PDA

View Full Version : 750JM Display Problem

Born2Create
06-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Hi guys,

This is my first post in the forum and I'm really hoping someone can help me. I purchased the 750JM roughly 2 months ago and I've noticed that when the machine come out of sleep mode, or is just starting up, there seems to be a light blue tint over the display. After a few seconds, the tint goes away and the display returns to normal. I'm worried that I've got a bad graphics card or something. I'm nearing the end of my return period and although everything else seems to be working properly, I'm really worried about the display and I'm wondering if I should return the laptop, or if this is somehow normal?

I've attached a photo of what the screen looks like when returning from sleep mode (or just starting up) vs how it looks once the tint goes away. I did contact ASUS support and they suggested that I update the drivers, which I did, but it's still happening. My NVidia is using driver version 9.18.13.3788 and the Intel is using version 10.18.10.3379. Windows says these are the most up to date drivers available. Any advice? I am a video editor and graphic designer, so the color thing is really bothering me. Is there a way to fix this? Or should I just return the laptop?

Thanks so much for your help!

redduc900
06-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Do you have the ASUS Splendid utility installed? If so, you might want to try either uninstalling it, or check that it's set to Normal (off). If you uninstall it, then later decide to re-install it, you can download the latest version from here...

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=110&m=Splendid&os=29&hashedid=n%2Fa

Born2Create
06-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Yes, it is installed. I didn't even know that I had it. It is set to Vivid. I will set i to normal and see if that helps. If not, I'll try to uninstall.

Thank you for your help!

AAndrei
06-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Asus splendid will add a color profile. You can get/save the profile correction file and uninstall the Splendid application. Then you can install the icn color profile yourself.

Born2Create
06-27-2014, 07:13 PM
I turned Spendid to normal, but the same thing happened. Then, I turned it off and it still happened. I did another chat with customer support and they had me install a different driver for the Nvidia card (3311) and now, the screen is staying blue. It would usually come on blue and then change to the normal color after about a minute, now, it's not changing to the normal color at all. I don't know what to do :( I don't want to return this laptop, but I can't work with the colors like this. Any other advice?

Thanks again

AAndrei
06-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Read my post above.

Born2Create
06-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks AAndrei. Unfortunately, I've already uninstalled Splendid, so I'm not sure what the color profile was. I did another chat with Asus and she had me connect the laptop to an external monitor. When I did that, the color was fine so she suggested it was a problem with the actual display instead of the graphics card. She wanted to issue an RMA so that I could send it for service, but I think I'll just return it and go with something else. I've barely had this laptop for 2 months. It shouldn't need to be serviced yet. Very unfortunate. I really like it otherwise.

hmscott
06-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks AAndrei. Unfortunately, I've already uninstalled Splendid, so I'm not sure what the color profile was. I did another chat with Asus and she had me connect the laptop to an external monitor. When I did that, the color was fine so she suggested it was a problem with the actual display instead of the graphics card. She wanted to issue an RMA so that I could send it for service, but I think I'll just return it and go with something else. I've barely had this laptop for 2 months. It shouldn't need to be serviced yet. Very unfortunate. I really like it otherwise.

Born2Create, when you return it I suggest you leave a print out of the problems / examples from your posts in the box - so whoever gets it will have some symptom help when debugging.

I wouldn't give up on Asus, there are more good ones out there than bad ones by a huge margin. You wouldn't know it by reading this forum, but that is the way user forums work - the people with problems seek out help on the forums, and the people that are happy with their laptop won't bother.

When you do get your new Asus, please do come back and tell us how happy you are with it, we need the good reports too :)

Born2Create
06-27-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks for that post hmscott. I am so bummed about this problem. I hate having to send this back, because I love it otherwise. I was thinking of getting an exchange, because I really want to stick with ASUS, but I'm scared of getting another bad model so I'm thinking about the Alienware M17. I don't know what to do.

hmscott
06-28-2014, 03:39 AM
Thanks for that post hmscott. I am so bummed about this problem. I hate having to send this back, because I love it otherwise. I was thinking of getting an exchange, because I really want to stick with ASUS, but I'm scared of getting another bad model so I'm thinking about the Alienware M17. I don't know what to do.

Born2Create, it's a tough time for the new G750JM/JS/JZ for some with bad units, for others they seem fine. The key is to be patient and find a good one. Although there have been a couple of people that even then haven't found a good one - while others report in those same threads that theirs are fine.

The JW/JX/JH had teething problems at the beginning, with different issues, and evened out over time - although there were spates of audio problems, and battery problems, but the batches were gone through and things returned to good results.

Alienware is overpriced, the base frame cost is the problem. It is so high it encourages you to splurge on the upgrades to make the cost bear value. Putting in the best GPU/CPU is really the only way to win with the Alienware laptops. But, they have been having complaints about the new video cards too...

If you can drive into a brick and mortar, pay a little extra for a service contract, and ask to open the box and test it before you leave, that is really the best way to handle this kind of quality control problem.

You need a deep pool of product to pull from to get a good one :)

Born2Create
06-28-2014, 05:13 AM
Well, I'm really trying to work things out with the unit. I've agreed to ship it to ASUS for service. This sucks, but I am hoping that they can fix it. Thanks again for your responses.

AAndrei
06-28-2014, 07:51 AM
@Born2Create: dude, can you read? Your laptop is fine. Like FINE!

All you need is to apply that color profile matching your display. There are about 3 displays used by Asus, you need to check to see if you have a ChiMei or an Auoptronics display. Based on this info, you can apply the proper color profile to fix your laptop screen.

I had the same problem like you have, original laptop screen is blueish, after applying the color profile it gets grayish. So I could say your display panel is an AUO219D (B173HW02).

You can get the needed color profiles in the Splendid application folder, all you need is to save the proper profile somewehere, then you can uninstall Splendid application and apply directly the color profile in Color Management application (colorcpl.exe).

If by chance you have a Chi Mei panel, there are also profiles calibrated by some guy some months ago.

Note that some apps or games or Nvidia driver crashes or right after restarting your computer it could take 1 or 2 seconds or so until your profile is applied again over the blueish display.

I repeat again, your laptop is fine, there is no reason to RMA it, it works exactly as it was designed from factory. Just because you applied the Splendid profile is more like a fix, a correction, is not factory. Blueish is factory.

hmscott
06-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Well, I'm really trying to work things out with the unit. I've agreed to ship it to ASUS for service. This sucks, but I am hoping that they can fix it. Thanks again for your responses.

Born2Create, it is quicker to return to the vendor, and if you are still within the return period try returning there first. Returning to Asus can take weeks.

If you return to Asus, make sure you have a really good explanation included so that they understand what you are seeing, how to reproduce it, and what you are expecting to have fixed before it is returned to you.

The color correction that Splendid does looks to me to add a muddy yellow cast, and when I uninstall Splendid I don't see a prevalent blue cast on the screen - it's cleaner and clearer white light without the yellow muddy cast.

Your photo's indicate a different result; in the correct color picture it looks well balanced, in the blue cast photo it looks washed out. Have you played with any of the color correction in Intel settings? Or done any other color related changes?

If you have an AUO screen, it is really bright at 100%, try setting it at 70% brightness and see if that reduces the washed out look.

Neither the Chi Mei or AUO screens I have seen show a marked blue cast that would show up like you are seeing ... but this could be a new symptom for JM/JS/JZ's.

No one else has mentioned this blue cast problem when I have suggested uninstalling Splendid on the JM/JS/JZ, or previously on the JW/JX/JH.

Let us know how it works out :)

Born2Create
06-28-2014, 06:48 PM
@Born2Create: dude, can you read? Your laptop is fine. Like FINE!

All you need is to apply that color profile matching your display. There are about 3 displays used by Asus, you need to check to see if you have a ChiMei or an Auoptronics display. Based on this info, you can apply the proper color profile to fix your laptop screen.

I had the same problem like you have, original laptop screen is blueish, after applying the color profile it gets grayish. So I could say your display panel is an AUO219D (B173HW02).

You can get the needed color profiles in the Splendid application folder, all you need is to save the proper profile somewehere, then you can uninstall Splendid application and apply directly the color profile in Color Management application (colorcpl.exe).

If by chance you have a Chi Mei panel, there are also profiles calibrated by some guy some months ago.

Note that some apps or games or Nvidia driver crashes or right after restarting your computer it could take 1 or 2 seconds or so until your profile is applied again over the blueish display.

I repeat again, your laptop is fine, there is no reason to RMA it, it works exactly as it was designed from factory. Just because you applied the Splendid profile is more like a fix, a correction, is not factory. Blueish is factory.

LOL, that first part cracked me up. I'm not sure if that was meant to be an insult, but that was pretty funny :p Yes, I can read. I responded to you (see post #7) When you posted your fix, I had already deleted splendid, so I wasn't able to copy the correct photo profile. I have since reinstalled it, so the display looks great again. I do not know how to copy the color profile from Splendid and apply it in Color Management so that I can delete it again. Would you be able to provide instructions? Or maybe since you're saying this is normal, I can just leave it how it is. It's only a few seconds anyway and I was just worried of it being a sign of some kind of hardware failure. Goodness.

Mcclaud
06-28-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that laptop is switching between video cards , mine is the same. At start is a bit blue and after seconds it get normal colors. Try connecting the laptop to tv. When i do that my screen turns blue because the gtx kicks in. After i remove cable from tv it gets normal colors again because Intel card apply's the setting you did.

Born2Create
06-28-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks Mcclaud. I guess there is nothing to worry about then.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Since this seems normal. I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Born2Create
07-02-2014, 03:45 PM
*UPDATE*

This morning, I turned on the laptop and had the blue tint again. I thought it was nothing and that it would revert to my "normal" color like it usually does but instead, my screen went completely BLACK. BLACK! I think the display is dead because I can't get it back on. I am returning this bad boy immediately. I just thought I'd update this thread, since I didn't want someone to come along thinking this was not a valid concern. I've restarted several times and no go. What a horribly frustrating experience. I'm not sure if it's just this model or what, but I'm very disappointed.

hmscott
07-03-2014, 03:00 PM
*UPDATE*

This morning, I turned on the laptop and had the blue tint again. I thought it was nothing and that it would revert to my "normal" color like it usually does but instead, my screen went completely BLACK. BLACK! I think the display is dead because I can't get it back on. I am returning this bad boy immediately. I just thought I'd update this thread, since I didn't want someone to come along thinking this was not a valid concern. I've restarted several times and no go. What a horribly frustrating experience. I'm not sure if it's just this model or what, but I'm very disappointed.

Born2Create, that sucks, but it is part of what is called "infant mortality", once you get past a month or so, all the components that are going to fail have failed, and yours had a problem that wasn't caught in QA in their burn-in test. It happens, but it isn't typical - so go ahead and get another one and test it out. You will get a good one :)

Please come back and let us know how your replacement G750 works! :)