PDA

View Full Version : Brand new G750JZ - Are the fans supposed to run all the time?

cpeumr
06-25-2014, 11:59 PM
Hi everyone,
Just opened my new G750JZ, and the fans seem really....loud. They've pretty much stayed on since turning the thing on, with average CPU temps at idle around 33-35 C. Is this normal for the laptop, or something I should get checked out? I didn't see anything on the reviews about excessive fan noise, so it has me curious...

Thanks.

cpeumr
06-26-2014, 12:32 AM
To add a little more to this as I've been playing around, it almost feels as if the fans are stuck in some kind of "always on" mode. Running a 5 min stress test increases CPU temps to 55, with no corresponding increase in fan noise / speed. Right now, there's no GPU activity to speak of when looking at it through a hardware profiler, so I don't think that's it either.

Has anyone seen this type of issue where the fans seem "stuck" at a max setting? Let me know if there's anything else i can do to help troubleshoot or answer questions, this is puzzling me.

cpeumr
06-26-2014, 02:43 AM
Sent an email to Asus Technical support. They recommended controlling fan speed via gpu-z, but didn't provide any real insight into how to do that.

To me, it really kind of feels like whatever motherboard sensor that controls fan speeds is faulty. The ASUS GPU Tweak shows overclocking off, Run GPU Fan on Full speed as off, but he GPU Fan Speed as 25500 RPM (matching what I see HWMonitor), and no CPU Fan info at all on GPUTweak.

Prostar Computer
06-26-2014, 03:26 PM
I don't think you can manipulate fan behavior with third party software. This might be a faulty fan profile. Is your BIOS up to date?

cpeumr
06-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can't. There is an option through the Asus GPU Tweaker to set the GPU Fan to max, but doing so made no difference with it being on or off. Asus support directed me to do an RMA, which I just did through NewEgg. I'll update this thread when I know more in case anyone else has issues.

korenb
06-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Same thing here...the fans work loudly all the time. Please let us know if there's a fix for that.

ithanium2
06-27-2014, 03:42 PM
I don't think you can manipulate fan behavior with third party software. This might be a faulty fan profile. Is your BIOS up to date?

NoteBook FanControl would beg the differ... http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1070494

Akin2Silver
06-30-2014, 04:11 AM
system try right click asus gpu tweak, open, check for gpu fan always on.
(the gpu tweak is like funny little red icon, it doesn't show its name in a tool tip when you hover over it)
reboot into bios and check fan control is on auto and other fan related settings.

hmscott
06-30-2014, 04:42 AM
NoteBook FanControl would beg the differ... http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1070494

The newest version 1.11.19 works for my G750JH, using the Asus M52VA config, I can't believe it - it's been needed for so long. Installed, changed settings to start with Windows and minimize to systray, and rebooted.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6c34bd33ac55ce36&id=6C34BD33AC55CE36!1060&action=Share

It's pretty hot in here right now, and my CPU temp was at 52c, turning the Notebook FanControl from auto to 100%, and my CPU temp is 45c !

I have a room fan on, I couldn't hear the G750 CPU fan at 100%, but the CPU temp came down, so it is working.

Thanks for the heads up ithanium2!