PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing/Humming Noise Coming from G750JS-TS71

kraver0
07-02-2014, 05:23 AM
My notebook has this faint buzzing/humming/beeping noise coming from the center between the keyboard and the screen.

This notebook is only 3 days old, and I just started noticing this noise today. It's not the fan nor the hard drive. The sounds are completely separate from the buzzing/beeping noises.

Is this normal?

hmscott
07-02-2014, 05:26 AM
My notebook has this faint buzzing/humming noise coming from the center between the keyboard and the screen.
This notebook is only 3 days old, and I just started noticing this noise today. It's not the fan nor the hard drive. The sounds are completely separate from the buzzing noises.
Is this normal?

kraver0, do you have the keyboard backlight on? Does the buzzing go away when you turn off the keyboard backlight? Is the buzzing there at all brightness settings of the keyboard backlight?

If not the keyboard backlight, same questions about the screen brightness - is the buzzing less / more at different brightness levels?

Darnassus
07-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Is there a bumble bee in your compy? ':x

Or is it your speakers getting some feedback / interference?!

Have you tried to:

--turn on MUTE on your volume via FN + F10

--unplug your laptop from power and listen if problem persists

--turn off screen via FN + F7 and listen if problem persists

--confirm it isn't your hard drive (mechanical)

--run a benchmark (put under load) to see if the buzzing gets louder

--turn the computer on (cold boot) and listen if it happens from the start

--turned the laptop around and listened closely to the fan holes, to check if it's the fan

--felt the laptop all over to test if it's a vibration, or a sound emitted from an audio device

---- If none of these work to your avail. I suggest putting a pot plant on top of your compy, to lure the bumble bee away! <3 :3

Remember, do not hurt the bumble bee, or I will hurt yooou!! >;x

kraver0
07-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Okay.

The noise only happens when my notebook is on IDLE.
When it's on load, the fans start up so I probably can't hear it.

It's not the brightness nor the keyboard backlight.

I thought it was coming from the speakers at first, but I'm not too sure anymore. Mute did not change anything, and some of the potential causes of the noises you guys mentioned is not it either.

I bought this laptop from a retail TigerDirect store, and they don't have these in stock anymore. So, I would have to return it for a refund, and I doubt they won't charge me a 15% restocking fee for an issue such as this.

Gah, this is why I hate buying new PCs. Problems/issues Everytime. Why can't I ever get one PC without any defects.

hmscott
07-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Okay.

The noise only happens when my notebook is on IDLE.
When it's on load, the fans start up so I probably can't hear it.

It's not the brightness nor the keyboard backlight.

I thought it was coming from the speakers at first, but I'm not too sure anymore. Mute did not change anything, and some of the potential causes of the noises you guys mentioned is not it either.

kraver0, does it stop when you pull the AC power, and run on battery?

Conduction can cause disk spin noise to migrate and come out at different spots... that is a bit far, but there are cables that run from the drive bays and come out under the motherboard around that area, it might be a slight vibration and a pull tag buzzing against plastic.

I don't know what your disk layout is, but if you have 2 drives, try pulling the 2nd bay drive, and power up and see if that was it.

kraver0
07-02-2014, 12:49 PM
kraver0, does it stop when you pull the AC power, and run on battery?

Conduction can cause disk spin noise to migrate and come out at different spots... that is a bit far, but there are cables that run from the drive bays and come out under the motherboard around that area, it might be a slight vibration and a pull tag buzzing against plastic.

I don't know what your disk layout is, but if you have 2 drives, try pulling the 2nd bay drive, and power up and see if that was it.

Will my manufacturer's warranty get voided if I open the laptop?

My drive on the bottom right corner makes this crackling sound, and what you said about conduction may be right. However, I can hear the hard drive spinning sound and the buzzing noise simultaneously at different frequencies.

I also tried it in battery mode, but that's not it either.

kraver0
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Also, the sound is not solely a buzzing sound.

It's a mix between beeping/humming/static, and a little buzzing. I don't know how else to describe it. I apologize.

It sounds more like:
"Bpbpbpbpb.pbppbpbpb..pbpbpbpb" and it's a continuous sound that doesn't seem to stop unless I restart my PC or go back to the login screen.

After I restart my PC and go back to the desktop, the sound doesn't occur until 2-3 minutes later, it starts coming back.

hmscott
07-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Will my manufacturer's warranty get voided if I open the laptop?
My drive on the bottom right corner makes this crackling sound, and what you said about conduction may be right. However, I can hear the hard drive spinning sound and the buzzing noise simultaneously at different frequencies.
I also tried it in battery mode, but that's not it either.

Also, the sound is not solely a buzzing sound.
It's a mix between beeping/humming/static, and a little buzzing. I don't know how else to describe it. I apologize.
It sounds more like:
"Bpbpbpbpb.pbppbpbpb..pbpbpbpb" and it's a continuous sound that doesn't seem to stop unless I restart my PC or go back to the login screen.
After I restart my PC and go back to the desktop, the sound doesn't occur until 2-3 minutes later, it starts coming back.

kraver0, the drive bays are ok, and the memory slots on the bottom, anything you can access through the bottom access panel is ok. Pulling the screen and the top panel to get at the top memory slots / motherboard area is a no-no.

It almost sounds like the drive is going idle, turn off / parked head / sleep mode, you could try setting the turn off time to never ( 0 ).

And, disable APM with quiethdd, with these settings in the quiethdd.ini file

FirstRun = 0
AC_APM_Value = 255
DC_APM_Value = 255
AC_AAM_Value = 254
DC_AAM_Value = 254
AAMEnabled = 1
APMEnabled = 1

quiethdd download
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

kraver0
07-02-2014, 02:00 PM
kraver0, the drive bays are ok, and the memory slots on the bottom, anything you can access through the bottom access panel is ok. Pulling the screen and the top panel to get at the top memory slots / motherboard area is a no-no.

It almost sounds like the drive is going idle, turn off / parked head / sleep mode, you could try setting the turn off time to never ( 0 ).

And, disable APM with quiethdd, with these settings in the quiethdd.ini file

FirstRun = 0
AC_APM_Value = 255
DC_APM_Value = 255
AC_AAM_Value = 254
DC_AAM_Value = 254
AAMEnabled = 1
APMEnabled = 1

quiethdd download
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

I'm currently at class, but I will definitely try this out.

It may be a coincidence, but I noticed when the hard drive goes idle, that's when I start hearing the buzzing noise.
But I'm not sure though.

Thanks for your help.

kraver0
07-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Actually.. When I turned off the screen via FN + F7, the noise completely disappeared.
Wow, thank you Darnassus for narrowing that down.

But.. What does that mean?

Is my screen defective?

Darnassus
07-02-2014, 08:09 PM
Welcomes ;d

Possibly a condenser / capacitor isn't happy. Try lower your screen refresh and test if frequency of noise changes. If on 40hz noise goes lower, maybe up refresh up to 70 to make it higher you cant hear it. But do this at your own risk if you're desperate for it to stop (chances might not). I think you have a faulty screen capacitor somewhere, or your ribbon isn't seated right.

If refresh doesn't change the noise, try brightness level.

--Does your screen flicker if you open and close the lid?

--PLEASE try unplugging from your charger and check if sound persists?

Recommendation; You should take it back under the fact it's a potential electrical hazard for a full refund / demand a replacement ordered.

P.S. are you sure it's not a bumbling bumble bee? ;d

kraver0
07-03-2014, 03:09 AM
I got my notebook exchanged for a brand new one. Apparently, they had one in stock, so I picked it up.

And guess what? It still makes the exact same noise.
-sigh- I'm just going to assume it's normal and move on.

Are you guys telling me that your notebook is completely silent? Except for the fans and the disk drives?

hmscott
07-03-2014, 06:04 AM
I got my notebook exchanged for a brand new one. Apparently, they had one in stock, so I picked it up.
And guess what? It still makes the exact same noise.
-sigh- I'm just going to assume it's normal and move on.
Are you guys telling me that your notebook is completely silent? Except for the fans and the disk drives?

kraver0, noone has reported it here in the last year, that I have seen, so I googled it, and nothing came up... but this has been a problem on other laptops, so it isn't surprising that it hit the G750 too.

It has happened in the past that someone had a G750 failure of some kind, and picked up another G750 from the same store / shipment / build batch and the problem was in those too...

I have fans running, and other computers, so I couldn't hear a faint noise, but when I get to a more silent location I will check it out.

Anyone else hear it?

It might just be you kraver0... ;)
https://www.google.com/search?num=50&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=tUw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&q=I+can+hear+dog+whistles&spell=1&sa=X&ei=gvG0U73oM5SgyASJ-4GIAQ&ved=0CBwQvwUoAA&biw=960&bih=486

Darnassus
07-03-2014, 08:56 AM
You should've put a mark on the laptop somewhere, that way you can tell if they've just sent you back the same one. ;x

By the way.. I hear high frequencies but my parents can't. I go psycho when I walk into the lounge room since the router in there has a transformer that makes a high pitched squealing sound, yet my parents and grandparents can't hear it.

I cannot hear anything related to what you're hearing, especially with the fans off.

You still haven't answered our questions.. Mr. ;c

kraver0
07-03-2014, 11:15 AM
kraver0, noone has reported it here in the last year, that I have seen, so I googled it, and nothing came up... but this has been a problem on other laptops, so it isn't surprising that it hit the G750 too.

It has happened in the past that someone had a G750 failure of some kind, and picked up another G750 from the same store / shipment / build batch and the problem was in those too...

I have fans running, and other computers, so I couldn't hear a faint noise, but when I get to a more silent location I will check it out.

Anyone else hear it?

It might just be you kraver0... ;)
https://www.google.com/search?num=50&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=tUw&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&q=I+can+hear+dog+whistles&spell=1&sa=X&ei=gvG0U73oM5SgyASJ-4GIAQ&ved=0CBwQvwUoAA&biw=960&bih=486

Well this person appears to be having a similar problem: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48912-CPU-IDLE-hiss&country=&status=

I do apologize for making you move your laptop to a quieter place for my own sake. Thank you, as well.

The static/humming noise only becomes noticeable when your PC is completely idle. Installing a program or scanning appears to stop the noise. However, solely browsing thru the web may or may not stop it.

Please let me know if you've noticed anything. Thank you!

kraver0
07-03-2014, 11:18 AM
You should've put a mark on the laptop somewhere, that way you can tell if they've just sent you back the same one. ;x

By the way.. I hear high frequencies but my parents can't. I go psycho when I walk into the lounge room since the router in there has a transformer that makes a high pitched squealing sound, yet my parents and grandparents can't hear it.

I cannot hear anything related to what you're hearing, especially with the fans off.

You still haven't answered our questions.. Mr. ;c

I got the exchange at the retail store. So yes, it's definitely a brand new one lol.

About the bumble bee? You know.. You may just be right. Perhaps they built these notebooks near beehives.

hmscott
07-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Well this person appears to be having a similar problem: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48912-CPU-IDLE-hiss&country=&status=
I do apologize for making you move your laptop to a quieter place for my own sake. Thank you, as well.
The static/humming noise only becomes noticeable when your PC is completely idle. Installing a program or scanning appears to stop the noise. However, solely browsing thru the web may or may not stop it.
Please let me know if you've noticed anything. Thank you!

kraver0, I don't hear anything on my JH.

It is possible this is a new build issue, parts change or something, that is causing this new noise. You probably want to report this to Asus with details asap so that they can debug at their end and fix it before they build any more with the problem.

You can register a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with well stated details for them to recreate and fix. Then you can RMA your laptop to get it fixed.
http://vip.asus.com

kraver0
07-03-2014, 12:32 PM
kraver0, I don't hear anything on my JH.

It is possible this is a new build issue, parts change or something, that is causing this new noise. You probably want to report this to Asus with details asap so that they can debug at their end and fix it before they build any more with the problem.

You can register a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry with well stated details for them to recreate and fix. Then you can RMA your laptop to get it fixed.
http://vip.asus.com

Nah, it's fine. I don't want to go through all that because in the end, they'll probably say it's "normal" or some BS like that. This is my first Asus product so it may not be like that.

However,their technical support over the phone is horrid. No offense, but they seem to know very little about their products, and they keep pestering me to RMA it without giving ANY other suggestions (called them 5 times).

Anyhow, thank you guys for your time. I wish more people had responded if they have this issue as well.

kraver0
07-03-2014, 12:43 PM
To the people who were watching/reading my thread hoping to find a solution, there may be a solution from here:

http://asusnoise.blogspot.cz/2011/01/certain-lines-of-asus-laptops-include-k.html?m=1

I'm currently heading to work, but I'm definitely going to try some of these suggestions mentioned in the comments section later tonight.

hmscott
07-03-2014, 12:59 PM
To the people who were watching/reading my thread hoping to find a solution, there may be a solution from here:

http://asusnoise.blogspot.cz/2011/01/certain-lines-of-asus-laptops-include-k.html?m=1

I'm currently heading to work, but I'm definitely going to try some of these suggestions mentioned in the comments section later tonight.

kraver0, that fix has a list of laptops, and the G750 isn't on the list. And, the fix says to make a change that isn't available on my G750:

Advance Power Settings -->
Processor Power Management -->
Processor Idle Disable
Set both of them to Disable Idle.
Voila! No more high pitched noise.

Here is what I see in Processor Power Management

Although the exact settings aren't available as shown, you could set the Power Plan Processor Power Management CPU Min/Max to 100%/100%, which would be functionally equivalent - running the processor all the time at the highest clock rate.

The High Performance Power Plan does this already, so you could try switching to that and see if the noise goes away - you don't have to leave it there, but just test it. But, this is a fix for a different problem, so it will likely have no effect on the noise you are hearing.

What you are hearing is the LCD back-light ballast making noise, so it is likely a hardware fix/change.

kraver0
07-03-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm not following this solution, as people have stated it leads to higher CPU temperatures.

Read the comments below. Their solutions may or may not work.

hmscott
07-03-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm not following this solution, as people have stated it leads to higher CPU temperatures.

Read the comments below. Their solutions may or may not work.

It would run hotter, as it won't allow the CPU to IDLE.

Brendon Luna
01-20-2016, 04:45 PM
Same problem with the same notebook. Is there any other fix then disable idle mode for processor? Thanks.