PDA

View Full Version : G750JH T4129H BSOD's during initial install

SunstormGT
06-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone,

Jus today I recieved my ROG G750JH T4129H notebook. During the initial install I am getting BSOD's every minute. I cannot even complete the install...

I am getting the next errors in the BSOD's:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
PFN_List_corrupt
Another one with SYS in the name (was too late to make picture with smartphone)

Should i send this notebook back to the shop or can I still fix it?

I cannot make any backup or thry to install other drivers as the BSOD's come so rapidly and come even when I am only watching the startup screen.

Greetz,
Danny

hmscott
06-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Hello everyone,
Jus today I recieved my ROG G750JH T4129H notebook. During the initial install I am getting BSOD's every minute. I cannot even complete the install...
I am getting the next errors in the BSOD's:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
PFN_List_corrupt
Another one with SYS in the name (was too late to make picture with smartphone)
Should i send this notebook back to the shop or can I still fix it?
I cannot make any backup or thry to install other drivers as the BSOD's come so rapidly and come even when I am only watching the startup screen.
Greetz,
Danny

Danny, sounds like it could be a hardware problem, maybe something came loose during shipping. You could try hitting Fn+F9 - hold down the Fn Key and keep pressing F9 during power up to see if reinstalling the OS from the recovery partition works, just in case the OS install is hosed, but it is an outside chance, you likely need to take it back and swap for another new one.

You can download the pdf manual here (english)
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G750JH/E_eManual_G750JH_VER7859.pdf

Or, for another language go here and select the one you need:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JH&hashedid=hadqiWUmqVj4iNX5

Notebook PC E-Manual page 85/86 Using System Image Recovery
Under Advanced options, you can use System Image Recovery to recover your system using your Notebook PC’s original image file.

SunstormGT
06-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Ok thank you I will try that.

Just to be clear about my problem, the BSOD's are not instant. Sometimes I can watch the W8 login screen for about a minute before I get the BSOD. I wait while doing nothing on the laptop then.

hmscott
06-21-2014, 10:46 PM
Ok thank you I will try that.

Just to be clear about my problem, the BSOD's are not instant. Sometimes I can watch the W8 login screen for about a minute before I get the BSOD. I wait while doing nothing on the laptop then.

Do you have any errors showing in the Device Manager? yellow triangles, or?

What does your Windows Event Log => System or Application show? IDK if you have enough time to look...

If it is a loose SODIMM, you could open the back panel, and see if re-seating the memory visible there helps... if it is a loose SODIMM under the keyboard, I don't recommend opening up the top to check - it voids the warranty to open the top to access those memory slots.

SunstormGT
06-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Do you have any errors showing in the Device Manager? yellow triangles, or?

What does your Windows Event Log => System or Application show? IDK if you have enough time to look...

If it is a loose SODIMM, you could open the back panel, and see if re-seating the memory visible there helps... if it is a loose SODIMM under the keyboard, I don't recommend opening up the top to check - it voids the warranty to open the top to access those memory slots.
When I login with my MS account I always get an error. In other words if I try to load windows. Its impossible to get into windows at all. Even in safe mode...

Is was not planning to open the memory slots because it indeed voids the warranty. If I look up the error it says it is most likely the SODIMM and with the info i got here I'm almost sure one of them is loose.

Does the laptop have 2x 16GB SODIMM of 1x 32GB? If its only 1 it can't be loose right? Then I shouldn't be able to start up anything right?

hmscott
06-22-2014, 10:22 AM
When I login with my MS account I always get an error. In other words if I try to load windows. Its impossible to get into windows at all. Even in safe mode...

Is was not planning to open the memory slots because it indeed voids the warranty. If I look up the error it says it is most likely the SODIMM and with the info i got here I'm almost sure one of them is loose.

Does the laptop have 2x 16GB SODIMM of 1x 32GB? If its only 1 it can't be loose right? Then I shouldn't be able to start up anything right?

There are 4 SODIMM slots. 2 can be accessed easily, if you are lucky the loose one is there :)

The other 2 slots can only be accessed by pulling the screen and hinging up the keyboard deck, from the screen side - yeah, what a great design idea :)

Here is a video on how to pop the bottom access panel to access the memory slots - start at 1:50:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qvoaWsM_w

You can use CPU-Z, the SPD tab, to see what each slot has in it.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I would unseat the SODIMM's, and carefully replace them, pushing them down into the socket, then poping them into the retaining springs. Make sure to remove power and the battery before pulling the memory to re-seat it.

Hopefully that will solve the problem :)

SunstormGT
06-22-2014, 10:32 AM
There are 4 SODIMM slots. 2 can be accessed easily, if you are lucky the loose one is there :)

The other 2 slots can only be accessed by pulling the screen and hinging up the keyboard deck, from the screen side - yeah, what a great design idea :)

Here is a video on how to pop the bottom access panel to access the memory slots - start at 1:50:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qvoaWsM_w

You can use CPU-Z, the SPD tab, to see what each slot has in it.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I would unseat the SODIMM's, and carefully replace them, pushing them down into the socket, then poping them into the retaining springs. Make sure to remove power and the battery before pulling the memory to re-seat it.

Hopefully that will solve the problem :)
But wouldn't that void the warranty? When I open the bottom panel?

SunstormGT
06-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Ok so I reseated the SODIMM and after it I was able to start up windows! I installed my preferred programs like FireFox, ZoneAlarm, AVG when I got another BSOD. This time it was a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error. I googled it and I found out this is bad RAM memory.

When the laptop restarted I kept getting the older BSOD every 30-60 secdons, anything else I can do before I take it back to the store?

hmscott
06-23-2014, 01:46 AM
But wouldn't that void the warranty? When I open the bottom panel?

Ok so I reseated the SODIMM and after it I was able to start up windows! I installed my preferred programs like FireFox, ZoneAlarm, AVG when I got another BSOD. This time it was a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error. I googled it and I found out this is bad RAM memory.
When the laptop restarted I kept getting the older BSOD every 30-60 secdons, anything else I can do before I take it back to the store?

SunstormGT, the bottom panel is ok to remove and work on memory/disk changes :)

If you reseated the memory you have access to, and you are still getting errors, you could try pulling them, and boot without them - one of them could be bad.

You could then RMA the bad memory and not have to send in the whole laptop.

Were there 1 or 2 SODIMM's accessible via the bottom panel?

SunstormGT
06-23-2014, 08:44 AM
SunstormGT, the bottom panel is ok to remove and work on memory/disk changes :)

If you reseated the memory you have access to, and you are still getting errors, you could try pulling them, and boot without them - one of them could be bad.

You could then RMA the bad memory and not have to send in the whole laptop.

Were there 1 or 2 SODIMM's accessible via the bottom panel?
2 8GB were accessible via the botte, panel. I could try that.

When I reseated both I had like 30 minutes of no errors. Dunno how long the time wil be next time but I can give it a try.

hmscott
06-23-2014, 09:13 AM
2 8GB were accessible via the botte, panel. I could try that.

When I reseated both I had like 30 minutes of no errors. Dunno how long the time wil be next time but I can give it a try.

SunstormGT, you might want to write down a battle plan, and keep your progress by checking off what you have tried.

You can remove both 8GB SODIMM's and run for a while that way to see if one of those are bad.

If you do run well without them, try plugging one in, and test to see if that works. It could be either a bad SODIMM or a bad socket...

So, when you get 1 of the 8GB SODIMM's running ok for a while, swap in the other SODIMM into the same socket, and see if that works.

If it works, then it could be the other socket is flaky - if both SODIMM's test as working in 1 socket.

If it fails, then you know you have a bad SODIMM and can contact Asus to get it replaced :)

Then test the other socket, trying both SODIMM's in it, while leaving the known good socket empty.

Sometimes just the act of removing and re-inserting the SODIMM a few times will fix a flaky socket...

Let us know what you find :)

SunstormGT
06-25-2014, 02:00 PM
With both SODIMM taken out the problem still occured. So I had to send it back to the shop.

hmscott
06-25-2014, 06:37 PM
With both SODIMM taken out the problem still occured. So I had to send it back to the shop.

SunstormGT, that's too bad, but at least you were able to debug it and get the feedback - and the laptop - back to the shop.

Let us know when you get your new one, and how it works :)

SunstormGT
06-28-2014, 11:51 AM
SunstormGT, that's too bad, but at least you were able to debug it and get the feedback - and the laptop - back to the shop.

Let us know when you get your new one, and how it works :)
Thx for the help with the feedback!!

Got the new one yesterday and it works fine. Was a bit scared a BSOD was gonna pop at any given time....just need some time to get the trust back :)

hmscott
06-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Thx for the help with the feedback!!
Got the new one yesterday and it works fine. Was a bit scared a BSOD was gonna pop at any given time....just need some time to get the trust back :)

SunstormGT, that's great news!

It's enough to make you gun-shy, but a stable G750 won't let you down :)

SunstormGT
06-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Well the next problem already poppep up. When I shut the laptop down last night i ran several updates. I saw it complete and shut down. Now I try to start up the laptop again and it says is had an error configuring windows and it is trying to undo the changes it made. Well this screen was running for about 4 hours and still nothing....

What to do? Restarted by holding down the powerbutton for 10 seconds. But that disnt help. I tried to get into options by holding shift or pressing F8 but nothing works. Want to op the window know and theow it out.... :(

hmscott
06-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Well the next problem already poppep up. When I shut the laptop down last night i ran several updates. I saw it complete and shut down. Now I try to start up the laptop again and it says is had an error configuring windows and it is trying to undo the changes it made. Well this screen was running for about 4 hours and still nothing....

What to do? Restarted by holding down the powerbutton for 10 seconds. But that disnt help. I tried to get into options by holding shift or pressing F8 but nothing works. Want to op the window know and theow it out.... :(

SunstormGT, yeah, Windows, sigh.

You hold the Fn key down while pressing F8? And it doesn't respond? It should, then you can choose to roll back to the previous working snapshot.

If you haven't done much you can also do an F9 recovery, and do a recovery install.

Then, find a block of time to do all the updates in real time, don't shutdown with updates left to apply - only when it is done with all updates do the shutdown.

Don't do the Power Button Shutdown while an update is completing or repairing. Just leave it sit, and go watch a movie, ride a bike, or take a nap.

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error when you try to install Windows updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Remain Calm, and enjoy, it does get better eventually :)

SunstormGT
06-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Been watching that screen for 4 hours and nothing new.

Held down Esc while rebooting and then pressed F11. Reload and old snapshot and it worked. Windows was updating again, went to 100%, then the same error. I will now try factory reset.

hmscott
06-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Been watching that screen for 4 hours and nothing new.

Held down Esc while rebooting and then pressed F11. Reload and old snapshot and it worked. Windows was updating again, went to 100%, then the same error. I will now try factory reset.

Before trying the full Asus F9 Restore, Expand and try running the Windows Fixup script from the link in the last post:

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter (Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista) => sub step in this kb article:
"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer" error when you try to install Windows updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

After that fixes the update issue, you can follow the "Install Windows updates in a clean boot state (Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista)" to make sure the updates complete correctly this time - rebooting between completed update sessions.