PDA

View Full Version : Bringing new life to Asus G74SX - Not Powering On Problem

chasetheracer
07-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Asus G74SX Sorry

Hello! My brother wanted me to see if i could get his old gaming laptop going. Here is what I know about it

1. The battery died slowly to the point where it wouldn't hold a charge
2. he said it wouldn't turn on with the power cord plugged in
3. It fell from 7ft to a carpet floor

I really don't know much about this laptop, other than i only have the laptop. I don't have a power cord.

Is there any way I can bring this computer back to life??

Thanks in advance!!!

chrsplmr
07-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Chase .. Welcome to ROG.

First step would be to order a power brick (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=g74sx+power+adapter) .. later (if it works) you can get a battery.
A 7foot drop can go either way .. if it was on at the time of drop .. :( could be bad news.
Until you have power to the unit .. ummmm .. ???

Best of Luck. Please keep us posted. .c.

chasetheracer
07-01-2014, 05:05 PM
No it dropped today actually. That is what wanted him to see if I could get it running. xD

Do you have a recommended replacement power brick? I would rather not spend $60 on a oem power adapter to find out it doesn't work. :/

My brother also said he thinks the power cable connection on the laptop its self is the problem. Is that a fix I can do?

chasetheracer
07-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Update: Found a compatible charging cable. Battery light is solid. Boots up to ASUS logo then shuts off. Going to leave it on the charger for a while then try again.

cl-Albert
07-03-2014, 02:22 AM
In case your adapter does not have the correct wattage don't forget to compare on battery power (unplugged) as well as on AC power if it keeps shutting off when plugged in which could be caused by an AC adapter that is not providing enough power.

Good luck!

chasetheracer
07-03-2014, 08:11 PM
In case your adapter does not have the correct wattage don't forget to compare on battery power (unplugged) as well as on AC power if it keeps shutting off when plugged in which could be caused by an AC adapter that is not providing enough power.

Good luck!
That's the problem. But unfortunately the battery is also shot. So I cant charge the battery to even use the laptop at all.

What I need to do:
1. Resolder adapter port
2. Purchase a new bbattery

After that, it should be good to go.

chasetheracer
07-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Update 2: After resoldering the positive point on the jack. The computer is fully working. Even the battery is charging??? But when the computer first starts the computer glitches between plugged and unplugged ( possibly due to my bad soldering skills. ) Installing some games to test it out.