PDA

View Full Version : Things to try ~CPU overheating JM/JS/JZ models~

dblkk
06-22-2014, 02:36 PM
To start, I've had 3 G750 JM models I bought all from Best Buy, after a problem with one i returned it to get another, 3 times. Each one benchmarked/stress tested fine when I first got it. But within a few days, while rendering, temps started to hit high 90's, and thermally throttled. A few days after that, even stress tests would lead to 100c temp and throttling on 1-3 cores as high as 25%.

I then returned the last JM model, and figured this time I would try a different retailer and a different model of the G750 and try my luck that way. So went to amazon, bought a JS model. First thing/s i did, was render, stress test, just threw everything i could at it. Temps were still quite high, and again, within days temps were back 100c and thermal throttling.

I have 3 weeks ago, filed with amazon and recieved a replacement JS model. Which i updated a few things, stress tested, updated a few more, then stress tested, updated more, stress test. Over and over, keeping an eye on thermals every update, to see if there or what there was that was causing high temperatures to turn into extreme temps. after updates things were still the same thermally, and I did rendering. Hitting around 90c I thought i was good. 90c is still high, but 10c away from throttling.

Well, about about a week ago, those 90c temps were now 95-98c, and stress testing also proves those numbers. Gaming also yields me 85-90c cpu temps.

Working with Hmscott on these forums, I think we've found a way to lower thermals, and not sacrifice turbo boost.

1.First thing to do is make sure you have hwinfo (or something close but its the best), and intels extreme tuning utility.

2.Then in XTU 'down volt' lowering both dynamic and cache voltage offset by -50.78. If you can get lower without wierd CPU respone or just a freeze needing a reboot then great.

(anything lower makes my cpu % go from 99% to like 85%, doesn't crash but not good, but try with yours).

3. Final and biggest difference making step. Drop the core multiplier for 3 and 4 active cores from 32x to 30x.

(I dropped the core multiplier for 3 and 4 active cores from 32x to 31x. This led to me 95c-99c with spiked to 100c and throttling up to 5%. This was better than 32x, but still throttling. Dropping multiplier to 30x, gives me 86-94c, and spiking as high as 95c. So most extreme loads, below throttling with some room to spare.)

**Differences in reducing the multiplier. Max turbo speed 3.4. At stock, highest I get is 3.29. Drop multiplier from 32x to 31x, yields me 3.09ghz. Dropping to 30x (which yields highest multiplier with no throttling), 2.99ghz.

Alot of people try or recomend going into power management and putting cpu at 99% instead of 100% which disables turbo altogether. But that leaves chip alone at 2.4ghz. My way, thanks to following all Hmscotts advice, at least gets you to 3.0ghz and good temps.

**I will be using these from now on, if anything happens or anything needs to be changed, I will update this original post, Date/time stamp it as well.

But so far, stress tested several times on several programs and a very quick dvd render and no problems. I'll be trying a 3d scene out on tuesday once i get back to work.

If your having problems thermally, please try this and report back anything. I'll post pictures of xtu to give better visials for those not technically inclined.

hmscott
06-22-2014, 02:58 PM

3. Final and biggest difference making step. Drop the core multiplier for 3 and 4 active cores from 32x to 30x.

dblkk, so in essence, Core 1 and 2 remain at stock multiplier, which lets single threaded apps and a 2nd background app to run at full Turbo of 3.4ghz, and the reduced multiplier for reduced Turbo of 3.0ghz only kicks in for Core 3 and 4, and only when you have a 3rd and 4th program thread running.

And, that reduces the heat for your JS so that you don't thermal throttle, even for 100% load for 4-8 threads?

That's a huge improvement, and gets the most performance out of a borderline CPU thermal situation :)

There have been quite a few people with the JM/JS, and maybe some JZ's that could benefit from these settings, or a variation on them. Maybe some won't need to drop down to 30x multi, and can run without thermal throttling on 31x - only way to find out is to try it :)

Thanks dblkk!

dblkk
06-22-2014, 03:06 PM
dblkk, so in essence, Core 1 and 2 remain at stock multiplier, which lets single threaded apps and a 2nd background app to run at full Turbo of 3.4ghz, and the reduced multiplier for reduced Turbo of 3.0ghz only kicks in for Core 3 and 4, and only when you have a 3rd and 4th program thread running.

And, that reduces the heat for your JS so that you don't thermal throttle, even for 100% load for 4-8 threads?

That's a huge improvement, and gets the most performance out of a borderline CPU thermal situation :)

There have been quite a few people with the JM/JS, and maybe some JZ's that could benefit from these settings, or a variation on them. Maybe some won't need to drop down to 30x multi, and can run without thermal throttling on 31x, 32x, 33x - only way to find out is to try it :)

Thanks dblkk!

Yes, very good note. As for 1 and 2 core, those loads aren't whole core stressing, and stressing after changing just those doesn't effect temperatures at all.

As for dropping multiplier for 3 and 4 cores to 31x, I should've noted that's a possibility, but I did note that when I tried it wasn't a acceptable outcome/difference. But thanks for adding that in.

For 100% load, on any stress test ive thrown at it, highest temperature 'spikes' ive gotten has been 95c. Normally around 90-92c, which is roughly 10c less than before and below any throttling level.

The stock levels for 3 and 4 cores is 32x, if you went up to 33x that would be overclocking the chip. With my experience and from what I've read, there have only been a handful of good stock temp JS models, and I don't see overclocking in most of our futures, laugh.

I don't forsee any reason for me to have to RMA my laptop, but the whole 1 year accidental is whats keeping me from opening this sucker up to repaste. But if/when I do, I will make sure and include as much information on that experience as well. I will also include a video (probably loaded to youtube) on that as well.

hmscott
06-23-2014, 01:53 AM
Yes, very good note. As for 1 and 2 core, those loads aren't whole core stressing, and stressing after changing just those doesn't effect temperatures at all.
As for dropping multiplier for 3 and 4 cores to 31x, I should've noted that's a possibility, but I did note that when I tried it wasn't a acceptable outcome/difference. But thanks for adding that in.
For 100% load, on any stress test ive thrown at it, highest temperature 'spikes' ive gotten has been 95c. Normally around 90-92c, which is roughly 10c less than before and below any throttling level.
The stock levels for 3 and 4 cores is 32x, if you went up to 33x that would be overclocking the chip. With my experience and from what I've read, there have only been a handful of good stock temp JS models, and I don't see overclocking in most of our futures, laugh.
I don't forsee any reason for me to have to RMA my laptop, but the whole 1 year accidental is whats keeping me from opening this sucker up to repaste. But if/when I do, I will make sure and include as much information on that experience as well. I will also include a video (probably loaded to youtube) on that as well.

dblkk, I corrected the multi's, thanks :)

Did you register for the accidental coverage? Most people don't know you have to register for that within 90 days of purchase. You do that here:

Asus Accidental Damage Protection (ADP) at a Glance
http://notebookcare.asus.com/Content/US/ADP/ADP.aspx

Extended Warranty Service Package Activation
http://vip.asus.com

You found a workaround that you can use to prove to Asus that the uncorrected performance is unacceptable. You proved that the CPU is thermal throttling at stock settings, and you had to reduce the speed/performance of the CPU to get it to stop thermal throttling :)

You should send it in for repair, this workaround is on the edge of needing repair - and could get worse - it might not be the paste, it might be a physical problem with the cooling system - a bad heat pipe, bad connection, etc - that could get worse with a physical bump. I wouldn't let it go for long without repair.

But, at least you have a workaround so you can put together an alternative to use while the G750 is away for repair :)

dblkk
06-23-2014, 04:13 AM
Thanks, I wasn't saying your muilti's were wrong, I was just stating with our new ones I don't forsee an overclock.

I haven't registered, and just tried, got an error both times, so will try again tom and if it doesn't work ill email. So very very thanks for heads up, only thing I really care about on this warrenty.

Af for sending in for repair, I have seen and had this same exact 'problem' on every single laptop now, between two different models, and at two differenet retailers, I really think its just the way things are for me. I doubt the laptop itself is broken, as that's a very very bad % of bad luck.

hmscott
06-23-2014, 04:44 AM
Thanks, I wasn't saying your muilti's were wrong, I was just stating with our new ones I don't forsee an overclock.

I haven't registered, and just tried, got an error both times, so will try again tom and if it doesn't work ill email. So very very thanks for heads up, only thing I really care about on this warrenty.

Af for sending in for repair, I have seen and had this same exact 'problem' on every single laptop now, between two different models, and at two differenet retailers, I really think its just the way things are for me. I doubt the laptop itself is broken, as that's a very very bad % of bad luck.

dblkk, fair enough, it is too bad you are seeing those temps though. I don't understand it myself, as before the G750 didn't go into thermal throttling at all, and I still don't think it should. It was the actual test we used here to decide whether to return or send in for RMA.

You may have just had the bad luck of the draw, it isn't a good percentage for you personally, but you are only a sample of one :)

I would still report it to Asus, and see what they say, Asus may have figured out a solution by now for production problems early on. So it makes sense to at least give them a chance to fix it for you. I am sure they would appreciate feedback to let them know their cooling system isn't doing a good enough job for you!

There was a guy that complained about lines in his display for months, like 8+ months, replaced his screen 3 times, and never sent in his laptop to Asus to get it fixed. While during the same time several other people did send theirs in, like some have done recently, and they got back laptops with no lines in the display... we often become our own worst road blocks in life - it is up to you to decide what you want and ask politely for it, don't give up! :)

I guess I am not ready to give up on Asus, and assume this is the way it is, because it shouldn't and hasn't been.

Enjoy!

thewyrmking95
06-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Hi all i just created a screen shot of XTU to help the non-tech savvy and it doesn't seem to let me attach the file? i'm new to the forum so... call me a newb haha

Edit: it is a screenshot after having changed the values :)

thewyrmking95
06-23-2014, 05:00 AM
http://postimg.org/image/jb8k7fxz3/

dblkk
06-23-2014, 01:38 PM
http://postimg.org/image/jb8k7fxz3/

Yes, that is 100% correct, and identical to mine.

Were you having thermal issues as well? Or is this either just to show, or to be safe?

hmscott
06-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Yes, that is 100% correct, and identical to mine.

Were you having thermal issues as well? Or is this either just to show, or to be safe?

Guys, you down clocked the turbo for Core 3 and 4 to cut the heat generated, to stop thermal throttling when under heavy 4 core load.

And, you kept the stock multi for Core 1 and 2 to keep performance up for single threaded +1 threads.

How about you now OC Core 1 and 2 to get more performance for single threaded +1 threads - it shouldn't increase the heat enough to cause thermal throttling - at least it would be good to find out.

Can you please check to see how a multi setting of 36x on Core 1 and 35x on Core 2 works?

dblkk
06-23-2014, 01:44 PM
dblkk, fair enough, it is too bad you are seeing those temps though. I don't understand it myself, as before the G750 didn't go into thermal throttling at all, and I still don't think it should. It was the actual test we used here to decide whether to return or send in for RMA.

You may have just had the bad luck of the draw, it isn't a good percentage for you personally, but you are only a sample of one :)

I would still report it to Asus, and see what they say, Asus may have figured out a solution by now for production problems early on. So it makes sense to at least give them a chance to fix it for you. I am sure they would appreciate feedback to let them know their cooling system isn't doing a good enough job for you!

There was a guy that complained about lines in his display for months, like 8+ months, replaced his screen 3 times, and never sent in his laptop to Asus to get it fixed. While during the same time several other people did send theirs in, like some have done recently, and they got back laptops with no lines in the display... we often become our own worst road blocks in life - it is up to you to decide what you want and ask politely for it, don't give up! :)

I guess I am not ready to give up on Asus, and assume this is the way it is, because it shouldn't and hasn't been.

Enjoy!

I understand this, but I know I received from two separate shipments of JM from best buy. And amazon order the second time around/replacement I had made shipped from a separate warehouse (aka calafornia vs Kentucky) just to make sure it wasn't just a bad batch.

I will/should contact Asus about this, but theyre just going to at best tell me to ship it in. I have my wedding july 26th, and this laptop will be the mvp of the wedding. And until then im using it to make a few wedding videos (which means editing videos and pictures) as during the reception I will be plugging the laptop into a projector and built in speaker system. So the laptop will be running the videos during the reception, as well as have all the songs/playlists for the music as well. I edit videos on the side, so wanted to make sure my wedding video of the wife and I that will be shown was perfect. And I didn't see the need in paying $1000 for a dj, when (wifes latina) we would have to give him half the music she wants and were using the reception halls speakers and not allowed to bring in your own. So I figured, $1000 towards a dj, or $1000 towards 2x1tb ssd drives. **the ssd's won**

But probably after the wedding I will be contacting asus. I feel its just cheap thermal paste, as with pc's I have seen even the top 10 thermal pastes vary 10c easily. Im sure Asus is using good thermal paste, but probably not the top stuff. Repaste will fix this thermal problem, im almost certain.

thewyrmking95
06-23-2014, 01:51 PM
I was having this issue also, yes and i just wanted to help others haha :p and i'm at my college right now but i will oc core 1 and core 2 when i get home.

hmscott
06-23-2014, 01:52 PM
I understand this, but I know I received from two separate shipments of JM from best buy. And amazon order the second time around/replacement I had made shipped from a separate warehouse (aka calafornia vs Kentucky) just to make sure it wasn't just a bad batch.

I will/should contact Asus about this, but theyre just going to at best tell me to ship it in. I have my wedding july 26th, and this laptop will be the mvp of the wedding. And until then im using it to make a few wedding videos (which means editing videos and pictures) as during the reception I will be plugging the laptop into a projector and built in speaker system. So the laptop will be running the videos during the reception, as well as have all the songs/playlists for the music as well. I edit videos on the side, so wanted to make sure my wedding video of the wife and I that will be shown was perfect. And I didn't see the need in paying $1000 for a dj, when (wifes latina) we would have to give him half the music she wants and were using the reception halls speakers and not allowed to bring in your own. So I figured, $1000 towards a dj, or $1000 towards 2x1tb ssd drives. **the ssd's won**

But probably after the wedding I will be contacting asus. I feel its just cheap thermal paste, as with pc's I have seen even the top 10 thermal pastes vary 10c easily. Im sure Asus is using good thermal paste, but probably not the top stuff. Repaste will fix this thermal problem, im almost certain.

Congratulations on the wedding :)

Good plan on the SSD's vs. DJ!

I guess it has to be something that messed up the thermals between the G750JW/JX/JH and the G750JM/JS/JZ, it might be a bad choice of thermal paste in addition to the Optimus GPU power up.

At least you have the performance and thermal throttling under control now, so you can get on with the fun stuff :)

dblkk
06-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Guys, you down clocked the turbo for Core 3 and 4 to cut the heat generated, to stop thermal throttling when under heavy 4 core load.

And, you kept the stock multi for Core 1 and 2 to keep performance up for single threaded +1 threads.

How about you now OC Core 1 and 2 to get more performance for single threaded +1 threads - it shouldn't increase the heat enough to cause thermal throttling - at least it would be good to find out.

Can you please check to see how a multi setting of 36x on Core 1 and 35x on Core 2 works?

Will do in about an hour for you!! Great idea though, glad we keep you around HAHA

thewyrmking95
06-23-2014, 10:33 PM
I just OC Cores 1 and 2. you're right it doesn't get hot enough to cause CPU throttling but during the stress test it hovered anywhere between 88 to 95c. a little above my comfort zone but you could do this for more performance on single threaded + 1 threads but if you do do this you risk shortening the lifespan of your laptop (i would think you would anyway) http://postimg.org/image/97pm16v6t/

hmscott
06-24-2014, 01:35 AM
I just OC Cores 1 and 2. you're right it doesn't get hot enough to cause CPU throttling but during the stress test it hovered anywhere between 88 to 95c. a little above my comfort zone but you could do this for more performance on single threaded + 1 threads but if you do do this you risk shortening the lifespan of your laptop (i would think you would anyway) http://postimg.org/image/97pm16v6t/

thewyrmking95, one of the things to consider is that these stress tests themselves are likely the only thing you will do that push the laptop that hard :)

It is more likely you will run games and apps that only get within 70-80% of the stress test load, so you won't need to worry about the OC shortening the life of the laptop.

Instead you get the benefit of the best performance from your laptop for 1 or 2 tasks, and larger tasks will be slowed down a bit to reduce the heat generated to keep from going into thermal throttling.

You might as well keep the OC on the first 2 cores, and the downclock on the 2nd 2 cores, and enjoy your stable fast and non-thermal throttling laptop - you have tuned it to the best of it's ability even to the most unusual loading situation.

Thanks for checking, and I think if you are comfortable with some OC'ing, you could set them to 35x / 34x to drop down to your comfort level, but you are fine at 36x/35x without thermal throttling :)

thewyrmking95
06-24-2014, 08:50 PM
thewyrmking95, one of the things to consider is that these stress tests themselves are likely the only thing you will do that push the laptop that hard :)

It is more likely you will run games and apps that only get within 70-80% of the stress test load, so you won't need to worry about the OC shortening the life of the laptop.

Instead you get the benefit of the best performance from your laptop for 1 or 2 tasks, and larger tasks will be slowed down a bit to reduce the heat generated to keep from going into thermal throttling.

You might as well keep the OC on the first 2 cores, and the downclock on the 2nd 2 cores, and enjoy your stable fast and non-thermal throttling laptop - you have tuned it to the best of it's ability even to the most unusual loading situation.

Thanks for checking, and I think if you are comfortable with some OC'ing, you could set them to 35x / 34x to drop down to your comfort level, but you are fine at 36x/35x without thermal throttling :)
haha yeah i gotcha man :p thanks for the advice i just learned in my college course the details of overclocking and it's got me a little scared about my baby lol :) will keep the oc on the first 2 cores though because it has improved my overall performance :)

_
06-26-2014, 10:30 AM
To start, I've had 3 G750 JM models I bought all from Best Buy, after a problem with one i returned it to get another, 3 times. Each one benchmarked/stress tested fine when I first got it. But within a few days, while rendering, temps started to hit high 90's, and thermally throttled. A few days after that, even stress tests would lead to 100c temp and throttling on 1-3 cores as high as 25%.

What stress test did you use? We don't recommend artificial stress tests as it needlessly labors the CPU and cooling solution and doesnt provide a real-world indicator of performance. Modern mobile CPUs are highly dynamic in clock/voltages. If you have real-world apps that fail then that's a certainly a cause for concern.

dblkk
06-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Sony Vegas 12, cyberlink power director 12, and cs studio, as well as adobe premier elements. All throttle, usually core 3 on this laptop. Undervolted and downclocked third and fourth core mutliplier, running at 2.9ghz on all four cores. Last night while rendering, hit thermal throttling again

dblkk
06-26-2014, 01:47 PM
What stress test did you use? We don't recommend artificial stress tests as it needlessly labors the CPU and cooling solution and doesnt provide a real-world indicator of performance. Modern mobile CPUs are highly dynamic in clock/voltages. If you have real-world apps that fail then that's a certainly a cause for concern.

I run Sony Vegas 12, cyberlink power director 12, and cs studio, as well as adobe premier elements. All throttle, usually core 3 on this laptop. Undervolted and downclocked third and fourth core mutliplier, running at 2.9ghz on all four cores. Last night while rendering, hit thermal throttling again.

I've had 6 laptops, consisting of two different models, sold from 2 different retailers, and from 4 different shipments of laptops. Every one is identical as far as overheating and cooling.

I've thought it was cause for concern until this last one, I now just accept that this is just the situation with these laptops. I cant believe, numbers wise, that I have that sort of horrible luck to just always be getting the bad one. One would've figured by now I would've gotten at least one that was good, not 6 bad ones in a row.

I also ran maya, but with throttling, it ruins the finished product, causes glitches, tearing, and unpleasant final product. So now I'm stuck to just using my pc for maya, I guess the laptop just isn't cut out for that.

_
06-27-2014, 12:53 AM
OK I think you misinterpret what Turbo offers. It does not guarantee running at 3.4GHz in all situations.

When running all 4 cores the 4700HQ should run at 2.4GHz. When on one core it boosts to 3.4GHz. 2 and 3 cores are at frequencies in between; it's designed to be highly dynamic. The CPU has a fixed power pull. http://ark.intel.com/products/75116/Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz Different applications load the CPU differently. Don't run artificial stress tests - normal CPU use is dynamic. It doesn't use every portion of the pipeline/cache/memory controller/IGP, so sub-parts are designed to clock/volt down to save power even when it appears 'fully loaded'. Even when it appears to have 8 threads loaded in video encoding, you only have 4 FPUs so there is an element of scheduling and 'rest' happening within parts the chip. When you stress test it artificially loads every part, which will absolutely cause it to hit its limits quickly.

In addition, different CPUs might act slightly differently due to slight differences in manufacturing, which is only noticeable if you're loading the machines and comparing directly. Intel just gives the minimum attainable spec as so.

The fact you're running at 2.9+GHz on all 4 cores is more than it's base specification, so you're not seeing throttling, you're seeing it act normally as it's trying to run as fast as it can within its power limits. The fact it runs at >2.4GHz means the G750 is giving it room to spare and it can run faster than its specification! On other laptops that combine one fan to cool CPU and GPU - try loading both fully for extended periods and it'll clock back BOTH further as you hit its thermal limits before power.

dblkk
06-27-2014, 02:48 PM
OK I think you misinterpret what Turbo offers. It does not guarantee running at 3.4GHz in all situations.

When running all 4 cores the 4700HQ should run at 2.4GHz. When on one core it boosts to 3.4GHz. 2 and 3 cores are at frequencies in between; it's designed to be highly dynamic. The CPU has a fixed power pull. http://ark.intel.com/products/75116/Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz Different applications load the CPU differently. Don't run artificial stress tests - normal CPU use is dynamic. It doesn't use every portion of the pipeline/cache/memory controller/IGP, so sub-parts are designed to clock/volt down to save power even when it appears 'fully loaded'. Even when it appears to have 8 threads loaded in video encoding, you only have 4 FPUs so there is an element of scheduling and 'rest' happening within parts the chip. When you stress test it artificially loads every part, which will absolutely cause it to hit its limits quickly.

In addition, different CPUs might act slightly differently due to slight differences in manufacturing, which is only noticeable if you're loading the machines and comparing directly. Intel just gives the minimum attainable spec as so.

The fact you're running at 2.9+GHz on all 4 cores is more than it's base specification, so you're not seeing throttling, you're seeing it act normally as it's trying to run as fast as it can within its power limits. The fact it runs at >2.4GHz means the G750 is giving it room to spare and it can run faster than its specification! On other laptops that combine one fan to cool CPU and GPU - try loading both fully for extended periods and it'll clock back BOTH further as you hit its thermal limits before power.

Max Turbo Frequency - Max turbo frequency is the Maximum Clock Speed the processor is capable of operating at using Intel Turbo Boost Technology.

The Turbo Frequency Per Core Load is as follows - 3400 MHz (1core), 3300 MHz (2 cores), and 3200 MHz (4cores).

I interpret fully what Intels Turbo Boost Technology is, and what it has to offer. No it doesn't guarantee operating at 3.4 Ghz in all situations, as explained above, it guarentees that the 'chip' is capable of 3400 while running single core, 3300 while running dual cores, and 3200 while running quad cores. These numbers are guaranteed, tested, and fully capable of the processor at its 47W Max TDP.

You arguing that its not capable of reaching those numbers, either supports that a) the asus laptop isn't capable of deliver power needed by the processor, or b) isn't programmed to use the intel chip as it was made to be used. Either way, that's not me, nor me mis understanding.

I am also fully aware of the fact it is a quad core, with 8 threads. With each core sharing 2 threads.

I also agree that each chip isn't 100% identical to the others, but these differences only apply to certain circumstances. Overclocking the chip and final value reached is different for each chip, and the voltages required to reach certan frequencies is also different.
*But* each and every chip, guaranteed by intel 100%, must meet the stock values, not just limited to 'base' clock, but also any turbo frequencies as well.

****I also REPEAT in saying that these temperatures, throttling, and all other aspects of what I am experiencing, is due to programs being used. Not benchmarck, but running those also show the same result.****

The fact that I'm running at 2.9 GHz (and throttling during), does a)yes mean im running higher than base clock b)show that this very laptop I own (asus g750 JS) is bottlenecking the chip. **Term bottlenecking - A bottleneck is a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or limited number of components or resources. In this case, some aspect of the laptop itself, is limiting the performance of the chip. Holding the chip back from its full *stock* potential.

Other laptops utilizing a single fan to cool both cpu/gpu, I'm not sure where your going with that. The asus utilizes what? 2x 5v fans? MSI utilizes a single 12v fan. Which is larger, and capable of spinning at lower speeds to generate same airflow/larger and capable at spinning at higher speeds to deliver even higher airflow? Or the fact many manufactures are now dual fan designs? The MSI GT60/70 dominator series with single fan is fully capable at any amount of time running the processor alone at intels rated speeds, reguardless of amount of cores or speed. The Asus isn't. The MSI GS60/70 while even slimmer and using smaller fans, is still capable of running cpu/gpu 'stress tests' while maintaining below 85c cpu and 95c gpu. The Alienware 17 dual fan setup can run stress tests with sub 80c cpu and 85c gpu. The alienware 18, can stress test an i7 4930 and dual gtx 880ms both well under max temps. Even the razor blade while being extremely thin, using nothing but aluminum casing (holds in heat more than plastic) and single fan design can handle a 100% cpu load under 90c? These aren't 'base clocks' these are full out intel promised turbo clocks. Asus claims exceptional best in class cooling, yet from what your telling me that statement was made off the core base clocks only.

Its not like im overclocking, its not like im displeased that a benchmark was throttled. I cant even limit my chips full potential and render a movie without major glitching during the final rendered movie happening everytime my chip throttles itself.

You keep mentioning benchmarking and stress tests, well first of all I believe that a laptop should be designed to handle max load of the comonents in it. AND I'm not stress testing. I'm using up to 5 separate programs in which they all show the same thing, major thermal throttling.

And the only thing your really telling me is to be happy that my laptop is meeting intels bare minimum speeds, and not to expect intels guaranteed maximum speeds. Awesome, that's great, thanks for your time.

AAndrei
06-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Th 4700HQ in Asus G750 Series can fully sustain its max x32 multiplier (or x34 if overclocked) on all four cores as long as the it meets the TDP envelope of not exceeding 47W and the temperatures are not too high to make it throttle. And to be honest is not that easy to reach those watts.

I can run my 4700HQ for hours doing intensive stress tests/benchmarks without a single throttle as long as I provide adequate cooling.

So, check the temperature (should stay under 90 degrees celsius or something) and check the watts (should be under 47W).

dblkk
06-27-2014, 03:55 PM
just the last one, I've posted and have alot more all on different occasions and programs

AAndrei
06-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Yes, just what I've said above. Your CPU is running at max.

Provide better cooling for your laptop and lower the CPU voltage to help.

dblkk
06-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Yes, just what I've said above. Your CPU is running at max.

Provide better cooling for your laptop and lower the CPU voltage to help.

yup, I know, undervalued and undercooked does help unless I disable turbo completely.

Can't provide better cooling, as is its on an open desk with 2 feet before the wall, and on top of cooling pad.

I've tried two different cooling pads, fans on and off, laptop on pad and not, best real life difference, on the coolermaster temps dropped 2c max, still throttled

AAndrei
06-27-2014, 05:52 PM
I think Asus is using some generic thermal paste that it takes some time to cure (like couple of days under heat). This could be a reason why you have the temps degrading over the the week.

If it is possible, you could open the laptop and apply liquid pro/ultra. Of course this will void the warranty, I assume you already know that.

PM and I will show you a method to force the CPU cooler at full blasting. Could help during your video processing as solving the issue or at least allowing the CPU throttle less/fewer time.

dblkk
06-27-2014, 06:05 PM
I think Asus is using some generic thermal paste that it takes some time to cure (like couple of days under heat). This could be a reason why you have the temps degrading over the the week.

If it is possible, you could open the laptop and apply liquid pro/ultra. Of course this will void the warranty, I assume you already know that.

PM and I will show you a method to force the CPU cooler at full blasting. Could help during your video processing as solving the issue or at least allowing the CPU throttle less/fewer time.

I totally agree with the thermal paste, but I don't think its just that.

As for reapplying, I'm sure I mentioned I wanted to do that on this thread, plus several others. But I'm not willing to break a 1 year warranty including accidental in order to do this. I also need the laptop right now, and until my wedding on July 26th. On July 26th my wedding, my laptop will be the everything. It will have several videos which were prerecorded from people that wont be there, it will have several videos that I've put together with misc pictures/videos of myself and my wife from childhood until now. It will also be our DJ, with all music on it and ready to go, as well as where all my 4k footage from camcorder will be streamed and recorded to.

I need it for that. I was going to wait until after my wedding and send my laptop in to Asus and have them reapply paste or whatever, but I can't work on my wedding videos as when I do on this laptop, and it throttles, the outcome video is all shudder. Plus, if I disable turbo, my gpu runs at 2.4 GHz, my graphics card then throttles itself, and a 40 min hd video takes over 2 hours to render.

As for forcing the CPU fan, I know about launching Asus tweakmaster gpu thing, and then hitting max fans. I try it, it helps a bit, but not even close enough to actually remedy the problem.

But, I am open to anything else. Amazon has Ups coming on Monday to pick up my laptop for return. They wouldn't let me exchange it for another one, nor let me pick out a replacement as all replacements are out of stock, since they were allowing others to exchange for replacement and used all them up.

So I have til Monday I think, if I get it working by Monday, I will call amazon and demand to keep mine and cancel the return.

AAndrei
06-27-2014, 06:49 PM
I would say you are wrong, but... I can't. You are just right.

The issue is that those video processing applications acts like benchmarks stressing the CPU on multiple threads on all cores.

So, as potential solutions:
Take out the optical unit and remove the user serviceable are panel to increase air flow.
Use a powerful fan for the laptop desk to push more air inside the laptop.
Place the laptop in a cooler room, decresing the ambient temperature helps a lot. Go inside a room with AC, or go inside a basement, throw it in the fridge or move to Alaska. (not kidding :) )

And lastly, as you discovered, take a multiplier down across all cores... Solution is kinda stupid because the laptop should be OC-ed at 34x instead of 32x.

dblkk
06-27-2014, 07:28 PM
I would say you are wrong, but... I can't. You are just right.

The issue is that those video processing applications acts like benchmarks stressing the CPU on multiple threads on all cores.

So, as potential solutions:
Take out the optical unit and remove the user serviceable are panel to increase air flow.
Use a powerful fan for the laptop desk to push more air inside the laptop.
Place the laptop in a cooler room, decresing the ambient temperature helps a lot. Go inside a room with AC, or go inside a basement, throw it in the fridge or move to Alaska. (not kidding :) )

And lastly, as you discovered, take a multiplier down across all cores... Solution is kinda stupid because the laptop should be OC-ed at 34x instead of 32x.

Right on all counts, yes you are!

As for solutions, as crazy/bazaar/weird as they may seem. Yes, that's about all an end user can do. I took multipliers down to 26x, rendered a movie, 92c was highest I got. at 2.6ghz, lol, just over base.

With a laptop just over a month of ownership now, I feel the thermal paste is about where its going to be, and everything else pretty much broke in as well. I do feel a repaste should answer these problems, but the very highest/best ive ever seen a good thermal paste job has been just under 10c difference. While that will ultimately work, its out of the question for me to do, and I cant wait to send it in to asus and hope they can do as good of a job as I.

I've build about 10 computers past year, and my main is 100% custom liquid cooled, I cant begin to tell you how many repasts ive done on cpu alone, plus ive done about 5 per gpu, so 10. Then just got two titan blacks and had to regothrough that whole mess again. So I feel im very adequate at repasting.

But short of what you said, tearing apart anything off this laptop that I can, and force feed air into it, I don't know what else to do. And that recommendation, is pretty much last option, its not worth it to me. So looks like ive got the weekend to figure out a replacement, or try and find a JH model in stock, new, and not above $2.5k.

dblkk
06-27-2014, 07:29 PM
I will also note, that my personal opinion on benchmarks/stress tests.

The synthetic tests like these done place a 100% load on cpu/gpu. But its a fake load, I feel that actual real life workstation class programs will put an even harder load than the syntheitcs But that's just my opinion

AAndrei
06-27-2014, 07:36 PM
While both JZ and JH have bigger cooler, JZ has a copper one unlike the JH model. IF you get a good price on this...

Try with LynX, it should stress your CPU pretty well.

dblkk
06-27-2014, 10:24 PM
It was under my understanding that the improved cooling on the JH and JZ models was strickly GPU side, in order to deal with the increased 880m thermals?

hmscott
06-28-2014, 03:54 AM
It was under my understanding that the improved cooling on the JH and JZ models was strickly GPU side, in order to deal with the increased 880m thermals?

It is an upgraded copper infused heatsink for the GPU on all the new models, the JM/JS/JZ, not just the JZ - at least that is how it reads to me :)

New G750JZ, G750JS and G750JM Gaming Laptops Launched With Nvidia GTX 880M, 870M, 860M And TurboMaster Overclocking
http://rog.asus.com/307502014/g-series-gaming-laptops/new-g750jz-g750jm-and-g750js-gaming-laptops-launched-with-nvidia-gtx-880m-870m-860m-and-turbomaster-overclocking/

AAndrei
06-28-2014, 08:03 AM
It is a damn copper heatsink, like it should have been from beginning. There is no such thing as "infused" copper, this is pure marketing giberish shiznit invented term.

Yes, the copper is only for the GPU on the JZ model, but the ideea was that JH and JZ have bigger fans(taller) and bigger heatsinks (taller).
Also I think JH and JZ have 3 heatpipes (for GPU) instead of 2 like the rest of the models.

hmscott
06-28-2014, 09:30 AM
It is a damn copper heatsink, like it should have been from beginning. There is no such thing as "infused" copper, this is pure marketing giberish shiznit invented term.

Yes, the copper is only for the GPU on the JZ model, but the ideea was that JH and JZ have bigger fans(taller) and bigger heatsinks (taller).
Also I think JH and JZ have 3 heatpipes (for GPU) instead of 2 like the rest of the models.

AAndrei, "infused copper" is actually a thing, it means it is "plated" copper, not solid copper.

And, with all the CPU heat problems on the new JM/JS/JZ, it is too bad the same wasn't done to the CPU cooler on the JM/JS/JZ, as it was the one that really needed the help in this generation.

_
06-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Are you using 205 or 207 BIOS?

ithanium2
06-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Does it matter?
The BIOS changelog states nothing but an update CPU microcode.
AAndrei, don't bother with him...just ignore his posts...

dblkk
06-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Not sure what bios as I no longer have laptop.

But thought it came stock/new with 205, which still had same problems

Since stock, I have updated bios, so im assuming that's 207, and nothing changed at all.

That's with all 7 laptops

And as far as bios changes between 205-207, I didn't see a single difference anywhere. I tried for a few hours searching for actual changelog of some sort and checking eveyr setting in and out of bios and never found a difference. Also kept eye on hwmonitor which shows fan speed, and no difference in thermal to fan speed, so no fan change either