PDA

View Full Version : G750JX - How to upgrade all of the four RAM-Slots without breaking warranty?

Magnetone
06-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Hi,

i know there are many disassembling videos around on how to access the other 2 ram slots right underneath the keyboard.
But how can i upgrade RAM without breaking warranty? Do i have to send the machine to a licensed asus service?

Thanks

Max

ZiggZagg
06-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Hello Magnetone... yeah sending your JX into a certified repair station would be the best way to upgrade memory without voiding the warranty but it would also be time consuming. How much memory do you now have? It is said that anything over 12gb is somewhat of an overkill even with today's games and 8gb is just about right. If it was me I'd wait until it was out of warranty and do it myself by following one of the dis assembly videos online. Another thing you might have to worry about when sending the machine in for work/upgrade is that it might come back with a different problem that it didn't have before. It's really up to the individual as always. The JX is a '*****in' machine (I own one:o).

ZZ

Magnetone
06-30-2014, 04:28 PM
hi,

right now i am sitting at 8 gb ram, which should be enough to handle every day stuff, but when it comes to virtual machines of course it is limiting and slowing down operations. I dont urgently need to have multiple vm's running simultaniously on this particular machine, but would've been nice to have.

Thinking of it, i also don't feel like it's a good idea to send/give away your computer to someone else to open, just to change or upgrade RAM. As you also mentioned god knows what side effects that may have.

So i guess i'll follow your advice and wait for warranty to run out before getting my geek on ;).

Thanks

Max

ZiggZagg
06-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Magnetone you can get 2 8gb sticks of memory (1.35v of course) and install them in the two accessable slots. That would give you 24gb straight up until warrenty lapses. That's enough to run even upcomming generations of games barring neccessary CPU upgrades... which isn't possible on the JX anyway. The thing I miss or would like have had activated on the JX is the INTEL 4600 graphic capability which is still on the 4700HQ CPU but is deactivated...shucks!

ZZ

Magnetone
06-30-2014, 06:52 PM
hi ZZ,

if it would have been activated, wouldn't we have to mess around with optimus then? I bought the jx on purpose just to bypass switchable graphics amongst other things as there seem to be too many problems that come with it.

Regards,

Max

Maxter
06-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Good question and the answers posted also good. I am just wondering why would you update beyond 8GB? I run Leagues, Titanfall and have several pics processing through photoshop, all at the same time and I've never been able to fill beyond 5GB :confused: (why do I run 2 games at the same time? 'coz this is 'MERICA!)