps as test since they'r more stable than CPU temps.
*Noise : Its quite relative let me explain why : Yes you can hear a bit the Zalman fans @ this level but this is compared to the extreme silent solution in the G750 laptops. For exemple I had an HP laptop before using the same cooling Pad and the Zalman was less Noisy than the laptop when fans were on minimum.

3- Using the Zalman as a stable surface with ON fans @maximum level (idle / browsing internet)
*Temps : on GPU huge gain from 46 to 39 C (that's -7c). on CPU once again difficult to say due to constant fluctuations but i noticed something like : from 46-48 to 44-46.
*Noise : Yes a bit Noisy for the iddle/browsing but in general u won't go to the maximum for this type of usage. I only use the max fans level when gaming and with the music and sounds effect you hardly notice the noise while gaming. But as I said the good temps gain from cooling pad has a slight drawback from noise... but this is life :)

I still wanna post a last test situation which is @max level while gaming, for that i ll update my post later.

Hope this helped

hmscott
06-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Haha everything comes with a price... In fact i will try to dress a description of all situations :

1- Using the Zalman as a stable surface with OFF fans :
* Temps : GPU / CPU noting noticeable (in fact i can't say since i always put the Zalman Under my JW)
* Noise : guess what... :) nothing of course

2- Using the Zalman as a stable surface with ON fans @minimum level (idle / browsing internet)
*Temps : on GPU Slight gain of -2 to -3 C (from 44 to 42). On CPU : can't really say using Intel XTU lot of fluctuation for the cores from 45 to 48. That s why i prefer referring to the GPU temps as test since they'r more stable than CPU temps.
*Noise : Its quite relative let me explain why : Yes you can hear a bit the Zalman fans @ this level but this is compared to the extreme silent solution in the G750 laptops. For exemple I had an HP laptop before using the same cooling Pad and the Zalman was less Noisy than the laptop when fans were on minimum.

3- Using the Zalman as a stable surface with ON fans @maximum level (idle / browsing internet)
*Temps : on GPU huge gain from 46 to 39 C (that's -7c). on CPU once again difficult to say due to constant fluctuations but i noticed something like : from 46-48 to 44-46.
*Noise : Yes a bit Noisy for the iddle/browsing but in general u won't go to the maximum for this type of usage. I only use the max fans level when gaming and with the music and sounds effect you hardly notice the noise while gaming. But as I said the good temps gain from cooling pad has a slight drawback from noise... but this is life :)

I still wanna post a last test situation which is @max level while gaming, for that i ll update my post later.

Hope this helped

Thanks Hitchy :)

The only thing that comes to mind for me, is that the JW/JX/JH seem to regulate their temps ok on their own... they don't get too hot even under long term load - and I don't feel the need for additional cooling... you already had the pad, so I understand why you would want to put it to use, but for me, even when running heavy CUDA jobs with 100% GPU and 100% CPU, I don't have temps that worry me - so I don't find the need for it.

But, with the temps the JM/JS/JZ are seeing, I guess this would be helpful to them, more than me and you.

As long as you have it, you might as well enjoy it :)