PDA

View Full Version : Question on 860m and Integrated

OlGreg
06-28-2014, 06:28 PM
I have purchased a G750JM a week or so back and wish to disable the Intel graphics adapter and use only the 860. I have read several post that state this is not a good idea due to battery but I am not concerned with this and really don't want to go through the trouble of adding specific programs to the list in the NVIDIA control panel. This is rather frustrating that I can not figure this out. I purchased this machine to replace an XPS desktop and use it for pictures and video not gaming. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

redduc900
06-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Give this a try... open the NVidia CP--> Manage 3D settings--> Global settings, and change the "Preferred graphics processor" to "High performance NVIDIA processor", and "Power management mode" to either "Prefer maximum performance" or "NVIDIA driver controlled".

Bgallodoro24
06-28-2014, 10:11 PM
I have mine set to global settings for nvidia card and all my programs installed so far use the 860.

OlGreg
06-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Have tried these options and still does not work. Have spent several hours on the phone with ASUS and then NVIDIA support and the answer I have been given is that it is not supposed to work with all software. Long story short will not work with most multimedia software used to edit video or pictures. I will be returning laptop to vendor tomorrow.

hmscott
06-28-2014, 11:07 PM
Have tried these options and still does not work. Have spent several hours on the phone with ASUS and then NVIDIA support and the answer I have been given is that it is not supposed to work with all software. Long story short will not work with most multimedia software used to edit video or pictures. I will be returning laptop to vendor tomorrow.

OlGreg, several forum members found this problem, but there might be a way around it if your software will use external rendering plugins, 3dsmax with external plugin V-Ray RT 3.00.07 lets you render using CPU or Nvidia, while the base program won't.

G750 JS - CPU Overheating, What Thermal Solution ?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48404-G750-JS-CPU-Overheating-What-Thermal-Solution&p=412157&viewfull=1#post412157

You didn't mention which software you are using... you do know that any laptop with Optimus is going to have this problem, not just the G750.

What are the software packages that aren't working for you?

You could get the G750JW/JX/JH, as they don't have Intel GPU wired in, so they are always on Nvidia GPU.

OlGreg
06-28-2014, 11:43 PM
I really appreciate the response but it should not be this hard?? I have an 8 year old XPS that renders faster than this machine. I understand that it is not a ASUS issue and the problem is with the convoluted way NVIDIA has chosen to build there architecture. Still does not resolve my issue. I very seriously doubt I will buy anything with NVIDIA in it. Not sure what my options are???? Very frustrating. I use several software's from Adobe to solid works, and others also. Even if I open the exe. as per the article on NVIDIA's web site it still uses the on board graphics.

hmscott
06-29-2014, 01:01 AM
I really appreciate the response but it should not be this hard?? I have an 8 year old XPS that renders faster than this machine. I understand that it is not a ASUS issue and the problem is with the convoluted way NVIDIA has chosen to build there architecture. Still does not resolve my issue. I very seriously doubt I will buy anything with NVIDIA in it. Not sure what my options are???? Very frustrating. I use several software's from Adobe to solid works, and others also. Even if I open the exe. as per the article on NVIDIA's web site it still uses the on board graphics.

OlGreg, Nvidia is ok, it is the Intel iGPU / Optimus that is the problem. If you can get an Nvidia laptop without Optimus, there are still JW/JX/JH's around that perform as good or better than the JM/JS/JZ - and do it running cooler - you will have a simple to use always on GPU.

I haven't used the AMD implementation, but here is a video on how to "optimize" to AMD away from Intel...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCh9Eob0mNY

It's frustrating that it is so complicated, when a simple switch dependent on Battery/AC would be enough.

A switch that would set "On battery use Intel", and "On AC use Nvidia/AMD" is all we really want.

IDK why Adobe's instructions aren't working, but I assume some little setting / tweak is needed.

If you don't want to mess around with all these settings / tuning / tweaking - and I haven't even mentioned Nvida Inspector (google it, youtube it) - then find a non-Optimus laptop while they are still available.

Nvidia Inspector - Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Nvida+Inspector

Nvidia Inspector - google
https://www.google.com/search?q=nvidia+inspector