PDA

View Full Version : New G750JZ-XS72 Random Reboots

FSchmitthammer
06-24-2014, 12:03 AM
I just purchased a G750JZ-XS72 and I am getting it setup with the software I use.

My main purpose need for this laptop is for software development and not for gaming per se. I needed a machine with 32gb of memory and a decent processor. This laptop had the specs I needed.

My issue is it will randomly reboot. I am not doing anything but browsing, reading email, and other light duty. I have not installed any crazy software or anything that I have not used on my previous HP laptop.

How can I get to the root cause of the reboots? There are no event log entries that show something happening before the reboot. I have shut off the GPU overclocking. I don't get any other errors.

I have all of the updates from the ASUS web site for the bios and other drivers, etc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Darnassus
06-24-2014, 11:13 AM
When you say "I have all of the updates from the ASUS web site for the bios and other drivers, etc." did you update them yourself?

Did this begin to happen only AFTER you updated everything?

FSchmitthammer
06-26-2014, 03:29 AM
Darnassus.. I did them all myself.

I found out what the issue was. I have an HP docking station that connects via USB to a port extender. The drivers were up to date for it. However, when the system uses the Ethernet adapter in the port extender ( via the USB ) the machine reboots under load.

Strange thing is the event log did not point me in that direction. I just figured out when it was rebooting.

I now just plug directly in with my Ethernet cable and use the hardwire connection to the laptop, all works great.

I love this new laptop.

I know I am not a big gamer. However for my software development the extra memory, fast processor, and SSD's makes it a real joy to work on.

I hope this post helps somebody else.