PDA

View Full Version : Extra Cooling for Asus ROG laptop?



Torpedo499
06-26-2014, 11:52 PM
So I was wondering if this cooler would fit and have an impact on the cooling of my G750JW,

I really hate high temperatures, even if it's 1C higher than I'm use too.

Would this cooler be beneficial?

Thanks!

Torpedo499
06-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Oops, forgot to link cooler:

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-ZM-NC11-Performance-Notebook-Cooler/dp/B008CMTOCS

dne0gen
06-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Unless you plan on using it in your bed or on your lap then maybe there is some sense it taking one, but if you want to use it on your desk or table you won't really see a big difference ( if any ) in the laptop temperature.
The best thing these coolers do is lift the laptop up so the air will flow under the laptop itself. Other than that, there really isn't any difference in the CPU or GPU temperatures. If your laptop is heating enough to trouble you, the best advice I could give you is to get it cleaned inside.
I have had quite a few coolers for my old laptop and in all honesty the one that costs $10 does the same "cooling" as the one that costs $40.

Darnassus
06-27-2014, 02:09 AM
Using a cooling pad won't affect the G series. ( Well, not much, anyway )

HERE'S WHY! ;D

The laptop's air intake is split into two places.. The top of the laptop, and the bottom..

I'd say roughly 30% of the air that goes into the laptop is sucked through the bottom, from the grates above the rear panel that can be taken off.. The rest, 70% comes from under the screen through the speakers.

Here's a diagram:

38162

The diagram isn't accurate, but a rough idea of where the intake is.

The fans are centrifugal.

P.S. If you want to clean your fans, all you need to do is remove the plate behind the screen, (on top of the heat sinks) and give it a light dusting.

(You won't be able to reach directly INTO the fan, but you CAN clean inside the heatsink block, and the grill of the speaker, that's the first place the dust will begin to collect.)

Darnassus
06-27-2014, 02:11 AM
Oh also I myself have a notebook cooler, but only because I like the 'wedge' shape it provides for my wrists.. I also had it before I purchased this laptop. ;3


A side note, because of this design, you can actually use this laptop.. on your lap! ;p

Torpedo499
06-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Using a cooling pad won't affect the G series. ( Well, not much, anyway )

HERE'S WHY! ;D

The laptop's air intake is split into two places.. The top of the laptop, and the bottom..

I'd say roughly 30% of the air that goes into the laptop is sucked through the bottom, from the grates above the rear panel that can be taken off.. The rest, 70% comes from under the screen through the speakers.

Here's a diagram:

38162

The diagram isn't accurate, but a rough idea of where the intake is.

The fans are centrifugal.

P.S. If you want to clean your fans, all you need to do is remove the plate behind the screen, (on top of the heat sinks) and give it a light dusting.

Thanks for the information! I didn't know about the air coming from under the screen! I guess I won't buy a cooler then, thanks again!

xcaetano
06-29-2014, 08:59 PM
so, buying a notebook cooler will provide to the laptop will pump some extra fresh air into the laptop

Maxter
06-30-2014, 10:48 PM
That is one awesome diagram. Blew my mind that the air comes from the top! How do I remove the panel for cleaning? I can't figure it out...

Darnassus
07-03-2014, 04:57 PM
That is one awesome diagram. Blew my mind that the air comes from the top! How do I remove the panel for cleaning? I can't figure it out...

You have... I believe 3 screws beneath the battery, and then the two screws one at each of the very corners of the unit's underside. ( I think ONLY those 5, I may be wrong. Can't hurt to take out more than you need to, though.

It's the first part of the G750 that comes off.

Maxter
07-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Awesome sauce! Imma have to try that this weekend :D

Darnassus
07-04-2014, 02:24 AM
Awesome sauce! Imma have to try that this weekend :D

You might actually be surprised with what you find out down there. Just be warned, do not tug on it hard. The speakers are in fact built into the part, meaning there's a cord tethered to the motherboard underneath. So be gentle.

The cord is (as you look at the laptop's screen) on the right hand side, middle ish.

Start by prying the part up from the LEFT side. (Right if you look at it from the back) Apparently the design flaw on that part, that side isn't completely pressing down and can easily be lifted.

hmscott
07-04-2014, 02:44 AM
Darnassus, Thestroj long ago did a smoke path test, blew smoke into the vents / top of the G750, and no air was being drawn in at the top, all the air draw was from the bottom vents. Sorry, it took me a while to find it again...you were in on that thread too :)

G750JX. How does it cool? Where does the air come from?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42197-G750JX.-How-does-it-cool-Where-does-the-air-come-from&p=359536&viewfull=1#post359536

His inspiration was this video, starting at 00:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe-2ZqmSGug

38493

Are G750 laptops indeed LAPtops? => bottom vent temperature test results
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?49010-Are-G750-laptops-indeed-LAPtops&p=416326&viewfull=1#post416326

Darnassus
07-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Darnassus, Thestroj long ago did a smoke path test, blew smoke into the vents / top of the G750, and no air was being drawn in at the top, all the air draw was from the bottom vents. Sorry, it took me a while to find it again...you were in on that thread too :)

G750JX. How does it cool? Where does the air come from?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42197-G750JX.-How-does-it-cool-Where-does-the-air-come-from&p=359536&viewfull=1#post359536

His inspiration was this video, starting at 00:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe-2ZqmSGug

38493

Wrong! ;c

Smoke test should be inconclusive due to the fact not only does it breathe from under the screen but also behind it. The smoke most likely would have dissipated and not had any effect. I KNOW it breathes through the speakers since I've cleaned practically a matt of dust from them. :c If you remove the back piece, you can even see the centrifugal fan right there with your very eyes.

I've even gamed with the laptop on my bed and pillow, temperatures did not change.


P.S if you look at your little diagram you have posted you will notice where it says "GPU and CPU" that there is blue going WHOOSH down into the fan from there too! :'c

I will take pictures!

ultimate2368
07-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Here are some pictures ;) (Don't mind the dust, meh)

http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc049btb.jpg
http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc049bwb.jpg
http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc049non.jpg

I didn't know that air is taken from the top! So I had to check it for myself. (Don't mind my Enlgish, also...I am not a native speaker ;)

hmscott
07-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Here are some pictures ;) (Don't mind the dust, meh)

http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc049btb.jpg
http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc049bwb.jpg
http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc049non.jpg

I didn't know that air is taken from the top! So I had to check it for myself. (Don't mind my Enlgish, also...I am not a native speaker ;)

ultimate2368, those are not air intakes, those are joining places / very small gaps too small for any useful airflow.

You don't put an air intake on top of a fan, you draw air in over the motherboard and components on the way to the heatsink / exhaust fans, and that air comes in under the laptop through the vents. It makes no sense to pull in air near the hot exhaust vent air.

38506

If you cover those vents, the temperatures go up, if you tilt the laptop front up, to increase airflow through the vents, the temperatures go down.

Are G750 laptops indeed LAPtops? => bottom vent temperature test results
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?49010-Are-G750-laptops-indeed-LAPtops&p=416326&viewfull=1#post416326

Try blocking the airflow into the area you think is taking in air, and see what happens to the temperatures of the CPU/GPU under load.

Torpedo499
07-04-2014, 02:26 PM
So the air is coming from under the monitor, and being blown out of the two back vents.

For cleaning, without removing any components, would it be good for me to spray both back vent/under the monitor with compressed air?

Thanks for this thread by the way, it's very interesting!

Darnassus
07-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Comes from two locations.. ;c

Under from hinge is viable! >xc

P.S. if that wasn't drawing air... how would it be getting dusty? ;d

Darnassus
07-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Here are some pictures ;) (Don't mind the dust, meh)

http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc049btb.jpg
http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc049bwb.jpg
http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc049non.jpg

I didn't know that air is taken from the top! So I had to check it for myself. (Don't mind my Enlgish, also...I am not a native speaker ;)

Third picture is sliiightly wrong. The air intake comes through the speaker holes. ;d

ultimate2368
07-04-2014, 04:46 PM
I checked speakers....no holes through...only hole to the speaker, but not on the other side. I dont know the exact air intakes....but I tried to run GPU and CPU burner soft to check it by my hand near the speakers...There was some air getting in.

Darnassus
07-04-2014, 05:42 PM
I checked speakers....no holes through...only hole to the speaker, but not on the other side. I dont know the exact air intakes....but I tried to run GPU and CPU burner soft to check it by my hand near the speakers...There was some air getting in.

If you look at the speaker even in the picture you posted, you will notice that the holes on the bottom AND the side, can have air flow.